Start by marking “The Situation Worsens: A Box of Unfortunate Events, Books 4-6 (The Miserable Mill; The Austere Academy; The Ersatz Elevator)” as Want to Read:

The Situation Worsens: A Box of Unfortunate Events, Books 4-6 (A Series of Unfortunate Events #4-6)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  715 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews

What could be worse than a book by Lemony Snicket? Three books by Lemony Snicket—all in one foul package. This second Box of Unfortunate Events, contains The Miserable Mill, The Austere Academy, and The Ersatz Elevator.

Book Details: Format: Box Set Publication Date: 11/5/2002 Pages: 848 Reading Level: Age 8 and Up
Published November 5th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Situation Worsens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Situation Worsens

Kate
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Awesome series. Even as an adult I enjoy them, they're fast reads and they keep my attention. I definitely recommend them.
Dramapuppy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty consistent. I'm getting more attached to the characters now. Snicket is getting better at slipping the word definitions in with humor, which I appreciate. (view spoiler)

Unfortunately, I'm getting a little bored of the formula. I can handle the -new location-disguised Olaf-kids save the day- thing. That's fun. I just need to stop hearing each individual child explain that they hope their sing
Skoldasy
[3.5/5]

Nouveau tome, nouveaux problèmes pour les orphelins. Dans « Cauchemar à la Scierie », ils découvrent un nouveau tuteur dont l’identité reste totalement secrète. Ils sont considérés comme des employés par le patron. Évidemment, les péripéties arrivent très vites notamment avec les plans diaboliques du comte Olaf.
Dans « Piège au collège », les enfants doivent faire face à un épouvantable directeur d’orphelinat et leur ennemi de toujours. Contrairement aux tomes précédents, il y a un nouvea
Katherine
Again all the adult in the story are complete idiots - I swear they haven't got one brain cell with in their heads to understand the easiest things to figure out.

Mostly all the adults in this series are annoying, idiotic beings. As Count Olaf has said in the past 'No one ever listens to children.' No duh! But this is the only way the series would exist if the adults weren't like this way but still its still frustrating.

The series is so predicable - Children get taken to new home with people t
Syd Lindblom
The new Netflix adaptation made me crave these. I can't believe I never finished this series when they were coming out; I think I was just slightly too old for them at the time, but now I am truly appreciating how clever they are.

Well, it's hard to review these as a collective when this is actually three books. Yes, they are slightly ridiculous. The Austere Academy and The Ersatz Elevator are definitely some of the weaker links in the series, but this is all about building the mystery.
Tiffany
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with a crazy sense of humour!
Shelves: fiction, humour, series, youth
Again, Lemony Snicket made me laugh so hard, I love his sense of humour, his style of writing, and the illustrations in the books. I love the bevelled pages and the retro-style hardcovers. I loved everything about these books, including how the narrator tries to steer us clear of how terrible they are, and into much happier books with heartwarming plotlines. I think these are very different from the regular children's books, and I would love children who think outside the box to find them. The m ...more
angrykitty
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-teens
again....can't seem to get individual books....except 6...book 4.....didn't really like....but liked the gum....book 5....also thought this one was kinda lame...but then again....i find carmelita beyond annoying.....book 6....again....see individual review...
Whitney
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
(this is really just for book 6 because I can't find just the book itself). Another sad read but amazingly written with almost a sense of humor.
Paul
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Super cool
Mcg Hogg high Hogg Hogg Hogg. Highly Hogg :/ high school and college students to the gym now I have no clue where to go

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
four was okay, five was really awesome, and six was pretty good. 3, 5, and 4. I like how they finally have some friends in the fifth, and how it's at school.
Saima Usmani
Jan 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
like now the story gets really repetitive and i begin to not care.
Jacque
Apr 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
the miserable mill was slightly confusing, and i wish they would have illustrated more. but the others were great!
Theresa Vencill
Dec 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
I read all of them. I think they are terrible but nine year old like them.
Paul Krieg
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book in series yet!

Best book in series yet! Just about to read next book in series! Best book I have every read really!
Danielle
Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2016
Nikita Maes
May 05, 2016
  • Witch Avenue Series (Witch Avenue, #1-4)
  • Ludo and the Star Horse
  • Mushishi, Vol. 8/9/10
  • The Adventures of Amelia Bedelia
  • Song in the Dark (Vampire Files, #11)
  • The Shadowmancer Returns: The Curse of Salamander Street (Shadowmancer, #2)
  • The Stolen Kingdom
  • Foreseen (Rothston, #1)
  • Wizard's Hall
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles and The Secret Adversary (Complete Mystery Novel Collection of Agatha Christie Vol. 1)
  • Esrever Doom (Xanth, #37)
  • Mercy Watson: #1-2 [Collection Volume I]
  • Games Wizards Play (Young Wizards, #10)
  • Born Innocent (Nacida Inocente, #1)
  • The Essential Book of Useless Information: The Most Unimportant Things You'll Never Need to Know (The New York Times Bestselling)
  • Art for Dummies
  • Explosive Experiments (Horrible Science)
  • The Adventures Of Tintin : Breaking Free

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
“two things that should be avoided at all costs,” 0 likes