Start by marking “The New Peoplemaking” as Want to Read:
The New Peoplemaking

The New Peoplemaking

Revised and expanded seminal work on families, with more than a million copies sold in 12 languages. The New Peoplemaking expresses Satir's most evolved thoughts on self-worth, communication, family systems, and the ways in which people relate to one another. Drawn on Satir's lifetime of experience with thousands of families around the world, it is written in the engaging ...more
Published 1988 by Science and Behavior Books

Murray
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching, psychology
NLP is well known amongst those searching for quick-fix psychology. What is less well known is that Virginia Satir was one of the brilliant psychologists who inspired the founders of the NLP approach. Her work on family therapy has hardly been surpassed.

In my work I often refer to her idea of "the pot of goodwill"; she applied this to families she worked with. If the pot was well filled, then a family would have a chance of healing no matter how difficult the problems they faced. The same is tr
Kristen
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Just as I believe that everyone can get something out of therapy, I believe all family constructs could get something out of family therapy, aka. this book. I read this very slowly, savoring each chapter and trying to learn from it. She comes up with some great games to assist with applying the knowledge. I guess my favorite chapter is the one on communication. I enjoyed thinking about the four ways people handle negative results of stress. Placating, Blaming, Computing, Distracting.
I love that
Jesus (Ego)
Desde que descubrí Peoplemaking quise leerlo. Tenía entendido que a la autora la "marginaban" un poco en algunos entornos sistémicos y no le dedicaban tanta atención como a otros autores y eso me picaba la curiosidad. Me ha costado bastante encontrar esta obra, principalmente porque no sabía que había una revisión (New Peoplemaking) y que lo habían publicado con otro nombre (el nombre que lleva en esta edición). Tras leerlo entiendo por qué, a pesar de enmarcarse dentro de la corriente sistémica ...more
Tiffany Reddick
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever been told that something was wrong with you because you were different? But being different is not valid critique. You're supposed to be different. Virginia Satir would say so. Satir, family therapist, remind us that "It is in honoring all parts of ourselves and being free to accept those parts that we lay the groundwork for high self-esteem. To do otherwise is to thwart nature."

I'm quiet and wishy-washy, whereas, you might be bold and self-assured. Either of us can be abused, tol
Richard Stephenson
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was amazing.

I am a big fan of families, the mind, and how they all work together. I'm also *very* interested in the folks Bandler and Grinder said they based their original NLP research on. After reading Satir's contribution to the 'technology' I can give myself permission to understand. :)

Good exercises (though some are a bit of a stretch), beautiful use of language, and some wonderful approaches to framing life for the better. The Satir Approach to Family & Life, the 5 types o
Jules
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this book and found it very informative and
reassuring. Satir writes with deep compassion and includes several examples from her own life. Her thoughts on self-worth, communication, family systems, and the ways in which people relate to one another helps the reader understand where conflict begins (family relations).
Ilya
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book on how to better relate to people, recognise & avoid communication traps & have better relationships.
Luann
Mar 10, 2017 added it
I hate writing in books. I underlined and starred and <3-ed all over this book despite its tendency towards misogyny. There are parts which are obvious and parts that are stereotypical and gender biased but she has tools for communication and understanding, including exercises to do together. The parts I highlighted are not on every page or in every chapter but scattered throughout the book. It's written in 1988 so she seems to have her own view of what a male is and what a female is. Taking ...more
Man's Search For Meaning
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Öncelikle Virginia Satir 'ı 'Yaşantısal Aile Terapisi'nin kurucusu olarak tanıdım ve kuramı,düşünceleri,yaklaşımı hakkında bir önbilgim var idi.Ancak bu kitabı okumamla beraber gerçekten çok fazla şey öğrendiğimi hissettim.Çok fazla cümlenin altını çizdim ,birçok sayfaya işaret koydum.Üstelik kitabın en harika cümlelerini içeren 'Benim Özdeğer Bildirgem'kısmını da çalışma masamın tam karşısına astım.
Eğer psikolojiye ,özellikle de aile terapisine,ilginiz var ise okumanızı şiddetle tavsiye ederim.
Dimitrakom3
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Πρόκειται για ενα εξαιρετικό βιβλιο που δεν πραγματεύεται απλως το πως να μεγαλώσεις ψυχικά ισσοροπημενα παιδια αλλα και πως θα βελτιώσεις τον εαυτο σου.Εμεις οι άνθρωποι έχουμε πολλούς "δαίμονες "που φοβόμαστε να αντιμετωπίσουμε έχοντας ως αποτέλεσμα την ψυχοσυναισθηματική μας επιβάρυνση.Το συγκεκριμένο βιβλιο μεσα απο παραδείγματα και πρακτικές σε βοηθαει να μπορέσεις να απελευθερωθεις απο τα δεσμά σου και να επικοινωνήσεις πραγματικά με την οικογενεια σου.Στοχος του φυσικά ειναι να σε βοηθήσε ...more
Azuma
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-work, therapy
basic book of human interaciton and family relationship.
i want to read many times.
Betül Bozkurt
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aile terapisti hareketinin anası olarak görülen Virginia Satir’in enfes kitabı❤ İçeriğinde uygulanabilir ve faydalanılabilir tavsiyeler barındıran kitapları seviyorum. Bu da öyle işte... ...more
Mary Karpel-Jergic
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
Virginia Satir influenced the founders of Neurolinguistic Programming; Richard Bandler and John Grinder so I was interested to explore the links. I was surprised to find out that Virginia pioneered family therapy. Prompted by her own childhood, very early on in her life she decided that she wanted to be a children's detective on parents! Her work deeply examines the way in which our families influence our feelings and behaviour. After working with countless families she suggests that each one ca ...more
John Hill
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In the late sixties, Satir was working in the boy's club and as such, she was given the most difficult patients, as the guys preferred the "worried well." She was fortunate to be able to observe and understand family dynamics in a way that was never seen before. The New Peoplemaking is a book for everyone, highly readable, and full of information that would benefit all those in a long term relationship. I think that Satir, from Conjoint Family Therapy, doesn't think too highly of "Soulmates." Sh ...more
Funda Barutçu
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Birçok ailelerde ebeveynler çocuklarına henüz kendilerinin bile bilmediği şeyleri öğretmeye çalışmaktadırlar. Örneğin; öfkesini kontrol etmeyi öğrenememiş bir yetişkin, çocuğuna bunu asla öğretemez. Bir çocuğu yetişkinlerin kusurlarının gölgesinde yetiştirmek kadar olumsuz bir şey daha yoktur."

"Belki de ebeveynler için en büyük zorluk tohumlarımızı iyi umutlarla ektikten sonra hangi çiçeklerin ortaya çıkacağını görmeyi beklemektir.Hedef bir çocuğun nasıl olması gerektiği konusunda önyargılar ta
Julie Shick
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
The book started well. It stated many promising points to improve communication and how we see our place in the family unit and the world. Halfway through the book I found myself just wanting it to be done. I stopped and read The Help for a brake from the heavy thinking and introspective thoughts. It may have been that I had just finished reading 4 or 5 heavy and or educational books. My brain is tired at this point. I feel like I have just finished a semester of full time college work. I don't ...more
Cristina Darabut
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I appreciate the fact the book was written using common vocabulary to make accesible to the masses and that it contained practical parts or exercises to be implemented immediatly. However, the disappointing part for me it was the little or inexistance of new elements or "Aha" moments. From the category of "help yourself" books this scores the lowest. To end on a positive note, maybe I did remain with a lot of things from this book, at an unconcious level for the time being.
Doug Slinn
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Satir had a way of discussing families, child rearing and personalities in a way which I could relate and have thought similarly for years, but lacked the eloquence to put into words. It was wonderful to read an author who i could identify with so easily. Her metaphor of low-pot/high pot is one I've heard in passing for years but never known the origin of, which was an interesting byproduct of reading her book.
Joy Fox
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Virgina Satir is the most videotaped family and marriage therapist. She passed away, but this is a landmark book that talks about the family as a system. This is an important book for any therapist who will be working with families and couples.
Daniel
Nov 01, 2010 marked it as not-read
If you get passed that though the book achieved it's goal of being a book about how to improve your family if your willing to let you self feel a little silly it can really be a helpful tool to help the family grow together.
Oct 31, 2008 is currently reading it
I haven't completed this one yet, but am enjoying it so far...learning a lot. I think it's worth your time if you have an interest in how families communicate and/or how to improve family communications.
Drew
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good thoughts and advice about family dynamics and raising children. Made me think about how I help people, how I was raised and how that affected me, and how I interact with others. I wasn't in love with the writing all the time but solid ideas.
Kira Austin-Young
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
I read this book during my CPE residency. It is useful for thinking about family dynamics and conflict management. However, the drawings are goofy and distracting. It is very accessible for laypeople, and I would recommend it to anyone struggling with their family.
Aljan
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
���I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason, I found this book tedious. I didn't make it 1/3 of the way through before I stopped reading.
Jessica Richards
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. She offers great insights on how to help dysfunctional families become healthy, nurturing families. Definitely a must have for counselors or people who frequently work with families.
Paulina
un complemento bastante rico para aquellos que desean entender la dinamica familiar, la aceptacion de los roles personales y la integracion de la familia como una sola celula.
Rachelle
Sep 25, 2010
Stefan Deaconu
Mar 04, 2019

• Families and Family Therapy
  • Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
  • The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Repressed Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 4)
  • The Family Crucible: The Intense Experience of Family Therapy
  • Freedom and Destiny
  • The Interpersonal World Of The Infant: A View from Psychoanalysis and Developmental Psychology
  • The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness and Finding Your True Adult Self
  • Family Therapy: An Overview
  • Dream Analysis 1: Notes of the Seminar Given in 1928-30
  • Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy
  • The Structure of Magic II
  • Borderline Conditions and Pathological Narcissism
  • EMDR: The Breakthrough ""Eye Movement"" Therapy For Overcoming Anxiety, Stress, And Trauma
  • Inside Therapy: Illuminating Writings About Therapists, Patients, and Psychotherapy
  • Into the Minds of Babes: How Screen Time Affects Children From Birth to Age Five
  • Psychotherapy without the Self: A Buddhist Perspective
  • Bipolar Disorder Demystified: Mastering the Tightrope of Manic Depression
  • Prisoners of Hate: The Cognitive Basis of Anger, Hostility, and Violence
Virginia Satir (1916 – 1988) was an American author and psychotherapist, known especially for her approach to family therapy and her work with Systemic Constellations. She is widely regarded as the "Mother of Family Therapy" Her most well-known books are Conjoint Family Therapy, 1964, Peoplemaking, 1972, and The New Peoplemaking, 1988.

She is also known for creating the Virginia Satir Change Proces
“Los niños necesitan que sus padres sean sus amigos tanto como un balazo.” 1 likes
“Nicio persoană care simte că provine din oameni răi, diabolici nu poate avea o părere bună despre sine.” 0 likes