Start by marking “The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)

The Emperor's Tomb

(Cotton Malone #6)

The tomb of China’s First Emperor, guarded by an underground army of terra-cotta warriors, has remained sealed for more than 2,000 years. Though it’s regarded as one of the greatest archaeological sites in the world, the Chinese government won’t allow anyone to open it. Why?
That question is at the heart of a dilemma faced by former Justice Department operative Cotton Mal
Published November 23rd 2010 by Ballantine Books

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is my least favorite of the Cotton Malone series. I'm grudgingly giving it three stars because I respect the research and travel Steve Berry did prior to writing the book. I did learn some interesting things about China and its history, and also discovered that there are some debates about the nature of what we consider fossil fuel.
As for the story, though, it was just too muddled and confusing. I could never keep track of who was on whose side and who was double-crossing and who was good
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 52-in-2011
Emperor’s Tomb by Steve Berry (pp. 480)

When the best thing you say about a thriller is that’s well researched, you know you’re in trouble. Cotton Malone and Cassiopeia Witt return in Berry’s sixth book to take the reader on a clunky journey to rescue a boy (weak premise at best) and get involved in a deep behind the scenes political intrigue in China.

From the start the premise misses the urgency of a thriller. The backroom politics of multiple Chinese men from the same areas of government seekin
Miles
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
When I grow up I want to be Cotton Malone!

There I’ve said it – I feel better now – now that I’ve been true to myself – I am Spartacus - I am Cotton Malone! If only life was that easy and exciting! The world would be a better place and I’d go to work satisfied that I’d made a difference!

Long before I opened Steve Berry’s “The Emperor’s Tomb” I knew I wanted to read it! Not only did it sport an incredibly seductive and colourful book jacket (UK version infinitely better than the US version) but th
 Olivermagnus
This is the sixth book in a series featuring retired Justice Department operative Cotton Malone. He receives an intense video of his friend, Cassiopeia Vitt, being waterboarded and knows he has to do whatever he can to save her. This set up Malone for one of his most traumatic adventures. He will travel from Denmark to Belgium to Vietnam and then on to China where he will be tested by ruthless ancient brotherhood.

It turns out several groups are searching for an artifact that is important to the
Piyangie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Only good thing was that I learned a bit of Chinese history. Apart from that, nothing impressed me. I virtually had to force my self to read and finish it.
Patrice Hoffman
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won't write a full review since I was only reading this for fun but I still feel compelled to throw my thoughts into the fray. I only have a few reasons why anyone should read this and those reasons are as followed:

1. You're a Steve Berry fan or Cotton Malone series fan!

2. It's fast, fun, and typical Berry...(which can sometimes be a bad thing if you're persnickety)

3. There is constant action coupled with pretty interesting historic facts yet those moments do not slow down the pace to a snails
Steven Z.
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Steve Berry’s sixth novel in his remarkable Cotton Malone series, THE EMPEROR’S TOMB has tremendous resonance in today’s geopolitical world. For example, Chinese leader XI JinPing recently had his presidency extended for life. Second, is the US, China, and Russian competition for energy resources and control of new land masses. Third, the world geostrategic balance is being reoriented through the use of new technologies. All of these contemporary issues are played out throughout Berry’s novel th ...more
Pamela
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
For some reason, this book by Steve Berry did not grab me the way that his other books have. In it Cotton Malone teams with Cassiopeia Vitt and travels from the museums of Europe to the terra cotta soldiers of China to rescue a stolen child. They become embroiled in a power struggle between Ni (a moderate) and Tang (an extremist) as each determines to be the next leader of China. Pau, the leader of the Ba (an organization of eununchs seeking control of China), forces this struggle to a head whil ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry photo fc56537b273b47984c9cd2c49e599b51_zpse2d9f183.jpg

A fast-paced thriller, The Emperor’s Tomb by Steve Berry is the 8th book in the Cotton Malone series and it pulls you from the moment Cotton is faced with having to save Cassiopeia Vitt’s life in exchange for an ancient Chinese artifact that different groups want and will do anything to get it in their possession.
He’s soon drawn into a power struggle in China, which takes him from Copenhagen, Antwerp and to the most incredible cultural sites in China.
The struggle between the two opponents, o
Giovanni Gelati
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Does Cotton Malone ever get to be behind the counter of his book store and actually sell a book to anyone? If so what would the book be and to what famous figure or character would he sell it? Fun thought? Well, since he didn’t sell any books this again, what exactly did he do with his bad self ?
“The tomb of China’s First Emperor, guarded by an underground army of terra-cotta warriors has remained sealed for more than 2,000 years. Though it’s regarded as one of the greatest archaeological sites
Greg
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I'll quote from the author, age page 170 of the hardback: "But none of this makes sense." Yes, exactly. However, a 5-page "Writer's Note" at the end of the book contains fascinating historical information. Unfortunately, it takes 428 pages to get there and these 428 pages are so choppy- jumping from scene to scene so quickly- that I was unable to get a sense of a decent narrative story. Some authors are good at this style of writing, some not so good and use this style, in my opinion, to cover u ...more
Syndi
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
not my kind of book.
Daniel Audet
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book a few minutes ago, and, among other writerly thoughts I'm walking away with an awestruck kind of respect for Berry's masterful use of multiple POV's as well his his fine tuned use of sweeping historical relevance in both his subplot and main storyline. Narration, dialogue, back-story - all woven into a spectacular tale. Love is the hardest thing to add to this kind of action thriller, in the sense that our hero Cotton Malone is, well, who he is. A capable "machine" of a man ...more
Elaine Seiler
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. If you enjoy an engaging story, against a fabulous landscape, with an amazing amount of history thrown in, this is for you. I have read a lot of books on China and I still learned a lot. A very intriguing picture of the socio-political conflict that has come down through the ages of Chinese history and brings us right into current time with the need for oil and authority being paramount. Steve tells a really good story....his characters are interesting and his descriptions of the Chi ...more
Mary
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berry brings China and its history to life with the lastest adventure of Cotton Malone. With lots of betrayals, and agents involved from the US and Russia and high ranking officials in China this mission gets really tangled over the retrieval of a little boy. Parts of the story are somwhat complicated and it gets a little tough to follow and you may find yourself re-reading parts of it. But I have found that in several of his books. However, I did like learning some of China's history.
RumBelle
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Not the most exciting of Steve Berry's books. The Chinese history angle is fascinating. However, the subplot about oil reserves is tedious, somewhat boring and makes the book too long. Overall, it has exciting moments, but it can be slow at points.
Ivi
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it... Steve Berry Never Disappoints me, I swear it on my life!!! ;)))
Marie80
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Приказната не беше нешто посебно, меѓутоа историските факти беа навистина интересни!!!
Lucie
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The history of China is long and varied, and a great deal of it comes into play in the plot of this book. Understanding of Chinese history and Chinese mindset is important in our world today. Since so much of this well researched book is accurate, it is an introduction to China for someone with no previous exposure. The story was well written, fast, and intense -- all things that go into making a good thriller. Not only do I highly recommend it, I think I shall go read the rest of the series, ea ...more
İlkim
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gereksiz uzattım, aslında güzeldi. Steve Berry'i en son çocukken okumuştum; çocukken ağır bir polisiye ve macera aşkım vardı gerçekten, o aralar tanıştığım bir yazar olmuştu. Bilge Kültür kitaplarını basmaya devam etmiş, pek haberim yoktu aslında. Bunu da kütüphanede görünce bir şans vereyim dedim. Bir Dan Brown romanından beklentileriniz her neyse onu bu yazarda da bulabileceğinizi düşünüyorum. Ayrıca Çin'in iç ilişkilerini ve tarihini anlatması bakımından da bir hayli ilgi çekici buldum.
John Bastin
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story includes a long, slow slog through the history of China and its dynasties. Interesting information, if you care. To me, it just brought the flow to a crawl, and by the time I got to the ending, I really had lost all interest. Most of Steve Berry's books have been interesting and a learning experience; this one just didn't hit the mark for me.
Matt Halpern
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was not one of my favorite books of the Malone series so far. It was difficult to keep up with the names and who was who.
Rbucci
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a Steve Berry book in a while, and i forgot how Much i enjoy then. . This one didn't disappoint me.
John
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
A.M. Dean
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, I really did — and I wasn't necessarily expecting to, since I have a bit of a hot-and-cold relationship with some of Berry's books, and even with this Cotton Malone series itself. But I found this a pleasurable, interesting, entertaining and fast-paced read, which hooked me in and drew me along right from the beginning to the end.

Perhaps what I enjoyed the most was the heavy dosage of creative Chinese history and modern politics; these are really at the heart of the story, a
Angela Risner
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I panned Berry's last book, the Paris Vendetta. I was so disappointed in it.

I am happy to say that I was very happy with The Emperor's Tomb. This book is a huge step back in the right direction, toward the Cotton Malone escapades we have come to know and love.

First of all, Cotton seemed, well, like COTTON again. He just wants to sell his books, enjoying his quiet little life. But of course, that will not last, as he is soon pulled into a quest to save his dear friend and perhaps soon lover, Cass
Tony
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This book began with a very exciting prologue. I discovered much later, in Chapter 75, the exact same words, so it wasn't a Prologue, but an excerpt from much later.

Unfortunately, there was very little between the "Prologue" and Chapter 75 to keep my interest, and little after.

Goodreads lists this as Steve Berry's 6th Cotton Malone novel, but it was my 8th Steve Berry, so I guess two of his earlier ones didn't have Cotton Malone as the central character.

I enjoyed all the previous ones, but this
Nightowltoo
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Steve Berry's Emperor's tomb is escapist literature at its best. He hits all the required elements of the adventure/thriller genre - familiar recurring hero's (Cotton Malone and Cassiopeia Vitt), exotic locales (China and Belgium!?), historical mysteries (Chinese history and the 8000 man terra cotta army), chases gun-fire, explosions, women/children/fate of nations in jeopardy - without seeming stale.

Fans of Berry will not be disappointed. Which of course begs the question - can a new reader sta
Kim
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
The latest Steve Berry action-thriller takes Cotton to China with a conspiracy linking back to the first Chinese emperor. At first it reminded me a lot of The Tiger Warrior but thankfully went a different way and had it's own unique conspiracy.

As usual with these books I enjoy them mostly for the history, spending half my reading time looking up articles on Wikipedia. There were some interesting historical facts I picked up interspersed with the usual action scenes.

The relationship with Cotton
Srinath Padmanabhan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book starts off with a chasing sequence in the snow clad mountains of Pakistan China border - a perfect start for a action packed novel. Then gradually the story moves into the actual plot - a power struggle betweem 2 leaders of China and how Malone and Cassiopeia come in the line of fire. The book moves at a relatively fast pace as it is being narrated from different point of views. Even if one is slower, it lasts only for 3-4 pages and the next chapter compensates for it.There are so many ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Emperor's Tomb 1 5 Jun 04, 2012 11:50AM
  • The Templar Salvation (Templar, #2)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Devil Colony (Sigma Force, #7)
  • The Atlantis Prophecy (Conrad Yeats Adventure #2)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)
  • The Lost Throne (Payne & Jones, #4)
  • Temple of the Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)

Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of The Malta Exchange, The Bishop’s Pawn, , The Lost Order , The 14th Colony , The Patriot Threat , The Lincoln Myth , The King's Deception, The Columbus Affair , The Jefferson Key , The Emperor's Tomb , The Paris Vendetta ,

Cotton Malone (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1)
  • The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone, #2)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • The Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone, #4)
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)
  • The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone, #11)
“Study the past if you would define the future. --CONFUCIUS” 32 likes