Start by marking “The Secret of Chimneys” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Chimneys

The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  11,153 Ratings  ·  628 Reviews
What is The Secret of Chimneys? A young drifter finds out when a favor for a friend pulls him into the heart of a deadly conspiracy in this captivating classic from Agatha Christie.

Little did Anthony Cade suspect that an errand for a friend would place him at the center of a deadly conspiracy. Drawn into a web of intrigue, he begins to realize that the simple favor has pla
Published February 10th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 1925)

Jason Koivu
Rather silly at times - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not - The Secret of Chimneys is not one of Agatha Christie's finest works. It is, however, an enjoyable enough read for mystery fans who like a throwback.

When a rather dashing young drifter accepts a friend's job on the prospect of quick cash, he gets himself into a deep bit of doo-doo. This murder mystery amongst the upper classes draws in political intrigue at a lord's estate. A random and playfully portrayed cast of characters popula
Rebecca
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Finished it in one day. The amount of suspense and intrigue and the innumerable suspicious foreign characters had me racing through the pages. This was the first Superintendent Battle and he is the epitome of the British stiff upper lip- an impassive mask of a face in the most disastrous situations . The hero Anthony Cade with his nonchalant humor simply steals the show( I was reminded of Bertie Wooster of P.G.Wodehouse.). But the end left me with a tinge of disappointment. I sort of anticipate ...more
Deborah Ideiosepius
I have been re-reading a lot of Agatha Christie over the last couple of years, some have stood the test of time better than others and this is one of the better ones. It would be three and a half stars if possible.

In The Secret of Chimneys, Christie once again forsakes her 'traditional' heroes of Poirot and Miss Marple, while it is listed in compilations as 'Inspector Battle #1' Battle himself is not a central character at all, rather he is a foil for the main characters.

Chimneys is an ingenious
Ritwik
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Agatha Christie book.Maybe I am exhilarated at the moment after finishing the book and gave it a four but personally there are a lot of things that bothered me a trifle such as the repeated references to Sherlock Holmes and some racial slurs. The reason might be the mindset of the people during her(Agatha Christie's)days.
As expected from her,the twists and the turns in the last 50 pages or so kept me gripping. Her writing style is concise with a plot consisting of interesting characte
Damaskcat
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Cade agrees to undertake a commission for an old friend but he soon finds himself involved in something much more complex and more serious than he expected. A variety of people try to get hold of the manuscript which he is delivering to a London publisher in a variety of ways.

But all the plotting and planning leads the various protagonists to a complex denouement at a country house called Chimneys where Superintendent Battle and a man from the French police as well as various other peop
Dina
Blakely
Apr 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised to see that this review has an average rating of almost 4 stars.

I like most Agatha Christie books but when Christie deviates from her standard mysteries into political and international intrigue-type stories she doesn't do it well (see also "They Came to Baghdad" which I actually thought was better than this). The characters are fake and the conspiracies and coincidences are way too fantastic to be believed. At multiple points I considered putting the book down and not fi
Isabella
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie, one of the greatest mystery writers of all time - some would say the greatest - was one author whose works I found too creepy to read when I was a kid. (I have to blame this on my sis; she used to feed me Christie's stories when we were alone in our room at night with the lights turned off etc - and when images of dead bodies and children being murdered while bobbing for apples can be quite traumatising and scar one for life:D)

Anyway, when my interest in Agatha Christie was reki
Ana T.
The Secret of Chimneys is my final entry for the Cozy Mystery Challenge and I’m glad I ended with it because the whole story is just so cosy and a perfect example of the genre. It has a grand ancestral house with secret passages, mysterious deaths, famous thieves, compromising documents, disguised identities and fun characters. I really enjoyed it!

Somewhere in Africa, in the 1920s (the book was published in 1925) two friends meet and have a strange conversation about stolen love letters and the
Leslie
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had completely forgotten this first Superintendent Battle mystery. Quite fun with Balkan politics, international jewel thieves, blackmail and possible impostors, not to mention a murder or two!

Hugh Fraser does a marvelous narration.
Nadja
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Razrešetak misterije zanimljiv, 3.75 zvezdica
Obsidian
I can honestly say that I will probably never re-read this book in the future. It was honestly a trial to get through. The first 50 or so pages made no sense and then things get a bit smoother when Superintendent Battle arrives on the scene. But honestly, he is not even needed in this story since once again another person solves the crimes that are central to this story. I found the ending to be ridiculous and pretty implausible.

The central figure in this story is Anthony Cade. When the book beg
Beth
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This, on the other hand, I absolutely adore. It's got that Christie oddball strangeness you find in some of her more outlandish books - the plot goes to some weird places - but the tone and atmosphere are so well done, and the personalities are so distinct and funny, that I'm always so entertained when I read this.

The mystery is almost irrelevant here. It's the people that matter.
E.L.
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Christies ever. Anthony and Virginia alike are the type of people I wish I were friends with in real life; Bundle and Lord Catterham are adorable (so adorable that I'm glad we got to see more of them in the Seven Dials Mystery, along with Bill and Codders); Superintendent Battle is, as always, superb. The mystery itself gets a shade confusing in spots, and Anthony himself admits that much of his involvement in the matter comes about by amazing coincidence, but what does that m ...more
Sarah ~
رواية غريبة..
لم تعجبني كثيرا..
لم يكن أنطوني كيد يعلم أنه سيتورط بسبب مهمة تصورها تافهة وقام بها من أجل صديق ستجعله محور مؤامرة دولية خطيرة..
في هذه الرواية ملوك وملكات ووزاراء وقناصل..
وأصحاب ألقاب ..ابتزاز وكثير من الأسرار وبالطبع جرائم قتل ..
جو غريب بالنسبة لرواية من تأليف أغاثا ..
لم يعجبني هذا الخليط .
ما أحبه في روايات أغاثا دائما ..
كم هي حقيقية ..
كم هي ممكنة ..
كم هي بسيطة ومعقدة في ذات الوقت ..
تدخل للنفوس وتظهر أسوأ مافيها ..

الحبكة جيدة رغم بعض الغموض في الصفحات الأخيرة ..
Tiffany
What can I say? I adore Agatha Christie novels and this one was a good story. This is the first Christie novel that I have purchased as an audiobook and I rather enjoyed the story and the narrating was superb. Can't wait to listen to more of her novels.
BrokenTune
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Review posted on BookLikes:

Barbara
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-mystery
I enjoyed most of this book. There were some good characters and interesting situations. However, the ending seemed like Agatha had run out of ideas and just wanted to get it over with. I didn't feel like any of the clues led up to the finale. Not her best.
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: An extremely high-ranking Balkan politician writes a tell-all book to be published when he dies, which he has, recently. It comes to young Anthony to keep this manuscript safe and to deliver it to the publishers at an agreed-upon date, not before, not later. Of course there are many folks out to stop the printing of this outrageously true history of a dark time in an old country. With that as McGuffin, rich'n'exotic characters using false names and with many motives, a huge old hous ...more
Sarah Sammis
The Secret of Chimneys: 05/06/05
The political upheavals of WWI seemed to have inspired a great many popular fiction books in the years before WWII started to gear up. Many of these books take a rather humorous and satirical approach to the machinations of one country to control the flow of events of another country. The Secret of Chimneys is Agatha Christie's contribution to this "genre."

Ignoring the romantic ending, The Secret of Chimneys is a political satire that pokes fun at the British Em
SpookySoto
Otro buen libro de Agatha. La historia arranca lenta al principio porque gran parte de la trama gira entorno a la subida al trono de un rey en un país (ficticio) que tiene petróleo, el interes de Inglaterra de que ese rey sea "flexible" a sus intereses y el de un magnate petrolero que, por supuesto, quiere tener la ventaja de ese negocio. Esa parte política de la novela es lo que menos me gustó, aunque sí me parece algo que pasa actualmente donde las potencias y empresarios se aprovechan de país ...more
Norah Una Sumner
Real rating: 4.5

This was awesome.I loved the characters and the really complex and interesting story;there's also a lot of humor and even sarcastic remarks.The ending is sooo good!I really liked Virginia,she's a bit crazy,isn't she?

description

Those last 20 pages were insane,I had so much fun reading them!But seriously now,this book is really interesting,with royal intrigue,phenomenal main character and great twists-what more can I ask for?

Favourite quotes:

I'm the kind of person who marries enthusiasticall
Cata
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
"O cenário para este crime foi sendo construído aos poucos de forma bastante sólida (como já vem sendo costume), porém (e como elemento diferenciador) existiu uma forte componente política no centro da questão. Mais uma vez reitero que questões políticas são um turn-off para mim, porém o crime foi construído de forma tão sublime e a explicação foi tão credível que acabou por compensar esse aspecto que (para mim) é negativo."

Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From IMDb:
An attempt to bring a famed stately home back to its former glory is marred when a visiting Austrian diplomat is shot to death decades after the disappearance of a priceless diamond.

A movie was made based on this book and it's available at YouTube, with Julia McKenzie, Ian Weichardt, Laura O'Toole.

Carmen
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
A great Agatha Christie novel. Not as good as Poirot. This is also about a 'hot' man and a spunky girl and lots of excitement, spying, danger, and shady characters. No one is who they appear to be. Very cute and clever.
Rita Fernandes
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Adorei o final, havia algumas coisas previsíveis mas a maioria deixou-me de boca aberta. Muito bom ;)
Bettie☯
Stratos
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Από τις καλύτερες ιστορίες της Αγκάθα Κρίστι. Έστω και στα γεράματα μου, εμπλουτίζω τη βιβλιοθήκη με τα βιβλία της.....
Annie Hawthorne
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glorious, good fun.
Raylenis
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Definitivamente mi libro favorito de Agatha hasta el momento.
Agatha Christie L...: February 2018 - The Secret of Chimneys 1 4 May 05, 2017 11:31AM
The Agatha Christ...: August 2016: The Secret of Chimneys 4 11 Sep 04, 2016 07:54PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #27 The Secret of Chimneys 1 2 Apr 04, 2014 02:36PM
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)

More about Agatha Christie...

Superintendent Battle (4 books)
  • The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle, #2)
  • Cards on the Table
  • Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle, #5)
“When I want to get anywhere, I usually do.” 4 likes