Start by marking “Payback Time!” as Want to Read:
Payback Time!

Payback Time!

Don’t get mad, get even…

Phil Town’s first book, the #1 New York Times bestseller Rule #1, was a guide to stock trading for people who believe they lack the knowledge to trade.  But because many people aren’t ready to go from mutual funds directly into trading without understanding investing—for the long term – he created Payback Time.

Too often, people see long-term in
Published March 2nd 2010 by Crown Business (first published February 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Payback Time!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payback Time!

Dieu Thu
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Thú thật, việc đọc cuốn sách này khiến tôi khá mệt mỏi. Với mong muốn bổ sung vốn kiến thức hạn hẹp, tôi dự định mình phải đọc kĩ từng từ và cố gắng hiểu và tiếp thu. Thế nhưng tôi đã rất miễn cưỡng đọc đến hết chương 2 và ngày càng cảm thấy khó chịu. Sau đó, tôi quyết định chỉ lướt qua những đầu mục mà tôi nghĩ là có khác với các phương pháp đầu tư của các tác giả khác.
Giọng điệu châm biếm, đả kích và lối nói rườm rà, khoa trương của tác giả không phải kiểu tôi ưa. Một người bạn giới thiệu cho
Nathan
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was okay. clearly something the author has thought a lot about but he does take the position that being an active investor is the way to go and even though he quoted Buffett often he omits the quote where Buffett says that the best way for the average investor to invest is through a low cost, no load index mutual fund.
Frank
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is an ad for his website, and full of horrible advice for the common investor. As in, go ahead, trust me and cash in your 401K and invest it in the market.

Freedom of speech is a terrible thing sometimes.
Dr. Cock'n Ballz
May 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Garbage. Do not waste your time.

I guess Phil is a successful hedge fund manager... So I'm not saying he doesn't know anything about investing. What I am saying is this book won't help you. If you know Nothing about investing or the stock market, you can throw this into the bin of 'interesting' books you might read to pique your interest and start coloring the landscape for you. But there are hundreds of books in that bin - this one is not special.

It's as if this guy hasn't ever read an investing
Melody
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Step-by-step instructions on how to research companies and stocks using free tools on the internet. Great book!
Roy Wang
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
In short, the author's investment approach is more or less a (over)simplified version of value investing emulating Warren Buffett's investment principles. Although he claims his approach is for the everyday folks, it does require one to really understand and continuously follow the companies whose stocks one is prepared to load up in a bear market. Another indispensable but underappreciated part to successfully implementing his approach is, of course, exercising exceptional patience while one wa ...more
Anirudh Mathad
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pros
- Simplified the investing world for common folks
- Valuing a stock explained well
- Why stock prices fluctuates actually makes sense after reading this book
- Invested Podcast is a great way to learn more about his style
- Gist is to keep cash in hand, wait for recession, buy decent stocks and get rich
- But if in recession salaried people will be hoarding cash for food not stock market

Cons
- shameless website marketing
- Many things are verbose & exaggerated
Esther Dan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Timely book on Stock Pilling :)
Joel
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Feels like an advertisement for his other book and website. I would steer clear and pick up something else.
Timothy J Summers
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must read

Clear instruction on the path to financial freedom. I take the concepts from the book and show them to my children and nieces and nephews. Thank you.
David
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

Wow! Now going to apply it to my investments. I will what is better these covers and improve my kids future.
Alex Pal.
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Even I love Phil Town podcast and his daughter's book, I wasn't that enthusiastic about this book for some reason.
Jon
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's another "get excited about wealth" book, and while the technique of finding a stock's sticker price is interesting, the only citations that it works are anecdotal references to Warren Buffet. The whole system rests on the buyer intimately knowing the business they're buying, which gives Mr. Town the perfect out for when the system doesn't work. There's a lot of self-promotion/defense mixed in with rebranded and underexplained technical analysis, so approach with caution.
Jacki
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
This book is a good introduction to valuation. But it really is just an introduction. I suspect I have a lot more to learn. I didn't read Rule #1, so I can't compare the two.

Town is super-heavy on the self-marketing. I think he referenced his website no less than fifty times in the book, and ten page epilogue tries to sell you on his workshop.

If you can ignore the marketing, he seems to have some good things to say. I'll let you know once I make the millions he has promised me.

Terry
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a sleeper that was much better than expected. He is an advocate of the Warren Buffett style of investing and makes a powerful case for it. I definitely recommend the book. I have shared it with my family.
Janet
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a book to read over and over again for instruction and inspiration.

The investment world doesn't think this way and yet it is full of great strategies and common-sense practices. Thanks, Phil, for the great guidance.
Leandro Melendez
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Como un agregado rapido e interesante al libro previo, concentrandose en un ametrica mas para utilizar en la valuacion de empresas.

De momento me enfocare a Rule #1 y despues empezare a experimentar stockpiling y payback time.

A jugar!
Richard Stephenson
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked it.
Meagan
Aug 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not think this book was as good as his first book.
Joshua
Sep 16, 2011 is currently reading it
A good supplement to his first book, an up-to-date reiteration of rule #1
Ivo Stoykov
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book worth to read
Charity
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I adore Phil Town! What a fabulous book. He writes in such an approachable way and is extremely encouraging that anyone can invest. I can't wait to start!
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
Phil was my client for 5 years, so this is mandatory reading for me.
Richardyihuang
Mar 31, 2018
  • Flip: How to Find, Fix, and Sell Houses for Profit
  • Fight for Your Money: How to Stop Getting Ripped Off and Save a Fortune
  • The Millionaire Maker: Act, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • The Sages: Warren Buffett, George Soros, Paul Volcker, and the Maelstrom of Markets
  • Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways to Save Money, Simplify Your Life, and Save the Planet
  • Rich Like Them: My Door-to-Door Search for the Secrets of Wealth in America's Richest Neighborhoods
  • Die Broke: A Radical Four-Part Financial Plan
  • 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget
  • Jim Cramer's Mad Money: Watch TV, Get Rich
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
  • The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less
  • F Wall Street: Joe Ponzio's No-Nonsense Approach to Value Investing For the Rest of Us
  • Money Mischief: Episodes in Monetary History
  • Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse
  • KnitKnit: Profiles + Projects from Knitting's New Wave
  • Power of an Hour: Business and Life Mastery in One Hour a Week
  • Color in Spinning
Phil Town is a multi-millionaire and one of America's most sought-after speakers on investing. But Phil isn't your typical Wall Street investment guy. In fact, his journey to this rather enviable position is anything but typical.