Start by marking “Silent Killer” as Want to Read:
Silent Killer

Silent Killer (Griffin Powell #10)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,577 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
In A Town Full Of Secrets

To most people, men like Mark Cantrell are fine, upstanding pillars of the community, completely beyond reproach. But their killer knows better. They are sinners of the worst kind, and they must burn on earth before they burn in hell. . .

Trusting The Wrong Person

Eighteen months after her husband's unsolved murder, Cathy Cantrell has returned to he
Published September 1st 2009 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Killer

Alex is The Romance Fox
This is the 10th novel in Beverly Barton’s fantastic Griffin Powell Series.

Silent Killer is a really a thrilling read. The author has written an engrossing and gripping tale set in a small town in Alabama, where a serial killer is murdering church ministers.
 photo mainstreet_zps9gsctulu.jpg
Someone is killing church ministers “men of god” in the most horrifying way….torching them and leaving them to die a most painful death.

Cathy Cantrell, who witnessed her husband, Mark’s death and checked herself into a health facility after h
Chris Snider
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good little crime thriller with lovable characters. I'm thrilled that some of them have their own books that I will definitely be checking out.
jenjn79
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author
This was a pretty good book. It's closer to a Karen Rose type of romantic suspense than say a Nora Roberts romantic suspense. I enjoyed the characters a lot, and the storyline was fairly good. With a few tweaks, I would have probably loved this book.

Series Note: this book is part of the Powell Agency/Griffin Powell universe. There are sections of this book that relate directly to past storylines and if you haven't read those, you're going to be confused.

Eighteen months ago, Cathy Cantrell's prea
Nura
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate the world today
You're so good to me, I know
But I can change
Tried to tell you
But you look at me like maybe I'm an angel underneath
In a sentence sweet

Yesterday I cried
Most have been to see the softer side
I can understand how you'd bee so confused
I don't envy you
I'm a little bit of everything
All rolled into one

I'm a bitch I'm a lover
I'm a child I'm a mother
I'm a sinner I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell I'm your dream
I'm nothin' in between
You know, you wouldn't want it any other w
Pamela(AllHoney)
Its probably not exactly fair to give Ms Barton 3 stars when I haven't read this series through from the beginning in order. In fact I haven't read several books in this series. Nevertheless, I got distracted from the story with all the different characters and story lines. Plus I never could understand how she had a 15 yr old boy born 17 years ago. Okay, it did say he was almost 16 but add 9 months to 16 yrs and its still doesn't quite add up. Oh well, maybe I missed something :)
Diane Morasco
Silent Killer is one exhilarating read. Barton has penned quite a mind-blowing tale.

Cathy & Jackson are intoxicating. I loved them.

Cathy suffered a breakdown after she witnessed her husband, Mark, burn to death. Cathy checked herself into a mental health facility to deal w/ the heinous savagery of her husband's murder.

Cathy also relinquished custody of her son.

Not too long after Cathy returns to town to reunite w/ her son.

Also returning is, Jackson Perdue, a man who once owned Cathy's heart.
Kate
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bicker-phonebox
I found this book a bit slow to begin with, as there were so many characters to get my head round and the fact the story keeps switching back and forth between them all can be a bit mind boggling. Having said that I kept on going and was not disappointed, Barton has penned quite a mind-blowing and exhilarating read. Cathy’s husband a clergyman was murdered by a killer who set him on fire, then left him to burn. It took her a year to overcome his death which she spent in a mental institution. She ...more
Colleen
Beverly Barton is one of my faves as far as romantic suspense authors go, so she is an automatic read whenever a new book comes out. I have read all of her books regarding Griffin Powell so I knew the background story. I highly recommend that you read her previous books regarding GP before you read this one, otherwise, you will be lost as to the parts that reference Griffin and Nic.

As to the main characters, Cathy & Jack, no background reading necessary. Great chemistry between these two ch
Cheryl
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eighteen months ago, something terrible happened in the town of Dunmore. Catherine Cantrell and her pastor husband Mark were relaxing at home, when the doorbell rings. Mark heads to the door to answer it. Suddenly Cathy hears Mark screaming bloody murder. When Cathy arrives at the door, she finds Mark in the front yard engulfed in flames from head to toe.

Cathy has returned to Dunmore. she wants to put the past behind her and get on with her life with her son, Sean. There are two reasons why Cat
LyngLyng LingLung
Alur ceritanya menarik, pembunuhan berantai beberapa pendeta di Dunmore. Dari pertengahan cerita hingga bab terakhir, ternyata saya salah menebak siapa pelaku pembunuhan berantai tersebut. Penulis secara mengejutkan mengungkapkan pelaku pembunuhan hanya di dua bab terakhir. Well, saya sangat menyukai kisah yang mengejutkan di akhir ceritanya. Maka saya merating novel ini cukup bagus dengan bahasa dan gaya bercerita yang mudah dipahami.

Namun, beberapa hal yang tidak terungkap dari novel ini adala
fleurette
This was an average book.

The characters, Cathy and Jack, were likeable and I really liked the rebuilding relationship between Cathy and her son, Seth. However, I had a feeling that there were too many secondary characters to follow their stories. There were times when I couldn't recognise for a second or two who is who.

The suspense part was interesting, arsonist killing priests is not a popular motive in romantic suspense, so it was somehow fresh. But the police procedural was not only minor bu
Harriet
This is a good, not great. murder mystery. It was good enough to finish but did not rank up in the 4 or 5 star levels. The story ended with many loose ends that are supposedly picked up in the book that follows this one.
Pat Cromwell
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a rule I try to steer clear of books that involve religion. I am weary that the contents will not be "romance" as I enjoy reading it. So this book took me by surprise and after a couple pages I was invested in it. There's a serial killer on the loose -- the victims are "men of God." This is a top notch thriller, not for the faint at heart or prudish (there is a scene involving a father raping his daughter). To cap it off, she drops hints for future books -- I love the Friday Evening cliff-han ...more
Jodi
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rt2010, 2017-read, kindle
Although this is book 10 is the series, it's the book I started with and though I missed some stuff, overall, it didn't change the basics of the story. Someone is killing clergy and not just killing them, but burning them to death after dousing them with gasoline. There are a lot of red herrings but what got in the way was poor transitions from paragraph to paragraph because the point of view kept changing and that wasn't clear. But the characters were interesting. The main love interests were J ...more
Hannah Josiah
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've now read a number of Beverly Barton ' books and, despite not having read them in any particular order, I'm completely intrigued with her characters and their environment. One thing I particularly enjoy is the characters that make "regular appearances" throughout the books; either in a central or periferal role. Having said that, I did feel that Griff minor plot was a slight distraction to the main plot and I did get the sense that it was "plot building" for a future novel - which is quite e ...more
Jen
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I can't believe I read this to the end. For me, it's only saving grace was the plot. It had the potential to be a really good story, but the writing was so clichéd, almost amateur (which seems a ridiculous thing to say about an author with such a prodigious output). The best I can say about it is that it wasn't the worst book I've ever read, but I certainly won't be reading other one by this author.
Ivy - Hearts Books.
Despite the 2 stars I will read another book by her soon. The reason for my rating is that an author should not have Karin Slaughter's name on any of their books unless they can match or surpass the bar she has set. Just seeing Slaughter's name raises expectations and in my case they were not met. I figured out who the killer was pretty early on. Barton had a great tale to tell but she did not do justice to it in words. The characters and story lacked some... depth, that one finds in Slaughter's ...more
Laurel
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay, but not breathtaking. I didn't realize it was a part of a series, so the few random references to Griffin Powell made no sense and didn't fit with the rest of the book at all. The murder mystery part was okay. Not really a real chance to figure out the whodunnit aspect until the big reveal, though you could narrow it down to a handful of mediocre suspects.
M Enox
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this author every time. It kept me from figuring out the exact killer! I’ve yet to be disappointed and would recommend this book to anyone.
Joyce McKune
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, suspense
Another great episode. Wish I could have found them in order, but enjoyed anyway.
Andrew Carter
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy read.....and interesting. I enjoyed this book.
Carly
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, suspense, thriller
This book is worth a read. I'd recommend it for something light for a plane journey or perhaps a boredom-buster on holiday. It has lots of mini-stories and intertwined relationships between the MANY characters who we have narration for. It is, at times, hard to keep up with who's who, but it does get easier and narrowed down as the story progresses (thanks, in the most part, to all the killings!).

I don't think the novel is as deep and shocking as I expected it to be and actually guessed pretty e
sanctuary angel  pettyfer
Rasakanlah api neraka membakarmu. Akulah yang di utus oleh Tuhan untuk membakar kalian para bajingan yang berkedok pendeta. Ya, dia senang melihat api yang membakar korbannya, apakah dia sakit jiwa? Atau dia memang utusan Tuhan? Siapa yang tahu?

Jack Perdue kembali ke Dunmore untuk membangun kembali hidupnya. Ya, dimulai dengan rumah masa kecilnya. Siapa sangka dia bertemu lagi dengan cinta pertamanya. Ya Cathy Nelson...

Cathy yang baru kembali dari pusat rehabilitasi mental dikarenakan kematian
Hobby

Books “DOSA-DOSA MASA SILAM”
Judul Asli : SILENT KILLER
Editor : Uki Dimas Gemawan
Cover by m_shuzue@yahoo.com | © photographer : Michael Bednarek Soleg 1974
Cetakan I : Juni 2011 ; 488 hlm
Rate : 4 of 5

Dunmore, Alabama – kota kecil yang tenang dan damai terusik oleh serangkaian peristiwa mengerikan, pembunuhan terhadap sosok rohaniwan dengan cara dibakar hidup-
Terry Cohoe
Chrissey Harrison
Romantic thrillers like this aren't really the kinds of books I usually read but I picked this one up and thought I'd give it a go and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The main story between Cathy and Jack was refreshingly mature compared to a lot of romantic fiction aimed a younger audience with which I am more familiar. Meanwhile the Fire and Brimstone Killer plotline served to move the story forward and deepen the characters. Barton creates a rich (sometimes too rich) cast of characters and keeps you
Mirella Grace
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hebatttt... Gak ketebak siapa sang pembunuh sampai beberapa lembar terakhir si novel. Ceritanya tentang pembunuhan terhadap para pendeta gereja dengan cara disiram bensin dan dibakar hidup hidup.

Nah, cerita ini masih ada sangkut pautnya sama novel tentang Powell Agency, si Griffin & Nicole Powell dan salah satu pegawainya, Maleah Perdue. Nah, di sini diceritakan tentang Jack Perdue, abang kandung Maleah. Diceritakan tentang kisah cinta Jack dan Cathy yang terputus 17 tahun silam dan kembali
Ukgardenfiend
This is a crime thriller where the book blurb compares it to Tess Gerritsen and Karin Slaughter, but I found it less convincing. It uses, the now common, formula, whereby you have chapters of storyline interspersed with the somewhat incoherent, but within their own logical frame of world, thoughts of the killer.
The killer thoughts were initially chilling but it soon became apparent that it was a female talking - the tone of phrasing perhaps? and it somehow became less chilling.
There was also on
Crystal
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part of the Griffin Powell series, but I have only read one other book in the series (the one before this one) and I don't feel lost. I do want to know the history so I will go back and read the first four books.

This book centers on Cathy Cantrell, her son Seth and Jackson Perdue. I loved the small town, everyone knows your business setting. It really works for this book. There were a lot of people to keep track of and that made it confusing a few times, but once I got the hang of everyo
Shona
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cathy lost her husband when he was murdered by a killer who set him on fire then left him to burn to his death. It took her a year to overcome his death and spend a year in a mental institution. Now that she is out she goes about regaining the she had. Getting to know her son again, who left to her in-laws to look after when she was getting help. She is also reacquainted with her first love. Just as things were getting better for her another clergyman is murdered in the same way that her husband ...more
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • The Captive
  • 2 in the Hat
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Our Little Secret
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Lake Magic
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Dying Scream
Beverly Marie Inman was born on 23 December 1946 in Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA. Daughter of Doris Marie and Walter D. Inman Jr. A born romantic, she fell in love with The Beauty and the Beast epic at an early age, when her grandfather bought her an illustrated copy of the famous fairy tale. Even before she learned to read and write, her vivid imagination created magical words and fabulous characters ...more
More about Beverly Barton

Griffin Powell (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)
  • The Fifth Victim (Griffin Powell, #2)
  • The Last to Die (Griffin Powell, #3)
  • As Good As Dead (Griffin Powell, #4)
  • Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8)
  • Cold Hearted (Griffin Powell, #9)
  • Dead by Midnight (Griffin Powell #11)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld #12)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Lady Bridget's Diary (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #1)
  • What to Say Next
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Map of the Heart
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Riveted (Saints of Denver, #3)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Forever with You (Wait for You, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Tear Us Apart (Never, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden (Old West #1)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Locked in Temptation (The Protectors #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
  • If There's No Tomorrow
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
  • Words in Deep Blue
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Runaway Vampire (Argeneau, #23)
  • Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Any Dream Will Do
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Autumn in the Vineyard (St. Helena Vineyard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From the Moment We Met (St. Helena Vineyard, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beard Made Me Do It (The Dixie Warden Rejects MC #5)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1)