Start by marking “Dinosaur Mountain: Digging into the Jurassic Age” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Mountain: Digging into the Jurassic Age

Dinosaur Mountain: Digging into the Jurassic Age

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Earl Douglass was a teenager when he first heard about the Bone Wars—the frenzied race between paleontologists to unearth and classify dinosaur fossils—and he remained fascinated with these prehistoric giants for the rest of his life. As a geologist and botanist working at the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Douglass had a hunch that the vast untouched rock st ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Mountain

Kathryn
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa-- thank you!
4.5 STARS

"The view we are now getting of the past by discovery of fossil animals and plants makes the present world ever new to us... a little window for a world of imagination." -- Earl Douglass

This book begins with an introduction to the "Bone Wars" of the latter part of the 1800s, in which the country's most famous paleontologists (Edward Drinker Cope and Othniel Charles Marsch) battled it out to find the best dinosaur fossils. In their "quest for glory", Cope classified and named fifty-six d
Lisa Vegan
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: budding paleontologists & those who like dinosaurs; if interest in the 1800s “Bone Wars”
This book is superb in every way. The illustrations and maps and photo, and diary entries too, are wonderful; the information is given clearly and in detail and in an interesting manner, and at the end there are drawing and more details about the dinosaurs discovered by these paleontologists in the Utah/Colorado/Wyoming area during this era, in particular the Jurassic dinosaurs of the National Monument Quarry. Stellar job!

The late 1860s “Bone Wars” are made to sound so exciting here. Paleontolog
Carolynne
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am surprised how compelling this account is of events in which I have little overt interest. Deborah Kogan Ray not only tells the history of dinosaur bone seeking in the American West, she has painted richly colored illustrations and included lots of value-added content: quotations from primary sources, a glossary, anatomical drawings, a timeline, and other informative aids. Teachers in the classroom will find this book useful in capitalizing on children's natural interest in a dinosaur unit o ...more
Richie Partington
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 June 2010 DINOSAUR MOUNTAIN: DIGGING INTO THE JURASSIC AGE by Deborah Kogan Ray, Frances Foster Books/Farrar Straus Giroux, April 2010, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-374-31789-8

"I know that lives are at stake
Yours and mine and our descendents in time
There's so much to gain and so much to lose
Everyone of us has to choose"
-- (now-Congressman) John Hall, "Power"

I read the daily reports on the current ecological disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and I think about how it is going to take the Best and the Brightes
Tasha
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ray returns with another great picture book biography. This time she turns her talents to the story of Earl Douglass and the “Bone Wars” of the turn of the century where paleontologists competed to find the big dinosaur skeletons. Though the biggest finds had been made in Colorado and Wyoming, Douglass followed his instincts and headed to northeastern Utah. The book chronicles his discoveries as he worked the site through prose as well as excerpts from his personal letters. It also tells of the ...more
Shelli
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for students covering fossils or those fascinated with dinosaurs. I learned so much about the trials and tribulations of an anthropologist and how the early "Bone Wars" were highly competitive and even dangerous for science.
Hannah
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nonfiction/Twin Text Entry #1

This book tells a fantastic story about the life of the most successful dinosaur hunter during the period of time when everyone was fighting to find dinosaur bones. It was a crazy age for paleontologists, but Earl Douglass came out on top when he found his "dinosaur mountain." The author, Deborah Kogan Ray, uses her amazing diagrams to show the different types of tools Douglass and his crew would have used while excavating the bones, as well as detailed illustration
Katy
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a FirstReads giveaway. I think it is a good book for children who are interested in dinosaurs and for a class who are studying the giant reptile. But other authors, such as Aliki have books that are just as good. The writing is concise and kid-friendly; the information is wonderful.

My problem though was --- I received a book that was, literally, in pieces. The outside cover was separated from the text. The text was divided and separated in three sections. I looked to see if it were (1)
Gabrielle Blockton
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Date: November 25th, 2014

Author: Deborah Kogan Ray

Title: Dinosaur Mountain: Digging Into The Jurassic Age

Plot: This informational book focuses on the lives of both Earl Douglass and Andrew Carnegie during the Jurassic-Age exploration between the late 1800's and the early 1900's.

Setting: Various Locations in the United States (closer to the Mid-West/Northwest Region).

Characters: Earl Douglass; Andrew Carnegie

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Dinosaurs

Style: Informational Non-Fiction

Copyright
Danielle Foster
This book would be a more enjoyable way of introducing the life of someone that has became famous for a discovery. However, this is a more advanced reading because it uses a wide variety of vocabulary. I like that on most pages their are little side notes that include information or graphics that are useful when reading the story. I think the pictures are very well illustrated as well. Another thing that is included in the book besides the story is information about different types of dinosaurs. ...more
Matthew
This is another astounding nonfiction text by Deborah Kogan Ray. It does a fabulous job chronicling the lives of not only Earl Douglass, the main focus of the story, but also Andrew Carnegie and the other paleontologists involved in the Bone Wars. The anecdote about the first fossil display being held in Philadelphia was a wonderful way to start and the extensive research throughout the text was impressive. The endnotes were exceedingly thorough and allowed the reader to truly get a deeper under ...more
Beth G.
In this picture-book introduction to the dinosaur excavations of the early 1900s, Ray shares the story of Earl Douglass and the founding of Dinosaur National Monument. The combination of quotes, sketches, paintings, and descriptive text give the feel of a scrapbook. Brief biographies of Earl Douglass and Andrew Carnegie, a glossary, and a bibliography fill in some of the details for readers looking for more information.

A solid addition to the "dinosaur books" section, though the text may appeal
Mackenzie Beals
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-689
Deborah Kogan Ray tells the story of Earl Douglass, a paleontologist who uncovered many fossils in northeastern Utah. His work was funded by Andrew Carnegie and was displayed in Carnegie's Museum of Natural History in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. The book includes little notes to the side of the text including: notes, pictures of fossils, quotes, and excavation tools. There is also various helpful information in the back matter of the book.
Shannon
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I love when books completely surprise me. I picked this up at the new book section of the library, based on the fact that it was about dinosaurs alone. Imagine my delight when I discovered it was all about the discovery of Dinosaur National Monument in Colorado, which I visited for an article in 2004. Ahh!!! So interesting! I was disappointed to learn that the visitors center closed in 2006, but I'm excited to post pictures and such on ur class web site.
Duane
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Although this book is very informative, I never figured out who the actual reading age would be. Done as a picture book, but the wording is more preteen/teen reading level, this book just doesn't seem to click with me. I guess as a book that could draw teen readers into the dinosaur field, it might work, but I think at our library, it'll be checked out by little ones and only be looked at for picture entertaining, rather then resouce information. A lot better books are out there in my opinion.
Beth Schencker
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This ALA Notable Book is an informational picture book written in somewhat chronological order proving information about the discovery of dinosaur skeletons in the modern age. Beautiful illustration by the autor-illustrator help support the factual text. May dates and reference points are given as well. Debroah Kogan Ray has also written and illustrated "Hokusai: The Main Who Painted a Mountain" and "Down the Colorado: John Wesley Powell, the One-Armed Explorer".
Janessa
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A detailed account of paleontologist Earl Douglass and his lasting contribution to science and history. The source material Ray includes is exemplary, ranging from entries from Douglass' own journals to a list of dinosaurs discovered at Dinosaur National Monument Quarry and period maps. I can't wait to take my kids down to Southern Utah and visit the Monument. I'll be sure to bring this book along.
Shawn
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Deborah Kogan Ray is more well-known for her artwork than for her narrative powers. This book is disjointed as a story, but fits the bill when you are looking for information and illustrations about the ever-popular subject of dinosaurs. Because it has the size and format of a picture book, you may have to hand-sell it to older readers.
Margaret Samuels
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
G 5yrs: "This book should have 6 stars. It was very dinosaury. It had snow because they couldn't work in the winter. Some of the dinosaur bones had codes because they needed to know which were right."
Chelsea Bucci
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This would be a great to incorporate during a science lesson on pre-historic animals. It could be used as a text for students to explore during this unit. I would use this book for a 4th- 5th grade class.
Lori S.
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a cool book about the finding the great cache of bones out in Utah. It's a nice story about real life, history and the work of one man who worked to not only further the study of dinosaurs, but also preserve them. Great fun read!
Kaitlin Heaton
Informational and picture book

This book got a little long and some things I would change. I love this topic though.
Rachel
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Stunning pictures, great local connection. Lots of great information, but sidebar pictures and text not always connected to greater story.
Allison
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-non-fiction
So Awesome!
Patty
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
I picked up this book because we are going to visit Dinosaur National Monument in Utah. I had NO idea that it was about that exact dig location until we read it. Very informative and well-done.
Megan
This would be great for a child who is interested not only in dinosaurs but how the bones were discovered.
Rani
Fascinating tale of Earl Douglass who set out to excavate 'something big' and ended up being the inspiration for Dinosaur National Monument.
Genny
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, hunter
Pretty interesting and only had a skip over a few evolutionary time schedule references.
Joelle
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was the interesting story of how Dinosaur National Monument came to be. I really enjoyed the little bits of Earl Douglass' personal journal that were included.
Samantha
It has been a little while since I read this book, but I remember thinking that it was just eh for me. It was not what I was expecting.
« previous 1 3 next »