Start by marking “The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge: A Desk Reference for the Curious Mind” as Want to Read:

A Complete Revision and Thorough Updating of the Ultimate Reference from the Newspaper of Record

Whether you are researching the history of Western art, investigating an obscure medical test, following current environmental trends, studying Shakespeare, brushing up on your crossword and Sudoku skills, or simply looking for a deeper understandi

Hardcover, Second Edition, 1328 pages
Published October 30th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge

Start your review of The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge: A Desk Reference for the Curious Mind
Spike Gomes
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Since I'm attempting to get on Jeopardy, I decided that a wide review of knowledge was necessary, and so I picked the second edition of this book at a used bookstore. Well, I certainly don't recommend trying to read this cover to cover as I did. It's really not made for that sort of thing, though I can tell you this: some of the section writers are far better at others in providing an overview of their field of expertise, and more than a couple don't know how to take an ideologically neutral sta ...more
Daniel
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read the entire thing because it's longer than the Bible, but a great reference for curious people to learn new facts daily. I just open the book to random pages, learn some interesting info for half an hour and close it till the next time. Did you know Japanese is spoken on the small island country of Palau? Now I do thanks to this book!
Sherif Fahmy
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book, together with "An Incomplete Education", this is my go to reference when I want to learn about a certain topic. I haven't read it from cover to cover, I just zoom in on the topic I want to learn about. Has served me very well so far.
Lindsay
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book (along with Bartlett's Roget's Thesaurus) was all I really wanted for my birthday. I know, I know... I'm a book nerd.

The Guide to Essential Knowledge is the most awesome and non-boring reference book I have ever perused. (No, I did not read all eight billion pages)
Jon
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
yea, has a lot of good info in there
Abby
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i didn't read the whole thing because its like a DICTIONARY. this thing is huge. its not a book were you read the whole thing but you could try if you really wanted to.
Sam Motes
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a truly a massive collection of trivial knowledge on a vast area of topics. Not deep enough in all areas obviously but a good high level over view of a wide swatch of areas of knowledge.
Stephenie
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I love this book. Words can not express how awesome it is.
Sumi
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: trivia
Covers a broad range of subjects and yet I still felt it was missing something.

In terms of readability I prefer 'An Incomplete Education'
Joe
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty weak narrative
Cari
Dec 30, 2007 rated it liked it
great to flip through... would probably take a year and a half to actually read the whole dang thing. Great for the bathroom! :)
Daisy
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all nerds like me!
Very helpful book!
May 21, 2014
Eilir Rowan
Nov 12, 2016

• Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Sheet Music for Flute with C.D
  • Harry Potter And The Order Of Phoenix: A Summary About This Novel Of J.K Rowling!! (Harry Potter And The Order Of Phoenix: A Detailed Summary-- Book 5, Box Set, Novel, Rowling)
  • The Kingdom (Fargo Adventure, #3)
  • The Wizard of Menlo Park: How Thomas Alva Edison Invented the Modern World
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • David Pogue's Digital Photography: The Missing Manual
  • Selections from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Piano Solos
  • Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince: (Piano Solo)
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • The History Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • The Merchant of Venice
  • The Bastard (Kent Family Chronicles, #1)
  • Einstein: His Life and Universe
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
  • The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation, #8)
  • The Garden Intrigue (Pink Carnation, #9)
The New York Times is a daily newspaper published in New York City and distributed internationally. Founded in 1851, the newspaper has won 112 Pulitzer Prizes, more than any other news organization. Its website receives 30 million unique visitors per month.

News & Interviews

“Perhaps Aristotle’s most widely-read work is his esoteric treatise on aesthetics, the Poetics. According to his analysis of tragic poetry (a section on comedy was either lost or never completed), the theatrical audience experiences katharsis (“purgation”) of the heightened emotions of pity and fear as the tragic hero, a basically good but flawed aristocrat, is brought down by his own “error of judgment.” 2 likes