Start by marking “Remedies” as Want to Read:
Remedies

Remedies

A captivating new voice in women's fiction delves into the haunted past of a physician's seemingly perfect marriage.
Simon and Emily Bear look like a couple that has it all. Simon is a respected doctor. His wife, Emily, shines as a partner in a premier public relations firm. But their marriage is scarred by hidden wounds. Even as Simon tends his patients' ills, and Emily s
Published August 20th 2009 by Putnam Adult (first published August 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Remedies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remedies

Michelle
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Intriguing book with a fantastic plot. The characters are a bit hard to latch onto and I was definitely reading more for the story itself rather than because I cared what happened to the people. They were quite unsympathetic despite the tragedy they experienced. Actually I do think Simon’s lack of likeability works because he is buyable as a megalomaniac so his actions make sense in the context of his character. Anyway, despite characters that you would never want to hang out with, I still loved ...more
Shelley
Dec 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poop-on-toast
0.5% Grey's Anatomy and 99.5% microwave manual. Blah blah blah (insert medical terminology here), blah blah blah (more medical terminololgy) and lather, rinse, repeat for the rest of the book.

The bookmark was pulled after 120 something pages of absolutely nothing happening. South Park did an episode called Smug Alert about these kind people. That episode was about people who drive hybrids and love sniffing their own farts. If you want to read about a group of affluent miserable dickheads where
Kimberley
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kimberley by: ARC copy from Goodreads
Laura Goldblum
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book and was sad when it was over. The story and characters in Remedies are totally engaging - complex, tragic, funny, unique. Kate Ledger's deep understanding of human nature and incredible story-telling skills are really what makes this book special. This is a fantastic book club choice ... there are so many facets of the book to discuss and analyze as well as many issues that touch on one's own experience. I can't wait to read it again!
Pamela
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down! The suspense builds as family tension escalates. Several sub plots weave together in unexpected ways. Unpredictable and well written, I give this book 5 stars and will recommend it to all my friends.
I am looking forward to the next!
Bonnie Brody
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Ledger has written a poignant and painful novel about a marriage that is barren of communication and intimacy, left to wither after the death of a six-week old infant named Caleb. Simon and Emily Bear initially married with hopefulness and love, though Emily was as much drawn to the marriage by the potential of Simon's future success as she was by his being her one and only. Together they have a child. When their child dies, so does their marriage.

Simon is a physician in general practice by
Gretchen
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to win an advanced copy of this book from the First Reads program on GoodReads. This is the debut novel for Kate Ledger, and I hope it won't be her last. This story is reminiscent of Ordinary People in it's focus on a family dealing with a personal tragedy. but it adds a modern spin involving two strong career professionals grappling with this challenge.

The first scene in the book arrives with graphic clarity. It might put off some readers, but in those first few pages we get
Leah
Jun 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, first-reads
This was a Goodreads Giveaway win.

I dislike books that 1) Have lengthly descriptions of meaningless things and 2) Throw around big words and long narrations about topics that a normal person does not know/care about. This book did both of these things in the first few pages (Description about eating an apple on page 7 and narrative of medical terms on page 24). That almost immediately turned me off (not to mention the somewhate graphic first two pages which seemed completely unnecessary). It see
Paula Margulies
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written and compelling debut novel about a physician who deludes himself into thinking that his egotistical desire to discover a cure for pain is driven by his love for his patients. The doctor's wife, a public relations exec, has an affair with a former lover as a way of dealing with her floundering marriage and the loss of a first child. The couple's second child, an unhappy and unlovable teen, brings the situation to a crisis. There is quite a bit of detail about the husband's medical ...more
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Writing was decent but could not overlook gaping holes in research storyline. I work in biomedical research and have for many years so maybe my low ranking is unfair as the story wasn't about regulatory compliance. If there had just been a little bit of acknowledgment of the clinical trial rules, probably would have rated higher.
Kathleen Crowell
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay so this was not an uplifting book, but it was so well written and the characters were so interesting. I can't say any of them were really likeable, but it felt like their histories were really the reason for who they were and they deserved a pass. This was definitely a well-thought-out story.
Susan
Feb 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book should have been a 5 star read for me. I have a chronic pain disease, my first child died as well, and in general, I like a story with a medical storyline. While I could sympathize with Emily, I couldn't stand Simon. I could not find one thing I liked about him, and unfortunately, it ruined the book for me.
Nedda
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd really like to give this 1.5 stars. I didn't find the characters particularly interesting and the storyline was sort of boring to me. I sort of just hoped I would finish it quickly. 2 out of my 6 Goodreads friends have already read this, but I wouldn't recommend it to the rest of you.
Debbie
May 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-like
Just a so-so book about a marriage in crisis. I didn't find either of the main characters likeable, and some of the plot lines just didn't seem plausible. In addition, this book could have benefited from some fact checking - the town is 'Glen Burnie' and not 'Glenburnie'.
Ruth
May 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A compelling story but poor resolution. A little surprised teh characters didn't make more of an effort to connect with each other. Daughter problems seem classic and not that important to the father.
Maya
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I thought I had read a good review of it in the New Yorker or something. About 20 pages in I realized I must have been mistaken. The writing felt like something I remembered from a high school creative writing class. Would have been one star but I'm feeling charitable.
Caroline
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really tried to like this book, and read to the bitter end (nearly 400 pages), hoping I would come to like it. But I found the characters both sad and unlikeable, they engage in far too much hand-wringing, and participate in a plot I found hard to believe.
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just did not do it for me. Novel told in alternating sections by a husband and wife, both unsympathetic and self-obsessed characters in a miserable marriage. The writing wasn't bad but just couldn't get into the plot or the characters.
Darcy
Mar 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started out reading this one, but couldn't get past the first 20 pages. The main character, seems to much into himself and all about why he didn't hire his new nurse because she was young and pretty. Can see where this is headed and don't care to take the journey.
Nina
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An in-depth, intricate look at a troubled marriage. I loved the detailed characterization and the twists and turns of the plot. I'd recommend it for sure!
Lynna
Mar 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is a MN authors first book, as she describe, written over time and it shows. I was disappointed, left me with... nothing.
Amber McGinnis
Jul 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a single likeable character in the whole book...
Katy
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too long. The narrative is 90% expository, which grates after the first section. I liked the Dr’s musings on chronic pain, however. Very accurate.
Stacie
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC from Penguin Books. This is Kate Ledger's first novel and the book hits stores today, August 20, 2009.
Although this was a little slow in the beginning, it did become hard to put down towards the end of the book. Rather than chapters, the author used 5 Parts to divide the story, jumping between Simon and Emily's character as the story was told. As a reader, I like to have little breaks in the story, where if I need to put it down, I know I can finish a chapter in a
Paul Pessolano
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Remedies” by Kate Ledger, published by Amy Einhorn Books.

Category – Fiction/Literature Publication Date – August 03, 2010

Simon Bear is a caring Doctor; he treats pain and prescribes medicine that will alleviate the pain. He is very conscious of his patients, maybe to a fault. His wife, Emily, is a working Mom that has a very good position with a Public Relations firm. They have a young daughter, Jamie, who is a problem, a problem that may be due to her parent’s inability to be parents. Some of
Mary
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a striking picture of a marriage gone very wrong, nominally stemming from the death of an infant child fifteen years before. However,there is a strong sense that the marriage would be just as off-track even if the child had lived a normal life. I don't much like one of the main characters, Emily, who is not particularly sympathetic, but I wholly dislike the other, her husband Simon,a doctor who envisions himself as his patients' hero. What an ego - how self-important, self-centered, and ...more
Lorri
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The novel, Remedies, by Kate Ledger, is a very in depth and intense read on the subject of chronic pain.

Chronic pain in all of its forms is explored within the pages and within the lives of Simon Bear, a much loved and respected physician; Emily Bear, Simon’s wife; and their daughter, Jamie. The Bears are suffering from deep scars over the loss of their infant son, Caleb, fifteen years earlier. That tragic loss has caused them to block out their emotional pain, chronic pain that lingers deep wit
Aksana
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firstreads, drama
This is not a book of many events and actions, but it is about relationships and how they can be ruined by people not being themselves and not showing their true selves. It was a slower read, but it became more gripping in the middle when the wife (Emily) shared the story of her infant son's death. It was such an emotionally devastating event to Emily and Simon. It was interesting to read about the dynamics of the Bear family and how each one of them avoids each other and refuses to invest into ...more
Jessica
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels

This was a hard one to review and I wish I could have given it 3.5 stars. I wanted to love this book--the author's children go to preschool with my sons and she seems like a nice person--but in the end I liked it.

The story follows the Simon and Emily Bear, a married couple with a teenage daughter. Before their daughter was born, they had a son who died when he was six weeks old and they never dealt with the pain of that loss. Simon is a doctor obsessed with healing his patients' pain and I found
Pat
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel presents a couple that, from the outside, ostensibly lead a charmed life. Simon is a physician with a thriving practice and Emily is a successful businesswoman; however, their relationship was irrevocably damaged by a tragic incident early in their marriage. Their only child is lonely and unparented. When Simon seems to find a cure for chronic pain, he becomes obsessed with its promotion while Emily pursues a relationship with a former lover under the guise of business obligations.

Wha
  • The View from Delphi
  • Secret Lives of Husbands and Wives
  • Sleeper's Run
  • Safe from the Sea
  • I'm Sorry You Feel That Way: The Astonishing But True Story of a Daughter, Sister, Slut, Wife, Mother, and Friend to Man and Dog
  • History of a Suicide: My Sister's Unfinished Life
  • Where's My Wand?: One Boy's Magical Triumph over Alienation and Shag Carpeting
  • Wish You Were Here: Travels Through Loss and Hope