Start by marking “Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)

Gallows View

(Inspector Banks #1)

Having moved his family to the market town of Eastvale, Chief Inspector Alan Banks is disturbed by a local crime wave and teams up with psychologist Jenny Fuller-to whom he is attracted-to find out who is targeting Eastvale women. ...more
Published April 26th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published August 27th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Gallows View, please sign up.
Ulla I havent read Peter James. But I can assure you that Peter Robinsons series about Alan Banks gets better and better. I think have read all of them.…moreI haven´t read Peter James. But I can assure you that Peter Robinsons series about Alan Banks gets better and better. I think have read all of them. One I liked very much is In a Dry Season.(less)

Start your review of Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

Gallows View is the first novel in the popular Inspector Banks series by British author Peter Robinson. Banks, has recently moved from the high-crime city of London to Yorkshire, a sleepy little town, where crime is not particularly common and the residents have until now felt safe. He is happily married to Sandra, has two kids, and is very dedicated to his job and works long hours. Sandra has outside interests, and is presently taking photography classes, so Banks’ long hours don’t seem to pres
Christine
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Mike 5 stars
Shelves: 1st-of-series
This is a series I have wanted to try for a very long time. It’s a series with staying power; it still attracts a significant number of loyal readers despite its long run of 24 (so far) books over a 30-year period. Gallows View is first in the series and was published in 1987. The book left me with mixed, though mainly positive, feelings.

First, the not so good things. The novel, though a fast read as it is on the shorter side, did take some time to engage me. I wasn’t dying to pick i
James Thane
First published in 1987, this is the novel that introduced Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks. Banks is a former London policeman who relocated to Yorkshire, assuming that the pace of life and the crime rate would both be slower. That may be the case, but he quickly discovers that there's more than enough crime to keep him busy, even out here in the hinterlands. This is a good thing, of course; otherwise there would be no point in writing or reading about his adventures. The series has now rea ...more
Rosie
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. It reminded me a lot of the Martin Beck series by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahloo.
The characters are well developed. Banks is a very respectable man with good values and morals and his wife, Sandra, is really easy going. This was an enjoyable read and I found myself always wanting to get back to reading it. It wasn't particularly suspenseful until the end, but the book moved at a good pace. I'm looking forward to reading more in the series.
Brenda
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks was doing everything he could to find and capture the peeping Tom who was terrorizing young women in Eastvale, but his frustrations were mounting. Added to that were burglars who were preying on the elderly women of the area – and then an elderly woman was killed in her home and it was ransacked.

Had the peeping Tom escalated? Or had the burglars been carried away and killed by accident? The police force brought in a psychologist to help, but even that didn’t
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Chief Inspector Alan Banks relocated from London to the Yorkshire village of Eastvale, he expected the quiet of the countryside. But, with a string of robberies, a Peeping Tom, a rape, and a murdered doddering 87-year-old woman, Banks has his hands full.

I had heard a lot of good things about Peter Robinson’s Alan Banks series, and the debut, Gallows View, was serviceable, although not awe-inspiring. Originally released in 1987, the novel was less dated than I expected. The honest, if
John
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is one of the early novels in Robinson's Alan Banks series of detective novels, and lacks the psychological depth and sense of dark claustrophobia that make the more recent entries worthy of their place on the shelf alongside books by the likes of Ian Rankin and Ruth Rendell. Still and all, it's a rattlingly readable yarn: I gobbled it down in little more than a day.

The Yorkshire town of Eastvale is being plagued by a peeping tom and by a spate of house invasion-style thefts, in whi
Jonetta
This first book in the series featuring DI Alan Banks does a great job of introducing the main character and the people in his life as he works to resolve three cases that end up intersecting seamlessly. While it seemed to meander initially, it eventually hooked me as I immersed myself in the scenes and settings. Banks moved to Yorkshire from London to have a less stressful work life only to be faced with these complicated crimes. He's very competent but not without his own personal issues.

This
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
A brilliant book, I have watched the DCI Banks TV show which is excellent but was surprised to find the books behind the series better. This book I read in 3 hours, cover to cover - could not put it down. The author has a knack of giving so much detail that the picture is clear in your mind as reading the words, without being over descriptive to the point of tediousness.

It's compelling and very readable, the characters are detailed and the plot keeps you going until the end. It is a
Jim
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5 listen. The narrator was good & there was more to the story than I expected. No mystery here except how Banks will wrap it all up, but at least the author didn't try for any except in one case & that was well done.

What made this an interesting listen was the setting, a large town in England, & the characters, pure English. It seemed to be a very realistic snapshot of their life & issues.

I have another, but I'm not in a rush to get to it. The
Lesa
I thought I'd never read one of Peter Robinson's Alan Banks police procedurals when I picked up Gallows View. However, I quickly had that vague feeling of familiarity when I started the book. Even so, I reread the first in the series because I wanted the introduction to characters before I continued. I'm one of those readers who, even when told the series gets better, wants to start at the beginning.

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks has moved from London to Eastvale in Yorkshire,
Gerald Sinstadt
Jan 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A trusted friend recommended Peter Robinson's books so I started at the beginning, anticipating the pleasure of a long series to follow. The only explanation I can find for my profound disappointment is that this is a first novel. It certainly reads like one - clichéd in characters and language, with dialogue that would sound at home in The Archers.

Too many adjectives thrown in for effect and never mind the contradictions. On one page the Superintendent is "rubbing a hairy hand over his red, po
Bill Lynas
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first DCI Banks novel, published in 1987, is a good police procedural story with plenty of interesting characters. There are no car chases or daring stunts here, but there is a good plot & an easy narrative. One of the storylines involves someone secretly watching women undressing when they go to bed & makes me ask the question "Why don't these people draw their curtains before getting undressed ?" But if they did that, of course, then there would be no story here! Reading this novel ...more
Deb Jones
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Chief Inspector Alan Banks has his hands full in Eastvale after transferring to the small town after years of duty in London. There's a Peeping Tom afoot, a series of burglaries that are increasing in number and intensity and the murder of an elderly woman occurring in the period of time.

On top of the ongoing investigations into the various crimes, Banks experiences a crisis of conscience -- not associated with his professional life, but with his personal life. It's all interwoven in
Lucy Jackson
2.5 stars from me, I liked the characters and plot line but I feel like it was all a bit underdeveloped, having said that I wouldn't say I won't try another Inspector Banks because I may well come back to this series at some point.
3.75 stars rounded up. I enjoyed the writing, the main characters, and the setting of this new (to me) long-running British detective series. However, the young villains were a bit too villainous for me, making me want to smack the sneers off their faces many times.

The audio was really well done. I'm listening to audiobooks while writing postcards to voters. If you're concerned about the direction the US is headed and are feeling frustrated, consider volunteering for Postcards to Voters. They h
Tony
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this again as I couldn’t remember a single thing about the previous reading. Is that because there is nothing memorable to it, or my increasingly poor memory?

Who said that?

Ahh, right. I see. Ok, so it’s ... ok. I thought I may give others in the series a go, I see from many of the other reviews that they do get better. I think I probably will too. It was entertaining and looking forward to reading some more.
Gary
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book of the DCI Alan Banks series. Maybe the crime plots were a little predictable but nevertheless the characters were well developed which bodes well for the rest of the series.
I will certainly be continuing with this series.
Ms.pegasus
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in British mysteries
Recommended to Ms.pegasus by: an interview of author Nick Trout who mentioned the series
Shelves: thriller, mystery, fiction
Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks was hoping to shed his chain smoking and caffeine swilling habits when he left his London posting and moved to the Yorkshire countryside. Instead, a local crime wave confronts him. Vandals have been victimizing elderly women. A peeping tom is at large. Then, an elderly reclusive woman is murdered during an apparent burglary. Are the crimes related? Worse, will any of these escalate into worse criminal acts?

The narrative is in third person and rove
Thomas Strömquist
The very first Inspector Banks. Newly relocated from London to Eastvale, the detective needs to take on a number of simultaneous challenges; first, a peeper is stalking women of the community and the police fear that he will not be happy just looking at some point in time. At the same time, a chain of burglaries turns violent on more than one apparent occasion. And finally, he has to find a way to work together with a female psychologist that he finds immensely attractive...

Despite a few coinci
Nancy Oakes
Gallows View is an okay introduction to the British mystery series featuring Inspector Alan Banks, who lives and works in Eastvale, Yorkshire. As the novel begins, the local police are trying to find a peeper who is frightening some of the town's women. As if that's not enough, an elderly woman living alone has been killed, and there are a series of unsolved break-ins. Banks, who has moved to Yorkshire to get away from the high-stress levels of police work and of life in general in London, takes ...more
Bill
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Chief Inspector Banks mysteries. I liked it from the very opening pages and enjoyed the story thoroughly. Alan Banks is an interesting character, having moved from London to Eastvale in Yorkshire, in the hope of a quieter police life. He quickly is involved in a case of a peeper as well as a number of break-ins and finally a murder of an old woman. I enjoyed getting to know Alan and also his personal life. His wife, Sharon, was well-presented and also some of the ot ...more
Ethen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in the Chief Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson. It follows a Metropolitan inspector in what at first seems a minor crime but as he and his team delves into it the web gets thicker. This review is for the audiobook version of the story.

I am always on the lookout for a new series that take place in foreign places. I like the Yorkshire backdrop and the interesting cultural differences. The English have a certain mentality that is very different from American POV. Granted t
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*

Gallows ViewIt is not the first of Peter Robinson's books Ihave read, but it is the first I have listened to, and it was a very enjoyable experience.

The narrator had a pleasant voice and was easy to listen to.

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks, a perceptive, curious and compassionate policeman recently moved to the Yorkshire Dales from London to escape the stress of city life.

He is therefore somewhat surprised, having expected a quieter life, to be faced with finding a peeping tom, id
Marwan
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like most about Robinson's novels is the narrative style; how the story switches from Inspector Banks to the other characters, which lets you understand them more. Banks is an interesting person, the psychiatrist was fine.
However, Comparing to his later novels, this one is the least likable. I mean the story was fine but not great. So don't judge Robinson from this one, because his later books are much better.
Jaksen
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is also on another Goodreads page of the same book. Sometimes they don't 'carry over.' And despite what it says, I've only read this book one time.

This is a new series I've discovered, and have read two in it 'out of order.' Finally got my hands on the first book and it's very good. At first, it reads like a 'cozy' until you come to the murders, graphic sex, and some of the dialogue. In my book, cozy it ain't.

Inspector Alan Banks, recently moved from 'down south' to the
Lemunty
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With insomnia wrecking my nights (again) I've begun to read detective fiction again, these long and endless series of novels that really just form one continuous story. I love those that develop the character as we go, and a perfect example are the Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson, which I just finished yesterday. That's right, the series. Including the one shot ficlets and stories. There is a new one that ought to be out later this year, and I'm looking forward to it (with a title like ...more
Dave
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just learned of this series, and I wanted to start with the first in the set.
A London policeman moves with his family to Yorkshire, hoping for a slower pace in his police work.
But things pick up fast with a Peeping Tom, a series of burglaries and a murder.
Great characters, good pacing.
Loved it.
Damaskcat
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Peter Robinson and it won't be the last as I enjoyed. DCI Alan Banks, gradually settling into his new home on Yorkshire and hoping for rather less violence than he was used to in the Met, finds himself in the middle of a complex web of interconnected cases. There is a Peeping Tom who is spying on women undressing; a spate of burglaries and a murder. Are they all connected? Or are there several different criminals at work in this small area?

I liked
Natalie M
Based on a recommendation to start the series (of 23) at the beginning, I’ve delved into book #1 of the popular British series based on the protagonist Inspector Banks.
The subtle, natural charm of the writing and the characters can only be explained as ‘very British.’ Easily likeable characterisations, many of whom I look forward to meeting in future novels in this series.
Three crimes are central to this first novel (a peeping-tom, break and enter robberies and the murder of an elderly wo

• A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • Wild Fire (Shetland Island, #8)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • The Moor (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #12)
  • The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1)
  • Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
  • Stone the Complete BBC Radio Series 1-4
  • In a House of Lies (Inspector Rebus, #22)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • The Infirmary (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #11)
  • Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6)
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • The Body in Jingling Pot (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #1)

Peter Robinson was born in Yorkshire. After getting his BA Honours Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds, he came to Canada and took his MA in English and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor, with Joyce Carol Oates as his tutor, then a PhD in English at York Uni

Inspector Banks (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • A Dedicated Man  (Inspector Banks, #2)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Dry Bones that Dream (Inspector Banks, #7)
  • Innocent Graves (Inspector Banks, #8)
  • Blood at the Root (Inspector Banks, #9)
  • In a Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10)
  • Cold is the Grave (Inspector Banks, #11)
“The memories were there, but the string of time that linked them like a pearl necklace was broken.” 1 likes
“Something piqued his curiosity and he wanted to know more. There was no order to it, neither in his mind nor in his filing system. He would plunge into a subject with cavalier disregard for its chronological development. And” 0 likes