Start by marking “Mr. Sunny Is Funny!” as Want to Read:
Mr. Sunny Is Funny!

Mr. Sunny Is Funny! (My Weird School Daze #2)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  1,091 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A.J.'s family rented a beach house for the summer, and you'll never guess in a million hundred years who rented the house next door. Well, you have to read the book to find out. So nah-nah-nah boo-boo on you!*

*Okay, okay, it's Andrea and her family. And she has a monster crush on Mr. Sunny, the hunky (but weird) lifeguard. Ooooh! When are they gonna get married?
Library Binding, 112 pages
Published July 22nd 2008 by Turtleback Books

Thomas
Dec 18, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Good book! Great short book when you forgot another one. Totally didn't do that! LOL
Kyky
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a funny and weird book. I really liked it. You should totally read it. My least favorite part was probably the end. It was really gross.
Jane
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was really fun because of the romance and the words that remind the reader about summer.
This book is about a boy named A.J who is ready for summer. They go to a beach house and he finds out that he has to share the beach house with his enemy, Andrea. She is smart and nice, and kind of bossy to him. A.J thinks she's a know it all. His summer is ruined! When they get to the beach, they find a lifegaurd plowing sand. As soon as Andrea sees him, she falls in love. They are all
Maya
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Sunny Is Funny written by: Dan Gutman pictures are by Jim Pallot . What I like no ,Love about the book is the Mr. Sunny was actually funny , the whole book was funny it me laugh from page to page . What I like about the book was that it was a page turner like “ooh I have to know what happens nexts” the book h ad my eyes glued to the page . Also it was such a clear text and such a quick read too so it didn’t take me long to read . love those surprises in the book too !

There’s nothing text re
Sterrett Family
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked that A.J. read comic books in the car and he didn't even get car sick! Is that even possible? I liked how Mr.Sunny thought he was being chased by a shark but It was only Mr. Granite! I love this book!

Colleen Collura
My daughter really likes these books. She's in second grade and doesn't read as much as I did and still do so I'm happy to have her read anything. It's not great literature but it works for her.
Angieleigh
I really liked this book, as did my nephew.

(view spoiler)
Christina Gee
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So funny!

So funny! So funny! So funny! Oh, l think this book is so funny. If you like funny books you should read this!
Mary
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, a fast read which would appeal to young boys ranging 2nd - 4th grades. My grandson (8 years old) loves this series!
Christine Rains
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the best time of year: the summer! No school or homework or teachers. A.J. is super excited to spend the summer at a beach house with his family until the worst thing in the history of the world happens. That know-it-all Andrea arrives with her family to stay with them. Andrea develops a crush on a wacky lifeguard named Mr. Sunny and she's talking all funny with her Shakespeare stuff. But A.J. is still determined to have a good time.

One of the funniest books in the series yet. My first grad
Dolly
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the My Weird School Daze series by Dan Gutman and Jim Paillot.

They are very funny, quick reads and although they are told from a boy's perspective, I think they would appeal equally to boys and girls. This is a fun tale about summer vacation. A.J. goes away to the beach for the summer, but his friends end up joining him along with Andrea. Since the kids aren't in school, the rhyming title refers to an artistic lifeguard who dreams of studying art in France.

The book h
Neely
Colleen
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I don't understand the attraction of this series of books. There are so many of them that the author must crank them out with little concern about whether the story is interesting or funny. Interesting and funny it is not. The author attempts to write like a little kid thinks but ends up sounding like a forty-year-old trying to write like a little kid thinks. He uses out-of-date, cheesy expressions that today's kids have probably never heard of. What 7 or 8-year-old uses the expression "brown-no ...more
Alyssa Tobin
AJ gets excited to go to the beach for the whole summer. One of the reasons he is so happy is that he will get to get away from Andrea. She is a girl in Aj's class that he does not like at all. Once he gets to the beach his mom shares that Andrea's family is coming to the beach house too. What will AJ'S do now that Andrea is coming too!

This a great story to read to the class. The story is great for boys and girls. The children will love to hear how Aj thinks his summer is going to be perfect unt
Heather
Mr. Sunny is Funny is the second book in Gutman's "My Weird School Daze" series. In this story, A.J. is off to the beach with his family for the summer, only to find that his least favorite person, Andrea, is renting the house next door. In this story, A.J. jokes around with readers through the text with "made you look" type jokes, and tells the story in a way that kids would find funny. Mr. Sunny refers to the lifeguard at the beach who is oddly passionate about sand, and is determined to win t ...more
Tyler Butler
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aj and his family is on a summer vacation for 12 weeks. They were going to the beach. Aj's classmate Andrea was going along with them to the beach. Aj had said his vacation was going to be ruined because Andrea was going too. Andrea had a crush on the life guard Mr.Sunny. Mr.Sunny likes to build sandcastles. This gives Aj time to figure out what he is going to do.In Mr.Sunny AJ and Andrea are getting married when they try to build a sandcastle.
Shelli
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Gutman understands young reader’s humor and has created a fantastic book formula to draw in even the most reluctant of readers. The My Weird School series is perfect for students to practice their reading skills with its repetitive yet hysterical narrative and story lines. But don’t mention that part to your kiddos, they might run away in fear they could learn something. A must have collection for any grade school library or classroom!
Terry
"This is so funny, Mama." Our daughter loved the slapstick elements of the story and the kids' all-round silliness. When she saw the questions on the back, she immediately had to turn it upside down to get the answers, and then wanted to dig in.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Kaytee
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was really sad slash really funny the sad part is when the life guard ignores andrea or does not talk to her. and the funny part is when a.j gives andrea his taffy and his friends say"ohhh a.j gave his taffy to andrea they must be in love when are you going to get married" michal said i thought it was mostly funny and a little sad but it was good
Tricia Thompson
AR Quiz No. 126993 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.5 - AR Pts: 1.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Book Rating Rating: 3.5
A.J.'s summer vacation is ruined when yucky Andrea's family rents the beach house next door. Her crush on the lifeguard, Mr. Sunny, is driving everyone crazy. Book #2
Anya Hubbard
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aweasme

I chose this rating because I love the story plot and I liked how there was a funny surprise through the book I would give this a 5 1/2 but it does not let me do that. Anyway I would not give it a 5 because it has a cliff hanger... who won the contest?? Maybe I missed our it is in the next book. But overall a good and funny book to read.
Lacey Butler
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdg-4050-11
This book shows that people can be crazy and funny, but they have a reason for why they are doing what they are doing. It is a great book to read before summer break to get the kids pumped for that break.
Cecelia
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was funny that Andrea (a kid in AJ's class) falls in love with Mr. Sunny. AJ is a life-saver. He stopped Mr. Sunny and Andrea from drowning. Mr. Sunny is a lifeguard. Mr. Sunny was chasing a shark out of the beach when he started drowning.
Susannah Goldstein
Quality was good, but the book was generally unremarkable and forgettable. AJ's narrative voice wasn't particularly strong, and Gutman relied too strongly on exclamation points and colloquialisms to prove that he had the voice of a school-age boy.
Dree
I give it 2 stars. Both my kids would give it 4 to 5.

These books are all the same--and all start with the exact same sentence ("My name is AJ and I hate school."). Not what I push for my kids, exactly, but they sure make elementary-aged boys laugh! Nah nah boo boo on you.
Jonathanlee lee
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well it startded like ther was a boy named aj who was on vacationshin and his classmate was coming and it was a she bot aj tot she was unoing and he met mr.suuny and the she ceme she had a crush on mr.suuny

Clare
Oct 24, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this is the only book out of the weird school series that i have not yet read..... i hope it is good like the rest of the books in the series
La Toya
Cute read for early readers. I think Dan Gutman does a good job capturing the voice of elementary school boys!
William
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids
Oh no, another goofy series the kids enjoy.
Paula
These books are so cute! I read them during rest time in my kindergarten class and my kiddos just laugh and laugh.
  • Nate the Great and the Monster Mess
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Pugsley (The Puppy Place, #9)
  • Sleepy Hollow Sleepover (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #4)
  • Never Walk in Shoes That Talk (Roscoe Riley Rules, #6)
  • Summer Vacation from the Black Lagoon
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • Ginger (Dog Diaries, #1)
  • It's the First Day of School...Forever!
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #2)
  • The One Hundredth Day of School! (Ready, Freddy!, #13)
  • Enemy Spy (Shredderman, #4)
  • The Case Of The Class Clown (Jigsaw Jones, #12)
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman

My Weird School Daze (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control! (My Weird School Daze, #1)
  • Mr. Granite Is from Another Planet! (My Weird School Daze, #3)
  • Coach Hyatt Is a Riot! (My Weird School Daze, #4)
  • Officer Spence Makes No Sense! (My Weird School Daze, #5)
  • Mrs. Jafee Is Daffy! (My Weird School Daze, #6)
  • Dr. Brad Has Gone Mad! (My Weird School Daze, #7)
  • Miss Laney Is Zany! (My Weird School Daze, #8)
  • Mrs. Lizzy Is Dizzy! (My Weird School Daze, #9)
  • Miss Mary Is Scary! (My Weird School Daze, #10)
  • Mr. Tony Is Full of Baloney! (My Weird School Daze, #11)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
    $9.24 $1.99
  • The Golden Notebook
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Ten Thousand Saints
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
  • The Secret Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99
“*It is a known fact that if you stand up on a chair, put your fingers in your ears, and announce “I love turnips,” people will think you’re weird.” 2 likes
“Three months is 12 weeks. That’s 12 whole weeks with no Andrea! I got a calculator for Christmas, and I figured it out. Twelve weeks times 7 days in a week is 84 days. That’s 84 days with no Andrea! And 84 days times 24 hours in a day is 2,016 hours. That’s 2,016 hours with no Andrea! And 2,016 hours times 60 minutes in an hour is 120,960 minutes. That’s 120,960 minutes with no Andrea! And 120,960 minutes times 60 seconds in a minute is 7,257,600 seconds.” 0 likes