Start by marking “Maisy Goes to the Library” as Want to Read:
Maisy Goes to the Library

Maisy Goes to the Library

(Maisy)

Maisy's plan to have a quiet read is put to the challenge by her giggling friends in this picture book ode to the pleasures of the local library.
Maisy likes going to the library.
She loves to read a book in a nice, quiet place.
Today, Maisy wants to read a book about fish, but she can only find books about birds or tigers. So she explores some of the other things to do in
Published July 12th 2005 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Maisy Goes to the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maisy Goes to the Library

✟Roxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche) ☠
Another cute little Maisy book which my daughter enjoyed. My local library has recently reopened after being closed for over a year for refurbishments so I thought I would celebrate with my daughter with a book about the library. It was cute and all done in the original Maisy style. There were only a couple things to do with the storyline which I wasn't so keen on. The book introduced us to some services that may not be available in your local library, so it might be worth having a read through ...more
Jonathan Smith
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
A great book to teach children about all the library has to offer. I would read this to prek students and above to help promote interest in reading.
Sterlande Altidor
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
I think that this is a good book for children who love to read books. For a beginner reader this is a book that parents could start with. I think that children will enjoy the pictures in this story. This book is a very funny book; children would laugh reading this book. This is a clear and easy to read book, and the illustration are beautiful. Children will be able to name different types of animals and the sound that they make after reading this book. This is the perfect book for children who s ...more
Julia Stephenson
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The concept of going to the library is too common. All Maisy did was discover a library and its resources. Her friends join her for story time and they walk out happy. I like original ideas in books where the characters discover books that come alive, or gets sucked into library books. I like books where characters in libraries are told to quiet down or a misshap happens to books on shelves. There is really no plot located at the end of the story. The story also mentions that characters can lis ...more
Manal Cheikh
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
This is an excellent book for children. It explains all of the things that children can do in the library and makes it a positive experience. Maisy has fun and laughs in a reading group of other children.
This book would be great to help children feel comfortable in the library as well as learn how useful the library is.
Ten_zillions
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
Maisy is excited about going to the library to quietly read a book about fish. Instead, she discovers the many other things that kids can do there! Her adventure shows children how fun the library can be. This is a good informational book for children that teaches them the joys of exploring the library and the many things one can do there.
Moore, Maureen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
The “Book Maisy Goes to the Library” by Lucy Cousins is classified as juvenile fiction; it’s targeted ages are 2 thru 5. It is a good picture book for early readers; Clear and easy to read; it is a good story for discussing all things library i.e. the “what”, why’s and “how “things to do at the library also, friendships. The illustrations are simple and bright.
Justin Dolezal
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Decent book. It is a good book to get going at a very low level of reading with youngsters. I would say this is a book for pre-k or even lower level kindergarten. Only learning point I could think of would be to talk about the manners needed to be in a library.
Anu
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uuu, tämmöinen osui käsiin piitkästä aikaa ja pakkohan se oli lukaista. Maisat nyt vaan on Maisoja. Kirjastossa käydään, perusasiat hoituvat hienosti ja kaikilla on kivaa.
Neljäs tähtyläinen tipahtaa ihan vain nostalgiasyistä. Maisat oli aikanaan mun vauvojen lempparikirjoja <3 Awwww.
Chelsea
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emily
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: iris
Great illustrations, short sentences, all the good stuff you expect from Maisy. Minus one star because the fish books are "by the aquarium" (that's not how cataloging works!) and there's apparently no librarian at this library! Iris doesn't care, but I do.
Amy Buthelezi
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is great for young children as it teaches them the purpose of the library and how to look for books. The illustrations are simple and colorful. The story also teaches how children can pretend to be characters from their favorite stories and expand their imaginations.
Leigh
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My son has become very obsessed with the Maisy series. We bought two from a thrift store, we found this one at the library. He loves the characters and the quality is the same throughout the series. Much loved.
Maliha Arman
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
Maisy Goes to the Library would be a good book for sight words or a book for new readers. The story line is practical and easy to understand. Children can relate to this book by sharing their first experience at the library and for others friends it can encourage to visit the library is some of the children have never been.
Leigh Triplett
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
This book covered what it is like to go to the library and things there are to do. Maisy finds a book to read and is looking for a quiet place to do so. A book with simple illustrations with bright color, that could be used to help teach children about the library and what it has to offer.
Mister David
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute, clever, and clear. Small-sized book about going to the library for story time. Maisey series. Also makes reference to the "Rainbow Fish" series and the "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" series.
Marie Arie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
Maisy is excited to go the library but doesnt realize all that she will discover when she gets there. Maisy is focused on getting a book but then finds out there is so much more she can do at the libary. The book has easy simple pictures and wording for young children to follow along to.
Raquel Turner
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for children to learn change. This book also encourages patience. Maisy not only had to learn how to adjust to change but also patience. It makes trying new things fun.
Christine Grant
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Library Story Time. Maisy is looking for a quiet place to read a book, but discovers that there is more to the library than just books.
Anita Marlin
It is a colorful and simple picture book. It gives children some information and concepts about what the library is. Children may also learn about friendship from this book.
Emma
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite library visit story, but the toddlers in storytime enjoyed it well enough that I'm sure I'll use it again.
Erik
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
The story is really basic, but that and the simple drawings and bright colors make it really effective for younger readers.
Mort
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
Book gives the kids the curiosity of what a library has to offer. Book speaks adventures of being at a library.
Risa
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
I think this is a wonderful book for a young child to read. When they read the story, they will learn that reading can be something to enjoy, as well as an important way in which to find important information. When Maisy goes to the library with her friends, they learn that some books are fun to share, while some books are nice to enjoy in a quiet place on your own.

Extension:

The teacher can take the children to the school library and they can all get their own library card.
Each child may find a
Tiera Vann
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read to early kindergarten/ first grade students. I will read this book to my class and relate it to an autobiography. Reason being is because at libraries students can find tons of autobiographies from famous people in our world. I will then incorporate this in a writing lesson for my students. I would have them create their own autobiography. They will be given a worksheet and they are to fill in their name, where they were born, how old they are, how many brotheres and ...more
Carol
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This fun-filled, colorful picture book is engaging for the young reader. A Maisy First Experiences Book is somewhat confusing because it portrays the library as a place of noise and distraction as well as temporary disappointment when Maisy cannot find a book on fish. It is not until Maisy and friends go to outside that he/she(?) finds a peaceful place to read. The vivid colors used would attract the young readers. Pages are sometimes separate pictures and sometimes continuations which helps rea ...more
Vivian
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great to use with pre-school library tours!
-- the front end paper sports a library card (serves as a prompt for the reader to show and talk about their library's card -- how to get one, etc.)
-- there is a double-page spread that gives a nod to some of the services and features libraries provide (a computer, a listening station, a photocopier, a fish tank, and story time).

The bold primary color illustration of copy-right characters Maisy and her friends adequately hold the children's attention f
Jane Night
This was a nice simple read about Maisy going to the library. I liked how the book went into the things that can be done at the library (though photocopying favorite pictures felt weird to me).
My main issue with the book is that half of it felt a bit off track. Instead of being about the library it is about Maisy's friends being goofy. And they only repeat parts of "Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly" and it threw me off so much I thought the book was missing a page initially.
Not a bad read but not
Ariel Cummins
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very-Maisy book, told in declarative sentences with a strong narrative arc. Clearly written to fulfill developmental needs, colors and patterns are featured prominently. Lots of information about the library and what happens there is included.

The pictures feature the blocky, primary colors typical of Maisy books, which are fun to look at and very eye catching.

Good for a story time about the library, or about community helpers/buildings, although a bit small format. May want to shorten it a lit
jacky
Jun 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Natalie likes the Maisy books right now. Today at the library, she noticed their Maisy poster for the first time. When I saw on it that the picture was from this book, I checked this out for her. She enjoyed hearing it at lunch and babbled about it some. (Most of what I made out was duck and mouse). Its nice for sharing with kids who are about to go to story time for the first time, or with kids who are used to the experience and can relate. You could pair it with singing or reading a vesion of ...more
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • The Three Bears
  • I Got the Rhythm
  • Shout! Shout It Out!
  • One Pup's Up
Lucy Cousins, BA Honours in Graphic Design from The Faculty of Arts and Architecture, Brighton Polytechnic, postgraduate degree from Royal College of Art, is an author-illustrator of children's books. She is best known for her books featuring Maisy Mouse but she has also published other children's books including one about Noah's Ark. She is a mother of four and lives in Hampshire, England. Her ow ...more

Maisy (1 - 10 of 140 books)
  • Maisy's Bedtime
  • Maisy Big, Maisy Small
  • Doctor Maisy
  • Maisy Drives the Bus
  • Maisy's Pool
  • Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Maisy Cleans Up
  • Maisy Takes a Bath
  • Maisy's Rainbow Dream (Maisy)
  • Maisy Makes Gingerbread