Start by marking “Maisy Goes to the Library” as Want to Read:
Maisy Goes to the Library

Maisy Goes to the Library (Maisy)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  928 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Maisy's plan to have a quiet read is put to the challenge by her giggling friends in this picture book ode to the pleasures of the local library.
Maisy likes going to the library.
She loves to read a book in a nice, quiet place.
Today, Maisy wants to read a book about fish, but she can only find books about birds or tigers. So she explores some of the other things to do in
Published July 12th 2005 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Maisy Goes to the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maisy Goes to the Library

Julia Stephenson
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The concept of going to the library is too common. All Maisy did was discover a library and its resources. Her friends join her for story time and they walk out happy. I like original ideas in books where the characters discover books that come alive, or gets sucked into library books. I like books where characters in libraries are told to quiet down or a misshap happens to books on shelves. There is really no plot located at the end of the story. The story also mentions that characters can lis ...more
Emma
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite library visit story, but the toddlers in storytime enjoyed it well enough that I'm sure I'll use it again.
Erik
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
The story is really basic, but that and the simple drawings and bright colors make it really effective for younger readers.
Risa
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
I think this is a wonderful book for a young child to read. When they read the story, they will learn that reading can be something to enjoy, as well as an important way in which to find important information. When Maisy goes to the library with her friends, they learn that some books are fun to share, while some books are nice to enjoy in a quiet place on your own.

Extension:

The teacher can take the children to the school library and they can all get their own library card.
Each child may find a
Tiera Vann
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read to early kindergarten/ first grade students. I will read this book to my class and relate it to an autobiography. Reason being is because at libraries students can find tons of autobiographies from famous people in our world. I will then incorporate this in a writing lesson for my students. I would have them create their own autobiography. They will be given a worksheet and they are to fill in their name, where they were born, how old they are, how many brotheres and ...more
Carol
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This fun-filled, colorful picture book is engaging for the young reader. A Maisy First Experiences Book is somewhat confusing because it portrays the library as a place of noise and distraction as well as temporary disappointment when Maisy cannot find a book on fish. It is not until Maisy and friends go to outside that he/she(?) finds a peaceful place to read. The vivid colors used would attract the young readers. Pages are sometimes separate pictures and sometimes continuations which helps rea ...more
Vivian
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great to use with pre-school library tours!
-- the front end paper sports a library card (serves as a prompt for the reader to show and talk about their library's card -- how to get one, etc.)
-- there is a double-page spread that gives a nod to some of the services and features libraries provide (a computer, a listening station, a photocopier, a fish tank, and story time).

The bold primary color illustration of copy-right characters Maisy and her friends adequately hold the children's attention f
Jane Night
This was a nice simple read about Maisy going to the library. I liked how the book went into the things that can be done at the library (though photocopying favorite pictures felt weird to me).
My main issue with the book is that half of it felt a bit off track. Instead of being about the library it is about Maisy's friends being goofy. And they only repeat parts of "Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly" and it threw me off so much I thought the book was missing a page initially.
Not a bad read but not
Ariel Cummins
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very-Maisy book, told in declarative sentences with a strong narrative arc. Clearly written to fulfill developmental needs, colors and patterns are featured prominently. Lots of information about the library and what happens there is included.

The pictures feature the blocky, primary colors typical of Maisy books, which are fun to look at and very eye catching.

Good for a story time about the library, or about community helpers/buildings, although a bit small format. May want to shorten it a lit
jacky
Jun 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Natalie likes the Maisy books right now. Today at the library, she noticed their Maisy poster for the first time. When I saw on it that the picture was from this book, I checked this out for her. She enjoyed hearing it at lunch and babbled about it some. (Most of what I made out was duck and mouse). Its nice for sharing with kids who are about to go to story time for the first time, or with kids who are used to the experience and can relate. You could pair it with singing or reading a vesion of ...more
Library Quine
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Maisy tells us about the many things to do at the library. She goes there for a quiet read, but has a hard time doing it after her friends turn up. It has some nice positive things to say about libraries, as the children have a lovely time and an enjoyable and hilarious storytime. Maisy finally finds a quiet place to read outside under a tree. I have used this as one of our nursery library orientation books, but I'm permanently on the lookout for one that would explain the services and activitie ...more
Rachel
I bought this for my son at the library book sale because I love Lucy Cousins' bright and colorful artwork. In this book, Maisy enjoys going to the library so she can find a nice quiet place to read a book. This time it is a book about fish. She likes doing other things at the library, including going to storytime, using the computer, and using the resources available there. My only gripe with the story is that it should've ended when she checked out her book, instead of dragging the story along ...more
Ann Cox
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
A little mouse named Maisy goes to the library to look for a book about fish. While there, she runs into some friends and goes to a storytime program. The simple drawings, bright primary colors, large text, and white space on almost every page will make this book very visually appealing to babies and toddlers. The book does assume that the reader or listener is familiar with the rhyme "There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly," which may confuse those who aren't familiar with the rhyme.
Brittany Houston
"Maisy Goes to the Library" is a book about what it's like to visit a library. Teachers can read this book to teach students about the different literary resources the Library offers and the reasons why people visit the library such as: to use the computer,to read and check out books,to listen to music, etc. Teachers can also link library activities with school activities and schedule a class visit to the library.
Samantha
Esta historia comienza muy bien. Todo va bien hasta que Maisy se ve perturbado por sus amigos. Siento que el libro va cuesta abajo desde allí. No me gusta el libro de los niños fueron leídos. Siempre he odiado ese libro. ¿Quién en su sano juicio podría escribir un libro así? Pero aparte de eso, este libro estaba muy bien. La vieja señora que se tragó una mosca realmente arruinó para mí. >. <
Meg
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
So apparently Maisy's library doesn't use the Dewey Decimal System?? Also, the continuity of this story is minimal (I think the cartoon is better than the books, as far as Maisy goes). But I do enjoy that the circulation clerk is a peacock. And the art style is still charming. For the smallest readers, this is a good pick-- but for anyone older than 4, the story is a bit too loose.
Sarah Adamson
A fun short book about Maisy going to the library and looking for a quiet corner to read a book. The story tells how she finds a book she is interested in, what other things you can do in a library ( a nice one!!) and how sometimes you need to find a Quiet place to read elsewhere too! Fun and gentle and good for getting kids interested in the library.
Dylan Reisz
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's nice reading books in quiet corners, but it's also fun to look at the aquarium at the library, play on the playground, and laugh and play during story time. These are all things I can do at the library, so I can totally relate to this tale. Add in the bright pictures and you've got a winner here.
Patricia
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-spanish
Kate
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
A cute read-aloud book for kids 2-3. The story's simple and, somewhat transparently, glorifies libraries and reading. I do like that there is an example of a good storytime experience and that, unlike some books about libraries, the author seems to actually understand the way libraries currently function.
Amanda
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
While the Maisy videos are a little weird for me (the voices are bizarre), the books are nice and my son seemed to like this one although it may have been a little young for him. It introduces some of the many things you can do at a library, although Maisy has it right, finding a favorite book to read is the best part.
Rima Aroutiounian
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
Maisy just loves the library and she wants to read a book about fish. She can't find one and her friend come to library and they do pretend play about, "The old woman swallowing fly." Then she finds a sparkling book about fish and reads it in a quiet corner. Love the Maisy books, they are just fun to read and always have something to teach. Great for phonological awareness and narrative skills.
Kelsey
Nov 30, 2012 added it
A lovely book to which I think many students will relate. The challenges of finding just the perfect book and spending the day searching the library for the book he or she desires to read is described accurately and vividly.
Lbrown107
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Alycia Boyce
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book follows Maisy the mouse as she goes to the library and finds out that there is a lot more than books there. Maisy meets up with her friends and they imagine they are the characters in the book.
Elizabeth
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-toddler
Catherine LOVES this book. I have no idea why. I mean, it's not terrible or anything. But the magnitude of her love seems disproportionate to the quality of the book. I have to give it at least three stars, just based on Catherine's affection for it.
Kenneth
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Do you know were we get most of our books to read and write short reviews? The library. This explains why it is so much fun to go to the library. As you read you follow Maisy and her friends on their adventure in the library.
Kathryn Hogan
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-k, library
Very engaging for young readers. I enjoyed the aspect about how to have fun and enjoy the library. This book also promotes how fun reading is. This is a great colorful book to get young readers excited about reading while learning to read. Vey cute and enjoyable book.,
León
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibl, infantiles
Un libro en donde se le puede enseñar a los niños que el leer puede ser algo divertido y que la biblioteca es un bonito espacio en donde pueden hacer todo tipo de actividades y que puede ser un espacio de reunión para sus amigos. La biblioteca y la lectura no tienen que ser algo aburrido....
Amy
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maisy-mouse
I have a special place in my heart for Maisy books! They were Sienna's favorites when she was a toddler. We loved collecting the little treasures and read them on a nightly basis. Sienna was so proud to write her name in the front that said, "this book belongs to _____". I ordered this book as soon as I realized there was a library themed Maisy book. It arrived on Sienna's 17th birthday. So perfect! I can't wait to read it aloud to pre-k & kindergarten.
Rebecca Gray
The book "Maisy goes to the Library" is great for ages 3-4 years old because of its big, bright, bold words and colorful illustrations. While the book jumped around a lot, it would be a good book to teach children about libraries. The book was diverse by including a wide array of animals.
Raul Barrera
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the part of maisey reading the sparkling fish book..

liked the part of maisey reading the sparkling fish book.. I did not like when the elephant swallowed the dog. Isabella Barrera (6). 4 stars rating.
Farrah Pope
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy, silly

Fun, little story about being at the library! The six-year-old loved it! She wanted to read it again as soon as it was done!
Cassandra
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bookit

Got this book through the book it program. Good first book to get us started !! Good for bedtime and to build on tomorrow.
Donna Calkins
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Good book, like it
Was cute to read with my daughter. I would read another from this author, she is good.
Paula
Maisy goes to the library in search of a book about fish and a quiet place in which to read it
Claire
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good for nursery/preschool settings
Angeles Otaño
Preschool Storytime
Alexandria
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que es divertido que yo sabe una anciana que se trago una mosca. Mi hermana odia a ese libro. Mi parte favorita es cuando avestruz leido: yo se de una anciana que se trago una mosca.
Rachel
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
So cute. Perfect for preschool-aged children. Maisy goes to the library to find a book about fish. When he sits down to read it in his quite corner it gets noisy really fast.
Kara
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to read a more accurate representation of a child's library-going experience. Plus, real children dig it. Simple, lovely and thoughtful. Well done.
Micah Coolio-Ramerez
Mar 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Kevin
was an action-packed book, but I was deeply sad when maisy got killed by the gang and the ending was sad. But the elephant is funny cuz he's fat.
Whitney Zollman
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a good book to teach young children all of the things they can use a library for. This is another great book for beginning readers.
Tapani Aulu
Maisa yrittää lukea rauhassa, mutta muut metelöi kirjastossa. Aika ärsyttäviä kavereita. (kesäkuu 2016 ja tammikuu 2017)
Gail
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My three year old liked this more than I did. We haven't been reading the series. Bright colors, simple text, funny animals.
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • The Three Bears Board Book
  • I Got the Rhythm
  • Shout! Shout It Out!
  • One Pup's Up
Lucy Cousins, BA Honours in Graphic Design from The Faculty of Arts and Architecture, Brighton Polytechnic, postgraduate degree from Royal College of Art, is an author-illustrator of children's books. She is best known for her books featuring Maisy Mouse but she has also published other children's books including one about Noah's Ark. She is a mother of four and lives in Hampshire, England. Her ow ...more
More about Lucy Cousins...

Maisy (1 - 10 of 140 books)
  • Maisy's Bedtime
  • Maisy Big, Maisy Small
  • Doctor Maisy
  • Maisy Drives the Bus
  • Maisy's Pool
  • Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Maisy Cleans Up
  • Maisy Takes a Bath
  • Maisy's Rainbow Dream (Maisy)
  • Maisy Makes Gingerbread