Start by marking “The Perfect Lie” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Lie

The Perfect Lie

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  689 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
If you're looking for nail-biting suspense, characters you really care about, and dark, exotic locations, you'll love Emily Barr...
Published August 19th 2010 by Headline Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Lie

Leah
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Riddick has always dreamed of going to Venice particularly since it’s been pinned up on her mum’s wall for as long as she can remember. She doesn’t think she’ll ever get the chance to visit Venice but she’s soon proved to be wrong as the secret she’s been carrying has finally caught up with her. All of a sudden Lucy realises she needs to escape. She immediately decides that Venice is the place for her and sets off, leaving behind a boyfriend and her life in Cornwall, but it’s still not enou ...more
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
This was an audio book version borrowed from the library.

You can see my full review at Chocolate Chunky Munkie blog

There were three narrators which really helped the story, it gave each character a more personalised feel. One thing this book has which I love is short chapters. When you're on the go and dipping in and out of books, short chapters really help.

This book is set in two different times. You have the story of Marianne when she was a teenager and then you have Lucy who is the grown up
daisychainbooks
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a long time reader of Emily Barr’s novels I’m always intrigued to see what she will release next, and I’m also eager to find out if she can keep my interest engaged with each new novel. As far as some authors go, this doesn’t happen, but with each new book from Barr, I find myself being more and more impressed. The last book of Barr’s I read was 2008’s, The Sisterhood, a book I totally loved, and I was hoping this latest offering would live up to the high expectations I had after reading that ...more
Sandra Foy
I have read most of Emily Barr’s books and enjoyed them all. I like her easy writing style and she usually has a few unexpected twists and turns in her stories to keep you engaged.

In The Perfect Lie, Lucy Riddick is living in Falmouth with her boyfriend Seth but she is living a lie and is just waiting for the past to catch up with her. When that finally happens she has to escape and she makes her way to Venice to try to start a new life, leaving everyone behind her wondering just exactly what ha
Jules
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is not the first Emily Barr book that I have read and it won’t be the last I choose to read from this author. The novel takes place between London, Falmouth (in Cornwall) and Venice based around the theme of escape. The tone of the book runs like a thriller rather than anything ‘chick-litty’ and Barr’s characterisation allows for the themes of capture, influence, abuse and escape from threat to be explored. Barr is a skilful writer who is adept at travel-writing and exploration of space; sh ...more
Anthea
My second read from Emily Barr.

I experienced the same issue when I read The Sleeper by the author. The first half was great. The pace was good. The suspense was there and the build-up kept me captivated. However, the ending was a let down.

The Perfect Lie was about this girl, Marianne and her brother Finn who had quite a different childhood from others. Their mother was ill (eating disorder? not sure as the "sickness" was not disclosed). However, the mother refused treatment and gave them specifi
Marissa Farrar
I'd give this one a 3.5 stars if Goodreads allowed such a thing! (hint hint, Goodreads!). The end was a four star, but the slow beginning was definitely a three. The jump between points of view and different tenses threw me and I found I struggled to really get into any of the character's heads properly. The most interesting part of the book was as the main character as a child, though I felt the mother's reasons for making the children do what they did were pretty slim - especially considering ...more
Alison
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, i-d-recommend
I really enjoyed this book. It had a good amount of mystery and confusion to start of with leaving you wanting more - which it delivered.
It was however an incredibly intense book which covered some themes I had NOT been expecting, which I think is risky for some people who are touchy they may have felt offended and not expected that, so becareful if you are thinking of reading this, and don't enjoy sensitive topics being covered by fiction
If you're open to things however and not easily shocked o
Katrina Saunders
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I live near Falmouth and had just returned from a holiday in Venice when I read this book so I loved it. I could picture the actual places in my head and the author had done justice to them so they are easily recognized. The plot had twists and turns and I just wanted to keep reading this book. I would recommend this book.
Rachel
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Easy reading- a book that I couldn't put down and read in one evening.

I'm not sure the art storyline in Venice needed to be there; was there a need to show her (continuing) gullibility?
Emi
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh!
Caz Lopez
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Great story line and ending was good!
Samantha
i loved this book,i couldnt put it down,im sad ive finished reading it
Liesbeth
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love Emily Barrs books.
Warm, believable and oh so very readable.
This book draws you in, gets you involved and keeps you guessing. Fab.
Mandy Baggot
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to place The Perfect Lie into a genre. It isn't traditional chicklit, it isn't a thriller but what it definitely is is well written and utterly compelling. I was enthralled from the outset with Lucy Riddick and the secrets she is keeping from everyone in her life. The narrative interchanges between main character Lucy and Marianne and later on in the book to Eliza. If I'm honest Eliza's sections weren't really necessary, only with regard to Patrick and it was very much Lucy and Marian ...more
Grace Harwood
I was assigned this book as a reading assignment for a library book chain I belong to - otherwise I would never have picked it up for myself. I found it easy to read and it really was quite entertaining. However, I thought the plot was a bit ridiculous and far-fetched and that it's somehow been written to appeal to a certain class of people (there are just far too many references to "White Stuff" clothing and other designer makes for my liking) To be honest, I felt a bit excluded. I didn't like ...more
Chanpreet
This book had some very serious themes. It was intriguing and captivating and putting it down was not an option. Lucy Riddick has found happiness in her life with Seth, his sister Eliza, and her two daughters. She's happy with the way things are going when saving Clara, one of Eliza's daughters from falling off a cliff brings her unwanted attention from the media and something or someone form her past shows up and makes her go on the run again.

Emily Barr has it out of the park with this one. It'
Judith Yeabsley
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read. I wanted to know what happened to the characters and although there were a few plot holes they are excused as it was a captivating, pacey book with enough intrigue to keep you engaged. It is the second book of hers I have read and both centre around a "guilty secret" from teenage years and in both this is the crux of the book but not revealed until near the end. I will be disappointed if a third of hers follows the same formula ..... so will check before grabbing ....
My usual
Kirsty Darbyshire
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Chick-lit-ish kind of thriller. Nothing special, but not dreadful though predictable at times. Kept me entertained and turning the pages.

I got hugely annoyed by the enormous paragraph spacing though - I read it on the Kindle but I guess this feature is carried over from the print edition. The Kindle lets you adjust type size and line spacing but doesn't have a "Please remove the two blank lines between each paragraph" option. It's ok when there are long paragraphs, but quick dialogue sections -
emma
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad but totally lacks believability! Firstly that her mother would demand that they do what they do to begin with, and secondly that she'd go on the run all those years later without telling anyone anything (and then use her passport as a clue). Oh, and thirdly that she'd go to Venice after the photos in her mother's kitchen had been on display for all to see, since she was so paranoid about being tracked down. Apart from a storyline that exhibits more holes than my knitting attempts, it was ...more
Louise
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Barr is one of my favourite authors, having followed her from my schooldays when she wrote a column in the Sunday Times on travel. This book only got 4 stars because at part of the story, it became so dark that I had to skip a few pages. It was also a little unrealistic at the end, but I don't want to spoil the story! I was also inspired to listen to some Leonard Cohen due to the links with Lucy/Marianne and her mum.
Derrian
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best Emily Barr book I've read. It followed a trait used by the author in her other novels,that of double lives/reinvention. Travel also featured heavily again.

I found myself really enjoying the parts of the book with Marianne as a teenager but couldn't engage with her as an adult. The ending was also disappointing and somewhat far fetched,almost as if the author didn't quite know how to wrap it up and then got a bit carried away with the storyline.

An ok read.
Kristen
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book looks like it would be a light hearted chick lit read, but it's NOT. It is VERY dark and is a thriller. Emily Barr has weaved an addictive, fast paced novel that I would HIGHLY reccomend to all of my friends. It is very complex but is presented in a realistic and absorbing way. I don't want to spoil the plot by giving any information away. Check it out but do not start it late at night as it will keep you up all night reading.
Lena Blomme
Spannend boek, goed, moet wel he, want heb hem op 1 dag uitgelezen.

Lucy Riddick heeft een perfect leventje, tot ze op een dag het dochtertje van haar vriendin van een rots redt.
Dan komt haar verleden aan het licht.
Het boek wordt geschreven in verschillende verhaallijnen, heden en verleden. En algauw kom je te weten waarom Lucy, die eigenlijk Marianne heet op de vlucht gaat.
Uiteindelijk kan ze het verleden volledig achter zich laten en wordt ze verenigd met haar geliefden.
Kruimel
Barr lijkt altijd over één constante te schrijven. Vrouwen die elders onder een nieuwe naam een nieuw leven beginnen. En vreemd genoeg draait elk boek altijd heel anders uit en blijft het boek na boek boeiend.
Ook met dit boek. Je wordt afwisselend van verleden naar heden geslingerd en langzaam pelt ze alle laagjes weg. Fijn en ontspannend leesvoer. Alleen jammer dat het plot iets te snel afgeraffeld wordt.
Steph Robinson
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't give anything but 5 stars because I sat in bed for 8 hours reading this yesterday. I loved the format of the book, as it was easy to follow and added to the mystery of why Lucy was running away from her old life. Although I had worked out a lot of the story before I read it, however that didn't spoil the book, and I even managed to miss something, which is unusual for me. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will seek out some other books by Emily Barr now.
Sue
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Perfect Lie was full of twists and turns and kept my interest to the end. There was one part that stretched my imagination a bit but it's no different to strange things you hear in the news from time to time. I liked the way the lie was gradually revealed and one secret very near the end I didn't see coming at all.

Very enjoyable, touches on some darker issues but not it a way that I found it too uncomfortable to read.
Cláudia
Emily
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really interesting. It was well written, had a bit of mystery, but mostly; captivating. Its not light read, not a summer romance novel. I recommend it for all ages, its a book everyone would like.
Leanne
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another book I bought at a risk after Amazon "Recommended" it to me, but surprisingly I really enjoyed this book! A very easy read, a little predictable, but there are a few twists and turns throughout that keep you interested and wanting to read more.
  • Leaves of Hope
  • To Touch the Stars
  • Promises, Promises
  • Foursome
  • Wild Things
Emily Barr worked as a journalist in London, but always hankered after a quiet room and a book to write. She went travelling for a year, writing a column in the Guardian about it as she went, and it was there that she had an idea for a novel set in the world of backpackers in Asia. This became Backpack, which won the WH Smith New Talent Award. She has since written eleven more adult novels publish ...more
More about Emily Barr...