Start by marking “Let's All Find Awesome Jobs” as Want to Read:
Let's All Find Awesome Jobs

Let's All Find Awesome Jobs

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  85 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Let's All Find Awesome Jobs: Actual information on how to get a job, from someone who at least has a clue how it works.

Equal parts how-to guide and pep-talk, Let's All Find Awesome Jobs is Kevin Fanning's attempt to level the job search playing field.

Working for years in hiring and recruiting, Kevin noticed applicants making the same small mistakes over and over again,
chapbook, 44 pages
Published April 2010 by Cold God Press (first published March 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Let's All Find Awesome Jobs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's All Find Awesome Jobs

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Let's All Find Awesome Jobs
Lizzie
I did a funny thing with this book. Well, first a funny thing happened in my life: I was not searching for a job, but on a rabbit-hole, petulant kind of day, I saw a job post that made my heart stop a while. Somewhere in my brain someone blew a thick layer of dust off an old box like in a movie. Unfortunately, the job was too perfect, too good for me, and therefore I couldn't apply for it. No way. But it was too bad, because it was a life-changer. It was terrifying, and right. And I wanted to ...more
Matthew
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE - April 29th, 2010: I was unemployed when I bought this book, now I have a job. It's not a coincidence.

******

I had quite a conundrum rating this book. Usually I reserve five stars for books that are revelatory or exceptionally affecting or life-changing. For that reason I thought this had to be a four star book. Kevin lays out his expert advice for getting a job, and he makes it clear there's no magic tricks or easy secrets that can help you.

But maybe this is fact is revelatory and life
Rachelskirts
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As the title implies, this book offers useful, cleverly written material on how to find an awesome job. The advice is solid, and the encouragement welcomed, especially to college students like myself who still dread all the scary things waiting out there in the "real world." The section on writing a cover letter was my favorite, since I'm supposed to be writing several this week as part of Operation: Land a Marketing Internship.

If you're searching for a job yourself, read this book. If you know
Monica
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As someone else said, "I was unemployed when I bought this book, now I have a job. It's not a coincidence." Me too. Really excellent.
Pamster
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This has been loaned out since I bought it a million years ago, and I just got it back this weekend. Which is absolutely fine, because I have a job that I am into! But I just read it straight through anyway, mostly because it was sitting right in front of where I am sitting and eating, and it's really funny and also acknowledges how degrading and sort of nonsensical job hunting is. It acknowledges feelings! But it is also practical! Super practical, in a way that I imagine would be very ...more
Chris
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've read other job hunting books, mostly because I was desperate to get out of my parents' basement, but this was actually a fun read that I wouldn't mind revisiting.

While the cover itself is pretty great, the pages contain sound advice for anyone looking for a job, be it an awesome job or a just a job. Buy the eBook, put it on your phone or tablet or laptop, and read whatever chapter applies to your most vivid job hunting nightmare while waiting in the lobby for your interview. It worked for
Marie
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short and succinct, but sufficient for its purpose.

Couldn't help myself.

I appreciated the brevity of the book, and though it doesn't cover new ground, the Fanning's direct approach was effective. I think it had one of the clearest discussions on the how-to of cover letters I've ever read, and the most useful for me.

Admittedly, I'm comparing it mostly to those monster.com job search advice briefs, but I don't regret the dollar I spent on this.
Neil
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Useful, succinct, and very funny. You may think you know all this but--based on my limited experiences reading resumes and interviewing people on the phone and in person--many, many people do not.

Colleges should give away stacks of this to their students; it takes less time to read than a one-hour session with someone in the career center and would free up those staff member to concentrate on tough problems like How to Figure Out What Would Be a Line of Work That Would Interest You.
Jenine
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Particularly apt for the person new to hunting for a professional job. But anyone will enjoy the down to brass tacks attitude. Good reminders for the procedure of resume and cover letter writing. And plenty about interview behavior and realistic expectations. A supportive reality check for jobhunters.
Anna
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
helpful. amusing. transcendent and small. i love it! perhaps i'll love it more when i reread it in the future with the intention of becoming for-real employed, instead of the intention of having giggles.
Annie
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
am helping one my sisters hunt for a new job and forgot how goddamn funny and, more importantly, super useful this booklet.
Joanna Vaught
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i'm so glad that this is in book form finally, so that i can stop hassling kevin with panicked emails whenever i am job-searching.

laaaaames
Apr 17, 2010 marked it as to-read
All I did was talk to Kevin about this book and I got offered a job! So what I'm saying is it might be magic.
Jennie
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
For a book about resumes and junk, it's sure making me laugh out loud a whole lot.
Elizabeth
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Highly recommended to anyone who might ever be looking for a job. So basically everyone.
Danika
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Kfan
Tina
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I got a job a few days after I ordered this book. Coincidence? Most likely. But I still read it and thought it had lots of good information. If I'm job hunting again, I'll definitely reread it.
Phillip Guillory
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful book and helpful at a time when I needed it.
Lee Cate
Neil
May 03, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »

• Grandma?
  • Better Off After College: A Guide To Paying For College With More Aid And Less Debt
  • Tanuki: The Folklore of Japan's Trickster
I woke up driving and screaming.