Start by marking “Chasing Redbird” as Want to Read:
Chasing Redbird

Chasing Redbird

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  10,335 Ratings  ·  650 Reviews
Zinny Taylor: Explorer

It started out as an ordinary summer. But the minute thirteen-year-old Zinny discovered the old, overgrown trail that ran through the woods behind her family's house, she realized that things were about to change.

Right from the start, Zinny knew that uncovering the trail would be more than just a summer project. It was her chance to finally make peopl
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Redbird, please sign up.

Cassady Adams No, this book is realistic fiction but not very historical.

Meghan Cobb
Mar 04, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
it's very sad in the first 14 pages
Patti
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
With profound insight, Sharon Creech reminds all of us how insular our world is as a child. Twelve year old Zinny spends the summer uncovering a path she found that leads from her farm to the shores of the Ohio River. With each foot of dirt and weeds she pushes away she gains insights into her family she had always taken for granted and understands that many of her childhood assumptions are untrue. Zinny assumes her words and actions affect the huge life issues she witnesses throughout her child ...more
Peter Heinrich
Creech knows how to tell the story of someone coming to terms with family, self, and painful (often devastating) loss. The details are always interesting along the way, and the writing clear and un-self-conscious.

I did have a little trouble with this book, though, because of the whole Rose component of the story. By "trouble" I mean I'm a pushover for that kind of thing and can easily be manipulated into any emotional corner desired. Was I a mess when we discover what's stored at the cabin? Big
Tiffany
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. It's a great book that makes you laugh. If you haven't read this before, you must read it!
Dolly
Our local library children's book club selected this book for their June 2016 discussion. It's a fast read and really grabs at the reader's heart strings.

I liked that Sharon Creech weaves familiar names and places from other stories like Walk Two Moons and Absolutely Normal Chaos.

The tale is sweet, yet melancholy. It is filled with longing and remembrance and even the hurt from missing our loved ones. But it also really shows how we all need some solitude at times and that the quiet can help s
Mia Giarritano
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much! It was such a beautiful story about a girl who lost her Aunt Jessie. The book is called Chasing Redbird because Jessie's husband Nate, called her Redbird. Along the way Zinny Taylor finds a hidden trail. I loved this book because it was really interesting and adventurous to read.
Wendy
Chasing Redbird is written by Sharon Creech, and is about thirteen-year old Zinny Taylor who lives in Kansas on her families farm. She grows up with her two older brothers and her Aunt "Redbird" and Uncle Nate. She grows up becoming best friends with her cousin Rose all her childhood until she suddenly dies, of whooping cough at a young age. Zinny spends almost every second she can trying to find a way to get away from her family and the seldom privacy of her small rural town, where everybody kn ...more
Tmimhoff
SUMMARY: 13 year old Zinny Taylor has nothing to call her own. She soon finds a trail in which she uncovers.

PASSAGE: From far below came the mournful train whistle, and I instictively turned in the direction of the farm, thinking of the ash tree and the cardinals and Aunt Jessie and Uncle Nate. My family would be clattering around the dinner table, and I wondereed if anyone would notice I was gone. Out flew another scene: my parents getting up early that morning to see me off. And another: Sam s
Nya
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Zinny's Aunt and cousin die there's a lot of mysterious! For starters what is she doing that's a crime? Why did this boy give her a ring? Where did it go and why did the cops come and say he stole it? Whats going on...so why is Zinny trespassing? Why is the girl dead in the dresser? Read this book to find out whats happening! I recommend this book to everyone who likes mysteries!!

This book can be found in almost every library!!

Level V
Zoe G
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books! I loved how they used different animals and plants as symbols. I also liked how it told you all of Zinnie's feelings and thought because it added to the mood of the story.
Tasia
Eh. Just struck me as a really dysfunctional group of people and a family that doesn't have enough time for itself. There's no real resolve to anything, and the end feels like Zinnia's just getting herself entangled with a boy who's trouble. Not too impressed with this one.
Evey
3,5 stars

Another of my pre-teen/teen reads. I liked it less than the other book I read from her, but—anyway—I'd recommend it for young readers.
A Girl Has No Name
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
5 stars!

Ich, Zinny Taylor has been a fantastic read - it actually had everything in order to get me hooked. Zinny Taylor and her six brothers and sisters are growing up on a farm in Kentucky and the 13-year-old teenager is different from the other kids - she is collecting a varity of things, is spending a lot of time outside of her family and is far from talkative. When Jake Boone gets back to town and starts making Zinny a number of exciting gifts, she is sure that he is using her in order to
Ashley Jacobson
What? I'm surprised that this is the same author as Walk Two Moons....well I guess I'm not surprised, but the difference in quality could not be any different! It's another quirky girl finding herself after a loved one leaves her life. But this book was just odd! I don't even want my kids reading it. The plot was weird and the lessons were not what I want my kids reading.

The aunt and the whole drawer thing is off, but it's even worse that she kept her dead baby in one. And then the creepy shrine
Ika Maniz
Ini mengisahkan tentang seorang gadis bernama Zinny Taylor yang tinggal di pinggiran kota kecil Bybanks bersama keluarga besarnya. Ia merasa terasingkan dalam keluarganya sendiri, ini dikarenakan dia memiliki 6 saudara, 3 adik laki - laki, seorang adik perempuan dan 2 kakak perempuan. Mereka adalah Will, Ben, Sam, Bonnie,May, Gretcheen. Namun May kakaknya yang menyebabkan dia tidak betah di rumah, karena May selalu mengatai Zinny aneh dan pelit. May terkenal sangat cantik. Banyak teman laki- lak ...more
Catherine
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
If I could, I would give this book 2 1/2 starts. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I didn't really like the characters. I found Zinny was selfish in many ways. I understand that she was dealing with grief, but the whole thing seemed really contrived.

I didn't like Jake, and I wouldn't want my daughter to date him - ever. He is dishonest, but then again, so is Zinny. I didn't like that Zinny was friends with Sal. That part bugged me. I loved Walk Two Moons, and I didn't want Zinny interloping on
Stacey Kym
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reviews
I only picked up 'Chasing Redbird' because it was short but let me tell you that I did not regret it! When it first started, I thought it was yet another "soulful" and "depressing" novel about yet another girl experiencing hard life and whining about it because she couldn't deal with it. Read it and done that. But, no...'Chasing Redbird' surprised me in a lot of ways.
1) It grew on me.
2) It intrigued me and made me actually want to read it.
3) I totally understood the character.
4) It made me cry.
Bailey Kapitzke
Nov 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good book. It was one of my favorite childhood books, but I was suprised at how different I remembered the plot. Sharon Creech does an awesome job describing the exact thought of each character as well as the relationships between characters. The main character, Zinny, is a little younger than myself so I thought it got a little slow at times. I especially liked the ending because more action happened with Zinny and her secret trail. I recommend this book to younger adults or any ...more
Avery
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little girl named Zinny has always wondered what was outside her little village. Being responsible for her cousins death and causing her uncle into depression she now realizes that she can't do anything write and doesn't deserve life. Until she discovers a hidden trail to a secret ghost town. After another mysterious death Zinny knows what to do and the only way is to commit a crime.

Fiction

Level: V
Rachel
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is classic Sharon Creech, in the very best way. A nice blend of coming of age, romance, and a touch of magical realism. Also nicely melancholy, but with moments of humor as well. The voice of Zinnie is exceptionally strong, perhaps the most so of any of Creech's books I've read. A little slow in some spots, but highly recommended nonetheless.
Abrar Hammadi
I enjoyed reading this book, because it's about self discovery,forgiveness, and learning how to love and trust others. The book has it's ups and downs, but I recommend this book to those who love to read good books.

I didn't really like how there was so much death in the book, it made even more depressing. Overall, the book was enjoyable.
Celeste
I thought this book was just ok. I wouldn't say that it was a bad book---I just wouldn't recommend it as a "good read". I do like how she writes....if you want to read a really good book by this author read "Walk Two Moons"!! I loved that!!
Eliece
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A coming-of-age-tale about a girl who finds herself while out clearing and old historical trail. I am a big Sharon Creech fan, but this is definately not her best. There are some cute characters and nice moments, but lots of plot holes and huh? situations.
Amanda
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creech has an interesting way of writing. If you've read, Walk Two Moons and liked it, you'll probably like this one too. I didn't care for the ending. I think I'm really picky about my endings. I'd say more but I don't want to ruin it for anyone.
Susan Beecher
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and thoughtful young adult novel.
H
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, another great Sharon Creech book.
Cmdr Bly
i thought it was kinda weird
Veronica Nagorny
Hey guys,

Welcome to my review of Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech. This wasn't my first time reading this but I figured since I haven't read in a while I should read something I know I like in order to fall back in love with it. Lately I've been having this thing where I cannot get myself to start reading a book but once I start I can't put it down.

Sharon Creech is my favorite middle grade author and I love all of her books. I was introduced to her in the fourth grade by my teacher, who was the
Nichole Forest
1. Category/Genre: Fiction, Historical
2. Copyright Date: 1997
3. Age level of interest: Grades 3-6
4. Reading level: 5.2
5. Brief Description: Zinnia Taylor, a thirteen year old girl, lives in rural Kentucky with her family and next door to her Aunt Jessie and Uncle Nate. She desperately wants time to herself to work on an overgrown trail and have something she can call her own. When her Aunt dies, she tries to help her Uncle Nate cope with the many changes in his life.
6. Two Characteristics:
1. Co
Bethany
This was a surprise book, and by that, I mean, this book was not on my radar until I started reading it. I saw it on my library's ebook page, liked the title, recognized the author's name, and sort of thought, "Oh, yeah, sure." And then I was reading.

And...This is a book about grief. It's not dark, its not what one would call a tearjerker--it's not manipulative, not out to make anyone cry. It's an adventure, it's a journey, and it's just sort of honest. Loss is hard. Losing a beloved child, a c
Future Teachers, ...: Griselda Rivera Review 4 1 2 Oct 22, 2016 05:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong setting 2 63 Aug 17, 2016 12:46PM
  • Each Little Bird that Sings
  • Wringer
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
  • The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place
  • Phoenix Rising
  • Across The Wide And Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary Of Hattie Campbell
  • Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)
  • The Graduation of Jake Moon
  • Matilda Bone
  • The Birthday Room
  • Backwater
  • Project Mulberry
  • Searching for David's Heart: A Christmas Story
  • Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1)
  • Dreams In The Golden Country: the Diary of Zipporah Feldman, a Jewish Immigrant Girl, New York City, 1903 (Dear America Series)
  • I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly: The Diary of Patsy, a Freed Girl, Mars Bluff, South Carolina, 1865 (Dear America)
  • Larger-Than-Life Lara
  • Journey
I was born in South Euclid, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, and grew up there with my noisy and rowdy family: my parents (Ann and Arvel), my sister (Sandy), and my three brothers (Dennis, Doug and Tom).
For a fictional view of what it was like growing up in my family, see Absolutely Normal Chaos. (In that book, the brothers even have the same names as my own brothers.) Our house was not only full of
More about Sharon Creech...

“Maybe it was the same with people: if you studied them,you'd see new and different things. But would you like what you saw? Did it depend on who was doing the looking?” 45 likes
“Man needs bread and hyacinths: one to feed the body, and one to feed the soul.” 22 likes