Start by marking “Amerika” as Want to Read:
Amerika

Amerika

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  17,104 Ratings  ·  655 Reviews
Неоконченный роман Кафки, более известный не под авторским названием, а под названием "Америка", данным ему издателями.
Кафка, никогда не бывавший в США, всё же сумел ощутить абсурдность бешеного американского ритма жизни и в полной мере передать его на примере странных, сюрреалистических приключений юного иммигранта из Европы, покорно подчиняющегося обстоятельствам. Обстоя
Published 1962 by Schocken Books (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Amerika, please sign up.

Alice Macali david foster wallace tried to explain kafka's subtle humor several times, perhaps you can check an article called "laughing with kafka"

Fernando
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jorge Luis Borges afirmaba que los personajes de Kafka eran “Profesionales de la derrota.” En cierto modo, podemos asegurar eso cuando encuadramos a tres personajes tan particulares como K. de "El Castillo", Joseph K. de "El Proceso" y Karl Rossman, protagonista de "América" en ese rótulo, todo confirma que este genio nunca se equivocaba y en cierta medida, los podemos ver como personajes alter ego con características autobiográficas del mismo Kafka.
Pero hay algo esperanzador en América que no
Franco  Santos
3.5

Esta es la quinta obra de Kafka que leo (aunque es mi primera novela). Me gustó mucho. Se me hizo bastante pesada en algunas partes, pero la historia me parece brillante; una muestra más de la agudeza de este hombre con baja autoestima.

Son varios los temas que desfilan en este libro. Los siguientes son los que más destacan, en mi opinión:

▪ Kafka juega con sutiliza con los matices sociales, los títulos que nos damos por lo que empleamos y la significación relativa que nos otorgamos como una es
Pantelis
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Der Verschollene, The Lost... Kafka' s Bildungsroman, Kafka' s "Candide", a novel about losing your innocence again and again, bit by bit, until you lose it completely, until you are completely lost, and the only way to claim your innocence back is to join the Oklahoma Theater, to board that final train... This is not an unfinished novel...
Nandakishore Varma
I loved this first novel by Kafka, much more sunny and easier to read than his others (even though the chapter on Brunelda is pretty frightening). This is incomplete - but does not matter much as Kafka's stories are dreamlike and disjointed anyway.

Kafka never visited America. I was thinking today that whatever is happening in America nowadays is much weirder and more surreal than any of his novels.
Nicholas Karpuk
I had difficulties not feeling like a tool while reading Kafka at work on my breaks. A guy with a beard and thick rimmed glasses read Amerika, just makes me feel like a parody of myself.

Kafka is one of those authors young men latch on to in high school or college and inevitably talk way too much about. I can definitely see the appeal with the themes of alienation and a system that works against the well-meaning individual. But there's something I realized while reading this book:

Kafka would have
Tijana
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reprize
Ne znam, možda da napravim policu "knjige koje me nisu ubile, a baš su se potrudile"?
Ne radi se o tome da Kafka nije dobar, naprotiv, previše je dobar u onome što pokušava, a to je da vas (mene) natera da se grčite od transfera blama, da vas (mene) glavom nadole uroni u depresivnu epizodu, da ubije životnu radost u vama (meni). Da, znam da je on sam smatrao kako je zapravo humorista. Dobro, važi. Da, jeste pisac neverovatno bizarne mašte, zapletenih tokova misli, upečatljivo groznih paklenih viz
Vipassana
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book over a year ago but decided against reading it once I realised that it was 'unfinished' and I didn't want that for my first Kafka. In retrospect it seems so foolish, but I cannot deny the fact that I'm glad I hadn't read it then because I wasn't filled with the sufficient amount of despair towards the life I lead, to throughly feel this book, to find closure in it's incompleteness.

One is easily horrified by the rare and exceptional abominations of the world, but not by everyda
Chak
Sep 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angst-ridden hipsters who aren't worth the trouble to punch
Recommended to Chak by: my husband... THANKS!
Shelves: fiction
Life is too short. Don't walk - RUN - away from this book. Masochist that I am, I got more than two-thirds through the book and finally could not stand it anymore. Amerika is about this 16 year old boy named Karl who gets exiled to America by his German parents after impregnating a household servant. Just as he was bewildered and passive during the aforementioned fornication (the maid overtly seduced him), Karl remained so for the rest of the book (at least what I read). Repeatedly, and without ...more
Vit Babenco
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franz Kafka just watches, he doesn’t comment…
“As the seventeen-year-old Karl Rossmann, who had been sent to America by his unfortunate parents because a maid had seduced him and had a child by him, sailed slowly into New York harbour, he suddenly saw the Statue of Liberty, which had already been in view for some time, as though in an intenser sunlight. The sword in her hand seemed only just to have been raised aloft, and the unchained winds blew about her form.”
And Karl Rossmann encounters many
Reckoner
'' Ειναι δυσκολο να υπερασπισεις τον εαυτο σου οταν δεν υπαρχει καλη θεληση'' μονολογει ο νεαρος και απειρος Καρλ Ροσμαν οταν θα συνειδητοποιησει οτι ο κοσμος ειναι αδικος και σκληρος. Ωστοσο γεματος νεανικη ορμη και ησυχη συνειδηση δε μοιαζει να απογοητευεται απο τις δυσκολιες που προβαλλουν στον δρομο του. Διαφορα μικρα περιστατικα θα τον στιγματισουν απο τη στιγμη που θα φτασει στην Αμερικη συναντωντας καθε λογης ανθρωπους και με συγκινητικη και αφελη απλοτητα θα φτασει ως την καθαρση αναζητω ...more
Edward
Cover of the first edition of 'Der Heizer' ('The Stoker')
Publisher's Note
Translator's Preface & Notes

--Amerika: The Missing Person

Fragments:
Brunelda's Departure
At a street corner Karl saw ...
They traveled for two days ...

Acknowledgments
Chronology
Bibliography
A Note on the Type
Lobstergirl
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marco Rubio
Shelves: own, covers, fiction

Well my friend Chak says to run from this book - she recommends it for "angst-ridden hipsters who aren't worth the trouble to punch" - which doesn't describe me - I like to think I am worth the trouble to punch. But I saw it in the store with this adorable Edward Gorey cover (totally uncredited) and knew it would be mine all mine. It smells like an old mausoleum but that's what I get for buying a book from the Eisenhower era.

-----

Wow. Weird, weird, weird. I liked the first third of Amerika quite
hossein sharifi
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Franz Kafka
ژانر کتاب: رمان کوتاه و ادبیات تمثیلی یا همان الگوری
تمثیل یکی از صور خیال است و یکی از انواع تشبیه به حساب می آید. تمثيل حكايتي است در نثر يا نظم با دو معني : معني نخستين يا معني ظاهري و معني ثانويه . تمثيل يك داستان است در لغتنامه اصطلاحات ادبی کادن اینگونه تعریف شده است که، مي توان الگوری را در دو لايه يا سطح فهميد و خواند و در بعضي موارد حتي تا سه مفهوم را نيز در بردارد. قالب آن مي تواند ادبي يا تصويري باشد یا هر دوي آنها. منشأ تمثيل بسيار قديمي است و از آن براي اشكال گوناگون در بيان استفاد
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
My copy has a Preface written by one Klaus Mann in August 1940. It describes Franz Kafka's life, his very sad life. He had poor health, worked in a gloomy office, never made enough money and with a solitary romance that was "doomed to dreary frustration." He never enjoyed any spectacular success as an author. His works became famous only after he died. Drats.

AMERIKA was supposed to be Kafka's light, funny and optimistic novel. It tells the story of Karl Rossman, a poor boy of sixteen who had bee
Chad Post
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple years ago, some trickster posted the first page of David Foster Wallace's INFINITE JEST to a Yahoo group looking for advice about "his" new novel. Not surprisingly, the um, yahoos, didn't recognize the source text and populated the message board with all sorts of terrible advice about the lack of action and the fact that he "knows what to do--just dump it and start over!"

Obviously, this provided a shitton of laughs for the literati, for those who respect DFW's writing and know that the
Cecily
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter (The Stoker, https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) was published as a short story and is included in The Metamorphosis. The usual themes of alienation/rejection, aspiring to please/fit in, being bemused in unfamiliar territory are there, but it is generally more optimistic and realistic than his other novels, though the final chapter (about the Nature Theatre of Oklahoma) is much more surreal, and doesn't really seem to "fit" with the rest of the novel.

See my Kafka-related
Sonia M
Ο Καρλ Ρόσμαν φτάνει στη "χώρα των ευκαιριών" αλλά για να επιβιώσεις εκεί χρειάζεσαι είτε να έχεις γερό πορτοφόλι από πριν είτε κάποιον προστάτη. Κι ενώ αρχικά τον προστατεύει ο πλούσιος θείος του με αντάλλαγμα να του καθορίζει τη ζωή, μια πράξη του που φαίνεται σαν ανυπακοή στα μάτια του θείου, γίνεται αιτία να βγει στο δρόμο. Μπορεί να βρει κύκλο για υποστήριξη; Μόνο τυχοδιώκτες. Μπορεί να βρει δουλειά; Μόνο αν δεχτεί να γίνει σκλάβος με την υπόσχεση ν' ανέβει κοινωνικά κάποια στιγμή στο μέλλο ...more
Gypsy
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
انتظار داشتم ازش خوشم بیاد. ولی خیلی تکخطی بود. حقیقتاً کافکا یهجور ملالانگیزی مینویسه. شاید هم برای من اینطور بود. ولی دغدغهشو دوست داشتم. درگیری و گرههاش خوب درومده بودن. کاش هیجان بیشتری داشت یا اینقد تکخطی نبود روایتش. هیچکششی برای تمومکردنش نداشتم. دیالوگها بخش اعظم روشنگری داستان بودن که گمونم اگه نویسنده هنرشو توشون نمیذاشت، دیگه چیزی از داستان باقی نمیموند. در واقع داستان مدیون دیالوگنویسی، شخصیتپردازی و درونمایهشه. وگرنه طوری نیست که بگم داستان تکنیکیای هست. اینایی که چار و پنج دادن، بگ ...more
Rick Slane
I am not sure what is a spoiler and what is not, but before I read this I had a very wrong idea about it. This is the most humorous Kafka work. According to the intro he was doing his version of David Copperfield in a country he never visited but learned about in a biography of Benjamin Franklin. I have not read much James Thurber but that is the similarity that I found.

Nikolai Stavrogin
ცხადია, ვარსკვალები არაფერს ცვლის და წყვეტს, მაგრამ ყოველთვის, როცა კაფკას რომელიმე ნაწარმოებს წავიკითხავ, თუნდაც ნახევარი გვერდი იყოს, მინდა ჩამოვუყვე ყველა სხვა ავტორის წიგნებს და თითო ვარსკვლავი ჩამოვაკლო.
Maryana Pinchuk
There's perverse pleasure in watching a genius fail. If you love Kafka, read this to know why: watch as his beautiful existential vignettes die horribly the moment they are bolted onto a conventional plot. Marvel at how trite the themes of contemporary fiction are when they're no longer contemporary. Cheer (okay, maybe not cheer...) to know the man tortured himself to do better than this sophomoric attempt at a first novel. And, if you're a way more persistent reader than I, maybe actually finis ...more
Dimitris
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Passages of pure genius, I can't understand why he would not finish it, why he wanted it burnt... But an unfinished Kafka "draft" is better written that any other author's overpolished final piece.
Ali AlShewail
تنبيه : المراجعة دي تحتوي على حرق لأحداث الرواية في أكتر من موضع.

بعد فترة طويلة من رغبتي في القراءة له تم لقائي الأول بالروائي الألماني فرانز كافكا، بدأت بآخر أعماله "أمريكا" واللي توصف بإنها أكثر أعماله تفاؤلا و أقلها سوداوية.

في الحقيقة طول فترة القراءة اللي أمتدت أسبوع و زيادة مكنتش قادر أتخلص من فكرتي المسبقة عن كافكا في إنه شخص قاتم النفس و قلمه قاتم زيه، الفكرة اللي كونتها من مقالات و مراجعات كتيرة قريتها عنه و عن أعماله خاصة روايته الأشهر "التحول".

على الرغم من إن الرواية دي بتتكلم عن قصة
معتز
ما الذي يسعني قوله!
أن تلك الرواية تقرأ ببطء دفعة ثم تترك، ثم تقرأ من جديد و تترك كأنها جرعات على فترات
أن لها من الأثر ما يترك ترسبات في روح قارئها.. على الأقل بالنسبة لي نفسية، رغم ما سمعته أنها تعد أكثر روايات كافكا تفاؤلاً ، سعادة ، أو بهجة..
ما أفهمه هو أن كافكا قدم حياة واقعية عادية في إطار غير عادي و دون مبالغات تصويرية، و لا عجب في ذلك.. فالواقعية السحرية خرجت من تحت عباءته
تلك القدرة التي تجعله قادرًا على أن ينقل مشهد عادي من الحياة لا يبدو منطقيًا ليجعله ممنطقًا ومقنعًا أكثر من اللازم.
يقو
Mi Na
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
امریکا(مفقودالاثر) ترجمه علی اصغر حداد نشرماهی
مفقودالاثر واریاسیونی است از یک طرح کلی منسجم متشکل از اغوا، خطا، بازخواست و محکومیت. شخصیتهای این رمان عبارتند از کارل روسمن و در کنار او شخصیتی پدرسالار و سلطه جو و زنانی اغواگر. هر یک از اپیزودهای رمان تاییدی است بر یک خطا که در مفقودالاثر هم مانند محاکمه یا حکم وقوع آن مسلم و انکارناپذیر است.
Kain
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
يأتي هذا العمل من رغبة كافكا في الاختفاء، والذي ينمسخ في آخر الأمر إلى حضورٍ أكثر من المتوقع.

لسرد كافكا نبرة صلاتية اعترافية خاشعة، بكل السخرية اللاذعة التي تنطوي عليها.
Tứ Huỳnh
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Mình khá bất ngờ khi lần đầu tiên quyển này được xuất bản ở Việt Nam, vì nào giờ mình mới biết đến sự tồn tại của nó, và cũng bất ngờ không kém khi biết quyển này là một trong những trước tác đầu tiên mà Kafka khởi thảo.

Kafka có cái...tài (hay tật!?) phác thảo rất kĩ lưỡng những nội dung chính và những vấn đề cực kì gay gắt qua những tác phẩm của mình, nhưng lại bỏ dở và không hoàn thành chúng. Quyển này nằm trong Bộ ba về nỗi cô đơn (gồm Kẻ mất tích, Lâu đài, Vụ án) với ba nhân vật như phản án
Aygul A.
daha oxumadighim bir sheyin qalmadi, deyesen, Kafka))))) tezeden doghul, lutfen
Pat
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's something I've noticed about pre 1900 European adolescent protagonists (Karl, anyone in Dickens, Jude The Obscure) that I just fucking loathe.

Partly it's the total lack of agency, any random sketchbag who floats across their transom holds them completely in thrall. Delamarche and Robinson start out by making Karl sell his own clothes (he's has a prepaid train ticket to San Fran to look for work and has a pocket full of money, but instead he takes their advice to sell the clothes off his
Shane
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
That this was Kafka’s first work is painfully obvious: pompous, complex sentences that do not fit with the pioneer setting of early 20th century America, dialogue resembling speeches, constant back-peddling explanations for character actions or motivations, and an intrusive narrator who tries to fill in what the author is unable to show his readers. Most authors ride this road to maturity. Of course, Kafka’s benefactor Max Brod put this all down to surrealism and genius and the rest of the world ...more
Who is fanny? 8 182 Aug 13, 2016 07:34PM
Around the Year i...: Amerika, by Franz Kafka 1 17 Aug 10, 2016 06:29PM
  • Auto-da-Fé
  • The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge
  • The Confusions of Young Törless
  • Franz Kafka's The Castle (Dramatization)
  • The Assistant
  • Conversations with Kafka
  • I'm Not Stiller
  • The Hothouse
  • The Sleepwalkers
Franz Kafka was one of the major fiction writers of the 20th century. He was born to a middle-class German-speaking Jewish family in Prague, Bohemia (presently the Czech Republic), Austria–Hungary. His unique body of writing—much of which is incomplete and which was mainly published posthumously—is considered to be among the most influential in Western literature.

His stories include The Metamorpho
More about Franz Kafka...

“So then you’re free?’
‘Yes, I’m free,’ said Karl, and nothing seemed more worthless than his freedom.”
51 likes