Start by marking “Hugless Douglas” as Want to Read:
Hugless Douglas

Hugless Douglas

(Hugless Douglas)

Douglas is a big brown, huggable, lovable bear, and he wakes up one morning in need of a hug. He goes to try and find one -- but none of them seem quite right. Join Douglas on his search for the perfect bear hug!
Published February 1st 2010 by Hodder Children's Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hugless Douglas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hugless Douglas

Start your review of Hugless Douglas
Shovelmonkey1
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kitty who is going to get this for her birthday next week
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: waterstones
Before you all start panicking, I have not started spawning a tribe of miniature goodreaders - the earth will be safe from that calamity for a while yet. I bought this for my friend's little girl who is two next week. I phoned her up and said, "so how old is the kid, is she two or three because I can't remember?" The friend sighed a long sigh and said, "no she's only two, it just feels like she's been here for a lot longer!" And that, my friends, tells me all I need to know about child rearing.

I
Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young children, especially those who love bears, and hugs
Recommended to Lisa (not getting friends updates) by: Kathryn
Okay, this is adorable. So cute! And sweet! And funny!

I loved in the details in the pictures including Douglas the bear’s own teddy bear, the rabbit’s many carrots and the picture of carrots hung up, and all the types of hugs at the end.

The story is very sweet and appropriate for the youngest child. It’s a story that begs to be read aloud; it’s really fun to read out loud to a listener/listeners. It’s quite amusing for the reader to follow Douglas looking for a hug and hugging some less than hug
Kathryn
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think a lot of kids (and adults) will get a kick out of this story of the baby bear Douglas who wakes up and feels like he really needs a hug. (Gosh, I think we can all relate to that on some days!) But, he is still quite big and, well, a bear--so not really a creature a lot of critters will be eager to hug. He improvises but nothing is quite satisfactory until he finds the one creature who can give him the best hug of all. The illustrations are a hoot! I especially enjoyed the final two pages ...more
Tina Roberts
Hugless Douglas, by David Melling, is a sweet story about a bear who wakes up one morning in need of a hug, so he goes out in search of one.
He knows that the best hugs are tall, wide, cosy and soft and he gets into some amusing situations hugging things that don’t quite match up to the one he’s searching for.

The text is simple and bold and perfectly pitched for the Early Years Foundation Stage. Key words are written in a style which reflects their meaning (for example, the words ‘quivered’ and ‘
Katja
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Compared to the outstanding picture books like the Knuffle Bunny or Olivia series I'm reading over and over again with my toddler at the moment, this was more of a standard, run-of-the-mill picture book. Cute, funny, but overall just ok for me. ...more
Ann
Douglas wakes up after his hibernation and needs a hug. And you know, sometimes I think we all feel that way.

So, Douglas goes around trying to find a hug, and trying to think of the kinds of hugs he like. But, even though a rock might be big, it doesn't make the best "big hug." And even though a tree is tall, it doesn't give the best "tall hug."

Douglas' antics get more and more amusing (sheep, rabbits, owls, etc.) as he tries to find a hug.

Finally he get's a little help in finding the kind of hu
Oct 01, 2020 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor Douglas needs a hug, but he can't seem to find one. Thankfully eventually a friendly rabbit helps him out and he finds the hug he needs. A fairly entertaining story, though with a slightly questionable message about consent (he hugs the sheep even though they tell him they don't want him to!) but which could be used to explore saying no and respecting personal space with younger children.
Kenson and kirra
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
totally been reading the title of this book all wrong for weeks. pronouncing it Huge-less douglas. makes so much more sence when you realize all he wants is hugged. most problems can be solved with a hug, come to think of it.
Isobel
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for reception children to teach them about respecting others and making children feel better.
Courtney Otto
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I rated this book 3 stars, because while it was a good book, I prefer a bit more depth. This book has social/emotional lessons, teaches respect for personal space, and ties in math and science. This book explores the fact that not everyone wants to be hugged, so you should ask before hugging them. I also liked how the author put directions in the book, along with talking about different animals and nature.
The Library Lady
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet without being saccharine, utterly lovable art and story, with the perfect ending. Love the end pages with demonstrations of many kinds of hugs.
Elizabeth
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
So cute. we couldn't stop giggling. ...more
Isra'a
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, توصيات
so wonderful, so faunny, i love it so much, i wish i can read more of this amazing series

i wish i am child now to let my parents read it again and again, after finish it they give me a big hug ;(
Halle Stout
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was cute, I would recommend this to my nephew who loves bears and hugs. The book is about Douglas who looking for his mother to give and receive hugs from her.
Zaz
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Poor Douglas wants a hug, so he hugs various things. It's pretty funny and the bear is really cute. I just saw that there is a series, so I've to look at the others! ...more
Cosette
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book earned me three hugs without even asking.
Emily
Nov 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
if you are trying to teach a young child consent I'd recommend avoiding this book. The premise is cute but Douglas goes around hugging other animals that are clearly uninterested and outright displeased with it. Since in my family we treach you don't have to be physically affectionate with anyone you don't want to and don't have the right to touch others without their consent, this book is a no for us. ...more
Moore, Maureen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Hugless Douglas” by David Melling is classified as juvenile fiction; targeting ages 3 to 7. This book is a good selection and charming way to teach children about being embraced and needing to be embraced. This story is a lighthearted and fun introduction to the “Douglas… picture book series. The story has vocabulary enrichment for emergent readers; the illustrations are sweet and pleasantly warm.
Dimity Powell
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
There is a gentleness to Melling's humour and perception on life that really appeals. Douglas emphasises this well. Catchy text, beguiling illustrations and a gooey heart-warming ending finished with a generous helping of how-to-hug-time. Spend time in the hug gallery and with this charming picture book series, soon. ...more
Sterlande Altidor
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable book for children. It is a fun and age appropriate book. Wonderful illustration and well written, children will love this book. This book teaches children when something goes wrong they need to tell the adult in their life about it. This book is one of the read again and again books.
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a sweet picture book about a bear who wakes up from hibernation and wants a hug. The story follows Douglas’s many attempts at finding the perfect kind of hug. It isn’t until the end of the book that we find out that Douglas is actually a young bear, and he couldn’t find the right hug because his mom hadn’t woken up yet.

- Miss Emily
Ryan
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can not get enough of the Hugless Douglas books. For the record I would never not Hug Douglas, and I’m not a hugger. He tries to find the perfect thing to hug, but a rock, a tree, and a bush won’t do it. What do you think makes the perfect hug. Good for any age and any kid.
Kim Huls
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Hugless Douglas just wants to find someone to hug, but it isn't as easy as you'd think when you're a big bear! Luckily he finds the perfect match for him to hug at the end. 😊 This is a really cute and sweet story - perfect for Kindergarten and earlier. ...more
Leigh Ann  Triplett
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for teaching children that not everyone likes to be hugged. Children could learn to ask first before giving hugs and this is a great book in order to be able to teach that. The book has great pictures and cute characters to enhance the story.
Ten_zillions
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This adorably, sweet story follows a bear who loves to give bear hugs! He goes around hugging, well, not so huggable things and other animals who really don't want a hug until he finally finds the hug he has been looking for. This story is rich with description and good vocabulary for emerging readers. It offers colorful illustrations that match the story, teaches persistence, and teaches children how to be loving from babies all the way to kindergarten.

Amy Buthelezi
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This cute story introduces superlatives- tallest, warmest, etc. It also contains various vocabulary words and rhyming phrases. It appeals to a young child's emotions, revealing the strong bond between a mother and child and the power of a good warm hug from someone you love. ...more
Chelsea
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maddy
This is a very lighthearted and sweet book. you can also teach children about seasons because Douglas just woke up from hibernation. This book has great illustrations and teaches children about how great a hug can be from someone you love.
Anita Marlin
The pictures are cute and colorful. Young children can learn words from the pictures, such as tall, bottom, top, and middle, etc. There are many action and sound words that children can learn about. It
Eileen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Poor Douglas! He wakes up from a big sleep and wants a hug. He tries everything, but everywhere he looks for one, he still can't find one that works the way it should.

The illustrations are fantastic, and there's an adorable guide to different kinds of hugs at the end.

• A Squash and a Squeeze
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • The Highway Rat
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • Room on the Broom
  • Dogs Don't Do Ballet
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • I Talk Like a River
  • Peace At Last
  • Winnie the Witch (Winnie the Witch, #1)
  • The Wild Girl

Hugless Douglas (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Don't Worry, Douglas!
  • Hugless Douglas and the Big Sleep
  • We Love You, Hugless Douglas!
  • Hugless Douglas and the Great Cake Bake
  • Happy Birthday, Hugless Douglas
  • Hello, Hugless Douglas!
  • Hugless Douglas Finds a Hug