Start by marking “Game-Based Marketing: Inspire Customer Loyalty Through Rewards, Challenges, and Contests” as Want to Read:

Harness the power of games to create extraordinary customer engagement with Game-Based Marketing. Gamification is revolutionizing the web and mobile apps.

Innovative startups like Foursquare and Swoopo, growth companies like Gilt and Groupon and established brands like United Airlines and Nike all agree: the most powerful way to create and engage a vibrant community is with
Published March 29th 2010 by Wiley (first published February 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Game-Based Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game-Based Marketing

Start your review of Game-Based Marketing: Inspire Customer Loyalty Through Rewards, Challenges, and Contests
Dean
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I wrote an extended version of this review for VentureBeat. Check it out at http://venturebeat.com

Gabe Zichermann coined the term Funware to describe the use of video game mechanics in everyday, non-game applications. It was a big idea that has now become a rallying cry for the spread of video games beyond their traditional borders into industries that seem remotely related to games.

What Zichermann, chief executive of beamME and a 12-year game industry veteran, realized was that games motivate p
Margaret Boling
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
7/29/11 ** Interesting premise and definitely relevant for the target audience of business people, advertisers, & marketers. As an educator, I read the book in light of student engagement and planning possible incentives in a classroom management plan. Though useful, I do worry about the students who are at the bottom of the point scale or leaderboard. I'll have to balance insights from this book with insights from people like Alfie Kohn who talk about ways to increase intrinsic motivation.

3/30/
Jim Shulman
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As a retired small business owner I could have really used marketing ideas like these. They are clever, innovative and hit the mark. In my retirement, I am President of a non-profit organization and will be able to apply many of the concepts in our fund-raising and promotion plans. I am particularly interested in the tips on using games to generate buzz, increase communication and help get people involved.

As a psychologist, I am also intrigued by the author's points about competitiveness, opera
Gabe Zichermann
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: interested in marketing, business, games, consumer internet
Shelves: wrote
Well, I'm biased because I wrote this book (with Joselin Linder), but I think it's a very insightful look at the games that people play every day - and how smart organizations have taken advantage of their power.

We analyze how the US Army, Chase and McDonald's have create (and harmed) communities through the power of challenges, points, rewards and leaderboards as part of a "Funware" theory.
Christian Jespersen
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having completed the two Gamification courses from Udemy (which I highly recommend) the book dud not bring too much new info. Secondly, the data in the book is quite outdated.

However, the principles and importance of using Gamification in business is more relevant than ever. Gabe writes in an easy, un - needy language which is easy to understand for everybody.

It would have been interesting with more success stories from companies that had implemented gamification.

The book has several examples o
Maria Essig
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Probably this book will be useful to my grandmother. If you have a smartphone or a credit card and you use planes to travel, more likely you know everything the author tries to surprise you with. Probably this book will be useful to my grand mom. If you have a smartphone, use plains to travel or have a credit card, more likely you know everything the author tries to surprise you with.
I was especially disappointed with the following phrase: “In fact, even though smart phones (such as the iPhone,
Linda Tapp
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed learning about the concepts of game based marketing and I'm going to go back through the book now and decide whether any of the ideas can be used in my small business (which may be especially challenging since much of my audience is not really into social media). I am also aware of the situations where I am being "gamed" myself. I am a participant in a few games and I never really thought about it that way. I don't see a bad side to this so I don't feel taken advantage of but it ...more
Sandeep
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
If you want a basic understanding of gamification then this book is alright. There's nothing in it that can't be found in the numerous articles online. The author uses the word "funware" frequently to describe gamification, which in itself is a much debated term, makes you cringe. If you really want to understand and appreciate the power of games, then I recommend you read Jane McGonigal's 'Reality Is Broken' ...more
Volkan
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
It delivers what it promises -- a systematic way of understanding game based interactions. What I needed was to learn about components of a game in order to build my own game, and I got that. IT also gives a good sketch of the characteristics of the type of people who play games (achievers, socializers, explorers, and killers.) All in all, this book is worth the while.
Esteban Mulki
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy buen libro introductorio a la temática, lo suficientemente profundo como para interiorizarse en esta tendencia. Si se logra sobrevivir al soporífero capítulo relacionado con los programas de fidelización de las líneas aéreas, encontrará una cantidad importante de casos reales complementados con sugerencias del autor de como podría haber profundizado el modelo en cada caso.
Cass
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a quick read. Topic was not mind-blowing, but given what I do for a living, that's not surprising. Great for someone who needs an intro to game mechanics and marketing to younger generations. ...more
Aaron
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good overview of how game mechanics are being used in marketing. It looks at the history of game mechanics in marketing, as well as what could be used to improve current use of game mechanics.
Jake
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of content, lots of good ideas. Not of lot of science proving the best ways to do things, but if you've read enough other resources on behavioral economics (like I have) you can tie everything together. ...more
Mike Allen
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Game changer for anyone marketing today, old marketing just doesn't work. ...more
Patrick
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I'd highly recommend watching the movie Up in the Air before reading. A lot of emphasis is put on the frequent flyer system as an example. ...more
Simone Collins
Though most of the advice from this book was pretty obvious, I got some new ideas from it and enjoyed the read.
Agata Seidel
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great book, how people are naturally programed to compete and how brands can create incentives on this notion.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing-tools
A should-read book on marketing tools for the knowledge worker, manager, executive, or entrepreneur.
Jeromy Peacock
5 stars = Yearly re-read
4 stars = Re-read eventually
3 stars = Very Good
2 stars = OK
1 stars = Pass on this one.
0 stars = Couldn't finish it.
Chris
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what I am looking for as we build out new components of our fan-based service
Dave Fleet
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth a read for the ideas it will spark, alone. On top of that, this book provides a good grounding in the fundamentals of game-based marketing.
Thefalconerswife
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting perspective for the marketer
Clarisa Doval
It would be 4, but the kindle edition is not too well edited.
Dasn0wie
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Using Gamification as a central experience to incentivize users to do the actions you want them to.
Joselin
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a must-read for anyone who wants people to buy things from them.
Bryan
Feb 03, 2016 added it
So-so, not much new here to those already versed in gamification. For a newbie, though, this could provide a reasonable basis.
Otis Chandler
Mar 31, 2010 marked it as to-read
Dean Takahashi liked it...
Ariel Dagan
Oct 08, 2013
Mischa
rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2014
Adnan Ali
Nov 25, 2010 rated it liked it
It's a good intro. More geared towards high-level executives (probably a 4-star for 'em). ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction
  • It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • An Odyssey: A Father, a Son, and an Epic
  • The Intention Economy: When Customers Take Charge
  • Startup Lessons Learned: Season One 2008 - 2009
  • Branding: In Five and a Half Steps
  • Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked
  • Healthy Brain, Happy Life
  • The Third Way: Foundations of Distributism as Contained in the Writings of Pope Leo XIII and Gilbert K. Chesterton
  • How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius
  • The Art of Taking Action: Lessons from Japanese Psychology
  • Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter
  • Barking Up the Wrong Tree: The Surprising Science Behind Why Everything You Know About Success Is (Mostly) Wrong
  • Food