Start by marking “Genghis: Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)” as Want to Read:
Genghis: Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)

Genghis: Bones of the Hills (Conqueror #3)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  12,982 Ratings  ·  388 Reviews
From the author of the bestselling The Dangerous Book for Boys

From Conn Iggulden, #1 bestselling author of six historical epics and coauthor of the international sensation The Dangerous Book for Boys, comes a magnificent new work of fiction. Here, the Mongol conqueror Genghis Khan, stalked by enemies seen and unseen and plagued by a divided family, leads a sprawling forc
Published July 13th 2010 by Bantam (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Genghis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genghis

Mizuki
My review for the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
My review of the second book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Note: according to the author, The Conqueror series is heavily inspired by The Secret History of the Mongols. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sec...)

Damn! The more I read, the more I feel this Secret History of the Mongols is pretty much like a tabloid, with so much more juicy dramas than the other historical texts such as the History of the Yuan Dynasty!
Dan Schwent
Feb 26, 2010 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Genghis Khan had nearly broken the Chin under his rule when an Arabian city refuses tribue, leading to conflict with Shah Ala-ud-Din Mohammed. Has the Khan finally earned the ire of even an enemy he can't defeat...

The concluding volume of The Conqueror trilogy did not disappoint. The rivalry among Genghis's sons Jochi and Chagatai reaches it's conclusion. Genghis names his heir. City after city fall before the might of the Khan.

The Khan's Arabian enemies are depicted as more formidable than any
Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer

Good but not Great - 3 Stars

This third book which wraps up the Genghis Khan Trilogy/Story Arc, left me feeling a bit disappointed. Having been wowed by the first two books in the series, I went into this one expecting the same level of excitement, battle and intrigue. What I got was watered down version of the first two. To be honest, I believe much of disappointment stemmed from the fact that, unlike the first two, I listened to this one in the audio format. T
Vagner Stefanello
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Essa resenha contém alguns spoilers do final desse livro e também dos livros anteriores.

Após devastar boa parte do território chinês, Genghis Khan mira suas atenções mais ao sul e ao oeste, onde a maioria dos povos islâmicos/muçulmanos estão. Tudo começou com a morte de patrulheiros enviados por Genghis a terras distantes. Com a sua morte, o líder mongol não pode deixar essa ameaça de lado e precisará reunir todas as forças para marchar contra o novo
Nate
Nov 19, 2014 Nate rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-ages, owned
The tribes are united under the horsehair banner, the Jin and Xi Xia have been thoroughly smashed and their ancient suppression and subversion of the Mongols avenged, and now it's time for the newly-born Nation to relax and discover its true identity--tent-dwelling, nomadic steppe dwellers or city-ruling urban conquerors--or perhaps a mix of both.

"NO FUCK THAT! THE SHAH JUST INSULTED ME BY KILLING A GROUP OF MY SCOUTS! WE RIDE!"

-Genghis Khan

That's right; Bones of the Hills is much like the previ
لونا
أعظم سعادة قد يعرفها الإنسان هي أن يقهر أعداءة ويقودهم أمامه. وأن يمتطي جيادهم، ويستولي على ممتلكاتهم، وأن يشاهد وجوه أولئك الذين كانوا عزيزين عليهم تتبلل بالدموع، وأن يحتضن زوجاتهم وبناتهم بين ذراعيه...جنكيز خان

المغول شعب لا يرضى العيش في مكان واحد الترحال الدائم هو الحال الطبيعي لهم للبحث عن المراعي للقطعان .. .. غذاؤهم الرئيسي اللحم وشرب الدماء المخلوطة بالحليب .. .. قذرين بكل ما تحمل الكلمة من معنى (آسفة لقول هذا) .. .. يعشقون البرد، هم في أفضل حالاتهم ويقاتلون بفعالية أكثر في مثل هذا الجو .
David Sven
Feb 16, 2014 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book sees Genghis Khan and his Mongol Horde encounter the Islamic world. Again, we see a lot of the large set piece battles fleshed out in detail as the Mongols contend with disciplined armies, elephants, and fanatical assassins, often facing numbers two to three times their own. Again, the Mongol ability to shoot unerringly from horseback at full gallop whether charging or retreating was key to their success.

One of the ironies that stands out to me, is that for all the hype surrounding the
Sith Lancerlot
Mar 14, 2014 Sith Lancerlot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: تاريخ, أدب
عظام على الهضاب

قراءة مؤلمة لرواية رائعة.

هذا الجزء أفضل من الجزء السابق من ناحية الأحداث و الأكثر أهمية بالنسبة لي لأنه يشمل ما حدث للممالك الإسلامية في آسيا الوسطى.

الكتاب هذا لا يؤخذ كتوثيق تاريخي للأحداث فالكاتب قام بتغيير بعض الأحداث حتى تكون الرواية سينمائية لكن ما ألاحظه هو تهميش المسلمين لدى الكتاب الأجنبيون.

الحشاشون في هذه الرواية تم تهميشهم بدرجة كبيرة مع الرعب الذي أوقعوه في زمنهم و كأن الكاتب لا يريد تأخير جنكيز عن إحراق المدن.

ما أحزنني هو لماذا لا أرى روايات تاريخية تكتب من قبلنا؟ هل ت
Terri
May 10, 2009 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I went from really liking this book to only 'liking it' from approximately halfway on. I feel odd about that because the previous two books in this series did float my boat, so to speak, especially the one that went before this one, Lords of the Bow. That was a fabulous read.

This is the book that should have been my favourite in the series. Ghengis Khan invades the Middle East and the Muslim nations rise up against him. With failures and successes on both sides.
There are periods of history cover
Tammy
May 02, 2017 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conn Iggulden has the talent for blending history with exceptional story telling. If Bernard Cornwell is the king of this genre, this man may just be the crown prince.
Lance Greenfield
This is great writing. It is what historical fiction is all about and is why this is my favourite genre. I really wish that I could write like this.

Conn Iggulden excels at bringing the characters and the events to life. It is fast and furious. It is captivating. It is heavily atmospheric. Well done Mr Iggulden; again!

As Ghengis recalls his armies from Chin and other distant outposts so that his united Mongol forces can wage more terror towards the south and west, huge rivalries brew up and appr
Rhonda
Aug 10, 2016 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Excellent book, excellent author. 5+++ stars!
Courtney
Jul 15, 2016 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this way more than Lords of the Bow. So far this is my favourite of the series.

Why did I like it more? There was definitely less of Temuge and Kokchu, neither of which I particularly liked in the previous book. Kokchu was too simplistic a character in my opinion, and Temuge annoyed me whenever he came up. Both are in this book, but they are way more tolerable here.

The battle scenes, while written in the same style as Lords of the Bow, seemed to draw me in a lot more as well. And although

Lisa
The last part of Genghis' story, I'm kind of glad that he died when he did as I'd continued to find this series a wee bit samey. So many sieges, so many arrows, and so many massacres meant that regardless of who was on the receiving end, I'd started to feel that I'd read it all before.

In this, Genghis continues to kick the shit out of any nation that so much as looks at him funny, while still finding time to be a dick to his kids. He also meets a new enemy that might just be as formidable as he
أوراق
Mar 29, 2015 أوراق rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كان جزءا رااائعا ومروعا!! تفوق على سابقه .
. تجلى بطش جنكيز في هذا الجزء كما لم يكن من قبل .. واستحق لقب السفاح بجدارة .. لم يكونوا يقاتلون من أجل قضية ما .. ليس من أجل دين ولا مذهب .. فقط من أجل الانتصار و إثبات الذات ..للأسف كانوا يعيشون مثل الحيوانات بالفعل .. كقطعان وزعيم كل قطيع يسعى ليثبت سيطرته أمام الجميع ليضمن عدم المساس به
تضاعفت جيوش جنكيز و كبرت أمته و اكتسبت خبرة أكثر في الحروب خاصة مع انضمام أناس من حضارات أخرى إليهم .. وبرز ذكاؤه من خلال تكتيكاته الحربية التي كانت تؤتي أكلهاوبراعته
Alexa Ayana
Nov 09, 2015 Alexa Ayana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ke-3 dari seri the conqueror ini masih seseru buku 1-2 walau tidak memberikan perasaan WOW.

Pertama, GK mulai merambah area baru dan menemukan penantang-penantang baru yang kuat. Bangsa Rusia dan Arab. Kalau di buku 1-2 kita dimanjakan dengan betapa menakjubkannya gaya perang bangsa Mongol, di buku ini kita akan melihat bagaimana uletnya mereka saat menghadapi lawan yang sangat gigih, dengan jumlah pasukan 4x lbh banyak dan pertahanan yang lebih kuat. Bisa di bilang 1 buku ini menceritakan 2
Graham
Aug 05, 2013 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, war, asia
The third instalment of Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series and the final part of his Genghis trilogy. Having finished - for the moment - conquering northern China, Genghis takes his armies west to invade the Middle East.

Once again, Iggulden delivers an incredibly readable novel of historical warfare. The story is action-packed with inventive and fluidly-written battle sequences, each different from the last. There are no repetitive scenarios here; instead, the author strives to deliver something d
فهد الفهد
عظام على الهضاب

انتهيت منها البارحة، وها أنا اكتب مراجعتي لها مباشرة على الشبكة.

الرواية عظيمة، بل السلسلة ذاتها مذهلة، 1500 صفحة تقريبا ً، ثلاثة أجزاء حتى الآن تناولت بناء الأمة المغولية على يد جنكيز خان، الذي عاش حياته محاربا ً، ومات على صهوة جواده بعدما قتل ما يفوق المليون إنسان، روع الممالك والمدن في الصين، كزي كزيا - أو هسي هسيا -، خوارزم، أفغانستان، كل آسيا الوسطى وقعت في يديه الغليظتين، ووطئها رجاله الشرسون.

هذا الجزء كان أكثر ارتباطا ً بي، لأنه وصل إلى أول صدام بين المسلمين والمغول، عندما ق
Mohamed
Mar 14, 2017 Mohamed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
في هذا الجزء يحارب جنكيز خان الشاه علاء الدين محمد لعدم دفع حاكم حصن اطرار أنالشوك دفع الجزية و قتل رسله الثلاثه
في هذا الجزء تتجلى دموية جنكيز خان حيث اباد مئات الالاف من المسلمين في بضعة ساعات و حرق مئات الحصون و القلاع باهلها
في هذا الجزء ايضا تتجلى مدى عبقرية جنكيز في ادارة الحرب حيث قضى على جيش يفوقه اربعة اضعاف و مدي حنكته في اختيار قادته
في هذا الجزء يظهر مدى استهتار الشاه علاء الدين بحياة جنوده الذين يموتون في الدفاع عنه
في هذا الجزء يقضي جنكيز خان على الحشاشين لتعرضه لمحاولة قتل على ايديه
Nitin Arora
Apr 30, 2014 Nitin Arora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Assuming that this book is more fiction than fact, 4 stars seem justified; but there are simply too many historical inaccuracies, especially towards the end. Some parts of the story are too rushed and the author seemed to have twisted some historical facts more than necessary. The author could have done Genghis justice by not rushing the last part of the book, but could have rather added some more pages to explain the details a little better.

Apart from the above points, the story is just brillia
Jeffrey Rasley
I am loving Iggulden's Genghis series. He doesn't sugar coat the brutality of Genghis or the Mongols. He brings them to life so the reader cares about the characters, despite their very different ethics from ours and despite their lack of regard for the lives of those not within the family. The narrative moves at a rapid clip, but sweeps across the continent of Asia and a generation.

However, this 3d book in the series continues a trend toward the great man approach to history. It has less to off
Barry
Oct 11, 2016 Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could repeat all of the stuff that I mentioned in my reviews of the first two books in this five volume set, but being a man of restraint and being extremely lazy, I will refrain from doing so.

This volume covers much of the time that Khan and the Mongols were in the Middle East and, in the end.... well, that would be telling. I will, however, say that I found myself rooting for the Mongols, as if my support could change the course of history.

Great read. At some point, I will read #4 and #5. I
Christy
Feb 04, 2011 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-2011
Dear Genghis Khan,

You were so cool and you utterly fascinated me for two months in a row in a way that few have. You were like that perfect guy people always say you will meet when you least expect it--you hit me like a ton of bricks and I totally fell for you. I loved reading all about you and I was so, so sad when you died. I tried to read about your sons, but alas, they were quite boring.

Christy

Mohamad Dahrouj
هذا الجزء هو أسوأ الآجزاء حيث تجلت دموية جنكيز خان واضحة من خلال تدمير المدن الاسلامية وقتل عشرات الآلاف منهم مرات كثيرة توقفت عن المتابعة بسبب الألم الذي يصيبني وانا اقرأ ما حدث للمسلمين وعائلاتهم . يشهد هذا الجزء أيضاً مقتل جوشي الابن الاول لجنكيز خان الذي تمرد على والده بسبب سوء معاملته له لكن جنكيز ارسل ابرز قائد عنده وهو تسوبودي ليقتل ابنه غيلة .
وفي هذا الجزء أيضاً يقتل جنكيز على يد زوجته لانه أراد تدمير مدينة والدها الصينينة .
John Gwynne
Dec 08, 2011 John Gwynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another cracking read from Mr Iggulden. Loved the characterisation and drama between Ghengis Khan's sons. A driving pace, a host of great characters brought to life and, of course, some seriously epic battles! Wonderful stuff.
Radiah
Mar 25, 2017 Radiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was slightly disappointed with this one. Lords of the Bow was a great read, this one was a little bit of a downer, especially the taking of the Assassin's fortress in Iran and the event at the end seemed a little anti-climactic. It felt a little rushed and was inaccurate in a few ways. The writer lumped all the nations of the Middle East under the category of Arab, when clearly they were of different ethnicities; merely bound by a common faith. Perhaps to make it easy for the reader to digest. ...more
Almir Olovcic
Mar 12, 2017 Almir Olovcic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me some time to read this book, mostly because, and that s my personal opinion, this part of the series should be at least 100 pages shorter. It was too long and compared to the Emperor series, this one really takes a lot of nerves for me to be focused on reading.
Brian Turner
Feb 27, 2017 Brian Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd book in Conn Iggulden’s Conqueror series about Genghis Khan, and a fantastic novel.
Partly because Genghis is more of a character in his own books again; partly because the tensions we’ve seen built up in the previous two books reach some conclusion; and partly because the Mongols spread east into the lands of Islam, which is an area I’ve long held an interest in.

Not having really known anything about the Mongols before reading these books, it’s been fascinating to see how Conn Iggulden
عائشة عبد الله
May 13, 2017 عائشة عبد الله rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
نهاية هذا الجزء عظيمة جدا، هذا الرجل عظيم، أتمنى لو أستطيع معرفة المحرك الرئيسي له، بما أنه لايبني المدن ولا يطمح لتوسعة نفوذ ولا للذهب !
هل كان الانتقام؟ هل تستمر الرغبة بالانتقام لعمر بأكمله؟
David Stringer
This is the third instalment in Conn Iggulden's Genghis Khans Conqueror series, and I admit to have somehow many moons ago when collecting them all in Hardback, I seemed to have missed the second one out. But having recently finished the first book felt that I would stay/stick with characters and see what happens next.

And I enjoyed, as always up to now, Iggulden's writing which I can only explain or define as smooth, slick and easy flowing. You can get swept along with it like a nice flowing riv
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 14 Nov 01, 2015 01:53AM
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • The Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2)
119121
Also publishes under author name - C.F. Iggulden.

I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in
More about Conn Iggulden...

Conqueror (5 books)
  • Genghis: Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1)
  • Genghis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)
  • Khan: Empire of Silver (Conqueror, #4)
  • Conqueror (Conqueror, #5)

“Know the enemy and you will know how to kill him.” 6 likes
“The point of war is to win, Kachiun. It does not matter how we do it, or how long it takes.” 5 likes