Start by marking “Azazeel ” as Want to Read:
Azazeel

Azazeel

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  44,697 ratings  ·  5,076 reviews
In this haunting and controversial English-language debut, Youssef Ziedan confronts issues as vital today as they were one and a half millennia ago.

Set in the 5th century AD, Azazeel is the exquisitely crafted tale of a Coptic monk's journey from Upper Egypt to Alexandria and then Syria during a time of massive upheaval in the early Church. The monk, Hypa, embarks on a jou
Published April 2012 by Atlantic Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Azazeel, please sign up.
Huda Aweys فعلا اوافقك الرأي تماما .. فهي لم تصل لعتبة فلسفية او روحية ، هي فقط تدور حول الغريزة و التحرر من المسئولية و الهروب من الحقيقه .. و تمجد كل هذا و…moreفعلا اوافقك الرأي تماما .. فهي لم تصل لعتبة فلسفية او روحية ، هي فقط تدور حول الغريزة و التحرر من المسئولية و الهروب من الحقيقه .. و تمجد كل هذا و تسبل عليه ثوب من العقلانية و التحرر و الشجاعه ! هـ(less)
محمد جمال إسماعيل لا ليست ترجمه لمخطوطات حقيقية والكاتب اجاب عن سؤال مماثل واجابته موجوده على اليوتيوب

·  44,697 ratings  ·  5,076 reviews

Jibran
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, arabic
“The nature of Christ is the essence of our religion, and that essence is subtle and problematic, and potends schism and discord.”

Modern Arabic novel is often criticised for being too political, and in many cases nothing more than a platform for writers to repackage contemporary war troubles in Arab countries into a kind of fictional reportage designed for quick consumption, forgotten as soon as the next big thing happens and is taken up. I share this criticism to the extent when artistic leve
Huda Aweys
25\8\2013
First,Everyone knows the story of Hypatia and we did not need the definition of those ! ,
searching for the right or the truth was not the case of\or the problem of the protagonist of this story any day :) ! , he was always going to run away from the face !, so I do not know what the secret behind the interpretation this journey as a spiritual journey, or even as a mental and philosophical journey :) !..
*****
عزازيل
هي روايه فعلا اولى بعزازيل :)
بطل جبان .. خاف يفكر خاف يبحث .. استسهل فهرب
Nancy Oakes
After a shaky start and then a couple of hours of research prompting a restart, this book turned out to be an amazing read. And those of you who marked this book as "fantasy" may be disappointed to discover that it is nothing of the sort. It's a work of historical fiction, narrated by a fictional fifth-century monk during a time of crisis for the early Catholic church. And quite frankly, in light of what's happening in our world today, it is a very timely read. You can read more at my reading j ...more
Mahmoud Ghoz
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the book, I don't see why people don't like what inside the book. It is all about history. I don't like the sex parts in the books that's why I recommend it for people who are above 18 and they should be married.
Sana Abdulla
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Azazel By Youssef Zeidan-Winner of the International prize for Arabic fiction 2009, this novel caused a lot of controversy as is always the case when an author writes about a faith he doesn't belong to, it follows the life of the Egyptian monk Hypa from place to place all over Egypt and Palestine in a period of great turmoil for the church, and his own turmoil with his human shortcomings and clerical role.I found the novel slightly tedious at times because I'm not a great lover of history and my ...more
Eman
To my friends who don't speak Arabic:
Azazeel by Youssef Ziedan, a fictional novel intersected with real historical events and characters, where the narrator is an anonymous translator. He leaves a will that his translation work must be published after his death. The translation is on Syriac chronicles written by an Egyptian monk/physician called Hypa who started writing them in 431 AD. Hypa constantly accuses Azazeel (the devil) of making him write down his adventures and recall his painful me
Calzean
It took me a while to get into this book, the first part is a bit slow and I couldn't feel aligned with the author's (or translator) rhythm. But I am glad I persevered because this book brings to life the early divisions of the Christian churches in the East and West which influenced the way Christianity was then practiced.
The time is in the 430ADs. The narrator Hypa is a naive Egyptian monk who is well read, has medical training. He seeks a peaceful life and truth in religion. He experiences fi
Marta
Azazeel is the kind of historical fiction that I love but find so rarely: a story set during a time of upheaval, a long gone era and place we do not know much about; and it is also a human story of faith and doubt, of the nature of good and evil, of love and devotion; with the ultimate message that fanatism of any kind is evil. "Killing people in the name of religion does not make it religious."

Hypa, our 5th century Egyptian Coptic monk is a devout Christian, yet also a sensitive man who cannot
Radwa
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so surprised with the ending, very open, didn't know what happened. It's just spoiled the whole book for me.
Mark Staniforth
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Azazeel by Youssef Ziedan, which won the International Prize for Arabic Fiction in 2009 and has been newly translated into English by Jonathan Wright for Atlantic Books, is a sexy, gory, fiery, thought-provoking masterpiece.
Its impact stretches far beyond the desert lands of sixth century Egypt and Syria in which it is set, and raises, brilliantly, fundamental questions about the role of religion in societies both ancient and modern: about its corrupting influence, its myriad hypocrisies, its th
Yomna
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It certainly isn't a typical book. I'm used to reading books with tailored plots and explicitly jammed up events, but this one was simply the record of the life of a monk suffering from contradictory thoughts. If I call his thoughts contradictory I might be humiliating him because the state of confusion roaming around Hypa was nothing close to mediocre. He had his own reservations about his religion, Christianity, due to all the action taking place around him. He didn't know what's true and what ...more
Marvin
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
What an unusual, if not unique, premise for a contemporary novel! In the first third of the 5th century, an intellectually curious, troubled Christian monk/physician/poet travels from his native Upper Egypt to Alexandria, then to Jerusalem (where he meets and becomes intimate friends with Nestorius before he becomes bishop of Constantinople) before settling in a monastery near Aleppo. The Nestorian controversy serves as a backdrop for the story, but the monk narrates his adventures as an intimat ...more
Pino
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting topic. The book made my Sunday lighter despite its topics " religions conflicts". Usually isn't light or cheerful subject to contemplate.

Following the life story of Hiba and the relationships with women in his life , the writer revealed the controversy of Christianity around 340 A.C: Origin , relationship with other religions , sciences , common people , people in power and how politics shapes the course of any religion or the other way around.

In different readings I came across cha
Loveena
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Loveena by: Moaz
Currently on scroll nine - Hypatia's entered.

I'll reserve my review till I finish this book ...

Why can't GoodReads & Kobo amalgamate or have a partnership ... *pretty please*

Done. And this is what I have to say:

Interesting.

It was slow paced, yet interesting. I looked more into the story line and not the way it was written. The theme. The message.

All I have to say is: One needs to have a really strong mind to read it & file it under - Read, now let me move on with my faith to guide me
Zeina
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a BEAUTIFUL, controversial, complex record genius-ly translated and put together. I think the many, unnecessary details and pages of internal conflicts is what makes it intriguing, specially when you know it's written thousands of years ago, and when you discover that a human, with all his feelings and struggles, is the same, no matter what era he's born in. It's written by a poet, so nothing can go too wrong, and the way he describes his love to Marta or how charmed he was by Octavia made ...more
Mohamed
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good novel, that opens your mind to search more about the history of the early Christianity.
Ganna Adel
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
that is a man who knows how to make literature out of history .. magical words and phrase, true feelings and neutral.
Imran
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Revolving around the controversial theological debate in Christianity about trinity and status of Jesus as a 'God' or a 'Human', this novel translated from Arabic covers the struggles and problems humans have to face for their differing opinions and faiths in an intolerant society.

I did know that Islam's point of view on trinity is closer to Nestorian branch of Christianity. This book provides a detailed account of Nestorian theology.

Somy
I wanna kill everyone who told me that was a good book. I couldn't comopete it
Nightary
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arabian

Yet another story from an Arab writer with a melancholic ending, where the characters are extremely worn out of life & existing <3
Irénie
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact that some historical events and Christian beliefs were manipulated and not presented accurately, the novel expresses the human soul's longing to a poweful God with both the doubts and beliefs, the heart's weakness when tempted, the ambitious journey for a better self, the search for belonging (by being part of a community, following philosophers and thinkers, mastering some art or science, or by simply falling in love) .. Azazil exposes the rebellious mind to challenge the commo ...more
Sara El-Kady
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder how novel writers can create whole worlds like that!
Really interesting novel, I would have never knew these details about a Monk's life and the arguments inside churches in the past history ... tho this is not a real sufficient reference to know the whole story, yet I really enjoyed knowing more about it.
Truly loved the enchanted prayers, really heart felt, well said words .. Youssed Zidan style is just amazing with words.
Lindsay
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've never read fiction from this historical period and now want to read more. Hypa is an engrossing, relatable character, and his stories are moving. His accounts of his liaisons with love and the death of Hypatia especially are so painful. Reading his descriptions of doubt and conversations with Azazeel were so poignant. I loved this book.
Sivananthi T
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. The subject matter is fascinating as the protagonist is a monk in the early church period of Alexandria vs Antioch; the life he leads, his temptations and the questions and doubts those who are religious often have. The nature of good and evil; organised religion and its politics; are all themes inter-woven in this.
Manasvi mudgal
I don't know why it is so acclaimed, it was boring, very bland, almost like i was eating boiled rice without anything to add flavour to it. I understand why the book might have been loved, but it was not for me. Won't recommend it to anyone. It was meh.
Barbara Benini
Sep 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most boring novels I have ever read. Most of the time you are following streams of thoughts belonging to the main character, Ipa, which are just a pretext for the author to show off his encyclopedic knowledge of the subject, so for the story itself they are not fundamental.
Abdulrhman Eaita
what can i say !
i learned a lot , about Christians history , about ppl who plays in the name of god!

i loved hyba , and how he made mistakes and returns .

gonna give the book to a close friend of mine .

i advice u to read it :)
Rana Sobhy
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just finished reading the book and i loved it so much. So BEAUTIFUL i didn't want it to end i wanted it to go on forever it's absolutely divine !! He describes everything so well ! You feel as if you are right there. So brilliant !
Walaa
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
Best in the last 5 Years ... this is my 4th time to read ... really a master piece... I recommend to complete the reading with viewing the movie "Agora"... to know more about the famous female philosophy and mathematics professor Hypatia of Alexandria.

Thana
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have decided that it is worth re-reading although i have not reached the end yet. For me, it is rare to find such a well written book by an arab author, i love it and i think it is one of the best arabic books i have ever read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• مولانا
  • ما فعله العيان بالميت
  • قرية ظالمة
(Arabic: يوسف زيدان)

Director of the Manuscript Center/Museum, the Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
Professor of Philosophy and History of Science.

Awards and Grants:
- 2009 International Prize for Arabic Fiction (IPAF) In Association with the Booker Prize Foundation
- Imam Muhammad Madi Abul-‘Aza’im Award in the field of Islamic studies in 1995.
- ‘Abdul-Hamid Shuman Prize in the field of social studies in 199
“ اكتب يا هيبا ، فمن يكتب لن يموت أبداً” 1433 likes
“لا يوجد في العالم أسمى من دفع الآلام عن انسان لايستطيع التعبير عن ألمه” 1160 likes