Start by marking “The Chosen One (Maggie Costello, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Chosen One (Maggie Costello, #2)

The Chosen One

(Maggie Costello #2)

In the game of Washington politics, the stakes are as high as they get - and not everyone is prepared to play by the rules... Newly-elected US President Stephen Baker is flying high after signing a popular bill giving new rights to victims of domestic violence. But in Vic Forbes he has a ruthless enemy who is in possession of a crucial piece of knowledge that could destroy ...more
Published May 27th 2010 (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Chosen One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chosen One

Start your review of The Chosen One (Maggie Costello, #2)
Yuliya
Dec 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
I didn`t enjoy it nearly as much as Sam Bourne's other books. The plot was ok, but the explanation was quite simple and unimaginative. Also, the author repeats the same thing a lot, like introducing a Secret Service agent Zoe Galfano not one, but three times, using almost the same words! (Example below). Seriously, does the author think the readers are too stupid to retain new information or did he have a bad editor, or is he simply padding the book?
p.16 "and into the hands of a
Wan Ni
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Run of the mill thriller predicating on a conspiracy of the rise to grace of the American president. Not at all surprising, and filled with Mary Sue characters.
Lucy Ette
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
After reading some of Sam Bourne's other books and really enjoying them, I couldn't wait to start this one. However, I found it to be slow starting, with a focus on description of characters and their history rather than creating the suspense that the storyline really desired.

In the end I stopped reading it, partly because I had to return it to the library but I also couldn't make myself read any more of it. What I loved about his other books, 'The Final Reckoning' for example was that the
The Humpo Show [ Richard ]
Newly-elected US President Stephen Baker hopes to shape the United States and the world with his progressive politics, but when a series of scandalous revelations come tolight, his presidency looks set to be one the shortest in history. He enlists his trusted advisor and friend Maggie Costello, to find out the source of these 'revelations' and to help stop any more damage to his presidency.

The Chosen One is a departure from the previous Bourne books that I have read thus far. There is a distinct
SierraKiloBravo
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Link to my review: https://sierrakilobravo.wordpress.com...

These holidays I have slowly been coming to the end of a few of the books that I have had on the go for the last little while. I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to books, and at one stage in the last couple of weeks, I was reading four all at once. There is one less on the pile now though, The Chosen One by Sam Bourne.

I have read a few books by Sam Bourne now, and seem to come away from each feeling exactly the same – easy to
Rinke
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this one up a little while ago in a second hand book store. and after reading the excerpt it got me curious and I am glad I gave it a chance.

Being the big Dan Brown fan that I am. I was a bit skeptic about the whole better than stuff on the cover. But after reading I can honestly say that in my opinion it is a great book but not better than the Dan Brown series.

Why? It really is in the little things: The pacing in the first 100-150 pages is a little slow (it picks up later) and
John
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's OK.

I've read the other two in the Maggie Costello series, the one about the president was OK, the one about Jerusalem was a bit shit, so I thought I'd finish the trilogy ... and I quite fancy Maggie Costello, and I like and admire Jonathan Freedland, so there you go.

It's a straightforward linear thriller, based around American politics, that isn't particularly tense or thrilling, but isn't that bad either.

There were times I put it down, a bit bored, conscious that the entire thing was made
Diana Febry
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings on this book. It is well constructed, with intrigue and suspense plus I eventually liked the central character Maggie (didn't love her!).
However, I felt the story took ages to get going and I very nearly abandoned the read. It also seemed to get very bogged down in the procedures of the nomination through to election of American Presidents and the day to day workings of The White House. The big stumbling block was the idea that the President relied on one unqualified Irish member
Tom Henry
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
America has hope in the form of a charismatic, new President, who appears to be the genuine article. No sooner has he begun his term in office than it begins to unravel. Where did President Stephen Baker actually come from and what does he really stand for? The odds are stacked against Maggie Costello finding out.
David Meldrum
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Another from the headlines Sam Bourne thriller, imagining a concerted effort to bring down a new, Obama-like President. It's never dull, frequently gripping, though the final reveals do seem to be heading towards tin-foil hat type conspiracy theories. That it never quite goes over that precipice is a testament to the author's adept plotting.
Neil
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 2010 political conspiracy thriller that has proven eerily prescient. Well-crafted and better written than Dan Brown’s preposterous bestsellers, this is an undemanding but entertaining poolside entertainment
Sri Peketi
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Never read a political drama. Loved it!
It was awesome to read such a thriller and drama.
Kate Bucci
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-2018
Keeping me amused in hospital

Good but quite complex and stretched my disbelief a long way! An enjoyable read and will check out his others
Ben Pashkoff
Struggled to get to a 3 star - trite, befuddled and what? a conspiracy theory novel gone sideways.....
DC Vairavel
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Boring and uninteresting plot
Nameeta
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a 3.5 star thriller.
The story is very fast paced and towards the end its hard to keep the book down. In the beginning one is left wondering if this is all just a big cover up by the President. Maggie tasked with discovering the truth finds her self in too deep before she realises it. The plot unravels nicely and the ending ties up the whole story.
These sort of political thrillers always make me wonder if there is really so much intrigue and scandal surrounding the White House. (Obama
Senthamilselvan Thirunavukkarasu
I have read in a blog that Sam Bourne’s writing are like Dan brown’s. Though the writing was not up to the expectation, he did his part. This story revolves around the conspiracies to remove the newly elected president from his office. The person who claimed to expose the dark sides of the president is mysteriously dead, the reason stated as suicide. But in order to find out the truths, the president sends his most trustable office staff, the protagonist, an Irish Maggie Costello. Having already ...more
Merril Anil
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
It’s a Sam Bourne with less charm

The book made me realize why I love Sam Bourne as an author and why I can go for his works blindly at any given day. The book has a good plot and the usual research and intrigue of a Sam Bourne novel but even though not disappointing, I would not say it is his best work.

The Book has the characters of his previous novel, The Last testament being continued on and though it does not hamper your experience as a first time reader, reading the last testament (which
Rohit Jangid
Well to start with it wasn't a chosen book rather one that fumbled into my lap .I saw this collection of four stories provided as a complement by Readers Digest and my fetish for hardbound books turned on and I jumped right on it.The Chosen one by Sam Bourne is definitely a thriller holding you from the first few pages and not letting off the rabbit till the final few pages.Since I read a 140 page version of it(sorry I didn't googled and thought this was a full version) ,the story came out as a ...more
Matt
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Bourne, this time taking us away from the biblical (or religious) happenings and delving right into the politics. How can a man who has become POTUS, the ever-successful underdog, make his way to the top? What happens when some guy starts spilling secrets that could derail a presidency not yet counted in triple digit days? Bourne touches on those and how there is always someone working 'behind the curtain', demanding that no one peer back to see.

While it took me longer
Ramla
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
To be honest this book has disappointed me. From the reviews on the cover I expected this book to have lot more than what it actually did.

Maggie Costello finds herself in life-threatening danger in trying to save the crumbling presidency of Stephan Baker the President of US she believes has the power to change the world.

In the starting the book is a real page-turner and you expect to be blown off your feet when the mystery finally unfolds but unfortunately that really does not happen. The
Charlotte
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
After reading the prologue, I thought it was worth reading, unfortunately, the genre was totally not my type. Should have read the blurb on the back of the book more carefully. It's totally about politics, conspiracy and crime. Crime is something I read when the mood strikes.

The book cover claims that it's an easier read than Dan Brown's which I feel is an unfair comparison. Dan Brown's books have a lot of research done before being written and publish. This book was or rather felt that it was
Kirsten
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what kind of story this book was about when I started reading it. I knew I wanted to read this one because I did quite enjoy Bourne's previous books. It was nice to see Maggie Costello back, and the character of Stephen Baker was ... well, he was the all-american president-extraordinaire. You HAD to like him. Either way. It was a good read even if it appears that maybe, just maybe some of the potential in the story was not used. I dont know, this kind of conspiracy offers more... ...more
Henningw
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. So much, that I was unable to put it down. Maggie Costello from "The last testament" played the main role in this one. This time the story is about a personal attack with a series of allegations being made on the US president. Maggies duty is to invetigate/uncover who is behind it all.The story is interesting right from the start and the intensity remains at a high level throughout the entire book. To be honest,the end seemed a bit far fetched, but the book is ...more
Cksmith
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I admit the main reason I picked it up is because I am a Harry Potter fan and couldn't resist a book called the Chosen One however I knew it would be nothing like it. Maggie Costello is without a doubt my favourite main character who is female in any book/ movie I've ever read! It's well written, exciting and full of surprises. Because of this book, Sam Bourne is one of my favourite authors!
Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews
I finished this book in a week. It was rather engaging and interesting. Mind you, not the best book I've ever read, but it was entertaining. The character had some development and it was fast-paced. I also liked the ending. So if you are looking for an interesting story and are not terribly squeamish, this is a good book. Even if it wasn't that special for me.
Rohini Didar
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
the book was ok.. not great... the reason why bought the book was it was compared with Dan Brown's writing. May be because of that i did not like the book so much. The story was ok but it seemed very lengthy...
Joe Stamber
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2010
I bought this after mistakenly thinking that I had enjoyed a previous SB book more than I actually did. It's a moderately entertaining tale about a woman who is investigating a plot to bring down the newly elected president.
Ashok
Jun 25, 2012 added it
I picked this one to try a new author, and found the begining to be slow. But then it picks pace and shuttles you between both Washingtons, - a City and the state, and was a good read. Guess I will try more of his books now.
Jim
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I like Sam Bourne's books, they do what it says on the tin. This one has Maggie Costello as hero again, in some implausible employment with the US government, and there's some great short chapter suspense stuff that kicks the crap out of Dan Brown for my money.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)
  • The Secret Crown (Payne & Jones, #6)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Genesis Secret
  • Six Suspects
  • Valley of Death (Ben Hope, #19)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • Empire of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • Immortal (Ethan Warner #2)
  • Bad Blood (Alexandra Cooper, #9)
  • Newton's Fire
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • Sign of the Cross (Payne & Jones, #2)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Key (Sancti Trilogy #2)
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • The Rebel’s Revenge (Ben Hope #18)
Sam Bourne is the literary pseudonym of Jonathan Freedland, an award-winning British journalist and broadcaster. He has written a weekly column for The Guardian since 1997, having previously served as the paper's Washington correspondent. His work has also appeared in The New York Times, The New York Review of Books, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Newsweek, The New Republic, and The ...more

Maggie Costello (4 books)
  • The Last Testament (Maggie Costello, #1)
  • To Kill the President (Maggie Costello, #3)
  • To Kill the Truth (Maggie Costello, #4)