Start by marking “The Manchurian Candidate” as Want to Read:
The Manchurian Candidate

The Manchurian Candidate

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
As Greil Marcus reconstructs the drama, "The Manchurian Candidate" is a movie in which the director and actors were suddenly capable of anything, beyond any expectations. This book shows how the film has burrowed into American culture.
Published September 26th 2002 by British Film Institute (first published September 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Manchurian Candidate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manchurian Candidate

Gina Dalfonzo
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Marcus writes like a dream. Though I might have liked a little more exploration of underlying meanings (or even just a willingness to admit that there *are* underlying meanings, though I admit it's a bit difficult with a film like this), I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It was a bit like looking at a series of Impressionist paintings, which illuminated even if they didn't analyze.
Mmyoung
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Purportedly an appreciation or analysis of the 1962 film of Condon's book. Under-impressed to say the least. More a pamphlet than a book. I learned little about the film that I couldn't have gathered googling it but a lot about how Marcus felt about the film.
Tom
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This has been sitting on my shelf for at least a year, waiting for the day when I finally got around to seeing the movie. That day came a couple weeks ago -- I loved the movie -- and it occurred to me afterwards that it would be a perfect time to read Marcus' little book. The book was pretty much what I expected, which is to say that it illuminated some things about the film and made me want to watch it again.
Bookworm1858
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read for class; interesting analysis of the classic film The Manchurian Candidate. Left wanting more from what is essentially a booklet.
Stellypippin
Great pulp!
Kim M-M
Oct 24, 2008
Ewan
Mar 10, 2015
Jonathan
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Having lots of fun reading the books that inspired classic films. Much richer than a rich movie.
Greg
Jeremy
Jan 21, 2011
Casey
Oct 01, 2007
Greil Marcus is the author of Mystery Train (1975), Lipstick Traces (1989), The Shape of Things to Come (2006), When that Rough God Goes Riding and Bob Dylan by Greil Marcus (both 2010), and other books. With Werner Sollors he is the editor of A New Literary History of America (2009). In recent years he has taught at Berkeley, Princeton, Minnesota, NYU, and the New School in New York. He lives in ...more
More about Greil Marcus