Start by marking “3:16: The Numbers of Hope” as Want to Read:
3:16: The Numbers of Hope

3:16: The Numbers of Hope

A twenty-six word parade of hope: beginning with God, ending with life, and urging us to do the same. Brief enough to write on a napkin or memorize in a moment, yet solid enough to weather two thousand years of storms and questions. If you know nothing of the Bible, start here. If you know everything in the Bible, return here. We all need the reminder. The heart of the hum ...more
Published September 11th 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 3

Start your review of 3:16: The Numbers of Hope
Chelsey Ellice
really great book. John 3:16 is a verse a lot of people know and sometimes we forgot how powerful it is. this book is great for new and mature christians
TK421
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Having religious convictions is difficult to do in the age we live in. Scandals abound. Mega-churches seem to be only after money. And televangelists fake Divine messages through performances best suited as top nominations for The Golden Raspberry. (I mean, c’mon, does that pastor really think that speaking-in-tongues sounds like a miasma of gibberish in the likes I use with my children?)

So it is easy to become cynical. I know. I have. Often.

Still, I try to live my life with a pure heart. I try
Lc
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing and refreshing! Love the part when Lucado said about God's love and invitation:

Whoever - includes me, you and all
However - God takes us in however state we are in. No need to clean up.
Whenever - Can call upon His name any time
Wherever - Wherever I am, you are, we are not too far from Home!

No status too low
No hour too late
No place too far
However. Whenever. Wherever.
Whoever includes you, me....forever ----Max Lucado

John 3:16
For God so loved the world
that He gave His ONE and ONLY Son
that Wh
Todd
So I am not the evangelical, conservative religious type. That doesn't stop me from liking Max Lucado. Max presents the God we would all like to believe in - a God of love, mercy and forgiveness. This isn't your mother's "Sinners in the Hands of Angry God" God. Lucado's God is one this world could use more of.

Lucado still believes in Hell - although he claims he would be happy to be proven wrong - and he probably doesn't support pro-choice initiaves or same sex marriage, (I am just making an As
Lizzy Bueckert
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my favourite verse and I loved this book! I learned some new things about both heaven and hell just because Max said things a bit differently than I've read or heard before. Great book!
Arnold
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm actually reviewing the "Teen Edition". My Mom wanted to find a good book for a friend's son who is 15 and non-christian, so we went to the Family Christian Bookstore and picked this one up. I've heard Max Lucado is good, but never read his books. I felt bad giving a book to someone when I have no clue if it's even good, encouraging, or for the intended audience, so I decided to read it. Anyways, I'll admit, I don't read much (I know I should read more). I read this 151 page book in one sitti ...more
Ericka Clouther
This book is helpful if you don't know the basic premise of Evangelical Christianity. If you're already an Evangelical, you will probably enjoy this book like a warm hug or comfort food. If you don't fit either of those categories this book probably won't enlighten or persuade you (even if you're looking to be persuaded) as there isn't much substance to it.
David
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
I've never heard Max Lucado preach. But if he preaches half as good as he writes, he must be truly blessed by God.

Lucado's writing brings God's word to life. Not only does he help grasp the meaning of the bible, he has a way of making you see it as if you were experiencing it firsthand!

In 3:16: The Numbers of Hope, Lucado takes the most well-known scripture in the bible and breaks it down piece by piece showing how powerfully deep this seemingly simple verse truly is. John 3:16 is more than just
Carole Stallman
The way the author takes you step by step through the passage of 3-16 and brings it alive is amazing. He is such a master of using every day experiences to walk you through what the verses you are reading really mean.

I have read several of his other books and I am so drawn to them that I can hardly put them down. My spiritual life has taken on a whole new glow that was never present in my life before and I am just basking in that wonderful special feeling of peace within. I give this and all his
Kristin
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a perspective on such a short verse! I really love the way Max Lucado can put a new light on teachings we so often take for granted. I not only refreshed my memory of that verse I memorized so long ago, I also found new and true meaning to what it actually is saying. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning about God's deep love for us in spite of all our flaws.
LemonLinda
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lucado takes probably the most memorized and one of my favorite Bible verses and breaks it down into just what this verse means for our lives. He has a refreshing, modern way of using anecdotes to reinforce his message. Then in the second half of the book he includes forth daily inspiring mini-stories many of which I marked for emphasis to reread.
Alex
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book started me on a spiritual journey that I hope never ends...ask me about John 3:16 in my life.
Rebecca
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Factual and touching. Lucado has an amazing gift for balance. Easy read for anyone.
Kariuki Njiru
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the foundational verse of the Christian faith. Max Lucado has done somewhat justice to the verse. However compared to other works by the same author, this book falls a little bit short.

The upside of the book is that Max manages to deliver of how the verse is still relevant.

Randy Grossman
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brief synopsis of the author's thoughts regarding John 3:16...one of the most well known verses of the Bible. I have no reason to argue his thoughts. I appreciated one chapter that emphasized the differences of the teaching of Jesus through the Bible alongside several other world religions (pages 25-28). Basically brother Lucado concludes they cannot ALL be correct. His uses the airline industry to emphasize his point. Not all flights lead to Rome...Not all religions lead to the same destinati ...more
Natasha
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Much better than I expected. This is the first Max Lucado book I have read. Although I am a Christian, I tend to shy away from books that for whatever reason, I perceive to be the equivalent of "pop psychology" of the Christian world- i.e. those with the glossy covers that are highly marketed, authors that have a gazillion titles that merely appear to be the same book with a different name, etc. Whether that is an accurate perception or not, I've lumped Lucado in that category. I was pleasantly ...more
Linda
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was mind blowing, It taught me alot of basic things about God, about the whole objective of sending His son to earth. It really magnified the gospel in me. 3:16 isn't just some corny verse anymore. It's my strong tower, my grip of grace now.
Jerry
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My first time reading a Max Lucado book in quite a while...but I enjoyed it!
Randall Boll
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hit for Max Lucado

Great quick read for a new believer or a refresher for a long time believer. I would recommend to anyone looking to dive deeper into the greatest promise in the Bible.
Scottnshana
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Functions well as a daily devotional, especially the final section "Only Jesus: Forty Days with the Son". Like all Lucado's books it stayed with me all day and I was eager each morning to crack it back open. It's short and it's pertinent. Recommend.
Jessica
Mar 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Lucado breaks out John 3:16 for the first 100 pages and follows up with some daily devotionals for new believers. Lucado and I have some fundamental disagreements that I can't get past. Books like this I have to trash because I can't in good faith spread misinformation.
Mason E Searle
This is a good little book. It was a nice little filler in my devotional time. It's a nice reminder if the basics and has the Max Lucado charming stories with perfect time ins. It didn't change my life, but it's worth the read.
Des Collings
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great insights. Fun writing style. Thought provoking.
Ashley
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's beautifully written, short and sweet! I loved it.
Allison Brown
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Great author, making wonderfully necessary points. His writing just doesn’t seem to draw me in and bring me to ponder things as much as I’d like.
Monica Leigh
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great reminder of how much we are loved.
Andrew Shaw
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, word by word exposition of possibly the most famous and profound verses in the whole New Testament. Loved it.
Julie Winkler
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent study!
Peg Sanson
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Several years ago, I led a Bible study group using this book as our guide. Wonderful as with all of Max's books. Well worth the time and study.
David Holland
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity, study
Good book.
I used one chapter as a basis for my Thanksgiving sermon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Straight Talk on Depression: Overcoming Emotional Battles with the Power of God's Word!
  • Three Days at the Brink
  • How's Your Soul?: Why Everything that Matters Starts with the Inside You
  • Fireproof
  • Let's Roll!: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage
  • Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone
  • (Un)Qualified: How God Uses Broken People to Do Big Things
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Heart of His People
  • The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader: Becoming the Person Others Will Want to Follow
  • After Action: The True Story of a Cobra Pilot's Journey
  • My Vanishing Country
  • The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway, #3)
  • Continuing Actions: A Warrior's Guide to Coming Home
  • Greatful American
  • The Path of Loneliness: Finding Your Way Through the Wilderness to God
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https:

News & Interviews

“We will never be cleansed until we confess we are dirty. And we will never be able to wash the feet of those who have hurt us until we allow Jesus, the one we have hurt, to wash ours.” 36 likes
“You will be at your best forever, Even now you have good moments. Occasional glimpses of your heavenly self. When you change your baby's diaper, forgive your boss's temper, tolerate your spouse's moodiness, you display traces of saintliness.” 27 likes