Start by marking “Poisoned Love” as Want to Read:
Poisoned Love

Poisoned Love

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  442 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Case seen on Inside Edition, Good Morning America, and 48 Hours

Accident, Suicide. . . Or Murder?

On November 6, 2000, paramedics answered a call to find Kristin Rossum, 24, sobbing. Her husband, Greg de Villers, wasn't breathing and she claimed he had overdosed on drugs after learning she was leaving him. But family and friends who knew of Greg's distaste for drugs weren'
Published January 1st 2010 by Pinnacle (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poisoned Love

BAM The Bibliomaniac

2017 Lenten Buddy nonfiction Reading Challenge book #30

Reread True Crime Commemoration # 14
Setting: sunny California
RTC
♥ Marlene♥
What a story. I really liked it. Perhaps it could have been a bit shorter but all in all very well written. I can't believe this is the author's first book.

It was fun. At first I did not know who the killer or the victim was and while reading I must admit to me being wrong. The killer I thought turned out to be the victim. This is why it is so important to me to read books not knowing and why it is my pet peeve that true crime authors should stop telling us everything in the first story and espe
Lori
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Fans of the true crime genre will rejoice with another entry to add to their library, Poisoned Love by Caitlin Rother. In the style of Ann Rule, a true crime favorite of mine, Ms. Rother delves deep into the background and psyche of not only the accused but the victims as well and provides painstaking detail of the crime, the trial and the aftermath.

Reading Poisoned Love will make it clear to the reader that Ms. Rother spent an inordinate amount of time on her research and with admirable result
ILoveBooks
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking for a crime book? Maybe you want a book that contains mystery, crime fiction, and suspense? This book is perfect for you. The author skillfully tells the tale of an "American Beauty" who had a great life and proceeded to lose that life on the basis of a ridiculous choice.

Kristin Rossum is exactly as described on the back cover of this book. She is the typical California "Golden Girl." She did not want for much of anything, she was pretty and intelligent as well. When she married Greg de
Gerry
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristin Rossum came from a well-to-do California family but in high school she developed a liking for illegal drugs, including methamphetamine. She apparently got over her drug habit and enrolled part-time at the University of Redlands and moved into accommodation on the campus.

However, she relapsed and moved to a suburb of San Diego where she enrolled at San Diego State University and graduated with honours in 1998. She had met Greg de Villers and they were married in 1999 when she worked at th
SenoraG
As I always say, I don't like to tear a book down, just because I did not like it means nothing and I don't like swaying anyone else. That being said, short and sweet here.........

I love True Crime, I did not love this book. It started out well then just flopped about 100 pages in. I found the author very repetitive in her writing, retelling details again and again. It took me weeks to get through this. I finally wound up skipping towards the end just to see what the verdict was.
Rita
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well written story of a young selfish woman who betrayed her husband in the worst way possible. Just a spoiled self-absorbed young woman
who had everything but wanted more. Riveting read!
Heather Fineisen
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
And so my husband is safe for another day...
Anagha
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults; Fans of true crime and Ann Rule
Shelves: posted
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/2011/1...

Review: My 5-word description: Suspenseful but not well executed

Plot: One should keep in mind while reading this book that it is a true crime novel and thus everything recounted in it has actually happened. I though that this book had a marvelous plot, especially with the nonfiction aspect, and both the investigation and court case were authentic and well-written.

Characters: The protagonists were fairly likable. You can’t feel
Rachel Ramirez
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristin Rossum and Greg de Villers weren't married very long when Greg "apparently" committed suicide. But, things began to seem off pretty quickly. Turns out Kristin was unhappy in the marriage, her former drug addiction had reared its ugly head again and rather than divorce Greg, she chose to murder him. She worked in a toxicology lab and likely thought her experience in that area would help her hide her crime. It might have if she hadn't been so strung out on drugs that she made a mess of eve ...more
Stephanie
Yes I bought it but I only paid 50 cents for it...this is another telling of the story in "Deadly American Beauty" of Kristin Rossum, the toxicologist in San Diego who murdered her husband...complete with rose petals, stupidity, a boyfriend who I am sure was in on it (her boss, also a toxicologist) and who subsequently went to Australia or New Zealand and basically got away with murder.

Interesting, and this version, told by the writer for the SD newspaper who covered the whole thing, includes qu
Lisa
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story is interesting, for I love true crime stories. This tale reels you in, it's shocking and an interesting read, however, the book is poorly written. A first grade reading level for such a gruesome story.
Marianne Stehr
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marianne-s-144
This is a good book that tells a true story without getting too technical in the court room part (which I find many true crimes to do). It was interesting even if you knew the story and the outcome. Still some unanswered questions.
Eva Leger
Nov 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime readers
Recommended to Eva by: myself
Shelves: b-true-crime
I wish I could remember enough from this to give details but it's been a lot of years since I've read this. With me having read so many true crime books I usually can remember a book I don't like more then one I did like and this is definitely one worth reading if you're into true crime.
Shaina
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes true crime
I love true crime. That's the main reason this book took my interest. This was quite the page turner and pretty informative about more scientific/medical things like the drug fentynyl. I loved this book.
Elizabeth
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book caught my attention from the begining and never let it go. The idea that some like Kristin Rossum could have access to the drugs that allowed her to carry out her plan amazes me. This book is well researched and worth the read.
Theresa
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True murder

Throughout this whole book I could never figure out why she didn't just leave him. He would have gotten over it and he would still be alive.Her actions destroyed a lot of lives.
April
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!
Bsalto
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Was written well.
Kristen Doherty
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime readers
Kristin was a smart and beauitful women addicted to meth, cheated on her husband, and eventually kills him with poison.
Kj Karnage
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is her first book I have read and I really liked it. It reminded me totally of Ann Rules books which I love to read.
Suzanne
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great true crime book. Caitlin Rother has just made it to my top 5 TC authors
Peg
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I'd seen this story on 48 Hours but there's always so much more that a book can cover. It's a sad case with so much loss.
Mary
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true crime story - kept me up reading. I think she did it, but will you after you read it?
Edith English
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Ms. Rother has done an outstanding job of portraying the strong love and bond between parent and child. As with so many parents though, they refuse to see what their child is capable of, and to accept their part in their child's actions. Weren't the Rossums partially responsible for what Kristen had done? Ms. Rother has the ability to make the reader do a lot of soul searching. Amazing writer.
Heavensent1
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heavensent1 by: ARC
Poisoned Love is a True Crime Mystery.

Kristin Rossum was the All-American girl, coming from a wealthy family who coddled her every need, popular in school, pretty, charming, to name just a few of the characteristics associated with her early years. She was a go-getter, an over-achiever in all aspects of her life, from her academics to ballet, Kristin had to excel in everything she did or she would feel like a failure.

On the day that Kristin tears the muscle ligaments in her leg, her dreams of be
Jael
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must have missed the Snapped episode on Kristin Rossum. Whenever Oxygen airs a marathon, I'm right there. So it was quite easy for me to get sucked into Poisoned Love by Caitlin Rother.

The book opens with the death of Kristin Rossum's husband Greg de Villers. Before Rother even delves into the details of his death, I was suspicious of Kristin's "story." She alleges Greg must of have committed suicide. He was also covered in roses. Which sounded very strange. What guy is going to kill himself
Lynda Kelly
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
This went on a bit for me-was a little too long-winded but it was thorough !! I only spotted a couple of apostrophe mistakes too so that was good.
It's a true story of Kristin Rossum who was prosecuted for killing her husband Greg. What struck me most about this case was the way she behaved as though all the police and investigators were fools. The same with her parents, especially her mother. She was keen to blame anyone but her precious daughter for any of her transgressions all her life....lik
Donna Siebold

Doris Jean
Jan 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, there are too many grammar errors which make it too much work to understand.
Shelves: crime-criminals
This was a great crime story, at the end I still have no opinion of her actual part in the crime. The "heroine", Kristin Rossum, reminded me of Casey Anthony, a woman who had ambitious, strong, over-protecting parents who literally formed the worst character in their daughter, in my opinion. Kristin could have done the entire crime by herself, she was capable of the worst evil, in my opinion.
The author was in desperate need of an editor. The book was bumpy to read because there were grammatica
  • One Deadly Night : A State Trooper, Triple Homicide, and a Search for Justice
  • Sleep In Heavenly Peace
  • Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder
  • To the Last Breath
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • Wasted
  • Blood Bath
  • Cold Storage
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • Tacoma Confidential: A True Story of Murder, Suicide, and a Police Chief's Secret Life
  • Della's Web: The Many Husbands of a Suburban Black Widow
  • Cruel Deception
  • Safe Harbor: A Murder in Nantucket (St. Martin's True Crime Library)
  • Where Hope Begins: One Family's Journey Out of Tragedy-and the Reporter Who Helped Them Make It
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
  • Runaway Devil: How Forbidden Love Drove a 12-Year-Old to Murder Her Family
New York Times bestselling author Caitlin Rother has written or co-authored 11 books, ranging from narrative non-fiction crime to mystery to memoir. Her titles include LOVE GONE WRONG, DEAD RECKONING, THEN NO ONE CAN HAVE HER, I'LL TAKE CARE OF HER, NAKED ADDICTION, POISONED LOVE, BODY PARTS, TWISTED TRIANGLE, LOST GIRLS, WHERE HOPE BEGINS and MY LIFE, DELETED. A Pulitzer Prize nominee, Rother wor ...more
More about Caitlin Rother...