Start by marking “A Tale Dark & Grimm (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Tale Dark & Grimm (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #1)

A Tale Dark & Grimm

(A Tale Dark & Grimm #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  19,981 ratings  ·  3,186 reviews
In this mischievous and utterly original debut, Hansel and Gretel walk out of their own story and into eight other classic Grimm-inspired tales. As readers follow the siblings through a forest brimming with menacing foes, they learn the true story behind (and beyond) the bread crumbs, edible houses, and outwitted witches.

Fairy tales have never been more irreverent or subv

Published October 28th 2010 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Tale Dark & Grimm, please sign up.
Ray-ray This book is not for people with weak tolerance for death, blood, and overall gore. The ending is fairly happy, but VERY bloody things happen on the…moreThis book is not for people with weak tolerance for death, blood, and overall gore. The ending is fairly happy, but VERY bloody things happen on the way. The book is very good, though. There are 'warnings' about when blood is coming. (less)
Carly I found that this book is a different kind of scary, but I do believe that this book is better.

Mischenko
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
To see this review and others please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

I have a thing for fairy tales, especially Hansel and Gretel. So when I saw A Tale Dark and Grimm at the library a few weeks ago, I couldn't hesitate. I needed to read this book.

Firstly, I thought the story was incredibly creative. It's like the classic Hansel and Gretel except in addition to the witch, they deal with many other scary beings and they move through different fairy tales. They decide they must choose their own f
Rick Riordan
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This debut YA novel is getting a lot of well-deserved attention. Gidwitz manages to balance the grisly violence of the original Grimms’ fairy tales with a wonderful sense of humor and narrative voice, somewhat reminiscent of Lemony Snicket’s take on the penny dreadful, but also completely fresh and unique. Gidwitz weaves the fairy tales together into a single narrative featuring Hansel and Gretel, and does it so well you’ll be wondering if this was the way the stories were meant to be told back ...more
MischaS_
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Do you know the feeling that you knew everything that was about to happen even before you read it? Well, nothing surprised me in this. Not a single thing.

It had great potential, but it did not work for me. There are some fantastic re-tellings, but this one is not it... at least not for me.

No, of course, it can't. The moon can eat children, and fingers can open door, and people's heads can be put back on.
But rain? Talk? Don't be ridiculous.
Good thinking, Gretel dear. Good thinking.

Because th
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I loved, loved, loved this book! This is the kind of book that I wish I could find more of. I think it was a wonderful fix of humor, horror, suspense, angst, and a great coming of age story. I didn't think that I would appreciate a story with Hansel and Gretel thrown into other fairy tales, nor could their story sustain a full-length novel. I was wrong on both counts. Hansel and Gretel became very dear to my hearts. They started out as little children who were doing what little children did. Liv ...more
Betsy
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Didn’t want to read this. Nope. Not a jot. Three reasons for that. First off, the title. I’ve said it about twenty times since reading it and every time I can’t quite get it right (derivations have included "Something Dark and Grimm", “A Grimm Tale”, and “Something Grimm”). Second, the jacket of the hardcover edition of this book isn’t particularly new. Silhouettes against a blue background. Ho hum. Third, I couldn’t believe that I was dealing with yet ANOTHER middle grade novel adapting fairy t ...more
Melki
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gidwitz spins a twisted tale that sends Hansel and Gretel into the deep, dark, and sometimes, bloody forest. Not surprisingly, no one there is quite what they seem. The author/narrator frequently warns the reader that bad things are going to happen . . . and, boy - do they ever! Hansel has a Hell of a time, as heads roll, and dragons roar. Gretel's no slouch either, when it comes to taking names, and kicking butt.

Anyone who enjoys their fairy tales on the grisly side should enjoy this story of
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome re-imagining of Hansel and Gretel. I can’t wait to try the other two Dark Tales!
Sanaa
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
[4 Stars] I actually finished this last week but am just now getting to this review. I listened to the audiobook and highly recommend it! It's quirky, different, self-aware, gruesome, but also silly! There was one portion of Hansel's story that I found to be a bit out of place, and sometimes the narrator would be a bit annoying with his repetition of "that's the end of the story etc. etc." Regardless, this was still really enjoyable. I recommend it to those who was something simultaneously grim ...more
Heather
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-library
I studied fairy tales a bit in college -- one of my favorite subjects, in fact -- so the premise of this book intrigued me. Imagine if all those children in Grimm stories, the ones who pop up when a poor couple bemoans that they have no children, or who get entrapped by a creepy devil man, or who get killed by their parents, are actually the same two children. They're Hansel and Gretel. And each story, generally culled from the Grimms' work, takes them on a journey of self-discovery and independ ...more
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I would probably rate this one 3.5 but I would have lived for this book as a child. I loved that the author somehow managed to turn something that would normally be a book of different fairy tales, into that weaves them all together by following two young children through-out them all. It was very cleaver and really worked. The violence and gore is quite graphic for a middle-grade novel and I loved it and would've loved it as a kid. If your child is easily frightened then this might not be the b ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously

“You see, to find the brightest wisdom one must pass through the darkest zones. And through the darkest zones there can be no guide.
No guide, that is, but courage”

This is probably one of the most disturbing books I've ever read, and it's a children's book. That being said, I think this is perfect for the right child, but it definitely not for the faint of heart. A retelling of stories from the Grimm brothers, this book focuses mostly on the dark tales of Hansel and Gretel. There
Angela
3.7 Stars

I don't know about you, but Hansel and Gretel was always one of my least favorite fairy tales. They were always so naive, and it felt like they made it out the other side based on chance, and not any particular skill or growth they'd experienced. Here, not so. Here, Adam Gidwitz has imagined a tale that's much longer than the one we know, much more involved, and is actually several shorter tales woven together to tell the whole tale - dark and grimm.

You see, Hansel and Gretel don't just
Chris
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've always liked an analogy for reading I once heard from an English teacher: sometimes your relationship with a book can be just like relationships with people. There are people you'll be instantly drawn to because they have a particular charisma or chemistry for you, yet with time you might realize they lack the depth and quality to be a good relationship. And there are people who don't immediately impress you or draw you in, but the more time you spend getting to know them the more they grow ...more
Jamey
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was great!! I loved how there was always a twist and how they added allot of characters from fairy tales. I think that it was also a pretty easy read, because I was very intrigued. I think that Gretel was the star of the book between her and Hansel. I would really recommend this book if they like adventure.
Simona
Rating: 4/5

Când zilele de toamnă sunt reci în apropierea Halloween-ului, mulți dintre noi vrem să citim cărți de alt tip: fie ele misterioase, fie ele magice, fie ele înfricoșătoare, acestea ne pot apropia mai mult de atmosfera de toamnă.

O poveste Grimminală  a fost alegerea perfectă pentru mine, întrucât a combinat foarte fain ideea de repovestire a unui basm, elemente înfricoșătoare, și stropi de amuzament. Sunt familiară cu povestea celor doi frați Grimm, Hänsel şi Gretel, însă nu am avut oc
Sarah K
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, I hate traditional literature books, but this was a fabulous book! I loved it! I liked how the author took a simple story of two characters that everyone knows and turned into an amazing detailed, action book! It was a book you want to keep reading to see what happened next. I recommend this book to anyone!! The one thing I didn't like was in some chapters I felt like they should have add more information, because at times I felt it ended so fast with no information. Overall this book is g ...more
Dolly
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
It took us a long time to read this book. Since we hadn't finished by the time it was due back at the library, we had to return it before we finished as there were holds on it. So we put it on hold again ourselves and promised to finish it as soon as we could.

It was a great book, filled with fantastic and action-filled stories that were gruesome, but exciting. I have read some about children's ability to detach the written story from reality and be relatively unaffected by gore (more so than wi
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an odd book...short with a "young" cover painting the book is played for somewhat adult humor played against the back drop of the "original" morality tales (bloody morality tales) told in the Grim Grimm's Fairy Tales. You know the ones where the step sisters try cutting off their toes and then their heels to make them fit in the glass slipper?

Here we're told a story of Hansel and Gretel...but not the one you're familiar with. No with repeated warnings to be sure there are no children in
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Kendra
Mar 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book – honestly, I did! The premise is intriguing, and I love fairy tales. Plus it garnered so many glowing reviews that I kept cutting it a bit more slack than I otherwise would have done.

But I found the book to be both dull and irritating. What truly turned me off to this book was the thinness of the plot and the intrusiveness of the narrator. As others have noted, Lemony Snicket this is not -- not even Book 13 Lemony Snicket!

I loved the original tales, so the violence wa
George Jankovic
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for this novel. The author takes a bunch of Grimm brothers' tales--not what you think they are, but the original, bloody ones--and weaves them into one story in which Hansel and Gretel are the protagonists. Then he inserts himself--the narrator--into the story from time to time with wonderful humor.

For example, he will ask whether any "little kids" are still in the room if some gory scenes are coming. Or will just make a funny interjection.

The hapless kids in this story go through a lot
Sarah W.
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very good. I was expecting to not like this book very much, but I really liked it. Every story was interesting and made me want to read more. I suggest this book to anyone that likes an adventure. Over all, I really enjoyed reading this book!
Seanna
Jun 06, 2018 added it
This book was so funny the story line was great and it was easy to predict what would happen later in the book.
JordanT
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting. It was pretty gruesome which I like about it, but was not expecting.
Ana Rotea
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Autorul vede esența poveștii fraților Grimm: o pereche de părinți denaturați, cu o justificare șubredă în a face rău propriilor copii. Gidwitz creează pe această bază o poveste nouă, mai potrivită (in)sensibilităților vremurilor noastre, cu un scenariu complicat și însângerat despre traume - da, curge mult sânge în carte ca să semnalizeze suferința.
Am început să citesc cartea pentru aventura pe care o promitea - și care nu m-a dezamăgit -
însă am dat de mai mult de atât. Cartea este despre pări
Kaitlin
Nov 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not the worst thing I've ever read, but it was pretty close. I was able to slog my way to the end though.
Esha
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Had this gem in my school library.
Amazing. It made me laugh.
It brought out the child in me.
It made me feel like the hero in my own story again.
Thank you Book.
Sara Geiser
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked A Tale Dark & Grimm, it was really good. It was well written, even with all the gore in it, but I wish it was longer. I haven't really ever read a book that the author pops in on pages and clarifies stuff, or adds on. I definitely will be picking the second book when I have a chance to.
Leah H.
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book! I thought that it offered a unique perspective on the fairy tales that so many of us grew up with as kids, and it was a quick and easy read.
UCAS English 10 H...: November Reading Assignment 1 5 Dec 11, 2017 10:26AM
A tale dark and grimm 1 3 Oct 25, 2017 08:43AM
2017 Reading Chal...: A Tale Dark & Grimm 1 12 Jul 31, 2016 12:40PM
Conflict internal & external 1 3 Dec 09, 2015 10:32AM
  • Keeper
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1)
  • Breadcrumbs
  • Splendors and Glooms
  • Falling In
  • West of the Moon
  • Clever Jack Takes the Cake
  • Half Upon a Time (Half Upon a Time, #1)
  • Starry River of the Sky
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy
  • The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1)
  • The Flint Heart
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • Cosmic
  • Goblin Secrets (Zombay, #1)
To read my bio and learn more about me, and find a FAQ, visit:

A Tale Dark & Grimm (3 books)
  • In a Glass Grimmly (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #2)
  • The Grimm Conclusion (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #3)
No guide, that is, but courage”
91 likes