Start by marking “Jesus and the Land: The New Testament Challenge to "holy Land" Theology” as Want to Read:
Jesus and the Land: The New Testament Challenge to "holy Land" Theology

Jesus and the Land: The New Testament Challenge to "holy Land" Theology

This accessible volume describes first-century Jewish and Christian beliefs about the land of Israel and offers a full survey of New Testament passages that directly address the question of land and faith. Respected New Testament scholar Gary M. Burge examines present-day tensions surrounding "territorial religion" in the modern Middle East, helping contemporary Christians ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Baker Academic (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus and the Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus and the Land

Jeff McCormack
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and right after I started reading it I noticed two other authors I respected had also recently made mention of it, so I figured it should be a good read. The issue of Zionism, or those who feel Israel deserves to be back in their land due to some biblical, covenantal, or eschatological reason, really need to examine the issue further; and this book is a great place to start.

I was thinking it was going to just be a book to counter the many modern arguments in support
Paul Heidebrecht
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Is this book ever powerful walking through every part of the Bible to help us understand what the land of Israel meant then and now! And it's a devastating critique of Christian Zionism which has captured much of American evangelicalism and actually affects US policy in the Middle East--and not in good ways. Burge's main argument is that the New Testament corrects the misuse of Old Testament texts by Christian Zionists. I'm now beginning to wonder if guys like Hal Lindsey and John Hagee are actu ...more
Louis Lapides
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I pushed myself hard to finish a book that tears at the foundation of who I am and what I believe as a messianic Jew. Gary Burge is well known as an anti-Israel evangelical who often aligns himself with Palestinian theologians who cry out at the alleged injustices of Israel towards the Palestinians and at the same time ignore the mistreatment of Palestinian Christians at the hands of Muslim Hamas.

Several points need to be stated about Burge’s expose of what he calls territorial theology.

First, B
Robert Gilbert
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that, if you agree with it, you don’t need to read it. A few simple sentences would suffice to reimburse the conclusions you have already come to. Well, I suppose it is worth reading if you are gearing up for an argument with people who don’t agree. And, I suppose, it would do well to arm up on the whole book's worth of arguments, knowing the kind of people who would argue in opposition.

For sure, this is not the kind of book for people who don’t agree. They simply won
David Padrick
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Burge's extreme angle on this critical issue is the result of serious errors. Inadequate time was spent addressing the philosophical ramifications of God's initial choosing and blessing of Israel. Burge's humanism that protests God's promises to Israel would fall flat if these issues were addressed. His argument that God's focus moves away from the Land in the New Testament comes from a failure to understand the age we live in (The time of the Gentiles, Luke 21:24), as well as what the Land repr ...more
Kristin
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kristin by: Mike Kuhn
Great, sweeping look at the role of the land in the Bible and how it is presented and understood. The book deals pretty strictly with the biblical aspect, without delving into the politics and present-day problems, although the author does recommend lots of wonderful books on both sides of the aisle.
George Love
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent example of good Biblical scholarship that helps us to understand the world of scripture and speaks a relevant word to real world situations now. Whether you find yourself in agreement with the author politically there is much here to contemplate and consider. An excellent resource.
Anthony Rodriguez
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
A thorough overview of many, many texts in play on this issue. Does a fantastic job of clarifying the NT's vision of what Jesus accomplished and how it supersedes any theology tied to land. This is a lot of work packed into a quick 130-page read and easily could have been 500. Very good introduction to the relevant passages, though. I wish all American Christians would read this.
Keith
Excellent look at NT theology concerning the Land (Israel) which brings challenge, balance, and perspective to the popular Zionist movement and lays out an understandable template for understanding how Christ fulfills and expands OT promises and intentions.
John Sagherian
Feb 09, 2016 added it
Shelves: owned
With all that's going on in the Middle East, it's good to read a healthy Biblical perspective about the Land where Jesus walked.
Donna
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-east, religion
Very well written
Rob Dalrymple
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good look at the theological issues related to the Land
Noushin
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
amazing theological refutation of Christian Zionism - so well written and so well argued!
Mary Shelton
rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2015
William Upton
Oct 05, 2014
David
Jul 30, 2011
Dr. Gary M. Burge is a professor of New Testament Studies at Wheaton College, where he has been on staff since 1992.

The following is a personal discussion of his expertise which he published on Wheaton's site:

"When Lebanon's tragic civil war broke out in the early 1970s, I was a student at the American University of Beirut studying politics and Islam. I never realized what an indelible mark this y
“For a Christian to return to a Jewish territoriality is to deny fundamentally what has transpired in the incarnation. It is to deflect appropriate devotion to the new place where God has appeared in residence,
namely, in his Son. This explains why the New Testament applies to the person of Christ religious language formerly devoted to the Holy Land or the Temple. He is the new spatiality, the new locale where God may be met.”
1 likes