Start by marking “Fearscape (The Devouring, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fearscape (The Devouring, #3)

Fearscape

(The Devouring #3)

The Vours: Evil demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hour of the winter solstice.

It's been a year since Reggie first discovered the Vours, and the winter solstice is approaching once again. It will be another night of unspeakable horror for those unlucky enough to be taken by the Vours, because this time, she won't be able to stop them. The
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 314 pages
Published October 5th 2010 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Fearscape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearscape

Start your review of Fearscape (The Devouring, #3)
Teno Q.
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels, horror
After waiting for this for months, I finally received it in the mail just this afternoon. It takes me only a few hours to read a short novel, so...I've finished it already.

My first reaction: O_o

After it sunk in: I was upset. Because it didn't turn out the way I was hoping, even though the ending made perfect sense. Also because "Simon Holt" (if he really exists, and isn't just a line of writers under a pseudonym) seems to have fallen in what I call the sci-fi writer trap: speeding along with his
Anne
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Reggie goes into more Fearscapes! Ooga-Booga-Booga!

Eh. You've seen one, you've seen 'em all, in my opinion. They stopped being creepy after the 1st book, and yet, we are subjected to reading about them over and over and over again. After reading the second book, I was bored with it. By this book it was full-on annoying.
Yeah, yeah, more maggots and ooze. Grotesque creatures, squishy walls, and puppies with no eyes. Boooooring. Move on.

I liked the 1st book, and I honestly wish I'd left it at that
Vicky Marie
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Caidyn (BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

I wish I could say that I loved this book, but I didn’t. I heavily hinted at my disappointment in my review of the second book, Soulstice, but it really comes to light here in this book.

The odd plot that happened in the second book of this trilogy got odder. This story that was interesting and a world that intrigued me got boring as the lines of treachery and deceit kept going. It was just weird. It was too much of a cosmic battle.

What made Reggie and the
Amy Rose Thomas
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have been a fan of this series from the very beginning. The Vours are the ultimate villain: unattainable, relentless, neverending and innumerable. Reggie seems at first to be quite the unlikely hero against such horrid villains; but as you get to know her more, you begin to comprehend how incredibly strong she is. She has spirit and hope inside her that can really and truly stand the test of anything. The beautiful thing about this spirit of hers is that it doesn't come from herself so much as ...more
Sophia Alexis  Books
Not my favorite in the series but I still enjoyed it a lot. Ugh this trilogy deserves more hype.
Kristi
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Devouring #3: Fearscape is a thrilling page turner that I didn't put down until I finished it front to back.
The Devouring #2 left us with Reggie being taken to a mental ward. A cliffhanger extraordinaire that had me anxiously awaiting Fearscapes release.

A quick side note on the Vours. The Vours are evil demons that have existed since time began; they can only take possession of a human body on `Sorry Night', the night of the winter solstice. A person who is possessed by a Vour retains all
Isa Lavinia
The quality of the writing in this series varies greatly from chapter to chapter. Maybe what they say is true, and there were several writers working on this. But while in the previous two we got some vivid, well-written chapters in between mediocre ones, this book seemed much more imbalanced. Don't get me wrong, there were still some chapters that made the book worth reading (and not just so we can know how the series ends).

Personally, what I find terrifying is not so much the concept of scary
Rose
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yet another conclusion to a book series. Review coming soon. (:

Where we left off in Soulstice, Reggie was finally able to break Quinn free of the Vour's hold on him. Unfortunately, Reggie also get's sent to Home, a mental institute run by Dr. Unger, and Vours.

Reggie is forced into people's fearscapes in order for Unger to conduct research.

All the while, Aaron, with the help of Quinn and ex-tracer Machen, plan on freeing Reggie before it's too late.

I had forgotten how much I loved this series. It
Miss Clark
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Kezia
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OMG BEST BOOK OF THE SERIES!!!!!! So creepy and demented.......I LOVE IT XD! Love all the gruesome discription, simon holt is and artist with words, painting a horrible and cruel picture! 2 thumbs up!
Crystal Bevan
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cant wait till its released on October 5, the Soulstice had such a cliffhanger! :)
Jawaria Asim
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fearscape was an exciting page turner which I couldn't put down until I had finished it.

However i would have liked to the end a bit more FINAL rather than the on-going training/fearscapes etc that they finished the book of with.

I was happy with the tiny minny "love-angle" they finally showed between Reggie-Quinn.... Aaron was her best friend. I am glad that was not changed to a LOVE STORY as with MOST books.
Sometimes its better to leave a friendship just as that...
Infact i would have preferred
Eden
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eden by: My boyfriend.
Shelves: reviewed, horror
This is the final book in the series. I have to say overall, I did like these books. This one, though, felt a little rushed. And while I do like the characters, I feel as if I don't really know them all that well. While their fears are placed front and center, you never really get into their heads or feel what they are feeling.

I have to give the author credit for creating a very original monster -Vours. They aren't physical and their world isn't even in our dimension. How are you going to defeat
Juan Carlos Nuño
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
The ending of this saga was pretty meh.

The whole saga as a whole was EXTRA MEH.

I mean, the concept seemed super interesting and that's why I read it. But the more I read, the less I liked it. Maybe I way over dystopias and they are not for me anymore.

I think the character I liked the most was Aaron. He grew a lot in the book. But he didn't end up with Reggie. And Reggie just felt for the jock? Like really?

Also, the ending was so confusing and open-ended. I didn't like it

My favorite phrase:

"Our s
Amanda
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I greatly enjoyed this series and think it has potential to continue beyond the final installment
Chloe Dall'Osto
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great way to end The Devouring series trilogy. The ending was not what I expected but was still good. This was such a fantastic series that I wish Simon Hot made more books!
Marcia
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ending was....realistic enough...but I'm not too excited about how the story of the mother was left....almost felt like an afterthought.
Hannah
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
my least favorite volume. much less scary and less suspenseful over all.
 M (Inactive because school)
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inflamers
At first I never put much attention to this book because I haven’t read the first two books in this trilogy. But when I started to read it, just to give a try, I never expected that this would stick to my heart and I realized there is a bond between me and this book. This book is just beyond radical.
Reggie is now sixteen, and it’s been almost a year since she ate the Vour of Jeremiah in Macie’s basement. Her dad, who’s thinking she and Aaron have gone completely nuts for “inventing” stories abo
Hannah
Apr 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this book.
For the record, I loved the other two, and this series continues to be my favorite. However, this book kind of threw me for a loop. I found a similar occurrence in Mockingjay from the Hunger Games series. It was depressing, and there was just no magic. No "WOW" factor that the previous books had, and the characters lost any traces of their previous personality. What is it with the last book in a series failing miserably?

I liked the crazy fearscape
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
After the cliffhanger ending in Soulstice, Fearscape opens up with an unrelenting pace and the gruesome, creepy happenings that I’ve come to expect from Simon Holt. Much like its predecessors, this third book in the series (is it the final one?) finds Reggie traipsing through fearscapes, but this time, there’s so much more to the story.

The world that Holt built in The Devouring really feels like it’s coming full circle here and there are many more answers than questions. Everything that Reggie h
Zoha
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OH my gosh I was about to cry!!! I made my brother stay near me when I read this. I can't talk about the book and what happens in it because really you can read the book and find out. This book makes me want to talk about my fears and how I might react to them. Can I really be that strong?? AM I lying to myself when I say I can't face my fear??? AM I telling the truth to myself when I say I can concur my fears and go on. This whole book reminded me about my worst fears. I fear animals like a nor ...more
Donna
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Like all horror sequels, this one is a bit more watered down than the others simply because the horror factor that existed in the original, the thing that made the books scary, is something we're already used to. We've been desensitized to it over the course of three books. That's not a matter of storytelling. It just happens. It's very hard to maintain true horror through multiple sequels because of that. And that's across the genre, not just in FEARSCAPE.

The tension was still there, though. Th
Sensitivemuse
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What can say except that this series has been really really good? so good I couldn’t stop reading this book. After that cliffhanger ending from Soulstice I just couldn’t get my hands on this one.

The story takes a darker turn as Reggie is in a dangerous situation. I was so angry at her father for putting her where she is, it gave me such a sense of triumph when he was finally proven wrong. I really enjoyed reading about the various Fearscapes Reggie dives into. They’re scary, and well written to
Samantha
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if I was just too distracted to enjoy this book or if it actually fell short. Don't get me wrong, it was still awesome and an excellent read, but I wasn't quite enthralled as I was with the first two (which I read in a matter of hours... this one, over the course of two weeks). There was less time in the actual fearscapes (contrary to the name of the novel) and I think that was a big part of it. There is more talking and planning than actual action (unlike the first two in the trilo ...more
Logan
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book five stars, because it was really good, BUT (I think I put enough emphasis there) it was the most idiotic thing to pair Reggie with Quinn. I mean, what the hell?! I have waited three books, THREE! for Aaron and Reggie to get together, and you know what I got? SQUAT! Ugh!

Reasons why Quinn and Reggie should NOT have been paired together!:
-Quinn was a freaking VOUR and tried to KILL Reggie!
-Reggie didn't even like the real him. She liked the Vour him, and because he was cute.
-T