Start by marking “The Careful Writer” as Want to Read:
The Careful Writer

The Careful Writer

The definitive writers’ handbook of alphabetized entries that provides answers to questions of use, meaning, grammar, punctuation, precision, logical structure, and color.

The Careful Writer is a concise yet thorough handbook, covering in more than 2,000 alphabetized entries the problems that give (or should give) writers pause before they set words to paper. It is perhaps the live/>The
Published December 1st 1995 by Free Press (first published September 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Careful Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Careful Writer

Start your review of The Careful Writer
Jacqui
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Theodore Bernstein's fifty-year-old, 512-page The Careful Writer: A Modern Guide to English Usage (the Free Press, 1963) and its more than 2000 problem-solving entries has some of the best tips you'll need if you're serious about becoming a writer. Bernstein, former consulting editor of the New York Times, wrote/co-wrote seven books on writing, but this one--in my estimation--is his best. The font styles are old; the archaic structure of its syntax at times made me chuckle; and the topic is as a ...more
Robert
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Toss out that useless Strunk and White and pick this up. It's not exactly the Chicago Manual of Style, but it helps with a lot of tricky choices about what is proper style. And it's amusing.
Michael
My book is hardbound, published by Atheneum in 1967.
I have had this in my library of reference works for some time and finally decided to read it straight through. I am evaluating the need for many of my library books when such material is so readily available on line.
Bernstein is a supple writer using humor to keep the proceedings too dry. He uses many apt quotations usually from newspapers to illustrate poorly chosen particular words or phrases that inhibit clarity. Newspapers, and
BookBec
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
Parts have aged well, while others are dated. Bernstein hoped for "arcking" to catch on in place of "arcing," as one example. Nope. On the plus side, I did appreciate his notes on which prepositions belong with certain words. Overall, though, I find reading an A-Z writer's guide to be a horribly dry experience. After I noted some out-of-date advice in the first 50 pages or so, I had only enough interest to skim the rest of the book.
Jim Robles
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. The language changes, and this is a great record of usage at the time.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
We need a much more modern version of this book that patiently explains with examples and keeps in mind the modern technology, Internet, etc. It seemed too brief of a dictionary for me. Style changes with time and this is the second millennium.
Marc
Page to page and back and through again.
Emilymcmc
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The bible.
Beth
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
Useful and droll in roughly equal parts.
Marla
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
college and after -- the best
Daniel
Nov 20, 2014
Ryan
Apr 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Queen Abigail the Wise (The Every Tuesday Club #1)
  • Vanessa the Wonder-worker (The Every Tuesday Club #2)
  • Spinster: Making a Life of One's Own
  • Let Love Have the Last Word
  • Reclaiming Our Space: How Black Feminists Are Changing the World from the Tweets to the Streets

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »