Start by marking “The Frog Prince Continued (Live Oak Readalong Series)” as Want to Read:
The Frog Prince Continued (Live Oak Readalong Series)

The Frog Prince Continued (Live Oak Readalong Series)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  4,712 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
First he broke The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. Now he uncovers the awful truth--and high hilarity--of life "happily ever after." It seems that the Frog Prince doesn't think life is a bowl of duckweed--all the Princess does is nag, nag, nag. So it's off to the deep dark woods to look for a witch willing to help him out. Full color.

Reading Level: Age 5 and Up

Read by
Audio CD, 1 page
Published January 1st 2004 by Live Oak Media (NY) (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Frog Prince Continued, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Frog Prince Continued

Ronyell
Frog Prince

“The Frog Prince Continued” is another addition to Jon Scieska’s fractured fairy tales collection and is a hilarious story about marriage problems. Jon Scieska’s witty writing delightfully expresses the Frog Prince’s dilemma about being a human and changing back into a frog and Steve Johnson’s dark illustrations makes this story a classic dark comedy.

“The Frog Prince Continued” is full of dark humor and lively characters as they depict the Frog Prince’s attempts at turning back into a frog afte
Carrie
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read in ages!!!!!!!
Eyehavenofilter
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: For fun, anyone
(Re done to correct my massive spelling errors.)
And they lived happily ever after... The End?
Really, is that what all these books tell you as a child?
Say it ain't so. The princess hates the fact the the prince
keeps sticking his tongue out!
He hates the fact she won't go down to the pond anymore.
He hops on the furniture: it drives her crazy,
He doesn't want to slay anything, like a normal prince
so he continus to annoy her.
She has had it up to her crown finding lily pads in his pockets,
And wishes
Miriam
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, fairy-tale
Unhappy in his marriage, the former frog goes in search of a witch to return him to his amphibious state.

The illustrations are full of clever and humorous details; my favorite is the Nasty Spells remote control.
Lauren
The witches are great characters in this book. A fun book to show kids that not all stories that appear to have happy endings actually do. It would be fun to have kids guess which fairy tales the author is referring to while progressing throughout the story and talk about what happened in each.
Kaetlin V
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by Jon Scieszka and illustrated by Steve Johnson, The Frog Prince Continued answers the question what happens after storybook characters live “happily ever after.” After the princess kisses the frog prince to turn him back into a human, they don’t get along. The princess and the prince end up arguing over their different ways of living because the prince is so used to living as a frog. Fed up with this, the prince sets off to find someone to turn him back into a frog. The rest of his jou ...more
James Kerry
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking at life after the kiss between the Princess and the Frog Prince.
Life isn't quite as 'happily ever after' as it was cracked up to be and the Frog Prince decides to go and find a witch to turn him back into a frog.
There are some really nice touches and inferences to who the witches are, from other fairy tales (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel) and the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella also puts in an appearance. These connect the book to other tales really well and the story ha
JustOneMoreBook.com
Delightfully flippant dialogue and dark, stylized illustrations laced with familiar, fun-to-find details take us on a hilarious journey through the forest of fairy tales in this quest for missing marital bliss.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Listen to our chat with author Jon Scieszka on JustOneMoreBook.com.

More fairy tales gone wild and fun with the familiar on JOMB:

- And the DISH Ran Away with the SPOON
- Badness for Beginners
Carmen Pagan
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Frog Prince Continued written by Jon Scieszka, is a story meant to be a continuation of the popular fairytale known as The Frog Prince. The Frog and Prince Continued reveals in the beginning of this book that if fact the Prince and Princess did not end up living “happily ever after.” The Princess is annoyed of the Prince and his frog like habits. The Prince goes out into the forest to look for a witch to turn him back into a frog so he could then be happy again. He encounters many witches fr ...more
Bernadette
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All is not well in the land of fairy tales – the Frog Prince and his Princess are not living happily ever after! In fact, after a nasty fit by the princess, the Frog Prince decided that maybe it would be better if he were still a frog. He ran off to the forest to look for a witch to place a spell on him and return him to his froggy state. On the way, he meets, but is not helped by, various fairy tale witches – the ones from Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Hansel and Gretel; he even meets the fa ...more
Jennifer Olsker
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. Fractured fairytales always seem to interest me because they take a tale that you know well and instead of mocking it like a parody, it twists it into a view you never would have thought of. From the outside cover and the dust jacket, you would think that this book would be more serious because of the chosen font and dark color. However, the one giveaway that this story will not be very serious is that the word "continued" seems to be simple painted underneath the ...more
Sarah Sammis
While waiting in the library for my children to find books I spotted a copy of The Frog Prince, Continued by Jon Scieszka sitting on the table. I decided to read the picture book while I waited.

The book as the title implies, is a sequel to the Frog Prince story. The Frog Prince story seems to be coming back in popularity, although by publish date, Scieszka's book is about a decade ahead of the curve.

Here the frog is a human prince, married to a human princess. She nags. They aren't living in the
Dolly
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2013
At the end of a fairy tale, do the characters truly live happily ever after? Jon Scieszka thinks not.

This is an entertaining take on what happens after the end of the classic fairy tale, The Frog Prince by Jacob Grimm. The narrative has a snarky humor and the ending was a pleasant surprise. The illustrations are nicely detailed and complement the story nicely.

We really enjoyed reading this book together, which is not much of a surprise since we love Jon Scieszka's tales. We will certainly look
Anne
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is meant to continue the well known tale of the frog prince, so as you can image it has a bit of a modern twist. The Frog Prince thinks his life would be happier if he were a frog again but after many bad encounters with witches and fairies from other fairy tales he realizes what a happy life he had after all. The Frog Prince knows his own and other fairytale stories as well as, presumably, his audience know the classic fairytales. The illustrations are a bit gloomy and some of the wi ...more
Relyn
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Sloane Lawson
Shelves: lawsonland
I can't believe I'd never actually read this book. I've seen it a hundred times and I love fairy tales. Sloane and I were at the library the other day and they had new face-out displays. Of course I took home a pile of storybooks to explore for pleasure and for mini-lesson ideas for next year. Even then I didn't grab this one. Sloane brought it home and I sure am glad she did. HOW FUN!! Plus, I love the fantastic surprise ending.

Lesson Connection
I want to use this one next year during my fairy
Peyton Jay
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a funny continuation of the classic story of the frog prince. This definitely had me laughing throughout. I loved how the author uses different descriptions of what you would assume a frog did, and made the prince still have those qualities, even though he is no longer a frog. This is just showing the great imagination of Jon Scieszka. He did a great job at showing a humorous way for children to think differently of the great fairy tale. Really loved the creativity and wo ...more
Crystal Allen
Nov 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves a fairytale with a twist, A great book to give to husbands or newlyweds.
I love all of Jon Scieszka's picture books. This one is no exception. Just as the title says this is the tale of the Frog Prince after the "They Lived Happily Ever After. The End" happens. As in all marriages nothing is as "fairy tale" as it seems on the surface. But when the frog prince goes out to explore what else is out there he realizes that he is never going to get anyone better than his wife. A great book to give to every husband!
Katie Carson
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional-lit
I think this just might be my first five!
I love this book! I love the realistic conflict with having married life not seem so "happily ever after" after all. I love the play on all of the different fairy tales put together. I love using it to encourage students to write their own versions of their favorite traditional stories. In the end, I love the message that it offers it's readers.
Amelia Rees-Williams
Traditional tale with a twist
Lots of speech and dialogue
Moral of not taking things for granted.
Teamlockard123
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mood!
Qt
Funny story, and fitting, humorous illustrations :-D
Michael Epley
In the “The Frog Prince, Continued” written by Jon Scieszka and illustrated by Steve Johnson, there is a whole new twist on the original tale we all know and love. After the Princess and the frog kiss, he of course turns into a prince and that’s where their original story ends. But after they’ve been together for a while the Princess gets annoyed of the Prince and the way he acts. The Prince isn’t happy either, so he seeks a witch to reverse the spell. This task turns out to be harder than it wa ...more
Leslie Rendon
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This frog Prince book is the continuation of where all typical fairytale books leave off which is the happily ever after but we never get to see more than that. In this book we get to see how the Frog Prince and the princess actually live after getting married and it is not as perfect as other books portray it to be. The Prince and Princess seem to argue everyday and so the Prince decides to look for the witch to turn him back into the slimy frog the Princess once loved.

I really enjoyed this bo
Krysta McFarland
This traditional fairytale book perfect for grades 1-3 has now become one of my favorite fairy tales. I never knew that someone could take a fairy tale that I hated so much and turn it into one of my now favorite books ever. The way it is written just had me laughing and identifying every other fairytales they were talking about while I read. Actually as soon as I finished this book I called my mom and told her to add it to my Christmas list because I loved it so much and now I want it so bad.
Jessica
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educ542
A fun sequel to a classic fairytale. Teaches you to appreciate what you have while not giving up on your dreams. Did not like the illustrations one bit, which is extra unfortunate since I loved The Salamander Room.
Mel Ann
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An all too familiar story. When you think you have it bad then live life from a different view and realize that the life your living is perfect, just the way it is.
Julie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cute after-the-story story.
Emma
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favourite story for my kids

so funny
Shreya R
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Bladecki
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Fantasy
Grade Level: 1st
One Unique Feature: A unique feature is that this book incorporated tiny bits of other fairy tales (like Hansel and Gretel and Cinderella)
  • Cinder Edna
  • The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
  • Princess Smartypants
  • Ella's Big Chance: A Jazz-Age Cinderella
  • Little Red Hot
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...