Start by marking “Werewolf Haiku” as Want to Read:
Werewolf Haiku

Werewolf Haiku

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Dear haiku journal,
I think I killed some people.
That was no dog bite.

This journal contains the poetic musings of a mailman who, after being bitten by what he thinks is a dog, discovers that he is actually now a werewolf. Wreaking havoc wherever he goes, he details his new life and transformations in the 5-7-5 syllable structure of haiku—his poetry of choice.

Published September 2nd 2010 by HOW Books (first published August 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Werewolf Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Werewolf Haiku

Eliza
Oct 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, horror, funny
There's more poop in this one.
Ryan
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
i liked it.
Basil
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Totally disgusting--brace yourself before reading this book. Some lines are clever and others are revolting--the images on some pages were the worst. If pictures of clumps of wet, bloody hair or descriptions of hair make you sick, pass up this book and never look back.
Alicia
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Don't eat before you read this book. And if you're not into horror or gore, don't bother picking it up at all. It's a funny horror novel, written in verse. Not scary, but fairly disgusting. But if you like that stuff, read on!
Amie Doughty
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
I really wanted to like this book. Certainly the concept is fun, and much of the book itself is decent, but the overuse of toilet humor and the over-the-top graphics took away from the book's potential.
Lora
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Got it for $2 at a Borders close out sale. Cute and only worth about what I paid.
Tracy
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really clever and gory
Heather
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as Vampire Haiku (same author), but a really good book nonetheless.
Ceejay
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an interesting and enjoyable little book. It's the tale of a mailman who is turned into a werewolf. It's told in the first person, and written in the mailman's Haiku Journal. It's a clever idea, and it was fun to read. I would have given it more stars, but I didn't feel that the haiku was memorable. It's not easy to do a continual 5-7-5 sylable pattern. Of that I am sure. It's just that when you write a haiku, and are limited to that pattern, each haiku should stick with the reader becau ...more
Elusive
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Werewolf Haiku’, a postman believes he has been bitten by a dog only to realize that he has transformed into a werewolf. Thus, he pens a series of haiku which details the changes he’s constantly undergoing and how he deals with them.

Despite tackling such a common subject and storyline, this book was quite entertaining as the author handled the werewolf aspect in a light-hearted manner. As a result, there were many humorous moments – some of which featured a play on words. For instance, missi
Marsha
Who doesn’t remember haikus, the fallback of every underpaid teacher as a way of presenting children to verse? You were introduced to them in the second or third grade and, for many of us, that’s where our lessons in poetry stopped (unless you decided to take English Lit[e] in High School).

Mr. Mecum clearly remembers those fledgling stabs at shoving culture down the throats of our young’uns in this, his third entry in creature feature poetry. The internal journey of a poor mailman bitten by a v
Andersreads
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Who would think to write a book entirely in haiku in the first place? And then to make the main character a werewolf who was bitten by a rabid dog? This small book had me both marveling at the haiku, which were well written and felt like poetry, and laughing at the many of the poems. Here are a few: "The woman next door/with that huge mole on her neck/I think I ate it." Or, "When I walk past sticks/I now find myself thinking/'Sure love to chase that!'" And "People who eat fast/and call it 'wolfi ...more
Ryk Stanton
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Mr. Mecum's "Zombie Haiku" but I was disappointed by this book. ZH is masterful: it has a storyline and real suspense, as well as great graphics. This one just feels sloppily put together. maybe I'm being unjust by comparing it to his earlier work, but I think I would feel the same way even if I had never read another one of his books. This one is just ... okay.

On the upside, I was able to borrow this book from Amazon for free because of my Prime membership.
Daniel Osborn
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Let me start out by saying that this book is about a postman who thinks that he got bitten by a dog while delivering mail. Infact he was bitten by a werewolf. So he starts writing a journal. Not just any journal but a haiku journal about his experiences being a werewolf. Why I gave it a 3 is the quality of the pictures in this book and the design itself. I like the whole journal thing. Also some of the poems were quite funny when he talks about his transformation from a human to a werewolf.
Schnaucl
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
It was okay but it wasn't as amusing or interesting as Zombie Haiku.
Melissa
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Again disappointed. Maybe haikus just work better in my mind for zombies? No idea why that would be, but both Vampire and Werewolf haiku fell flat for me.

It just didn't come off as clever and pithy as the two zombie haiku books.
Kelly
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Straight up horror haiku. Not for the faint-hearted! Clever and a little humorous in spots. Gory and gross in most other spots. This should appeal to the horror reader that is looking for something a little different.
Holly
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bow-wow
It was funny and somewhat creepy. There were photos of puke, which was gross and it was really graphic in some areas, but all in all it was good, and the story was still easy to follow, even in haiku form, which isn't the case with some haiku books.
Stefani
My least favorite of the four (so far) haiku books. There is a lot of talk about poop, vomit, and other bodily functions. This one felt scattered.
Jane
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun and inventive, but this one didn't have the humorous touch of the Zombie Haiku books.
Naomi
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
These books such fun reads.
3Jesper
I thought it was a great poem book.
M
Jun 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Didn't love. Had a lot of potential.
Roy Hudson
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Rather anticlimactic and not as good as Zombie Haiku or Vampire Haiku.
Tami
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun read, but I enjoyed his previous efforts (Zombie Haiku and Vampire Haiku) more. Still, fun.
Caletha
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
cute, quick, fun read
Renae
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rachelle DeMunck
As edgy and deliciously gory as Zombie Haiku.

Mecum's razor-edged wit fits the genre perfectly.
Cara
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, werewolves, dewey
So gross, and yet so funny.
Kelly
  • Worlds Afire

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99