Start by marking “Collected Stories” as Want to Read:
Collected Stories

Collected Stories

Over the course of the last 12 years, Hanif Kureishi has written short fiction. The stories are, by turns, provocative, erotic, tender, funny and charming as they deal with the complexities of relationships as well as the joys of children.

This collection contains his controversial story Weddings and Beheadings, a well as his prophetic My Son the Fanatic, which exposes the
Published March 4th 2010 by Faber Faber (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Stories

Start your review of Collected Stories
Jana
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
These stories are like a combination of fine moistured frenzies. We all have them, we all dwell about our life, we all have that schizoid outbreaks when the moon is full, when we worry, when everything is all too much, and all too much is sometimes more connected with no money than with any other need but what can you do.

Life is not flawless, you cannot just play ostrichs hide and seek game or put yourself under your duvet and cry yourself to sleep. I mean, of course you can, but until when to
Sabrina
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Wow, he likes to write about all things taboo... at first I was put off by many of the stories and characters, but now that I know that each story will have something off color in it, I am enjoying the read and the reflections and insights that all of the flawed characters experience. Even in a short story of fewer than 10 pages, the characters come alive with a depth that makes you think you know where they are coming from and where they are going. Pretty impressive.
Marthe Bijman
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
If you are a city-dweller with a family, you will recognise the characters in Hanif Kureishis short stories, and you will give the occasional involuntary shudder as he reveals the miseries of their private lives. Kureishi is a master at depicting the reality of the modern human experience and this collection contains his best short fiction of the past decade. Some of the stories are disconcerting, such as Weddings and Beheadings and My Son the Fanatic. Others are sweet and touching, like ...more
V She
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A superb outlook at ordinary lives, not so ordinary lives, taboos and guilt/non guilt issues. Hanif delivers magic and lets you identify yourself in some of the characters and tales he has penned. Truly remarkable.
Ivan
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uk-life
Awesome. Really enjoyed that.
Shreyas
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best short story collections I've read in recent times. Hanif Kureishi is a surprise bundle of varied emotions and personalities penned to perfection. After Chekhov, this is a refreshing new age of tales.
Neil Clarke
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Always a fave writer of mine. Wonderful collection. South London meets Camus!
Jeff Howells
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I've cheated a little bit here as the majority of Hanif Kureishi's Collected Stories I've read when they were first published (the earliest ones here are nearly - *gulp* 20 years old) so I've only read the 8 new pieces which come in at less than 100 pages. As per most short stories, it's all about the style rather than the substance. Most of these aren't bad, although he does betray a liking for youthful idealists going to seed and succumbing to middle class aspirations or stories about old ...more
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Libro molto potente. Per essere una raccolta di racconti, poi, ancora più sorprendente. Nel senso che in una raccolta di racconti è più difficile vedere distese certe leve, quel respiro lungo che invece è proprio del romanzo.

Inoltre, il talento incredibile di Kureishi spesso nasconde persino la grande tecnica che invece c'è in racconti tanto perfetti, a volte algidi, a volte fortemente disturbanti. E su tutto svetta la solitudine fortissima di questi inglesi post-tutto: l'ambiente ricorrente è
Sanad Jafari
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hanif Kureishi is one of the best writers I have ever read till date.
Surely enough, he was listed as one of the top fifty writers of all time, no wonder. He writes all kinds of genres, ranging from Taboos to controversial Religious affairs to ordinary happenings in an English household.

The thing he adds to paper when he write is the way he delves into your soul and moves it. Very rare.
The best two stories I found in this book were the turd and the schlong

Yes very provocative, yet extremely
Toshali Gupta
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Best part about these short stories are I could never guess where it was leading to . With simple,subtle twists coming along in just the few lines , you never know and you reach the end of the story.
Alka
Feb 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
bad choice...total waste of time
Kranthi Askani
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
his prose is as good as mcewan's...in fact his short stories are much like mcewan's first 2 collections...i am amazed that hanif kureishi's writing is not as well known as it deserves to be...
Philippe Escaffre
Déclin de l'Occident... ou de l'Angleterre?
Brooks
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Decided not to finish this book. The stories are OK even if the scenarios and the characters are all very similar. In the end just felt life's too short to read any more!
Catharine

• Map of the Heart
  • The Book of Images
  • Open Closed Open
  • The Waves
  • The Hollow (Hercule Poirot, #26)
  • A Soldier of the Great War
  • Atrás da Porta e outras Histórias
  • Fine Just the Way it Is
  • The Best American Short Stories 2018
  • The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)
  • Sally Heathcote: Suffragette
  • Carne Crua
  • Kırmızı Saçlı Kadın
  • Conclave
  • The Dreamer
Hanif Kureishi is the author of novels (including The Buddha of Suburbia, The Black Album and Intimacy), story collections (Love in a Blue Time, Midnight All Day, The Body), plays (including Outskirts, Borderline and Sleep With Me), and screenplays (including My Beautiful Laundrette, My Son the Fanatic and Venus). Among his other publications are the collection of essays Dreaming and Scheming, The ...more