Start by marking “Underwood and Flinch” as Want to Read:
Underwood and Flinch

Underwood and Flinch

(Underwood and Flinch)

For hundreds of years, the first born son of the Flinch family has grown to become servant and guardian to the vampire, Lord Underwood. Then in 1958, Underwood lay down to rest for fifty years, and the world moved on without him. Now, upon arising, Underwood finds the Flinch family is not what it was, and service is the last thing on the mind of his would-be servant.

Underw
Audiobook
Published (first published August 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Underwood and Flinch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underwood and Flinch

Start your review of Underwood and Flinch
Joseph Carson
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best vampire story I've ever read/listened to and perhaps the best of any genre. Mike Bennett is in a class all of his own. Brilliant work ...more
Alaina
Underwood and Flinch was way better than I thought it was going to end up being. One never knows what they are walking into when the book is 500+ pages. So, I was a little hesitant to jump into this one. Yet, I saw that it was on KU and decided to take the risk.

Long story short, I was not disappointed by this one bit. Although, I'll admit that it did take me some time to get into everything. I'd like to blame work for constantly distracting me while I was trying to read this.

I also had no idea
Kimberley
This is an absolutely fabulous work, there aren’t words yet to describe its greatness but I will try.
Mike Bennett is a very talented author and a superb story teller, he knows how to bring his characters to life and he does it exceptionally well, you feel that you know them as real people, their joy will make you smile with them and you will feel their fear and be scared with them, each chapter had me begging for more.
As well as being a well written story the book is also well researched, little
Angi
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am almost done with this book/podcast and it is one of my all time favorites and I have listened to tons of podcasts as that's the only way I can get through a day at work with the humans. I don't generally like vampire books as they are all about the same. But this one snagged me at chapter 1 and I have been listening non-stop. I would also like to mention that the author selected the PERFECT music to accompany his story. I actually went to ITUNES and bought the music that was included with t ...more
#ReadAllTheBooks
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-narrator
It took me a while to get through all of the podcasts for this, partially because I was occasionally swayed by other podiobooks and music. I have to say that the one thing that was consistent throughout the book was Bennett's narration. It's incredibly professional and polished and I think that people would be hard pressed to find many podiobooks out there that are this well done.

The story here is pretty well done as well. I like that Bennett tried to create a vampire that isn't the broody, emo
Isis
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
Lord Underwood is about to rise from his grave in 2008 after a 50-year "sleep" in Spain. David Flinch, a recovering alcoholic and former military paramedic, is dragged (metaphorically) kicking and screaming (not so metaphorically) from his job as an EFL teacher to take up the family tradition as guardian and servant to the vampire. His sister Lydia would rather it be her position, and frankly, David would just as soon it be hers as well. But then...things get complicated.

Sex, violence, murder, R
Antonio
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(Audio review)

Outstanding story, back story, nearly action packed.

All of us have seen or read vampire stories. In most cases they all follow one of two story types. This one is completely different. A story of a honorable yet evil vampire lord rich in culture being lead by his line of blood servants. The characters are all well done with their own goals, desires, and quests. Never a point of confusion and the plot is flat out amazing. Its a great listen and I'm sure an amazing read. If you enjo
Alan Saylor
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is little I can add to what others have already said. This is simply a great book. I don't usually like horror stories, but the quality of the narration, the marvelous accents and voices that Mr. Bennett uses for his characters, and the outstanding audio production of this podcast completely captured me.

The plot and character development is rich and interesting. Just a quick warning: the language is rough in many places and there are sceans of great violence. There are also a few sceans t
Kelly
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: podcasts
I have so much respect for these writers who work hard on their novels and then publish and podcast them for free!

It took me a bit if time to get into this one, but because of Mr Bennett's great voice work and writing, I did get attached to the story and the characters, and I was not quite ready for the story to come to an even after 45 episodes!

I did give some $$ to Mike's IndieGoGo campaign in hopes it will help him gain more time to put out more wonderful books.
Ian Davies
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt the most enjoyable vampire story I have ever read/listened to. I'd go so far as to say that it is one of my all time favourite books of any genre. A wonderful mix of old school scares, humour, and great characterisation makes for the perfect antidote to the twinkling romantic teeny vampire stories that have raised to prominence in recent years.
I first stumbled upon the U&F universe by trying out the audio podcast version and was instantly hooked. The story is brilliantly narrate
Xavier
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This I "consumed" as an audiobook. And the reading was incredible. The author takes you into a good and fresh vampire story. The main character is that "Igor", the human that protects the vampire during the day hours. But he is human so...? What needs to happen is that it is a dynasty that looks over the master. But what happens when the latest of the Flinch sons do not want the responsibility and hates the idea of being the vampire custodian?

Great read
Millie
Nov 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Paula TwoBears
May 16, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Some say the vampire genre is played out —and maybe it is. But it’s impossible not to love “Underwood & flinch.” It’s hard for me to understand how the Twilight series rose to the stratosphere—When a magician of a wordsmith like Mike Bennett languishes, all but unknown ( at least, here in the United States. I think he might be more well-known in his native England ) I don’t know what alchemy of publishing occurs that shoots one vampire novel to the top —and leaves another only selling a few thou ...more
Јордан Коцевски
Aug 22, 2022 rated it really liked it
Mike Bennett is an incredible voice narrator, listing to the audiobook was a great experience (except for the stereotype of giving Russians and Serbians same accent).

However as for the story I felt the pace going down on more than few occasions, and Flinch was annoying in sence of repeating his mistakes and being a constant nomatter the changes he was affected by.
This the 4 stars.
Ketutar Jensen
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
It's not bad, it's just... annoying. The beginning promised me something different than the continuation. To me it feels like the reawakened Lord Underwood is not the same vampire as the one in the preface. I might want to continue it in the future, one day, but not today.

I got to about 40%
Alyson Walton
Apr 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
This was my patreon listening of underground & it did not disappoint! I find this authors work amazing! All the characters are so likeable & the touches of comedy make for *chefs kiss* perfect listening. I CANNOT fault this!
Guillermo
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I never like giving books five stars, but listening to the podiobook has left me in awe. Mike Bennett really brings his characters to life.
Steven Mills
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good! Captivating and exciting but also doesn't take itself too seriously. The characters are what really pull the story through, particularly Underwood himself. ...more
Wendy
Apr 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Amazing novel, refreshing Taste to the vampire genre. Loved it
Daniel
Jul 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Cracking good read! Or listen. I listened to the audio podcast read by the author.
Grace Raynor
Sep 23, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Love this entire series! I cannot wait for more.
D. Henbane
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are no sparkling vampires in here. Just an epic tale of how one unfortunate man became one, and how it affected him throughout the years. The encounter not only influenced his course in life, but also an entire mortal blood line dedicated to serve their Lord Underwood. The vampire role in this novel is clearly influenced by traditional vampire literature. I would honestly say that Mike Bennett's version rivals Bram Stokers tale.

On second thought it may even surpass it. I have not read the
Regina
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Audio podcast

I was looking for an radio/audio drama and figured I'd give his a try. Not a bad story but I felt it could have moved a little faster what with the narrator/author reading/telling the story in an overly drawn out generic British accent at a rather slow pace.

Recovering alcoholic David Flinch finds he's dragged back against his will, into the family role as guardian of a centuries old vampire (Daniel Underwood, who has been "sleeping" for the past 50 years but is due to be w
Andre' Jeanpierre
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel...the words are amiss as to its magnificent splendor..

The last chapter was so gripping, captivating with every page as it climaxed to an astonishing conclusion. Lord Underwood is a far cry from the sunlit bedazzled vampires of current pop culture; a mixture of romanticized yet feared and a dash of sympathy for the devil all rolled up into one.

Mike Bennett has risen to be one of my favorite authors in the wake of reading Underwood and Flinch. His talented ability to bring characters to
Kenn Crawford
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the Podiobook version of the novel and it is an excellent book read by the very talented author, Mike Bennett. The different voices he used for the characters were simply wonderful. I especially enjoyed his Irish accent - Amazing job!
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of zombies, vampires and things that go bump in the night, "Underwood and Flinch" book quickly became one of my favorite vampire stories. The characters are well developed and the dialog is very realistic. His ability
Airy
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a vampire book in ages. Far too many of them get so caught up in the romance of the idea, it loses sight of the actual horror of blood-sucking predators. Underwood & Flinch not only tells a good vampire story, it doesn't shy away from the idea that, yes, if you did encounter a vampire, there is genuine danger involved. There is humor, romance, and adventure mixed in to the story as well. And I loved the growing friendship between the vicious gentleman Underwood and his very reluct ...more
Sherry Ramsey
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Top-notch narration and production on the audiobook, as well as engaging characters, a nicely complex plot, and for the most part, not *too* much blood for me. There were a *few* scenes I hit the fast-forward button on, I'll admit, but the author is kind enough to flag the episodes that will be the most graphic, so a scaredy-cat like me has some warning. :) If you like vampire novels and conflicted characters, especially with a vampire who is charming and amiable as well as evil, this book is de ...more
Bill
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I listened to this story as a free podcast. Michael Bennett did a great job on the voice parts - great story, fast paced and very entertaining. For a podcast it was very long, but never lost my interest and I was anxiously awaiting each new episode. It really reminded me of the old time radio shows I used to listen to as a kid on road trips with my parents. Vampires, Russian Mafia, evil plans gone awry and family betrayal – this one has it all. Very solid 4+ Stars…maybe more…I need to gel on it ...more
Jocelyn Howard
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This was my first REAL vampire novel and I LOVED it! Mike Bennett's writing fulfilled all of my horror, suspense, mystery, humor, and fantasy needs with this story. This book was not simply well written and engaging, but the performance via pod-cast format was spot on! Bennett's ability to perform as both narrator and actor carries the listener straight into a convincing universe filled with slippery morality, adventure, and believable, complex characters.

After listening to Underwood and Flinch
« previous 1 3 next »

• Underwood and Flinch: Blood and Smoke (U&F #2)
  • After the Plague
  • Scorpio
  • Catilina's Riddle (Roma Sub Rosa, #3)
  • Space Team: The Comic Book
  • The Necklace
  • The cat wants kittens
  • Birthday Girl
  • The Golden Illusion
  • 재혼 황후 5 [Jaehon Hwangho 5] (The Remarried Empress, Vol. 5)
  • The Remarried Empress Season 7 (The Remarried Empress, #7)
  • 재혼 황후 4 [Jaehon Hwangho 4] (The Remarried Empress, Vol. 4)
See top shelves…
Mike Bennett is the four-time Parsec Award winning author of Underwood and Flinch, Blood and Smoke, Hall of Mirrors, and One Among the Sleepless. He lives in Wexford, Ireland. Mike likes immersing himself in all kinds of horror and thriller stories. He also likes traditional pubs, cooking, and ventriloquism - as long as the doll's eyes don't start following him around the room.

Amazon profile (http

Underwood and Flinch (5 books)
  • Resurrection (Underwood and Flinch #1)
  • Bonded in Blood (Underwood and Flinch #2)
  • Disturbing the Devil: An Underwood and Flinch Stand-Alone Short Story (The Underwood and Flinch Saga)
  • Underwood and Flinch: Blood and Smoke (U&F #2)