Start by marking “Underwood and Flinch” as Want to Read:
Underwood and Flinch

Underwood and Flinch

For hundreds of years, the first born son of the Flinch family has grown to become servant and guardian to the vampire, Lord Underwood. Then in 1958, Underwood lay down to rest for fifty years, and the world moved on without him. Now, upon arising, Underwood finds the Flinch family is not what it was, and service is the last thing on the mind of his would-be servant.

Audiobook
Published (first published August 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Underwood and Flinch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underwood and Flinch

Start your review of Underwood and Flinch
Joseph Carson
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best vampire story I've ever read/listened to and perhaps the best of any genre. Mike Bennett is in a class all of his own. Brilliant work
Randolph
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, horror
It's 2008 and Lord Underwood has risen from the grave in Spain after 50 years. Alcoholic former medic David Flinch is poised, however reluctantly, to take his familial place as mortal guardian to Lord Underwood. But wait, Lord Underwood must feed of course and how to dispose of all those bodies, or do we really need to? And what about the Sect and David's sister who desperately wants Lord Underwood to turn her into a vampire? Then there are all those pesky Russian mobsters looking to avenge a ...more
Kimberley
This is an absolutely fabulous work, there aren’t words yet to describe its greatness but I will try.
Mike Bennett is a very talented author and a superb story teller, he knows how to bring his characters to life and he does it exceptionally well, you feel that you know them as real people, their joy will make you smile with them and you will feel their fear and be scared with them, each chapter had me begging for more.
As well as being a well written story the book is also well researched, little
Chibineko
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-narrator
It took me a while to get through all of the podcasts for this, partially because I was occasionally swayed by other podiobooks and music. I have to say that the one thing that was consistent throughout the book was Bennett's narration. It's incredibly professional and polished and I think that people would be hard pressed to find many podiobooks out there that are this well done.

The story here is pretty well done as well. I like that Bennett tried to create a vampire that isn't the broody, emo
Isis
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
Lord Underwood is about to rise from his grave in 2008 after a 50-year "sleep" in Spain. David Flinch, a recovering alcoholic and former military paramedic, is dragged (metaphorically) kicking and screaming (not so metaphorically) from his job as an EFL teacher to take up the family tradition as guardian and servant to the vampire. His sister Lydia would rather it be her position, and frankly, David would just as soon it be hers as well. But then...things get complicated.

Sex, violence, murder,
Angi
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am almost done with this book/podcast and it is one of my all time favorites and I have listened to tons of podcasts as that's the only way I can get through a day at work with the humans. I don't generally like vampire books as they are all about the same. But this one snagged me at chapter 1 and I have been listening non-stop. I would also like to mention that the author selected the PERFECT music to accompany his story. I actually went to ITUNES and bought the music that was included with ...more
Alan Saylor
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is little I can add to what others have already said. This is simply a great book. I don't usually like horror stories, but the quality of the narration, the marvelous accents and voices that Mr. Bennett uses for his characters, and the outstanding audio production of this podcast completely captured me.

The plot and character development is rich and interesting. Just a quick warning: the language is rough in many places and there are sceans of great violence. There are also a few sceans
Antonio
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(Audio review)

Outstanding story, back story, nearly action packed.

All of us have seen or read vampire stories. In most cases they all follow one of two story types. This one is completely different. A story of a honorable yet evil vampire lord rich in culture being lead by his line of blood servants. The characters are all well done with their own goals, desires, and quests. Never a point of confusion and the plot is flat out amazing. Its a great listen and I'm sure an amazing read. If you
Kelly
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: podcasts
I have so much respect for these writers who work hard on their novels and then publish and podcast them for free!

It took me a bit if time to get into this one, but because of Mr Bennett's great voice work and writing, I did get attached to the story and the characters, and I was not quite ready for the story to come to an even after 45 episodes!

I did give some $$ to Mike's IndieGoGo campaign in hopes it will help him gain more time to put out more wonderful books.
Ian Davies
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt the most enjoyable vampire story I have ever read/listened to. I'd go so far as to say that it is one of my all time favourite books of any genre. A wonderful mix of old school scares, humour, and great characterisation makes for the perfect antidote to the twinkling romantic teeny vampire stories that have raised to prominence in recent years.
I first stumbled upon the U&F universe by trying out the audio podcast version and was instantly hooked. The story is brilliantly
Xavier
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This I "consumed" as an audiobook. And the reading was incredible. The author takes you into a good and fresh vampire story. The main character is that "Igor", the human that protects the vampire during the day hours. But he is human so...? What needs to happen is that it is a dynasty that looks over the master. But what happens when the latest of the Flinch sons do not want the responsibility and hates the idea of being the vampire custodian?

Great read
Steven Mills
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good! Captivating and exciting but also doesn't take itself too seriously. The characters are what really pull the story through, particularly Underwood himself.
Guillermo
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I never like giving books five stars, but listening to the podiobook has left me in awe. Mike Bennett really brings his characters to life.
D. Henbane
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are no sparkling vampires in here. Just an epic tale of how one unfortunate man became one, and how it affected him throughout the years. The encounter not only influenced his course in life, but also an entire mortal blood line dedicated to serve their Lord Underwood. The vampire role in this novel is clearly influenced by traditional vampire literature. I would honestly say that Mike Bennett's version rivals Bram Stokers tale.

On second thought it may even surpass it. I have not read the
Regina
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Audio podcast

I was looking for an radio/audio drama and figured I'd give his a try. Not a bad story but I felt it could have moved a little faster what with the narrator/author reading/telling the story in an overly drawn out generic British accent at a rather slow pace.

Recovering alcoholic David Flinch finds he's dragged back against his will, into the family role as guardian of a centuries old vampire (Daniel Underwood, who has been "sleeping" for the past 50 years but is due to be
Andre' Jeanpierre
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel...the words are amiss as to its magnificent splendor..

The last chapter was so gripping, captivating with every page as it climaxed to an astonishing conclusion. Lord Underwood is a far cry from the sunlit bedazzled vampires of current pop culture; a mixture of romanticized yet feared and a dash of sympathy for the devil all rolled up into one.

Mike Bennett has risen to be one of my favorite authors in the wake of reading Underwood and Flinch. His talented ability to bring characters to
Kenn Crawford
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the Podiobook version of the novel and it is an excellent book read by the very talented author, Mike Bennett. The different voices he used for the characters were simply wonderful. I especially enjoyed his Irish accent - Amazing job!
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of zombies, vampires and things that go bump in the night, "Underwood and Flinch" book quickly became one of my favorite vampire stories. The characters are well developed and the dialog is very realistic. His ability
Sherry Ramsey
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Top-notch narration and production on the audiobook, as well as engaging characters, a nicely complex plot, and for the most part, not *too* much blood for me. There were a *few* scenes I hit the fast-forward button on, I'll admit, but the author is kind enough to flag the episodes that will be the most graphic, so a scaredy-cat like me has some warning. :) If you like vampire novels and conflicted characters, especially with a vampire who is charming and amiable as well as evil, this book is ...more
Jevgeni
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well what a journey that was I must say. I actually listened to an audiobook of this wonderful story and in time I will read it again on pages. It is to me at least, the best vampire novel ever written to that day. People who like a classic approach to vampires so to speak will definitely find this book a fascinating read indeed. Of course this book is intended to an adult listeners but there is no more violence than in any other popular TV series which are shown on tv these days. I would only ...more
Jocelyn Howard
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This was my first REAL vampire novel and I LOVED it! Mike Bennett's writing fulfilled all of my horror, suspense, mystery, humor, and fantasy needs with this story. This book was not simply well written and engaging, but the performance via pod-cast format was spot on! Bennett's ability to perform as both narrator and actor carries the listener straight into a convincing universe filled with slippery morality, adventure, and believable, complex characters.

After listening to Underwood and
Airy
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a vampire book in ages. Far too many of them get so caught up in the romance of the idea, it loses sight of the actual horror of blood-sucking predators. Underwood & Flinch not only tells a good vampire story, it doesn't shy away from the idea that, yes, if you did encounter a vampire, there is genuine danger involved. There is humor, romance, and adventure mixed in to the story as well. And I loved the growing friendship between the vicious gentleman Underwood and his very ...more
Bill
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I listened to this story as a free podcast. Michael Bennett did a great job on the voice parts - great story, fast paced and very entertaining. For a podcast it was very long, but never lost my interest and I was anxiously awaiting each new episode. It really reminded me of the old time radio shows I used to listen to as a kid on road trips with my parents. Vampires, Russian Mafia, evil plans gone awry and family betrayal – this one has it all. Very solid 4+ Stars…maybe more…I need to gel on it ...more
Gary
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: podiobooks
I don't know what I liked better about this book: the story (about the decent human being that finds himself having to be the "Renfield" for a vampire) or the performance. Mike Bennett is, in a word, phenomenal at reading, at least his own work.

The voices are distinct and even little things like certain odd pronunciations are unique to each characer. You can easily tell who is speaking at any given moment throughout.

Very well done.
Linda
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is cold and scary at the furthest edge of the internet. This story follows that of David, a nice guy with a family issue; his sister, a unique character indeed and another bloke. Can't say any more. Please pick this one up and discover the plot page by page.

Just to let you know (July 2012) Mike Bennett (author) is registered at indiegogo to raise funds so as to get Underwood and Flinch into print. Please help like I did!
Lyndaa
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! A lot of action and humour in this book. You can't help admiring the Lord Underwood even if he can be a bit evil and scary at times, he's not all bad. The other characters in the book had well developed personalities and they all tied in together really well.

I heard it on podcast and looked forward to each episode, and I was never disappointed. The time, effort and attention to detail Mike Bennett put into this book is amazing.
Danforth Morrigan
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Bennett is one of the best multi-voice narrators I've heard, right up there with Cayenne Chris Conroy. Because of that, it is a bit hard for me to say how much of my enjoyment was for his writing and how much was for his reading. Either way, this was some damn good old-school-with-a-fresh-twist vampire action.
Renee
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Coley1116
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Vampire stories i have ever read/listen to. The very real reactions of the characters allows for equal doses of horror, humor and excitement. No shimmers, no teenage angst, no over the top craziness, just great writing and even better execution. Definitly a book to be put in rotation.
Ross
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun and very engaging, with excellent narration by the author Mike Bennett. There were some details of the plot/characterization that didn't seem to fit properly, but overall I really enjoyed this novel. I would recommend listening to the book over reading it - Bennett does a great job creating individual voices for each character that bring the story to life.
Whitney
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great old-school style vampire story. The five stars is for the podcast version, as Mike Bennett is a fantastic reader. Great assortment of characters that all come together in a ripping good yarn. The podcast is available for free. I recommend starting with the short story "Night Crossing", which is an excellent introduction to the world of the novel.

• Underwood and Flinch: Blood and Smoke (U&F #2)
  • Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1)
  • Nocturnal
  • Earthcore
  • 7th Son:  Descent (7th Son, #1)
  • The Leviathan Chronicles
  • 7th Son: Deceit (7th Son, #2)
  • In Ashes Born (A Seeker's Tale From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper Book 1)
  • Alive (The Generations Trilogy, #1)
  • Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation
  • We're Alive: A Story of Survival, the First Season
  • The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1)
  • Infected (Infected, #1)
  • The Sword Maker
  • The Touchstone
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth
  • The Charm School
  • Handbook for the Criminally Insane
Mike Bennett is the four-time Parsec Award winning author of Underwood and Flinch, Blood and Smoke, Hall of Mirrors, and One Among the Sleepless. He lives in Wexford, Ireland. Mike likes immersing himself in all kinds of horror and thriller stories. He also likes traditional pubs, cooking, and ventriloquism - as long as the doll's eyes don't start following him around the room.

Amazon profile (