Start by marking “Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother” as Want to Read:
Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother

Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother

The fairytale ending was just the beginning?Jessie Woods absolutely believes in fairytale endings. So would you if you had a recession-proof career as a daredevil TV host, a palatial pink mansion, and the dream boyfriend.But, quicker than you can say Cinderella, her life falls to pieces and suddenly her prince isn't quite so charming, her party-loving friends disappear and ...more
Published May 3rd 2010 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother

Start your review of Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother
Sara
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. Funny, fast paced, and Cinderella themed. It’s a fall-hard-then-pick-up-the-pieces-and-get-even-better sort of book. The ending is fairly (ah, ah, sorry for the bad joke) predictable, but the story is not banal, and you still get some surprises.
However, the Cinderella theme stops at the fact that the heroine has a step-mother and two step-sisters she doesn’t really get along with. Considering the title of the book I had expected some fairy magic to be involved, but no.
Moon Love
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I love the story of Cinderella and most girls do too. We love HEAs and Prince Charming(s). In this book, I loved Cinderella less, and her step family more! This ia a hilarious modern retelling, where the "nasty" step-family stole the show.

Jessie Woods is living her dream. She's got a fantastic job on TV, she's got a gorgeous man who's nuts for her, and she's living the high life (while she freaks out over credit card bills). Due to a live, on air mistake, all of a sudden she has nothing. No job,
Cherrie
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, it's a fast easy read and a definite page turner.
If you like the confession of a shopaholic books you will like this one as it's the same writing style.
I'd say it's a loose retelling of cinderella and has a great twist to it, I'll definitely be looking for more books by this author

I've also done a review on Youtube about this book
Book review
Damelapin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Honestly I hated the first half of the book. Nearly put it down. I couldn’t warm to Jessie, found her deluded.
But the second half turned really nicely!
Leah
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessie Woods is a modern day Cinderella: she lives in a fabulous pink ‘palazzo’, has her very own TV show as a daredevil and has managed to bag herself her very own Prince Charming in the shape of Sam. However before you can say ‘fairytale ending’, Jessie finds herself jobless, friendless, boyfriend-less and moneyless all within the space of a couple of days. There’s only one thing Jessie can do, and that’s to swallow her pride and go back to her childhood home, to stay with her evil step-mother ...more
Lamya
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Pia
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Any story that begins with “Once Upon a Time,” captures my insatiable interest. Jessie Woods aptly compares herself to the story of Cinderella. From the early death of her mother, her father remarries Joan who has two daughters, both are older than Jessie, Maggie and Sharon. Then the story becomes more evidently similar to the fairytale especially after the unforeseen death of Jessie’s father….

The actual story begins right when Jessie is in the middle of an interview which is clear to the
Samantha March
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
What girl doesn’t love the Cinderella fairy tale? A young woman coming from nothing, living with her horrible stepmother and retched step-sisters, only to fall madly in love with Prince Charming and live happily ever after. Jessie Woods believes her life rivals the one of Cinderella. She didn’t have much as a child, but with the love and support from her father, she determinedly made something of herself. Working as a daredevil TV host, living in a mansion, and dating one of the most eligible ...more
Saima
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
It was slow to start with and Jessie was hardly likeable at times, but it had a good ending! I love Steve of course, and it was entirely cliche, but I also love a good cliche so that's alright.

There were some annoying parts though, and here come some SPOILERS!
1. I don't like that she went back to Channel Six; hasn't she had enough of that world?
2. I don't like that she was made to seem like a nice person but she was quite mean herself! I mean I get that her stepsisters were horrible to her but
Ipshita

All that internal monologue in the first 50 or so pages gave me a raging headache. I’m not saying it was all boring, but the fact is that the protagonist Jessie Woods has a habit of saying ten different things before she can actually come to her point.
Also, the fact that the same sentiment kept being repeated in different (admittedly, humorous) ways felt redundant to me. She kept moaning about what could have been instead of trying to do anything, and that really didn’t help my weariness.
Fairytalecritic
Read my full review, including spoilers, here: http://fairytalecritic.tumblr.com/pos...

Spoiler-free version:

The book begins by introducing us to our main character, Jessie Woods. Jessie is a TV personality with her own show, Jessie Would, which is a show where the audience members dare her to do things. She’s dating the handsome and rich Sam Hughes, an entrepreneur, and they are apparently one of one of the tabloids’ favorite couples to gossip about.

Jessie’s own personal back story is strikingly
Rachelle Ayala
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this Cinderella story in reverse. Jessie Woods seemed to have it all--a fairy tale pink mansion, star in her own reality show, a billionaire boyfriend, trendy vacations, flashy friends, and posh lifestyle. Only, she's up to her ears in debt. The plumbing on her downstairs loo doesn't work and her car gets repossessed.

Suddenly, she finds herself fired amidst a media storm and has to go back home to her frosty stepmother and two couch potato stepsisters who hate her. Since she'd dead
Louise Culmer
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Jessie is a television presenter who loses her job for a reason so stupid it is hard to believe (how could she not know she wasn't supposed to do that? why wasn't it in her contract?). She's is massively in debt and loses her posh house because she hasn't paid the rent for months. And her glamorous, ambitious boyfriend dumps her because she isn't successful any more. At this point I am already sick of Jessie who seems to me a very tiresome character, but fortunately she is forced to move back ...more
Stephanie Pâquet
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed reading Meet me in Manhattan and In a NY Minute from Carroll so I was looking forward to reading this one, as the premise seems fun! But...
gosh.
I think the only reason I kept reading was because I expected something major/surprising to happen eventually as, imo, it was a very slow-build after she got fired. But nope.
Also, the lead character started out the story being really mean and I get it, it was a carapace, but I felt like still, after all, she was still pretty much a
Cindy
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, chicklit
It did take me some to get into this story, even put the book away and started reading other things, because of the first chapters.

But at some point I picked the book up again and after her world came crashing down and her moving back to her old house I started enjoying reading it.
Especially when she really picked herself up and started building up things again.

Liked the end.

But not a book I would read a second time.
Sara Eames
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A light-hearted, predictable book with no surprises but still a good read. Ok, so there are no plot surprises - in fact, almost as soon as a character is introduced, you can work out how he/she is going to fit in with Jessie's life. However, if you need something that definitely won't tax your brain but is still in enjoyable, then this could be the book for you. I would recommend it to all fans of the chick-lit genre.
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time getting into this book at first. It took me awhile to warm up to the story. It was a little boring at times but I’m glad I persisted and kept on reading. Funny, realistic at times and definitely Cinderella back words. I’m glad things turned out for the best for Jessie as she deserved good things.
jo freeman
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irritatingly good in a fairy tale way ...more
Sarah Mazdon
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
very good easy read
Nicki
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cheesier than a plate full of nacho’s, but warm and funny.
So nice to see I can still enjoy a good chick lit.
Zoe
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A very cute, light read.

Jessie Woods has it all on the outside, her own TV show, a rich and gorgeous boyfriend and a credit card with no limits. Behind the scenes of her extravagant life, she is stone-broke, on the brink of bankruptcy and far from the celebrity she portrays.
Faced with losing it all, we follow Jessie on her journey from famous TV star to flipping burgers and living with her hostile step family. And of course, throw in an unexpected romance for good measure - you've got yourself
Sinead
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Cinderella is one of my favourite fairy tales, and the Disney version is one of my favourite movies. And I'd previously read a fantastic Cinderella retelling (Cinder by Marissa Meyer – read it if you haven’t already!) so I had high hopes for another modern take on this classic tale.

While I won’t say I'm disappointed with this book, I can’t honestly say it was a great retelling of Cinderella. It was good; don’t get me wrong, just... not great.

Our main character (or Cinderella) is Jessie Woods,
Rosie
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
I have no idea where to begin with this. I picked this book off the shelf as I thought it would be an interesting read and I was completely correct. I was on a trip to Alabama and when I was in the hotel room I'd pick it up and then find that I couldn't even put it down!

I always loved Fairytales and all the Disney Princess films. Although sometimes when a story is linked to Cinderella it's the classic evil step family and in the end Cinderella gets her Prince Charming and it's pretty textbook
Caoimhe Levins
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read from start to finish.
Aoife
I have come to realise that I will always enjoy a book written by Claudia Carroll. She has a great way of making characters come vividly to life right away, they basically jump out from between the pages and give you a big hug. All of her characters have a great likeability, even the ones with the not-so redeeming qualities such as Maggie and Sharon.

Jessie, who is quite selfish and often very dim-witted should be a character you don't really like but you can't help but feel for her. You root
Dawn Probert
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this and read it in an evening over a stormy night. It was a lovely read.
Kate’s Book Spot
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having read and enjoyed four other books from Claudia Carroll, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?, I Never Fancied Him Anyway, Do You Want To Know a Secret and Remind Me Again Why I Need a Man?, I spotted this book when I was out and about (somehow I found myself in a bookshop….. again) and just had to get it! I really love the title and the cover too – anything with shiny writing will always grab my attention.

This really is a Cinderella type story, at the beginning Jessie leads a crazy fast paced
Nash Norden
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I am absolutely in love with the title and the cover. Personally I Blame My Fairy Godmother is a modern Cinderella story with a bit twist! Jessie was a fan of ‘happily ever after’ and she worked hard to achieve her own happiness after her father died. Jessie figured out that fame was the key to her new world and work as a TV host. But when she accepted an offer to a free car in her TV show, she was fired. With no job and money to pay for her lifestyle, she was forced to go ...more
Agi
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Let me tell you that I love the cover of the book. It's so, so nice, I am a sucker for such covers. Secondly, the title doesn't suit the book at all, what has a Fairy Godmother to do with this book??? But all the rest is just brilliant.
First I though, Oh no, not a heroine with financial problems, with debts up to her nose again! It took a little time before I warmed to Jessie, she was so, so childish at the beginning, so naive, she couldn't believe that it's over between her and whatshisname
AvonBooksUK
The fairytale ending was just the beginning…

But, quicker than you can say Cinderella, her life falls to pieces and suddenly her prince isn't quite so charming, her party-loving friends disappear and even her faithful friend Visa no longer loves her…

Utterly heartbroken and jobless, Jessie is forced back home, to live with
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Christmas at Mistletoe Cove (Hope Island #3)
  • To the Moon and Back
  • Christmas at Lilac Cottage (White Cliff Bay #1)
  • The Only Way Is Up
  • From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Actually, #1)
  • Girl on the Run
  • Five Years From Now
  • The Ice Cream Girls
  • The Perfect Present
  • A Day Late and a Dollar Short
  • The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Body & Soul (The Ghost and the Goth, #3)
  • Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1)
  • Just One Wish
  • So Over You
Claudia was born in Dublin and is a graduate of UCD, the College of Music and of the Gaiety School of Acting. Since then she has worked extensively as an actress on the Irish stage, but is probably best known for her role as TV’s Nicola Prendergast in the long running Dublin soap opera, ‘Fair City.’