Start by marking “Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community” as Want to Read:
Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community

Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community

When parents work in tandem with the faith community to raise their children, they increase their parenting capacity exponentially.

Most parents have so many demands on their time that they can't be the kind of parent they desire to be. They need to know the Orange Factor: Two "combined" influences will make a greater impact on kids than just two influences. And it's true.
Published May 1st 2010 by David C Cook

To ask other readers questions about Parenting Beyond Your Capacity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting Beyond Your Capacity

Start your review of Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community
Jeff
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-book-list
Such an encouraging, enlightening and challenging book. Some take-aways:

* What matters more than anything is that my kids have an authentic relationship with God.
* My wife and I are not the only adult influences my children need.
* My children need to know I will never stop fighting for a right relationship with them.
* My relationship with God and with my wife affects my children more than I realize.
* Just being together can never substitute for interacting together in a meaningful way.

YOUR
Jason Graves
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book five stars, not because it exhibits masterful writing or ultra-profound insight, but rather because it stands out among the countless parenting books I've read. It comes across as an honest attempt to move away from the polarizing issues that often bog down parenting classes and discussions toward a short list of vital principles that serve as the driving force behaind the decisions we make as parents. Joiner and Nieuwhof both have accessible writing styles. In fact, there ...more
Franklin Wood
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This one needs to be owned by every parent, teacher, youth minister, and anyone else that works with parents and kids in a faith-based environment! The authors start off by giving tremendous hope that parents do NOT have to be perfect! The goal of parenting is NOT to have perfect parenting skills, but to point your children toward God's love.
Even broken and dysfunctional families can find hope within these pages.
Some chapter topics include: Connecting your kids with adult mentors, Setting the
Curtismchale
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are three big takeaways for me from this excellent book by Carey and Reggie.

1. You can't do it alone. Get others around you to invest in you and your family because there are some things that kids just can't discuss with mom and dad.

2. Don't substitute 'quality' for quantity. Quality time with your kids/family can only come inside a quantity of time and the relationship that brings. So regularly spend time with your family so you can get to the quality time you desire.

3. Take care of
Brandon Bonville
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book! If you are looking to expand thinking on parenting and partnering with parents, this is a great book. Sticky faith and Growing with, also expand on these ideas in even more detail!
John
Jun 05, 2012 is currently reading it
Quotes that stood out to me as I read:
FOREWARD
"Anyone can have a child; being a parent takes hard work and prayer." (pg. 13)

"A hundred years from now, your great-grandchildren probably won't even know your name. No one will care about what awards you won or how much money you made. The only thing that will matter is what kind of children you left behind and their influence on subsequent generations." (pg. 14)

INTRODUCTION
"One of the greatest ways you can impact the life of your child is to become
Philip
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, teachers, pastors
Recommended to Philip by: Collie Coburn
This is a good encouragement to parents reminding us to take a step back from the everyday and think about our long term goals as parents. We need to be reminded that our end goal is not simply to protect our kids until they are old enough to go out on their own, but to continuously train them how to live.

The Orange Principle is that the greatest influence on our children is when parents and church work in cooperation towards the same goals. We can be aware of more natural opportunities in day
Jacki
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am not a parent. I am not even married or close to being married. I read this book with my church as part of a leadership growth activity. That said, I thought this book had a lot to offer. It's not a "this is how you discipline your kids," or "psychiatrists agree that carrots are best for your kid's health." Instead, it breaks down Deuteronomy 6 to reveal what Moses (speaking on behalf of God) has to say about raising kids in Christ.

I love Deuteronomy 6 and Reggie Joiner and Carey Neiuwhof
Liz
I gave this book only 3 * because I think the overall advice I was already familiar with from reading the authors' blog and other parent material from them. Having said that, this is a good parenting book about big picture stuff - things to start with in your strategy as a parent and then drill down to the "how" elsewhere. I appreciated that because I never once got that icky feeling I usually do with parenting books... That guilt or frustration of finding out things I might be doing wrong. The ...more
Brett Hemphill
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When my pastor told our staff that we were going to read this book together, I thought that the stage of life that my wife and I were at with our children, we just did not need the principles of this book. I thought it was too late. WOW! Was I ever wrong. Everyone needs to read this book! Especially if you want to be a person that desires to be a part of changing a culture, a generation! It's so refreshing to see a clear picture of how the church can partner with the family. There is so much ...more
Melissa Stinnett
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Encouraging book on how to reach out and find others to help you parent, focusing on mentoring and the local church. Premise is to find others to walk along side of you while you are parenting your children. Glean information from people who have walked in your shoes before. Reach out to others who might mentor you and someone to mentor your child. Your children might speak to others about somethings that they might not speak to you about, especially in teenage years, so find quality, godly ...more
Eric
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has much to offer in the way of practical advice for parents, particularly but not exclusively Christian parents, in relating to their children in a manner designed to impart spiritual upbringing to them. It has a set of discussion questions with each chapter that lend the book to work as a small group study. Clearly worth further review.
Adam Roberson
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an unbelievable book on parenting. Every parent should read this one. Here are some take always:

- Your child will need other voices in his or her life saying the same things you are saying as a parent.
- Never quit fighting for your relationship with your child.
- The best thing you can give your child is a healthy relationship with God and your spouse.
Carrie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Some very good concepts for parents in this book. Most of which are geared towards older kids than mine (toddlers) but good to start practicing now. I felt the book could've been much shorter (not even a book?) as they made their point, told a personal story (which I loved) but then repeated themselves to fill up the chapter (in my opinion)
Stacie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Such a worthwhile read! I don't know that I've ever finished a parenting book feeling so excited, encouraged, and empowered. The authors impart a strong sense of, "You can do this, because it's not all on you." Absolutely practical applications, incredibly freeing perspective. Especially applicable for parents of children who are getting older and gaining more independence (middle school and up).
Lee
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
there's a lot of overlapping parenting material here with other Orange & ParentCue resources, so if you've read the other stuff, this may be a skippable book for you. but if this is your first introduction to these orgs, then it's probably a great introduction.
Michael
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read
A great read about what you should really be focusing on when raising your kids. Protection is not what they need most to be pointed to something greater than themselves found in God. Highly recommend this for anyone with kids.
Lydia
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked it - it's a book I'll need to read over and over. I like how it emphasizes the importance of intentional routine. It's definitely something I'll be thinking about and trying to do better in my own family's life.
Del
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good. Glad to be part of a church that promotes this kind of culture. Especially liked the concept of "bigger story" versus "better picture"
Russell Anderson
The principals in this book were good but the authors are extremely long winded and like to reiterate every point. Because of that I found it to be less than an engaging read.
Chris Augustat
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We used this as a sermon series . Great small group discussion book. No guilt trips in this book.
Brett
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read! This is a great encouragement and help for parents. Definitely worth reading again.
I would leave a quote, but there are too many good ones ...too difficult to chose.
Stacey Hensley
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Must read for parents or parents to be.
Heather J
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book, quick read speaking to the importance for having other trusted adults speaking into the lives of our children.
Joe Cox
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book does not guarantee you will be a great parent but if you do don't adopt these five principles you never will be a great parent.
Robyn Hattingh
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some great thought provoking ideas!
Kris Stoner
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the best parenting books I've read.
Shawna Berg
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this five stars because it is an easy to read helpful book for parents. Great for small group ministry with parents - a great read for all parents.
Rob Martin
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very practical and offers a lot of good insight.
Rocky Ryser
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Action steps to raise your children to be adult friend of their parents. Donald Miller story in the last chapter is worth reading the whole book.

• Didn't See It Coming: Overcoming the Seven Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences
  • Leading Change Without Losing It: Five Strategies That Can Revolutionize How You Lead Change When Facing Opposition
  • It's Just A Phase So Don't Miss It
  • Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids
  • Multiply: Disciples Making Disciples
  • More Than a Carpenter
  • Lasting Impact: 7 Powerful Conversations That Will Help Your Church Grow
  • God and the Transgender Debate: What does the Bible actually say about gender identity?
  • Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading (Spiritual Theology #2)
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • Understanding Gender Dysphoria: Navigating Transgender Issues in a Changing Culture
  • The Volunteer Project: Stop Recruiting. Start Retaining.
  • A Little Book for New Theologians: Why and How to Study Theology (Little Books)
  • Growing Young: Six Essential Strategies to Help Young People Discover and Love Your Church
  • Refuel: An Uncomplicated Guide to Connecting with God
  • Growing With: Every Parent's Guide to Helping Teenagers and Young Adults Thrive in Their Faith, Family, and Future
  • Not Normal: 7 Quirks of Incredible Volunteers
Reggie Joiner is the founder and CEO of Orange, a non-profit organization whose purpose is to influence those who influence the next generation. Author of more than 30 books, including Think Orange, Seven Practices of Effective Ministry, and Lead Small. Reggie has changed the way churches and organizations create environments for and equip leaders, parents, and the next generation. Orange partners ...more
“No one has more potential to influence your child than you.” 1 likes
“Sometimes, we forget the essence of parenting is really about nurturing critical connections that affect every child’s future.” 0 likes