Start by marking “Master of Dragons” as Want to Read:
Master of Dragons

Master of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy #3)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  910 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The third and concluding volume to Margaret Weis's spectacular Dragonvarld fantasy trilogy,Master of Dragons.

They were twin brothers, the offspring of Dragon magic, one raised in court, the other in hiding. But, the link that exists between them will not be broken by mere distance, and in the very duality of their origin lies mankind's hope for peace and safety.

When two re
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Master of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of Dragons

Rebecca
May 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: furries possibly?
Shelves: weird-sex-scene
The Dragonvarld Trilogy
I'm sure this is someone's fetish.

Before I get into talking about the story itself, I just want to say that this book has one of the more nonsensical covers I've seen for a fantasy novel. I get that slapping a dragon on a cover is a real marketing technique for this genre (and I have read books based on how cool the dragon looked, like Dragonsbane and Dragon Wing) but it's still really funny to have this large, looming dragon just kind of...stand there and wait while a ti
Bukcrz
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, dragons, a-z-2016
Note to self: story was good until the epilogue. I wish I did not read the epilogue because instead of the backstabber getting a comeuppance, she was given more opportunity to ruin more lives.
If I ever pick up another book from this author, I hope I'll remember how she treats her bad guys.
Corinne :)
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I was bored. The story went on too long. Nothing amazing was introduced in the third book and conflict resolution wasn't exciting. There was resolution but I see no reason why it needed to be spread out among three books. I would not recommend the trilogy to anyone.

I can't figure out the cover either. Doesn't match the story. I see Draconas & Sorrow I believe. Who is the male & what is Sorrow doing? I don't remember her doing anything like that in the book.
Mandy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I wish the writer would have taken a bit more time for the end battle. A build up of three books and then it was over in a flash. I was really looking forward to the dragons fighting, too bad...

So overall 2,5-3 stars for the trilogy and kind of a meh-feeling after reading.
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Master of Dragons, the final book in Margaret Weis's Dragonvarld trilogy was a tasty but sloppy finale -- like a cheesecake that didn't quite set.

This last book wraps things up, as we knew it would, and everything is finally well in the world, as we knew it would be. There are some fine moments (Draconas showing tenderness to a female dragon, Ven finds a family, Marcus falls in love) and even some hilarious ones (Draconas darning socks, Evelina's
Emily Williams
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping that I would be able to give this book 4 stars instead of 5 so that it wouldn't look like I'm mindlessly fangirling about the series. However, any flaws in this iteration of the series (and indeed, the series as a whole) are largely outweighed by all the parts that shine flawlessly.

One thing I particularly enjoyed in this book is that Weis doesn't hold the hand of her reader- at several points there are cases of mistaken identity, and while it is easy to glean from context clues wh
Josh
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Josh by: 1
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I didn't go in expecting much so I guess I couldn't have been too disappointed. I was glad that most characters were actually able to pull their heads out and start realizing what was going on (view spoiler)
I very much enjoyed the conclusion of Evelinas fate at first but really wish Weis would have done more (view spoiler)
Scott
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wrapped up the Dragonvarld trilogy quite nicely. I have to agree with the others that the cover doesn't match any of the events in the story. I would say that the guy is Leopold fighting Sorrow and the dragon is Draconas. Nearly all the threads in this story was tied up nicely. I enjoyed most of the characters in this one and it was nice that Ven found a family. The character of Evelina was more likable in this one, but I thought her fate was too harsh. The character must have been the ...more
Liszi
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the plot of the entire trilogy was very interesting however, I do not think it should be a trilogy. This would have been much better if it would have just been two books. The third book was extremely slow. It felt like she was dragging it out just to make it a third book. Also, the ending of this book was terrible. I didnt care what happened to the stupid girl. I was more concerned about the actual main characters.
Beverly K
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I greatly enjoyed this book, there were moments in here in which I had to cringe. It seemed all too contrived (particularly with the role Anora played) and it also wrapped up far too quickly.

I feel like this would have worked rather well as part of a larger book or, indeed, continued with another trilogy, because a few things were left undone.

Overall, though, I loved the series.
Bob Wind
This was a really weak ending to the trilogy. *Spoiler* What was with following the girl to the monastery at the end? I would much rather have read about the wedding. The ending was so abrupt that I finished the book and went to the library to get the next book in the series. I love Margaret Weis, and the writing in this book was good, but it really left me wanting.
Matthew Holloway
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book much more than the second in the series. The story wasn't as slow, and it melded back into a single storyline. Also, Margaret Weis chose to leave out a lot of side events so that they could be a surprise to the reader and characters alike, when the time to reveal them came. An enjoyable conclusion to a good trilogy.
LeBoldus Librarian
Overall, I found this series to be an entertaining diversion, but I did not find it as engaging as other trilogies that I have read. Although the world is well conceptualized, I found the characters to be quite predictable. Evelina, in particular, did not resonate much with me.
T J
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragon's sons have found each other and now have to deal with the mess their father as caused. In their own way they work to make their world a safe place to live. This is high adventure to the max, with magic, dragons and mystery. This has more twist and turns then a snakes belly.
Angelica Taggart
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sort of sad to see this series end. What happens to Marcus and Ven as they grow older?

Wies kept my interest through out this whole series. For me it was a new world, and new kinds of characters, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Going to have to some of her other books.
A.B. Shepherd
I read book one of the series, but skipped book two. This is book three. I don't feel like I missed anything by skipping book two. This book has lots of action, a little romance and a satisfying conclusion.
Elar
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Every time it felt like story would end it got a new spin. But the spin was not a good one, it did not felt organic at all.
Loomy Mišurda
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice ending of the trilogy. Everything coming together for a final battle.
And funny enough that even Evelina had come to play her important part.
Scott Block
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-cover
Like her Dragonlance books, I could read them forever! I wish this tale kept going as well. I place it as my number three most favorite trilogy, behind The Lord of the Rings and The IronTower.
Brian
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting conclusion to a dull lead in. The characters were able to finally get a grasp on what was going on and bring this story to glorious ending.
Jessica
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2015
i
MarsianMan
The characters realistically bumble around and try their best. The series is average at best.
CJ Gosling
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying finish to a romping trilogy. I really enjoyed Margaret Weis' take on classic fantasy.
Magister
Oct 29, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Gaye
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK for what it was--what I call "fluff" reading. I enjoyed the trilogy; I like on-going sagas!
Jade Lauron
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Even though we are perfectly aware that this book/trilogy will end with the traditional happy ending, it still manages to be brilliant.
Ben Eiynk
I didn't realize this was the third book in a series... the pages and pages of tiresome exposition to get me caught up is rather off-putting.
Jannell
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
More close to 4. Innovative ideas about dragons and how they interact with humans. Interesting story.
Sasha Strader
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Wow, what a stunner. After two good first books, Weis just dropped the ball on this one. It was a dull read up until the last 25 pages or so.
Ronald Marcil
The Dragonvarld Trilogy #3
  • One Million A.D.
  • Song Of The Dragon (The Annals of Drakis, #1)
  • An Armory of Swords
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Conjuring Destiny (Brides of Prophecy #3)
  • Dragon Guard Series Box Set (Dragon Guards, #1 To #7.5)
  • Mother of Lies (Dodec, #2)
  • Alien Blood: Psion / Catspaw (Cat, #1-2)
  • Witch Hunt (The Gryphonpike Chronicles, #1)
  • Renegade Wizards (Dragonlance: The Anvil of Time, #3)
  • The Demon Apostle (Corona: The DemonWars Saga, #3)
  • Dragon Waking (The Dragon Circle #2)
  • The Deep Beyond: Cuckoo's Egg / Serpent's Reach (Union-Alliance Universe)
  • The Queen of Wolves (The Vampyricon, #3)
  • The Duke's Ballad
  • The Emerald Sceptre (Forgotten Realms: The Scions of Arrabar, #3)
  • Darkwitch Rising (The Troy Game, #3)
  • Black Talon (Dragonlance: Ogre Titans, #1)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

The Dragonvarld Trilogy (3 books)
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dragon's Son (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99