Start by marking “The Emerald Storm (The Riyria Revelations, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)

The Emerald Storm

(The Riyria Revelations #4)

A MESSAGE IS INTERCEPTED. A SINISTER PLAN LAUNCHED. TWO THIEVES STAND IN THE WAY.

Ex-mercenary Hadrian Blackwater sets course on a high seas adventure to find the lost Heir of Novron. His only hope lies in confronting the ruthless and cunning Merrick Marius. Fearing Hadrian is not up to the challenge, Royce Melborn joins his ex-partner for one last mission. Their journey fi
Published April 2nd 2010 by Ridan Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Emerald Storm, please sign up.
Michael Robin is right. Let me expand the explanation just a bit. I originally self-published the books as a six book series: The Crown Conspiracy |…moreRobin is right. Let me expand the explanation just a bit. I originally self-published the books as a six book series: The Crown Conspiracy | Avempartha | Nyphron Rising | The Emerald Storm | Wintertide | Percepliquis.

Just after book #5 was released, Orbit (fantasy imprint of Hachette Book Group) bought the series and they re-released it as three, 2-book omnibus editions. The original six book series is now out of print as the Orbit versions replace them. So the order of the books that are for sale these days are:

* Theft of Swords (The Crown Conspiracy & Avempartha)
* Rise of Empire (Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm)
* Heir of Novron (Wintertide & Percepliquis)

Hope that helps.(less)

Elwen
This series gets better and better. I need more stars to spread ... 5 is not enough! :-)
Lindsey Rey
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
[4.5 Stars]
TS Chan
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I love how this series takes off to greater heights with each and every instalment so far. We get to see more of the world of Elan as our favourite duo travels to southern regions of Delgos and Calis on a ship for which the book is named after.

I typically do not enjoy naval settings and sailing jargons often just fly right over my head. However, as Hadrian and Royce are both portrayed as sailing noobs, the reader gets the benefit of some form of ‘education’ such that it’s a lot easier for m
Syd the Kid
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm so happy that I enjoyed this way more than book 3 :) Also, I can finally say that I am starting to like Arista.
David Sven
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
Another fun entry in the Riyria Revelations Series. At book four (or book two if you only count the Omnibuses) the world building is still expanding. We go outside Averyn as Locke and Jean Royce and Hadrian pretend to be sailors and hit the open water.

Royce’s nemesis, Merrick Marius, is working for the Imperials and it’s up to our two thieves to find out what he’s up to and stop him. So there will be pirates, there will be ship to ship battles –and there will be goblins...Goblins! Wha...?! Wel
C.P. Cabaniss
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This reread took me a long time. I finally finished it on the audiobook, which was great. Now I want to try and get my hands on the final installment of the series in that format. Tim Gerard Reynolds is probably my favorite narrator I've listened to where high fantasy is concerned.

Royce and Hadrian continue to be one of my favorite duos of all time. Their bromance is brilliant and it makes me happy to read about them. Arista can be very annoying, but she has her moments of likability too.

The e
Emma
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not quite as good as the previous books. I found Royce and Hadrian's part in the story took a long time to come to fruition and the section when they were on board ship did not keep my attention completely. However it all worked out in the end :)
Zoe Artemis Fido Targaryen
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am deeply in love now. I admit that it's boring as hell from beginning up to the last quarter of the book. But last chapters made up to it fantastically. The ending was predictable, once again, but executed awesomely. Setting off to the next book.
Lazybee
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am falling in love with these series. Humor, adventure, plot twists, romance, interesting characters and many more. I can't get enough of this series. Good thing he did a prequel to the series. A lot of mystery will be uncovered after reading that.

Loved it.
ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-2016
I find myself less interested with Royce and Hadrian, but absolutely smitten with Arista and Thrace.

I wish I was more interested in the events surrounding Royce and Hadrian... Maybe in book 3!
Kathleen
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi, audio
3.5 stars. Another good installment, but the church is just too evil, and far too stupid. Invite the Gahzul goblins onto your continent, in ranks of 50,000???
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
Another 5 * read. The series has to be one of my favorites of all time
 ☆Ruth☆
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's the sign of an excellent fantasy series when you reach the end of book four and are still enthralled and anxious to delve into book five :).
Jess Owens
I’m stressed
What’s going to happen
Will my ship sail?
Will my love make it?
Two more books until the end and I am NOT ready
William
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of the Riyria Chronicles, Riyria Revelations, and Legends of the First Empire released so far. I started re-reading the whole series this year (2018) in preparation for the release of Age of War in July. Having read all of the books, The Emerald Storm remains to be my favorite book in all of the books set in Elan. If you like Aubrey–Maturin, or Naomi Novik His Majesty's Dragon: A Novel of Temeraire then this book may be a standout in the Riyria series, although I am not sure if t ...more
Kristjan
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
Another fine addition to the series; highly recommended. Although the series continues to be a good 'light' read, I can't help wishing the author had done a little more research on the naval engagement portion of the storyline. IMHO the mistakes here are even harder to ignore than the structural engineering problems encountered at the end of book one. When you put that much detail about something, you really need to make sure that the detail is correct; as such if reinforces a general perception ...more
P.H. Solomon
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like a good sea adventure every now and then so this book in Sullivan's series was a fresh approach. The author took pains to describe the details of sailing with accuracy as well as the various duties aboard ship. It draws on many of the older tales of sea-faring adventure but in a fantasy format so there are unique aspects to the tale. I enjoyed it and heartily recommend it as a good break from all the land-lubber tales.
Jim
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great fun & a must-read for anyone who is following the series. Whew! It was tough to put down! Excellent action, thrills & chills. After reading this, you'll have to read the next one, too. This could be read out of order, I suppose, but I wouldn't recommend it. I can't wait for the next! (Hurry up & get to writing, Michael!)
;-)
Armina

4 STARS

My review for the omnibus edition(books #3-4): here
Wing Kee
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of pirate book but this one is good!

World: The world building is pretty solid, there are three stories here cause as the books keep expanding the world there are many moving parts to this world. There is not a lot of info dumping and the history and lore is told very nonchalantly which I normally enjoy. There are instances however that I wish more context was given to the reader to let them know the stakes the the political and social political system of the world but those issues
Bogdan
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely a good series of books, but for the moment, I must admit that with this volume, the style of the writer has begun to get on my nerves.

I mean, in the first place, the story advances with a very, very slow pace. The most interesting and also the main thread hasn`t evolved very much from the previous book.

In a change we have some new adventures with our pair of thieves that haven`t impressed me much.

Second, I have noticed that in the last three volumes that I`ved read there are some scen
Sir Anni
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I love Hadrian and Royce and how they interact, I would sometimes wish for a bit more depth and more explanations. Some parts of the story felt a bit rushed and like the potential is wasted. But overall a very fast and fun read with many unexpected twists.
Renee M
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of intrigue and adventure. I loved the chapters with Riyria at sea. Arista, Thrace, and Amelia are turning into fun female characters as well. Lots of twists but an especially twisty one at the end.
Conor
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: riyria, fantasy
While the Emerald Storm didn’t quite match the standards set by ‘Nyphron Rising’ it was still a great read. The main focus of this one was a perilous quest across the world undertaken by Royce and Hadrian. This was a really enjoyable storyline that introduced some great characters, showed us more of the world and further developed Hadrian’s backstory. For the most part the world building in this series is pretty shallow and typical of the genre and that was what we got here however it was still ...more
Dan
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Oh no. The Empire just struck back.

No time to talk, book 5 is next.

Happy Reading!

Series Review:

Question:

What is the bibliophile's dilemma?

Answer:

The books you can't help but read as fast as possible are the same books you wish would never end.

Solutions? I'd love to hear them.

Until then, I hope to find more books that hurt as good as The Riyria Revelations.

This series is just fun. It's fantasy with twists and red herrings.
Mike
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.0 out of 5 stars -- see this review and others at The Speculative Shelf.

Royce and Hadrian continue their journey to locate the Heir of Novron and install him to his rightful throne. On this adventure they board The Emerald Storm, a New Empire ship with a crew whose allegiance is never quite what it seems.

This ship tale was not on par with Robin Hobb’s Liveship Traders or Scott Lynch’s Red Seas Under Red Skies, but it’s another satisfactory installment in the series. I found this second pair of
Jason
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good... although somewhat predictable. The last book had some surprises but this one felt different. I hope Sullivan is setting up his next book. (view spoiler) ...more
Ronni
May 08, 2010 rated it liked it
I have truly enjoyed all 4 of The Riyria Revelations, and I highly recommend this series. The 5th one will be available in October, 2010. The 6th and final in April, 2011 according to Wikipedia.

However, I don't think I have ever, ever read anything so poorly edited! There are so many grammatical errors that I began highlighting them, which is quite easy to accomplish in a Kindle. Because the multitude of errors were a distraction, I rated all currently published Riyria Revelations 3-star, rather
Katy
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is such an enjoyable series. This story focuses on Hadrian and Royce (of course) and the only other character (at least so exclusively) is Arista, who I enjoy quite a bit. I hope we learn more about Marius in the last two books - or at least see a few more things from his point of view. I love a good evil genius.

The Emerald Storm is the first of the books to have what I would consider a true cliffhanger. I guess by the time you've invested in four books, you're in it for keeps.
Chompa
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a series of six books and I'm actually reading them in the two-books-one-binding format. Currently I'm on the 5th book which I started last night.

As a series I'm greatly enjoying these. The characters are interesting, the world is well constructed and I like the over-arching plot. I guess the best thing I can say is that when I finish one book, I pick up the next wondering, "What's going to happen now?".

Probably a 4.5?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Emerald Storm 25 32 Jul 25, 2016 03:54AM
The reason that Arista...? 3 22 Oct 21, 2015 10:58PM
I REALLY want to read this... ;_; 2 22 Sep 19, 2014 06:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: Help with a foreign edition 4 26 Jun 11, 2013 07:31PM

• The Spirit Eater (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #3)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames, #2)
  • Warrior Quest (The Ancient Lands, #1)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
  • The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • The Flames of Shadam Khoreh (Lays of Anuskaya, #3)
  • Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)
  • Secrets of the Sands (Children of the Desert, #1)
  • Farlander (Heart of the World, #1)
  • Kings of Morning (The Macht, #3)
The Age of Legend (one of Goodreads Hottest Releases of Summer) Giveaway is live! ENTER NOW for a signed and/or dedicated copy.

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Washington Post bestselling author with 7 Goodreads Choice Award Nominations.

I first opened the door to my imagination with typewriter keys while pla

The Riyria Revelations (6 books)
  • The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6)
“Always remember that the tales of another are never as wondrous as your own.” 4 likes