Start by marking “In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth” as Want to Read:

An inspiring walk through World War II history from the national bestselling author of Biggest Brother.

On the eve of the 65th anniversary of the end of the war in Europe, Larry Alexander returns to the very battlefields that made Easy Company a legend. Accompanied by Easy veteran Sgt. Forrest Guth on his final tour, Alexander crosses an ocean and a continent to follow t
Published May 4th 2010 by NAL (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers

Andres
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ww2
Any fan of the 'Band of Brothers' will be rewarded by reading this book.

I read this at the same time I read A Company of Heroes by Marcus Brotherton and they work very well together, as I mentioned in my review of that book.

This is a travelogue and history of the 'Band of Brothers' experiences in World War II Europe enriched by the memories of Forrest Guth, who accompanied the author to most of the places covered. I really enjoyed the then-and-now approach to each location and the clarifying of
Jim Richardson
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like reading about wwII ,so I enjoyed this book.we don't have a lot of these folks left and we are losing more each day.this is a great account of one group of men who helped save our world.
Lesley
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really didn’t want this to end. Enjoyed it a lot! Can’t get enough of these men’s history.
Beckie
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An interesting perspective as the author (Larry Alexander) returns to the scenes of several Easy Company battles along with Sgt. Forrest Guth, an Easy veteran.
Fire
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written glimpse into the life of a soldier during World War II and his visit to the same battlegrounds over 60 years later. This is a great account and an interesting read.

This is one of about a dozen books that I have read about the Band of Brothers and it ranks in my top 3. This is well worth the read.
Hannah
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! What a once in a lifetime experience for the author of this book.

The military procedures were a little hard to understand, because try as I might, I just have trouble understanding them.

Really just made me want to visit these sites so much more than I already wanted to!
Willie
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read Stephen Ambrose's Band of Brothers novel, and the two memoirs from Dick Winters, so I was already familiar with much of the material here. I like reading about the same situations from another another source, and this book was from the perspective of Easy Company veteran Forrest Guth. The book's style is quite unique: the pacing interchanges from Forrest's recollection of the war 60 years ago, to the current road trip he and the book's author Larry Alexander were on at the time. It see ...more
Robert Clancy
This modern day archeological trip to the battle fields of Europe with a soldier who was there brings you to the battle sites of WWII as they were then and as they are now. The focus of this trip is to return with an aging veteran of the 101st Airborne Division - the Screaming Eagles - who was also part of Easy Company, the famous "Band of Brothers". As one of the last living members, this 86 year old travels to the major battle sites and relates each battle fought by his comrades from Normandy ...more
Ryan Witalison
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
A must read for fans of the Band of Brothers, Larry Alexander uses a trip with his friend and Easy Company Vet Sgt. Forest Guth to many of their battlefields to tell the real story behind the Band of Brothers. Including the fact it was Forest Guth who went on the famous Last Patrol and not David Webster as seen in the miniseries. The Book does not cover the company's time in Germany as Sgt. Guth was awarded a 30 day pass in late March and was in the US visiting friends and Family when the war in ...more
Adam Christian Smith
A must read revisiting of Easy Company and the 506th of the Famed 101st.

This has a great twist as the author brought members of E Company all the way from England, Europe until the end of hostilities in WWII.

Every site where E Co fired a shot and engaged the enemy is visited and recounted.

It's amazing and chilling especially in the forests where Easy dug in and the trenches where they dug in we're still there after all these years. One site was completely undisturbed except for weather after
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: war, history, non-fiction
I enjoyed this travel back to the battlefields of Easy Company. Forrest Guth of Easy Company accompanied Larry Alexander to Europe and shared insights and thoughts about each place. Larry also included several of the other veterans' comments about places and paratroopers which he gathered from their own published stories.

As a fan of Band of Brothers I wanted to watch the series again with these thoughts and details in mind.

I will definitely have to add to my reading list Biggest Brother: The Lif
Lee
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is part travelogue and part war story as author Larry Alexander goes through France and Holland with Easy Company member Forrest Guth. He goes to the major engagements that the company participated in and tells the story of what happened and then he tells how the town or village is in the present time. Good read.
Karen Thompson
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ipod
A great addition to the Band of Brothers legacy. It was interesting to hear this soldiers take on each of the campaigns and a sober reminder of the sacrifice made for the freedom and way of life enjoyed by so many throughout the world because of the brave tenacity of the Americans' role in WWII. Great read!
 Dr. Michael Galvin
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Larry Alexander revisits the battle grounds of Easy Company with Easy Company Sergeant Forrest Guth. A good companion book to Ambrose's Band Of Brothers but I recommend reading the Ambrose book first.
Carmen
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: world-history
Tne author goes on a tour of many world war 2 sites accompanied by a famous veteran. Stories are told about events. The greatest deficiency is that the book keeps referring to a mini series and another book.
Don
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
to be the best, hog gut trenches, 24 cemeteries 15 countries, 9K Omaha 300 brothers 4 women 1500 mia 300 unknown, 35 over 300 in all tactics by easy company.
Kurt Thonnings
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good account of these now well-known men. Dick Winters just recently died. Ahhhh. And the marchers in the parades grow less and less
Chris
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-2
I liked this book, it is a good travelogue and I found all parts of it to be interesting, easy to read and entertaining.
Heidi
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
The author seemed to be regurgiitating information that was already out there. I found it informative but......
Liz
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A great addition to all the other Band of Brothers books. Filled in a lot of gaps in the stories as well as told new stories. Definitely worth reading.
Mike
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very poignant book. I truly enjoyed the mix of history and present day stories of the author and one of the men of East Company as they toured battlefield sites.
Tomlikeslife
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was okay but really didn't add any additional information to the story of Easy company.
Ken Jacobs
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good read. The author travels back to the battlefields of the group of paratroopers made famous by the Band of Brothers miniseries. A veteran paratrooper acts as his guide.
Lauren Merrell
Wen Xiang
Apr 06, 2013
adam montanino
Jan 25, 2017
  • A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • Conversations with Major Dick Winters: Life Lessons from the Commander of the Band of Brothers
  • Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends
  • The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne and the Battle of the Bulge, December 19,1944-January 17,1945
  • Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"
  • Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • The Road to Arnhem: A Screaming Eagle in Holland
  • The Filthy Thirteen: From the Dustbowl to Hitler's Eagle's Nest - The True Story of the 101st Airborne's Most Legendary Squad of Combat Paratroopers
  • I'm Staying With My Boys...: The Heroic Life of Sgt. John Basilone, USMC
  • Brave Men
  • The Dead and Those About to Die: D-Day: The Big Red One at Omaha Beach
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • The Boys' Crusade: The American Infantry in Northwestern Europe, 1944-45
  • No Surrender: A World War II Memoir
  • Disobeying Hitler: German Resistance After Operation Valkyrie
  • The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot
Larry Alexander is a journalist and military historian who has written a number of books about World War II, most notably about Easy Company of the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army. Easy Company was made famous principally by Stephen Ambrose's book, Band of Brothers, and the television miniseries of that name.

For over a decade, Alexander has been a columnist for the "Intelligencer Journal"