Start by marking “Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research” as Want to Read:
Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research

Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research

Remote studies allow you to recruit subjects quickly, cheaply, and immediately, and give you the opportunity to observe users as they behave naturally in their on environment. In Remote Research, Nate Bolt and Tony Tulathimutte teach you how to design and conduct remote research studies, top to bottom, with little more than a phone and a laptop.

TESTIMONIALS

"Nate and Tony

Published February 8th 2010 by Rosenfeld Media (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Remote Research, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remote Research

Start your review of Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
Amy
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nate and Tony's book fills in a big missing chunk in user research -- how to conduct user research that doesn't feel forced -- and I'd recommend it to any user researcher. It's true that the variations on user research are pretty endless as it is, and you may ask, "Who needs more methods?" This books answer is that this method gets at users in real time -- a task that's been difficult to accomplish any other way.

The first two thirds of the book are the strongest, and they provide a solid primer
Amy
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This book did not focus on methodology or study design to the extent that it probably should have. It was full of reviews and information about specific screen-sharing programs and remote user research applications, which probably should have been included as an appendix rather than as a substantive part of the book. There were a few points where the author's advice deviated significantly from what is often imparted in the usability literature. For example, telling a potential respondent that th ...more
Caitlin
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as many answers as I was hoping for in this book - a lot of the suggestions are either stuff I've figured out on my own already, or are not possible for me to do given the setup of the applications that I test. Oh, well. It's a well-considered book anyway, just a bit more basic than I think it should have been. ...more
Vytas Ramanauskas
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
An outstanding book on UX research. It's a bit out-dated in terms of the tools and technologies used, however, the principles mentioned are more important than ever!! The authors made great points on both moderated and automated research, they are being realistic and telling the story from both sides (not only in favor of the remote research vs lab research).
The book is full of tips and step-by-step guides, lots of examples, and even small case-studies.

It's 2020 and everyone who is involved in
Sashko Valyus
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s 2020. We have Zoom and Teams. Screen sharing and video from camera is not a problem. If we’ll skip all technical parts of the book because they become obsolete, I would say that it’s still the most useful book about remote usability testings
Tomi Ola
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book definitely got me thinking about how to include time-aware research in what I do. Good work by the authors. This is one for the top shelf so I can always return for quick references.
Bülent Duagi
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A practical book making the case for remote user research.
Comes with useful details about different aspects of conducting remote research, from recruiting users to pitching the results to the stakeholders.

Reading the book inspired me to think more about how can a user researcher get to interact with users exactly in the context when they naturally use a product or service, in contrast to a simulated context.

Some additional food for thought is about using mobile devices for remote research, area
Danielle
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Useful but a bit outdated.
Reto Laemmler
Dec 23, 2015
Eric
Aug 14, 2010
Ahmed BM
rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2018
Jose
Sep 29, 2018
Joe Mojoguzzi
Jul 30, 2012
Geisa Silva
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma boa ajuda nos estudos e projetos.
Gustavo Soto miño
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Card Sorting
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • User Friendly: How the Hidden Rules of Design Are Changing the Way We Live, Work, and Play
  • Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Conversational Design
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World
  • Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day
  • Designing Social Interfaces

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...