Start by marking “A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)

A Hand to Hold

(Hearts of Middlefield #3)

Ruth Byler has never failed at anything in her life, but Zach Bender is going to test the limits of her heart.

A student at heart, Ruth is finally a teacher at the Amish schoolhouse. But after her first day, she wonders if she’s made a mistake. The students want nothing to do with learning. Deflated, she makes a promise to herself to not give up—not yet.

When Zach comes to f
Published September 13th 2010 by Thomas Nelson

Lena Morrison
Feb 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
I do my reviews in the form of a letter, which is why they are written like this.

Dear Kathleen Fuller,
I did not like this book very much either.
It was very bland and predictable.
The romance is dull, the characters are dull, and the writing is okay.
I'm not trying to be mean, but I am saying that this is how I felt about this story.

Sincerely,
Lena Marie
Paula-O
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
loved reading this series,Hearts of Middlefield- by Kathleen Fuller, book #3 "A hand to Hold".

Ruth is the youngest Byler child and feels like everyone still looks at her as a child. She seems to always to have to prove that she is more mature now and can make good decisions-though sometimes they are not.
Ruth has always wanted to be a teacher and worked hard at school work making good grades but making others think she was "teachers pet".

Zach never seemed to have his fathers approval and he made
⚜️Trea
This book definitely isn't a standalone, as one really needs to read the second book in the series for this to make sense. That being said, while it was an enjoyable read, it did have it's problems.

Once again, this followed two different romances. I felt that really short changed them, as having the focus split made the stories less detailed. Both romances also felt a bit wishy-washy, as if Ruth and Deborah didn't know what was happening and were too opposed to it to matter. Stephen and Zacharia
Nicki Rhode keck
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I loved both story lines equally, although I did feel that each was a bit rushed at the end, but still, it was very good. I really like everything I have read by this author.
Fizzy
Our last time visiting the Byler family in Middlefield with Kathleen Fuller. It was nice getting the opportunity to catch back up with the other couples that have found their future from 'A Man of His Word' and 'An Honest Love'. All Byler siblings with a few other couples thrown in because, well each book is a twofer - two couples figuring out life and finding love. It's been fun, for me at least, dipping my toes into some of Kathleen's earlier books. I enjoy her writing style and the way she bl ...more
Vikki Vaught
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely heartfelt romance with endearing characters. So glad I found this series. The narrator is perfect for Amish stories. Happy reading/listening!
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Title: A HAND TO HOLD
Author: Kathleen Fuller
Publisher: Bethany House
September 2010
ISBN: 978-1-59554-814-6
Genre: Inspirational/Amish

Ruth Byler is anxious to start school. She’s had the lessons prepared for months in advance. She’s bought new notebooks and freshly sharpened pencils for all her students. And she’s just putting the finishing touches on her desk when a pickup truck crashes through the back wall of the school house.

Zachariah Bender was borrowing a friend’s pickup to go to the store fo
Amber
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the third in Kathleen Fuller's "A Hearts Of Middlefield" series and I enjoyed it as much as the first, second books. I did feel like the story of Ruth and Zach was rushed a bit in the end. I also felt that the story between Deborah and Naomi could have been touched on some more in the end.

Ruth Bylers so excited to start school. It's her first year teaching and she has the lessons prepared for weeks. She has just finished getting everything ready for the first day of school. Then a truck
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Oh, I identified with Ruth in this book! Perfectionist student who never quite fit in, over-eager teacher who quickly realized that all the lesson planning in the world won't account for "reality". Yeah, that all sounded familiar. I loved watching Ruth chill out a bit, learn to flex, understand that she doesn't have to strive for the impossibility of perfection. And Zach - what a sweetie he turned out to be! I really enjoyed their story.

Also - I was thrilled that we got to catch up with Deborah
Elsie
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this whole series. Like the other two books, this one actually had two storylines going at the same time. The one from the back with Ruth Byler and Zach Bender and another one with Deborah (a character from the 2nd book) and Stephen Byler. For the first time, I actually enjoyed both stories about equally. The past two books I actually enjoyed the 2nd storyline more than the primary one, but both of these were very good.

These books are pretty predictable, especially if you read t
Rachel
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This third and final novel of the Hearts of Middlefield series is honestly my favorite of the series. The plot was interesting, and the characters were fun. The writing was good for the genre, and it was less predictable than the first novel of the series. In this book, the plot didn't really have a large crisis at all rather there were many little ups and downs. Also, I really like how the author matches up two couples per book in this series as well.
Cathy
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a sweet and poignant story of a two young Amish couples who find love. I thought the primary storyline and the secondary were equally enjoyable. Kathleen Fuller has a real talent of drawing you into Amish life and seeing them as real people with joys and sorrows just like we have. I enjoyed the whole Hearts of Middlefield series and highly recommend it.
Chanover55
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Amish fiction so the finale to this series tied up all the loose ends. Each couple had their struggles as all people do and, like us found themselves in situations that would raise the eyebrows of the community. Kathleen Fuller does a great job of showing how God's love can change any life.
Sue Lambert
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pretty good, Formulaic....one hyper character is attracted to and then balances a too stable one.
I am tired of novels that plod through the intro of relationships and scurry through what might be more interesting --when they can't go home alone....How did Ruth and Zach live with seemingly huge gaps of interest...How does Steven cover Deborah's past and how do they secure Will?
Mary Beth Metzger
I enjoyed this book. Reading about the two main ladies, what they're going through kept me from putting this book down. Natalie and Ruth had different challenges. Teaching was one lady's dream and Natalie had to figure out why her sister was so angry with her. Kathleen Fuller is a very talented writer.
Dani
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Sally
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This is actually a book about two couples, not the one it says on the back cover. Sadly, in my opinion, the story of one of the couples is a bit rushed at the end. Their finale comes in the epilogue. Otherwise, a good and quick read. I had this one finished in a couple of hours.
ANNETTE
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story about two couples who fall in love after several twist &turns with over coming difficult hardships, falling lve and trusting in God.
Fay Risner
A romantic read about two different couples in the same story
Lennine
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this very much.
Chesney
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Same as the first two books of the series. I felt like the end was rushed too quickly with two story lines going on at the same time.
Gail
For now I'm giving this 3 stars, just couldn't get into it!
Kendra Neal
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series by Kathleen Fuller! Looking forward to reading more books by Kathleen Fuller!
Kristen
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, series, amish
A great book to end this trilogy
Lena
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Again, I really like the side story hear about Deborah and Stephen :) but the Ruth and Zach thing was pretty good too.
Mrs. Doglvrs
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, amish
Have I mentioned how much I hate "steam roll" endings... ugh! Nice story -- but why wait until the last chapter to wrap everything up?
Stephanie
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Two Amish couples overcome hardships of learning difficulties and illegitimacy to find love in Ohio.
Rita
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this much more than I expected and will look for others by this author.
Donna
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish
These books are pretty predictable, especially if you read them one after another. The stories are nice, clean ~n~ simple. Have really enjoyed reading any series that I come across.

Kat
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading my first official Christian Fiction book! This was a great story. I didn't realize that it was the 3rd book in the series, but I enjoyed the book any ways.
Why is Amish fiction so expensive? 1 2 Feb 27, 2016 10:43AM

• Plain Paradise (Daughters of the Promise, #4)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • Autumn's Promise (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #3)
  • A Hope for Hannah (Hannah's Heart, #2)
  • Anna's Return
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • Dear to Me (Brides of Webster County, #3)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • Simply Sara (Plain and Simple, #2)
Best-selling author of Amish fiction. Also a wife, mother, crafter, coffee addict, football fan, and chocolate aficionado.

Hearts of Middlefield (3 books)
  • A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1)
  • An Honest Love (Hearts of Middlefield, #2)