Start by marking “Best New Horror 1 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #1)” as Want to Read:
Best New Horror 1 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #1)

Best New Horror 1

(The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror #1)

The first annual collection of the world's best horror stories and short novels showcases fiction from every part of the field--from terror to supernatural chills--and features the talents of Ian Watson, Stephen Gallagher, Ramsey Campbell, and others.
Published November 1st 1990 by Robbins

To ask other readers questions about Best New Horror 1, please sign up.
S.K. I recognize it from the 1980s Call of Cthulhu RPG manual. It is Groglin Vampire by Les Edwards.

Shawn
A placeholder review, as while this entire collection hasn't been gotten to yet in my exhaustive reading schematic, I am reading a handful of Robert Westall stories, and this volume happens to contain one. So I read it.

"The Last Day of Miss Dorinda Molyneux" - a school-outing to an ancient church leads to the release of something old and unwholesome from a crypt, a tattered something which leaves insulting graffiti scrawled on the various tombs in it's own dead tissue and which menaces the child
John Wiswell
I picked this up as an experiment, to see what was popular in Horror twenty years ago. Alas, from the introduction this volume is depressing: King, Gaiman, Koontz and Barker remain the giants they were then, while none of the rising stars listed have actually risen to titanic stature today. Further depressing is the general quality of the stories within.

Deciding to flip through it out of order, I read Donald Burlesson’s “Snow Cancellations” first and got the wrong impressions. That story is a si
Kevin
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The covers on the imported editions of this series are awesome!
Lucian Poll
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The long-running reprint anthology series Best New Horror was launched in 1990 with this book, edited by Stephen Jones and Ramsey Campbell. It followed the launch of Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling’s successful series Demons & Dreams: The Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror a few years earlier, and, in much the same vein, aimed to present a comprehensive overview of the horror genre during the previous year.

This inaugural volume sets the mould for all subsequent entries in the series. It opens wi
Bibliophile
Oh dear, some of these stories have not aged well (No Sharks In the Med by Brian Lumley strikes me as particularly nasty). Some I just instantly forgot. Was looking forward to Karl Edward Wagner's "At First Just Ghostly"", only to realise it was a Kane story. Barbarians are not my cup of tea. The Ligotti one is good, but the best story by far is the marvellous "The Last Day of Miss Dorinda Molyneux" by Robert Westall. Deliciously frightening, funny and clever, it makes me want to read whatever h ...more
DeAnna Knippling
A fun read - nothing that really planted itself firmly in mind; nothing that completely missed. Most of the stories were of the "quietly horrible" type, rather than blood-and-guts, but there were a few of the latter. The final story, "Bad News" by Richard Laymon, was especially suspenseful in the latter type. My favorite was "...To Feel Another's Woe," by Chet Williamson, the theater story. "Ah," said I, "I see how he could do that."
Andre
What a joy! I can now see why Best New Horror (or Mammoth Book of Best New Horror) has since seen 25 more installments since this amazing first collection of short stories. You can pick this up for only a couple of dollars on Amazon or Kobo and I can highly recommend it to any lover of old-time classic horror. Richard Laymon, Stephen Gallagher, Brian Lumley, Robert McCammon, Kim Newman and many others have a place in this anthology. Do yourself a favor and pick it up. Best
Greg Kerestan
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In high school, I started shopping at outlet bookstores during vacations in Ocean City, Maryland. Those Delmarva strip malls and outlets usually carried obscure British anthologies like these, and they never failed to contain at least one truly memorable story. Confession: I've told "The Horn" as a spooky campfire story a few times, passing it off as my own invention. (Hey, don't judge: ALL spooky campfire stories are supposed to be original, but none actually are.)
Jien
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a delightful read, plenty of the stories were delightfully creepy and the few that weren't were short enough that it didn't feel like a waste of time to have read them. My favorite story of the bunch was probably "At First Just Ghostly" by Karl Edward Wagner but I was also partial to "The House on Cemetery Street" by Cherry Wilder though the latter was dull right up until the end.
Chere
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the annual series, Best New Horror is quite entertaining for fans of the genre. The anthology contains not only the usual forms of horror (ghost stories, creatures, etc.), but also the more subtle and the more real kinds. Although not all of the stories made a big impact on me, the book as a whole is a good and worthwhile read.
Rob Sharp
This was hit and miss, more misses than hits to be honest. One of the book narrators was absolutely awful and ruined whichever story she was narrating. That said, the reading ( and content ) of the first story, Pin, was excellent.
Jenny
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
An okay collection. Hit and a miss mix of stories. The hits are definitley worth reading the book for.
Xhell Collins
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cant read it.
Normand Kosztko
not very good 2/5
bluetyson
Best New Horror (Mammoth Book of Best New Horror) by Stephen Jones (1991)
Kayla
  • Black Wings of Cthulhu 2: Eighteen Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • Dracula in London
  • After Death...
  • Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction
  • Still Dead (Book of the Dead, #2)
Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."

The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Best New Horror 2 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #2)
  • Best New Horror 3 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #3)
  • Best New Horror 4 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #4)
  • Best New Horror 5 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #5)
  • Best New Horror 6 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #6)
  • Best New Horror 7 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #7)
  • Best New Horror 8 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #8)
  • Best New Horror 9 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #9)
  • Best New Horror 10 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #10)
  • Best New Horror 11 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #11)