Start by marking “The Winter Of The Fisher” as Want to Read:
The Winter Of The Fisher

The Winter Of The Fisher

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A fisher survives his first year in the wilderness through the help of a kind Ojibway.
Published (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Of The Fisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter Of The Fisher

Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, and ended up really enjoying it. The plot was very simple and predictable (and often a bit contrived) but that really wasn't the point. The writing was good throughout, and truly excellent in places, particularly when it came to natural imagery and creating a sense of place. This book doesn't quite rank with Annie Dillard, Terry Tempest Williams, or Sigurd Olson, but it is still among the best nature writing I have read in a while.
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Originally published in 1971, I picked this book up at a Canadian airport when I was 8 and flying to Trinidad with my aunt. I immediately became engrossed in the story of the male Fisher (a weasel-like animal) who is seeking revenge upon a trapper. For anyone who loves books written from the perspective of the animal, this one is wonderful and unique. It is still on my bookshelf at home, even after 20 years. God, now I feel old.
Stephanie A.
The epitome of great wildlife writing. I don't know much about fishers in general, but Langford makes the wilderness come alive through the eyes of the fisher with the distinctive silver band of fur where a forest fire marked him. I also appreciated the supplementary viewpoints from the two humans, and loved the respect between the fisher and the Ojibway.
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not as timeless as "Rascal," our family's favorite animal book, but a charming look at wilderness life through the eyes of the elusive fisher.
Shonna Siegers
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read... A little obvious and predictable but likable. It was nice to read the descriptions of the forest and wilderness done with such obvious care.
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read it because Brian Doyle recommended it. He's right, it should be a classic, yet I had to purchase it from a used book dealer because it is out of print. I started it a few days before Doyle died and finished it the day after. Sadly, this was published a year after Langford's death and appears to be his only published work. The inside front cover offers this description: "Cameron Langford has written a book that is a plea for freeom and respect for all wild cretures. With prose of lyric int ...more
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Langford's descriptions of nature took me to the mountains. I enjoyed this book very much, although parts of it were upsetting to me.
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a difficult book to read as I couldn’t stomach the useless killing by a trapper on the other hand, it being written in the voice of the fisher, gave it redemption.
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A wonderfully engaging outdoor adventure in the animal kingdom. I loved it.
Vitor Frazão
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Os pontos forte do livro são as descrições da paisagem e sons das florestas o Canadá do Norte, assim como o esforço para narrar os eventos a partir da perspectiva animal (efeito apenas ocasionalmente quebrado pelo uso de conceitos humanos de tempo, que não fazem sentido do ponto de vista da pekan).

A história em si, não é nenhuma "pedra no charco", mas está suficientemente bem construída para atrair a maioria dos leitores.
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
gostei, a história é razoável. uma história de amizade e sobrevivência.
Apr 07, 2015