Start by marking “Emily of Deep Valley: A Deep Valley Book” as Want to Read:
Emily of Deep Valley: A Deep Valley Book

Emily of Deep Valley: A Deep Valley Book

(Deep Valley #2)

"I never grow tired of cheering for Emily, and neither will a new generation of readers."—Mitali Perkins, author of You Bring the Distant Near, finalist for the National Book Award

This standalone novel by the author of the beloved Betsy-Tacy series, Emily of Deep Valley is set in Betsy Ray's Deep Valley and tells the story of a young woman who longs to go off to college fo
Published October 12th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Emily of Deep Valley, please sign up.
Kellyn Roth I'd say anyone aged 12 to 92 would love this novel. :)

kris
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that just matter to you, you know? You finish them and feel gutted and raw and exposed and maybe a bit bitter that you've spent so much time without that book in your life.

Intense, absolutely, but that's the thing about Emily: she was me. She is me. She's the girl I still see in the mirror, the girl I hate, the girl I miss, the girl I don't always understand—the girl, ultimately, that I am and was and will be.

I've read all of the Betsy-Tacy books now, and I've loved them who
E.L.
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There were two books that sustained me the most during my first year of marriage - a year when everything was changing, I had moved away from everything and everyone I knew, and I was post-school but pre-job or -kids, when my new husband was working long hours and I had huge spaces of time just by myself, wondering what my purpose was. One book was The Blue Castle, by LM Montgomery. The other was this book, Emily of Deep Valley. The questions and struggles Emily endured, the feeling of something ...more
Kellyn Roth
Reread 2/7/18:
I like it even more, if that is possible! It's just such a good book. Also, it's a message I needed just now - "Muster your wits!"

Original Read August 2016:

I'm not sure whether I like Betsy and Joe or this book better. I honestly can't decide. :)

Anyway, the early 1900s (Edwardian) is my favorite era due to the Betsy-Tacy series ... and I suppose it has a certain charm of its own, too. This is just the best book ever and if you haven't read it, read it, and if you have read it, read
Emily
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily Webster is my hero. She is at once an unabashed flag-waving patriot, and a passionate advocate for Syrian refugees.

This is, I think, my third reading of this book, but the first in a good long while. I had thought I remembered it pretty well, but it turned out there were lots of details I hadn't remembered, such as how great Cab (a minor character from the main series) is in this book. And also that Betsy makes an appearance. I had also forgotten just how sad the first half of the book is
Teri-K
Such a good book! I'd give it 12 stars if I could! To me it's the perfect kind of story, about real people living simple but meaningful lives, dealing with struggles and joys and trying to find their way through it all.

I discovered this author and her Betsy-Tacy books when I was in grade school. Our small school library had most of the series and every fall when we went back to school I'd reread them all. I wanted to be Betsy Ray, growing up in Minnesota at the turn of the century. I wanted her
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, young-adult
This book has a . . . mood or presence that simply permeates it in a way that I expect is powerful for those who connect strongly to it. The sense of isolation from your crowd, of wanting to belong even while knowing it is impossible and, worse, existing on a fringe where you are accepted and welcome but still just that wee bit off is extremely strong in this book and conveyed with an understanding and depth that is very evocative.

I had a couple problems connecting to the book, though, and not a
Kelly Hager
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily's just graduated from high school, but unlike everyone else in her class, she's not going to college (or, as some are doing, getting married). Instead, she's going to stay at home to take care of her grandfather. She tries hard not to get upset about it, but it's difficult. All she wants to do is go to college and keep learning. Still, she loves her grandfather---he raised her after her mom died---and she's happy to be able to take care of him now.

Except that it's also kind of awful. All
Courtney
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best companion book to the Betsy-Tacy series, as well as being a terrific "stand alone" book if you are unfortunate enough to not be acquainted with B-T. I believe I read that this is Lovelace's fave of all the books she wrote, and I can understand why. It's pretty fab.
Beth Bonini
I never came across this companion book to the Betsy-Tacy series when I was a young teenager, and I wonder if I would have loved it as much as a 13 year old reader as I did as a middle-aged one? Emily does not have the effervescence of personality - or the fun-loving friends and family - which characterise Betsy Ray, and contribute to so much of the charm of those books. She is a much quieter heroine, and the book details her struggles with feelings of inadequacy, self-doubt and depression. For ...more
Bookworm
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, classics
This is, by far, my favorite out of all of Lovelace's books! It's a in depth story of a young woman coming into her own, and realizing that she can gain education and purpose right in her quiet home town. Watching Emily spread her wings really inspired and moved me, and the ending is just the cherry on top!
Mitali
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was one of the highest honors in my writing life to be asked to write the foreword for this new edition. I adore EMILY and always will.
Lisbeth Solberg
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisbeth by: Emily
This book makes me want to put my hair up in a psyche knot and coach Syrians in ESL.
Andree
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always say I don't like this book, and it's one of the few in the series I have not read countless times. This time through, I wanted to analyze that assertion, and I can say with conviction that I like the book just fine. It's Emily I don't like. There's very little I find congenial about her, and I am pretty sure we couldn't ever be friends. All this time I thought it was Grandpa Webster who rubbed me the wrong way but, no. It's Emily.

My friend Wendy is absolutely right, Grandpa Webster woul
Debbie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily of Deep Valley takes place in 1912. Emily is graduating from high school and will not be able to attend college with her friends. Emily is a quiet, serious young woman, interested in the politics of the day and deeply patriotic to her country. She is crushed that she will have to stay home and tend house for her elderly grandfather. Then she decides to embark on a private study club, take dancing lessons and assist the local Syrian refugees.
Maud Hart Lovelace provides detailed descriptions
Bronwyn
This had everything I love in an old/er book. Emily was so relatable; her successes and failures were like your own; she was sort of a plain Jane, but not overly so; and she wound up happy. All of the other characters were so lovely too. Grandpa, Cab, even Don and Annette, and of course Jed. The children were lovely; I loved Kalil, Yusuf, and Layla. I loved the little cameos from Betsy, Tacy, and Tib, and Winona. This was just such a charming book. So like some of the Anne books in so many ways, ...more
Susann
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-tomes, re-read
Re-read for November VSC. Still think Jed is written as a too good to be true guy, but oh well. I am firmly convinced that the engaged–practically! situation will wither away before it becomes real engagement.

Love this line which could be in a screenplay for the rom-com version:
"Miss Bangeter, casting off dignity for once, caught Emily to her queenly bosom."

Read:
1-16-2006. I know I've read it since then, but where are my records?
Libby Ames
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with young girls, Nicole and Abigail
This book is a little old-fashioned, but so refreshing. Compared to the current books for the 9-12 year old girls, this one is uplifting and motivating. It definitely doesn't have the intense plotline of more modern children's books, but is still an engaging story. Also, like the Little House on the Prairie books, it gives good insight to the culture of America (just set in the early 1900's).
Ally
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read from when I was a kid. At first glance it is an out moded, unstylish book. But I love how she took on racism in 1950, and anyone can relate to being left out and having "unfair" circumstances change their life. And then there is the line "I jus don't think about you. Good bye." I just cheered inside! I'm totally reading this to my girls when they are in middle school.
Ruth
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More of a 4.8
I forgot how much I love Lovelace's writing and characters. It feels so comforting and familiar. The beginning of the book was a little hard for me to get into, but the last 2/3 were so sweet. Emily is a new favorite heroine.
AlixJamie
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book title sounds deceptively like L.M. Montgomery's Emily of New Moon, but thank all the mercies that it really isn't. I'll now proceed with the review.

Synopsis: Emily Webster, an orphan living with her grandfather, is not like the other girls her age in Deep Valley, Minnesota. The gulf between Emily and her classmates widens even more when they graduate from Deep Valley High School in 1912. Emily longs to go off to college with everyone else, but she can't leave her grandfather.
Emily resi
Katrina
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mothers, give this to your daughters if you want them to learn discernment on choosing a mate. Superb book, in general. Character building in the best way.
Gayle Gordon
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a little different from the usual Lovelace books. Some of the Betsy-Tacy characters, as well as their younger brothers and sisters, are in here. However, Emily is a different kind of girl. She is not the popular, boy-crazy type that we're used to encountering in the Betsy-Tacy books. I'm not knocking those girls, they had their challenges and are fun to get to know. Emily is just different. She's shy. She's awkward. She's sort of plain, but pretty in a girl-next-door way. She's constantl ...more
Luisa Knight
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I love Emily! What a sweet character. She's warm and caring, and possesses enough spunky spirit that she tries to overcome her shyness in order to mingle, not just to benefit herself but to benefit others too. I could sympathize with her when she felt directionally lost (I appreciated how Lovelace showcased a beautiful lesson here), cheered her on while she worked at self-discipline and I was in anxious anticipation as to which man would win her heart.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this Deep V
Erin
I have always loved the style of literature that came from the early twentieth century, but somehow I had missed this gem by Maud Hart Lovelace until some friends wanted to read it in our book discussion group. I'm so glad they suggested it, because "Emily of Deep Valley" has claimed a place in my heart and won't be forgotten any time soon.

The story opens with Emily Webster on the cusp of her high school graduation in 1912. Emily has enjoyed school and desperately wants to go to college, but she
Emily
Favorite parts: spotlighting the Syrians; Emily learning about what can be education, about her character and about the two main men’s characters; the mixing of generations and not just in a parental way (Emily having meetings and creating classes with teachers, other adults and former students a bit older than her); appreciation for “old” things and people of different places.
This story could feel gloomy and slow coming from reading Betsy, because Emily and Betsy are such different characters.
Sophie
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I'm kind of on the fence about this book. On the one hand, I loved the way Emily has to learn to craft a life for herself after all her friends go off to college. She eventually does a good job of it--as one of her former teachers says to her:
"You've discovered, I see, that we have to build our lives out of what materials we have. It's as though we were given a heap of blocks and told to build a house..."
That's a message that really resonates with me and I enjoyed watching Emily grow. What I d
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the Betsy-Tacey books when I was younger, and was thrilled to learn that there were more books by Maud Hart Lovelace. Emily doesn't disappoint: the old-fashioned tone of the book perfectly depicts the life of early 20th century Midwesterners.

Compared to today's girls, Emily will seem mild and rather passive; by the standards of 1912, she's quite a go-getter. Her decisions regarding getting ahead with her life rather than moping because she doesn't have the educational opportunities her
Tabitha
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: winter
4.5 stars! The more I think about this story, the more I love it. I don't typically read love stories, but this one was just the right type-- where the relationship is the cherry on top of the beautiful and delicious cake the heroine has built for herself. Emily did indeed "muster her wits," and I found her situation relatable and inspiring. This is the type of romance I would want to have, one where we are "looking outward together in the same direction" as Saint-Exupery puts it. Perfect to rea ...more
Terri
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read from quite some years ago. For a book that is rated for ages 8 and up, it is extremely well-written. Emily's story drew me in. I'd forgotten how much I liked Ms Lovelace's books, and I never really appreciated how well she writes. Always knew that I like all the books she wrote about Betsy, Tacy and Tib, but reading them at a young age, I liked the story more than the writing.

Story is set in 1912-1913, and it brings back how patriotic people were, how they revered the 'old sol
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • The Betsy-Tacy Companion: A Biography of Maud Hart Lovelace
  • When Patty Went to College
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • Meet the Malones
  • In the High Valley
  • Mother
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown
  • Nancy and Plum
  • Return to Gone-Away
  • Heidi's Children (Heidi sequel, #3)
Maud Hart Lovelace was born on April 25, 1892, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the middle of three children born to Thomas and Stella (Palmer) Hart. Her sister, Kathleen, was three years older, and her other sister, Helen, was six years younger. “That dear family" was the model for the fictional Ray family.

Maud’s birthplace was a small house on a hilly residential street several blocks above Mankat

Deep Valley (3 books)
  • Carney's House Party (Deep Valley, #1)
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
“I'm finished with something, but I'm not beginning anything. That's wrong. When you finish something, you ought always to begin something new.” 17 likes
“A house with nothing old in it seems - unseasoned.” 13 likes