Start by marking “Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World” as Want to Read:
Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World

Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  362 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
it is the inside story behind the creation of disney world
Published 2010 by Ayefour Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Project Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project Future

Josh McConnell
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, disney
Not sure what is with all of the negative reviews... People I guess went in assuming the book was about something it's not. Personally, I couldn't put this book down and read it in one day. Fascinating account of how Walt Disney World came to be from the idea to scouting land to the spy-like secrecy to purchase land to legal stuff. If you are a Disney fan or just enjoy reading about some intense project management, check this one out for sure.
Michael Scott
After The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company, I decided to read a trilogy about theme park design, and stopped at 31 Months in Japan: The Building of a Theme Park, Theme Park Design: Behind The Scenes With An Engineer, and Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World. Theme parks are large-scale parks on a given grand topic, such as the entire world of Disney characters in Disneyland or everything aquatic in Waterworld; such a park can easily attract ten million visitor ...more
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in the genesis of the Disney theme park idea, the subterfuge and misdirection involved in the land purchases for Disney World, and how the company got around Florida property rules and restrictions through legal classifications, this book is for you. If you're interested in flying elephants or even Imagineers, you're better off with something else.

There is a certain brand of Disney Geek that will be absolutely enthralled with this book, but others will find it rather dry. I
Heidi
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a legal history of the actions and events that allowed the Disney Co. To make WDW so drastically different from Disneyland. At times, it's dry and unless you're an attorney or have a very legal mind, it's probably best to skim some parts. But I found it overall very interesting to learn the of the strategic path they took to create exactly what they wanted. For any Disney fan, it's probably super interesting.
Dan Herman
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a land development Ph.D thesis. If you're interested in the regulatory and legal challenges of building an amusement park, enter through the book's gates with a joyous heart to your own Happiest Place on Earth. If you're looking for any information on Disney, Disney World or the actual engineering/Imagineering/design/philosophy/anything of amusement parks, get a ticket for a different ride.
Andrea
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
While this may have read like stereo instructions, it definitely provided all of the facts that one could be looking for about the creation and execution of Disneyworld. If you're interested in the subject, this is an awesome book (especially if you're writing a paper or doing research); otherwise i would probably pass unless you're like me and just love random facts like it was almost in MI.
Eric
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very geeky and not really for casual Disney Fans... as it is a bit 'text-booky'. Hardcore people who get into the nuts & bolts of it all will find it fascinating.
Brian Dankese
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve read many books about Disney in my life, so I thought I had a pretty good idea about what I was getting myself into. The main reason I wanted to read this book was because I wanted to learn facts and hear stories that I had never heard before. ‘Project Future’ undoubtedly is a good, solid, readable book. However, I do believe that this book also has a very select audience. This book isn’t really meant for a fan of Disney who just wants to learn about Disney World. This book gets very in dep ...more
John Gregory
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you want an entertaining story about the creation of the biggest vacation destination in the world, you will be sorely disappointed. Unless you want an essay-like story of Florida land and municipal management regulations in the mid-60s, don't bother.
John
Project Future provides a concise, readable introduction to the legal and entrepreneurial history behind the creation of the Walt Disney World Resort. The book is a breezy 178 pages in length, and the author acknowledges the deliberately limited scope of such a volume: "My goal," he writes, "was to create an interesting book that would, whether relaxing on the beach, flying in a plane to Disney World, or anywhere else, provide the reader with a look at how the magic of the Walt Disney World Reso ...more
Dave B
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I had heard an interview with the author on the WDW Radio podcast, and was fairly well prepared about what the content would be like. I knew that this was going to be a fact based book, which used primary sources for its content.

Overall the book is well written and a very easy read. At 204 official pages, it doesn't take long to get through all of the content. I did feel as if some details and content were repeatedly presented as new content. These repeats caused it to feel a little jarring and
Dan
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
There was a lot of good background on the scouting Disney employees did in order to select their Florida location for Disney World, and equally good information on the secret real estate maneuvers they undertook to purchase the land. However, I had hoped for more information on how the Reedy Creek Improvement District and its board operate to govern WDW. That is an ongoing success story that I wanted more insight into. Sadly, I didn't get it.
Lauren
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I had higher hopes for this book. It reads like a legal research paper. Very dry and factual, but feels like it's missing details that do not pertain to the story that the author wants to present. Very interesting how Disney was able to pull off covert land purchases of this magnitude without everyone knowing.
Lynne
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gift, disney
OK. Good for Disney World nerds like myself. A bit dry and heavy on the details. Also, written by a journalist, so it reads like its written at a fifth-grade reading level. While that isn't a horrible thing, it also doesn't make for super interesting reading. Definitely had a slew of interesting tidbits that I hadn't heard elsewhere.
Redfox5
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disney, usa, travel, history
Anyone hoping for the construction of Disney World will be disappointed. This is more about the legal side of things. How Disney managed to secretly buy all the land for the World. It was interesting but I was hoping more for how they started building. Why some rides made it and others didn't etc. However I am very glad that Florida was picked. <3 Disney World :)
Tracey
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disney
An interesting read if you're really, really into the history & behind the scenes aspects of Walt Disney World, especially from the legal viewpoint.

The author did a good job of taking very dry material and injecting life into it - tho it's still probably more of a reference book than a leisure read.
MissM
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Interesting though sadly much more dry then I had hoped. There wasn't much in here I didn't already know from other books (such as Florida's Disney World: Promises and Problems.) The book just basically listed events without any commentary or storytelling.
Erika
Mar 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Wow, this book was SPECTACULARLY boring. I expected something a little more compelling than paragraph after paragraph of real estate transactions and legislation, but that's pretty much what this was.
Greg Matzkevich
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
The only book I can find dealing with the legal wrangling of the entire Disney development. Also written pretty well, not too much heavy legal mumbo-jumbo for what could have been a law school case study.
June
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting story which describes the making of Disneyworld, loaded with interesting facts about the politics of locating the parks in Orlando. And a quick read. But not necessarily one I would recommend unless you had a specific interest in the subject.
Amy Defilippo
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book has good info, but it could have been presented better. The writing seemed very disjointed to me; there was a lack of flow to the book. I would have appreciated a complete chronological telling of the story instead.
Laurel
Jan 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
NOT what I was hoping for. I wanted to read tales of breaking soil, installing rides, the more "Disney" side of things. This was long, wordy book on legislatures, law codes, and land acquisitions. The last 2 pages sum up the entire book in a timeline. Self-proclaimed Disniac, NOT a fan.
Ray
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: disney
This is a very dry book, and took me quite some time to get through. Don't get me wrong, it is interesting, but at least to me, not a quick read. This is a more nuts and bolts as to the process of the creation of Disney World rather than the magical read many might think it is.
Mykl Roventine
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
More the story of acquiring the land and getting the unique rights to build and operate DisneyWorld. Super technical (LOTS of information on draining land and municipal steps) but interesting nonetheless.
Kyle Nichols
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a heavy book when it comes to the land dealings, political maneuvers, and legal background of what it took to get Disney World in Orlando Florida. Yet I think this book is a must for any hardcore Disney World fan. Great insight and backstory that I've never read anywhere else.
Chris
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great book with loads of details regarding the Florida Project.
January
Aug 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting book. Who knew land acquisition could be so shady and intriguing. Now I want to read about how WDW was actually built.
Wendy
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting, but only for the diehard fans and those who are interested in the city ordinance type details.
Abraham Ray
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
nice read about walt disney world!
Jennifer Roberts
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
The author was upfront with his objective - a fact-based account on the creation of Walt Disney World. Interesting, but dry.
  • Walt Disney World Hidden History: Remnants of Former Attractions and Other Tributes
  • The Vault of Walt
  • Designing Disney
  • Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World
  • Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent
  • Walt Disney's Epcot Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow
  • Since the World Began: Walt Disney World--The First 25 Years
  • Dream It! Do It! (The People, The Places, The Projects): My Half-Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms
  • The EPCOT Explorer's Encyclopedia: A Guide to the Flora, Fauna, and Fun of the World's Greatest Theme Park!
  • How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real
  • The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom
  • Walt and the Promise of Progress City
  • Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance
  • Poster Art of the Disney Parks
  • In Service to the Mouse: My Unexpected Journey to Becoming Disneyland's First President: A Memoir