Start by marking “A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion & Lively Muse for the Writing Life” as Want to Read:

First published a decade ago, A Writer's Book of Days has become the ideal writing coach for thousands of writers. Newly revised, with new prompts, up-to-date Web resources, and more useful information than ever, this invaluable guide offers something for everyone looking to put pen to paper — a treasure trove of practical suggestions, expert advice, and powerful inspirati ...more
Paperback, Revised Edition, 272 pages
Published August 24th 2010 by New World Library (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Writer's Book of Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Writer's Book of Days

Start your review of A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion & Lively Muse for the Writing Life
Amanda Patterson
I carry this book with me everywhere I go. I teach people how to write books - novels, memoirs and works of non-fiction. Even writing teachers need help, and Judy Reeves provides perfect content for a writer's soul. I have found that most aspiring writers don't write - or even have a daily writing routine. This book helps you establish one.
Filled with writing advice and writing insight, inspirational quotations and daily prompts, this is a book that every writer should own.
I have more than 300 b
Janet
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a terrific source for writing prompts and a great book to give people who have just started writing.
SmarterLilac
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it's not John Gardener or anything, this book has a lot of excellent quotes from established authors about the often frustrating creation of this art. My favorite, via Lynn Sharon Schwartz:

"It's impossible to be a 'good girl' and a writer at the same time. When I was about 32, I decided to be a writer."

(Note to Ms. Schwartz—after finding that quote, I decided to read everything you'd ever published.)
Cathleen
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wish I had the tenacity to do every prompt. Alas, I am human.
kirkesque
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-research
This book was more beneficial than any other to my writing. It provides daily writing prompts for an entire year plus about a dozen extra for each month. Unlike numerous other writing prompt sort of books I've seen over the years, this one really struck well with me--the prompts coming in the form of a single descriptive sentence (some culled from writers/poets/artists work/sayings).

The way I did it was to not look ahead to any given day and wait until I was ready to sit down, then look at the d
Linda
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book ! I bought this for my kindle last year and I have been using a writing prompt every day. I like how it has 12 chapters, one for every month chock full of tips, hints, and fun stuff. and each chapter has writing prompts for every day of the month. I truly believe this book has kept me writing all year.
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you want to be a writer, you have to write. You can’t just think about writing or dream that someday you may put words down on paper. You also can’t expect that you’ll sit down and in three weeks you’ll have the next great American novel. No, you have to write.

A Writer’s Book of Days looks to create a writing habit. Writing needs to be done everyday, a regular writing appointment so to speak. Pen to paper. Write to write, not necessarily working on one particular piece but writing whatever ha
Hermetic Kitten
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love writing but struggle with motivation and constintency, this book is the one for you. The author is wise, positive and gentle. This book it the perfect push every writer needs to get the writing done, day after day. Seriously, if you like writing this book is a must have!
Rob Van velthoven
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in writing :)
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in writing or starting with writing and looking for a means to spark his or her creativeness.
This book introduced me to the concept of 'writing prompts' - short little sentences to use as starting points for short writing sessions. I started to use them and found that they bring out great creativeness and sometimes surprising results. Through writing prompts I've got to know characters of whose lurking presence I wasn't aware and I've delved into
Holli
I'm not sure about this book. It's kind of dry and dull, causing me to skim-read a lot, yet it has a lot of good information in it at the same time. I found it a bit one big info dump, more so than most how-to writing books, which colored my perceptions, I guess. It didn't help that the author used the same words repetitively in both sentences and paragraphs. As well as the same advice over and over. It quickly got in my nerves. What I liked about the book, and why I bought it to begin with, is ...more
Roger Hyttinen
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for writers. In addition to the year's worth of writing prompts, the book contains a plethora of valuable information on writing. You might find your muse right in this book as I found it to be a great motivational tool.
Katherine Marlowe
My favorite and most trusted book on writing. I rely on this book every time I have a bout of writer’s block, and I love the fantastic writing prompts. The book is designed to inspire you, to get you writing every day, and to help you get past all the things that are holding you back from writing.
Stephen
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book for anyone wanting to stimulate their writing, I highly recommend this book. If you find it , keep it. Great prompts, advice, and technique.
Naliza Fahro-Rozi
An awakening writing journey that lasts a whole year. Good exercise for new writers.
Maya
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I probably shouldn't write a review until a year passes, but.... this is fun. It took me awhile to actually believe that it was okay to start in at some point other than January 1st. In the forward, she tells you to leap in where you are and go look up the topic of the day and then write. So, after a week of waffling, I did. The topics are grouped in varying numbers, which is good because then they don't come of as a week and throw off anyone out there like me who wants the dates and the calenda ...more
Castles
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
It’s a surprisingly original book in this genre of books about writing. I’ve found it helpful, encouraging and helpful. Every end of an entry gives you a little prompt to think and write about as a exercise for each day of the year (which obviously I didn’t follow as reading it through the year but at one go).

Somewhere in the last third of the book it gets a little repetitive though.
Sarah Pascarella
Great prompts to get the creative juices flowing and a good daily reminder to work on something every day, even if you don't have much time. Reeves offers encouragement without sentimentality or overpromising, and she regularly acknowledges how writing is tricky and often arduous, which I appreciated. Recommended for newbies and veteran writers alike.
Soulitude
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely love this book. I've thought many times that if I ever start a writing group I would use this as the workbook for it. Its filled with many great subjects to write upon, and lots of tips. I also love the quotes in it.
I've read through this book, and now use it as a timely reference.
Lynda Allison
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read that provided much affirmation and many creative ideas for different aspects of writing using lively language and unique metaphors. Explores how to start, improve, and move forward with your writing and enjoy the journey.
Karin Zirk
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational from cover to cover.
Karen
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have 58 books about writing on my shelf. Judy's Reeves' A Writer's Book of Days is #59. But it's not on my shelf. It's beside my bed, in my studio, in my car, out on the back deck - wherever and whenever I'm going to write, A Writer's Book of Days is with me.
I love all of my writing books. They are inspiring and beautifully written just as you'd expect and hope a book about the writer's life would be. But Judy's book now has a special place in my heart as my #1 favourite writing book of all t
Lori Galaske
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is intended to be read over the course of a year: one chapter per month with plenty of writing practice exercises for each month. It's a light-hearted, inspirational, down-to-earth book on writing. It's chalk-full of tips, quotes from famous (and not-so-famous) authors, and methods to encourage your muse and creativity. It's well-organized and well-written. My highlighter just about gave out, and the number of pages I have dog-eared cause the top right corner of the book to bulge. It s ...more
Library Kat
I would have put this book on my currently reading list but it's taken me several months To get through it. I'm currently still on the section for March even though it may already I will try to update this post when I finished reading it away through the 1st time that it think it's going to be one of those books but more of a reference for writers have found it encouraging but what with very intense classes I have not had a chance to finish
Kristine
"Prompts" were mostly so brief and vague that I couldn't get any traction. After awhile I figure out "prompts" were not what I need any more - I don't have trouble getting the pen to move. This book did get me to try pen and paper seriously for the first time in years, pointing out that it makes you slow down and you have a record of every change you've made, unlike the delete key. Other good thoughts here and there but not in the end very useful.
Debbie Petersen Wolven
This book is full of ideas and a daily writing prompt. The problem I had was that many days the writing prompt for that day was a little meaningless and prompted nothing but guilt for failing. When I switched it up and paged through the prompts to try whatever struck me regardless of the corresponding date, it freed me up again.
Sierra Hunter
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Peter
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a nice book with some very practical advice for writers. I love the daily prompts. I think this book will stay on my currently reading list. I've attended free write sessions with Judy. She is a good teacher and a believer in writers helping writers.

M. Lawrence
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great book for those "in-between" times when you're not working on a project, or when you're stuck or when you just want to spend some time generating ideas or need encouragement for the writing life. Highly recommended!
Vicki Roberts
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by someone in my old writing group...and I'm thankful! It was a great read, and a continous source of inspiration. I carry it with me often. The writing prompts and the more in-depth suggestions truly get you to the place where the muse comes out and plays!
Yaaresse
I have a weakness for books about journals, storytelling, and language, but they tend to all start to sound the same after a while. Judy Reeves manages to find ways to avoid repetition and keep her material engaging.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • The True Secret of Writing: Connecting Life with Language
  • Twenty-eight Artists and Two Saints: Essays
  • Wall and Piece
  • The Making of a Story: A Norton Guide to Writing Fiction and Nonfiction
  • If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
  • And the Pursuit of Happiness
  • The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • Strange Planet
  • Girl with a Pearl Earring
  • The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

News & Interviews

“You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what’s burning inside you. And you edit to let the fire show through the smoke. ARTHUR PLOTNIK” 4 likes
“        • In your mind’s eye, create a photograph of your family posed together. Notice who’s leaning into whom, who’s touching, where hands are placed and eyes are focused. Look into the faces; write what you see. Write what happens right after the photo is snapped.” 0 likes