Start by marking “The City of Shifting Waters (Valérian and Laureline, #1)” as Want to Read:
The City of Shifting Waters (Valérian and Laureline, #1)

The City of Shifting Waters

(Valérian and Laureline #1)

Galaxity, capital of the Terran Empire in the 28th century. Valerian and Laureline are agents who protect mankind from rogue time travellers. Now they are sent to New York in 1986 to intercept Galaxity's worst megalomaniac, Xombul-except that in 1986, the world is in ruins and New York is about to be swallowed by the ocean. The two agents must navigate the shifting waters ...more
Published July 2010 by Cinebook Ltd (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The City of Shifting Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City of Shifting Waters

Caro the Helmet Lady
This review is about the whole series in general.
description
Before I discovered manga, before I ever got any taste for American comic books, I was lucky enough to meet European comics. Once I read Thorgal, Asterix, Pelisse and Valerian series the bar was set and it was set high.
So now that I learned that Luc Besson is (quite sneakily) making a movie adaptation for Valerian comic book I got so excited that I decided to reread good old stuff. And by old I mean it is in fact old school sci-fi that started in
Daniel
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Lepi crtezi, slatka ali malo naivna pricica ali i odlicna postavka za lep dugacak serijal stripova.

Mada kada se uzme da je ovo iz kasnih 60tih onda je prosto fenomenalno i svaka cast Pjeru i Zan Klodu na ovome.

Cim nadjem sledece nastavke bacam se na citanje.
Cathy (cathepsut)
My first time with Valerian and Laureline. 3D chess, holy Star Trek! Originally published in 1976. Has a pretty old-fashioned and, dare I say it, cartoonish look to it. But then it is about 40 years old. Laureline is mostly in the sidelines, with a supporting role and the whole shebang is a little sexist, but considering the comic's age I can live with that.

My free Kindle edition (kindle unlimited/amazon prime reading) from 2010 does not have the best resolution, the speech bubbles are a little
Bil
This is a rather disappointing classic science fiction comics. The City of Shifting Waters is an old school comic created by French writer, Pierre Christin, way back in the 1970s.

Valerian and her assistant (emphasis on the assistant), Laureline, are sent back to 1986 apocalyptic New York to capture a rogue time traveler and to prevent the villain from changing the past.

Not much really happens in the story and you can easily see that the narrative is laced with misogyny which is expected consider
Nicholas Karpuk
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have not had the best of luck with French comics. Perhaps it's the casual sexism that seems present whether the book was written last year or 40 years ago. Maybe it's the essay's worth of text on each page no matter how idiotically straightforward the plot is. Or it could just be a petty hatred of the awful fashion and hairstyles.

I'll acknowledge I only picked up this one in particular because it's getting a big budget movie adaptation. My generally thinking is that if someone thinks it's ins
Madelyn
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not a great first experience with graphic novels 😂. The plot was fairly boring and the writing was pitiable (maybe because it was translated from French, but I'm not sure). However, I do forsee myself reading other series (I may want to try manga, too) in the future.

Any suggestions??
Katie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
After seeing the beautiful piece of eye-candy that is the trailer for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, I had to see if it was based on a book. And it is! Specifically, a French comic series that started back in 1967 & ran until 2010. It's said that some of its concepts can be seen in The Fifth Element & Star Wars. Unfortunately, trying to track down where to start in English was tricky (no thanks to Goodreads, where the listing for these is a bit of a hot mess). START WITH TH ...more
Derek Royal
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've read any of the Valerian and Laureline series. Edward and I are going to be discussing a number of these Christin and Mézières stories for our upcoming Euro Comics episode, doing so in anticipation of the new Valerian movie. My sense of things, given this first volume, is that the movie probably won't retain the "lighter" side of this property. Mézières's art adds a more innocent (not the right word, I know) or youthful feel to the stories, even though Christin's subj ...more
Miriam
I might have enjoyed this in middle or high school. Reading now, I found the characters flat and the story, or at least the style in which it was presented, dull. I'm willing to believe the dialog is better in the original language. Perhaps funnier? I felt like it was meant to be humorous, but the humor was left out by mistake. I ended up skimming out of boredom.

The art was too cartoonish for my taste.

Flooded cities are always a plus, though.
Diz
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This story of time traveling agents in a environmentally destroyed New York City in 1986 to find a megalomaniac madman from the future is a fun adventure to read. I found the retro art to be charming, and the use of colors is different from what one typically sees in comics these days. The downside is that this was published more that 40 years ago, so there are some stereotypes regarding race and gender that would probably make modern readers uncomfortable.
Timo
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is the Valerian I remember the best from my youth. And it still works! Good, high adventure. Time has not biten this a bit. It is still as good as it was when I read it the first time in the 1970s.
Jen
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting concept, otherwise I would knock it down to one-two stars for being extremely dated, sexist, and outrageously cartooney in personality depictions.
Sarah Fraser
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
The plot and the basic concept behind the world in this story is very engaging and cool... But oh my Lanta, is it poorly executed! It's very "tell, not show" (everyone thinks out loud in dialogue bubbles, instead of the artists showing us the characters' thought processes through illustration).

It's also hokey as all getout. I feel that Laureline is mishandled-- she proves to be a capable, smart, independent problem-solver, but she is still forced to endure stereotypical/ antifeminist sentiments,
Lindsay
I've only been able to find this in the french version. Never in my life have I been so excited to be bilingual! ;)

Update: Okay, so fun story. Unlikely, as only a time-space travel story can be. And a little sexist at times (apparently, women's lib will take a giant step backwards in the 24th century, if a male author from 1970 is any kind of fortuneteller).

I have high-ish hopes for the movie...
Ryan Silberstein
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read in prep for the movie. Love the art. Great and exciting cartooning, gorgeous colors.

It's amazing that this pulpy time travel tale pre-dates Star Wars, and I wonder how much it owes to Flash Gordon. Looking forward to reading more!
Titas (I read in bed)
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If the whole series is this enjoyable, I am gonna squeee like a happy pig.
Give all the stars!!!!!
Scottsdale Public Library
Seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie, "Valerian - And the City of 1000 Planets", made me wonder about the backstory to this interesting tale. The movie is based on a series of graphic novels, of which The City of Shifting Waters is the first. There's a true retro look and feel to the story, which originally appeared in 1968, and it cleverly introduces our two main characters as time-traveling agents from the future. Their mission is to return to the deteriorating Earth of 1986, chasing afte ...more
Celtic
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
I would have loved this if I'd read it when it was first published, if that had been possible. Now, though I can see the attraction, I'm less impressed. No regrets about reading it but it doesn't inspire me to go out and get the rest.
James
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art, fiction, sf, patriarchal
I was hoping for some Moebius or Bilal style avant-garde comic art, instead it was drawn in a pedestrian '60s style. Laureline is the female sidekick and doesn't have much agency, as she says, she's there because she can cook. The plot reminds me of period YA SF. I guess it was OK as a read once comic but I'm not reading anymore in the series.
Brittany Blake
Loved the whole "Space-Time Traveling" theme. And the whole end of the world, NYC vibes. The illustration was pretty dope too! A lot of text on the pictures but it's okay. Might consider reading the sequels. Definitely looking forward to the movie with Cara Delvigne!
William Fuentes
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty cool old school comic. I requested that my local public library buy it since the movie is coming out soon. I will read the next volume if my library gets it.
Texhnolyze
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
- Vale per tutta la serie.

Probabilmente è il fumetto più importante e influente degli anni ’60, che ha avuto ripercussioni anche al di fuori del mondo fumetto. O meglio, che è iniziato in quegli anni. Infatti la serie ha avuto lunga vita, da Brutti Sogni, tomo 0, a L’Apri Tempo, tomo 21, e per oltre 40 anni gli autori sono rimasti sempre gli stessi. Questa è una caratteristica che si riflette anche nella serie dal momento in cui le missioni a cui prendono parte V e L sono svariate e diverse, e p
Doreen
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Got this for free from Amazon!

Anyway, despite a childhood of Tintin and Asterix comics (among others) I'd never encountered this title till I came across the buzz surrounding the upcoming movie. The artwork is pretty good -- perhaps a bit more cluttered than I prefer of European comics of the time -- and the story/dialog surprisingly light on the racism and sexism prevalent of the era. I don't know if I care enough to seek out the other books, but it's certainly something I'd recommend to voraci
Nuno Gil Franco
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
There's is a little problem regarding some of the early belgian bande dessinée: sometimes, it's like the books are written for kids. Not that I'm complaining, because that way everyone can enjoy it, but sometimes I want more, whatever that more is. The art is, as always, gorgeous, and the writing is heavy on words (as is the norm on BD) but I still like this book as I did when I read it the first time as a kid.
Csenge
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read that gave me a strong sense of nostalgia. It brings everything that a classic sci-fi comic book series needs; dashing heroes, exciting adventures, weird tech, and a pretty cool post-apocalyptic setting. It was not particularly deep or surprising, but it was very likable.
Josh Storey
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The plot is a little trite, but the style is very endearing. It's definitely an artifact of an earlier time in terms of pacing and narrative style. Laureline has no problem pointing out misogynistic BS, which is great. The art is wonderful.
Jonathan
An interesting period comic following time travelling adventurers.
Jason
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really enjoyed this old school art and adventure, which was nicely scripted and well paced.
April
Wow! He wrote it in '67, & was already fortelling the melting of the polar ice cap in 1987! It is contemporary today! Escape from new York meets Buck Rogers!

• Le Trio de l'étrange (Yoko Tsuno #1)
  • Wake: Fire and Ash (Sillage, #1)
  • Le Rige (La Quête de l'oiseau du temps, #3)
  • The Three Elders of Aran (Thorgal, #3)
  • Les murailles de Samaris (Les Cités obscures, #1)
  • Scars (Orbital #1)
  • Antarès, Épisode 1
  • La Fille sous la dunette
  • Chihuahua Pearl
  • Z comme Zorglub (Spirou et Fantasio, #15)

Valérian and Laureline (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • L'Empire des mille planètes (Valérian, #2)
  • Le Pays sans étoile (Valérian, #3)
  • Bienvenue sur Alflolol (Valérian, #4)
  • Les Oiseaux du Maître (Valérian, #5)
  • L'Ambassadeur des Ombres (Valérian, #6)
  • Sur les terres truquées (Valérian, #7)
  • Les Héros de l'équinoxe (Valérian, #8)
  • Métro Châtelet direction Cassiopée (Valérian #9)
  • Brooklyn Station, Terminus Cosmos (Valérian and Laureline, #10)
  • Les Spectres d'Inverloch (Valérian, #11)