Start by marking “Warsworn (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)” as Want to Read:
Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)

Warsworn

(Chronicles of the Warlands #2)

Lara is the Warprize

A powerful healer, she has sworn an oath of loyalty to Keir the Warlord, and his people. Now the Warlord and his chosen mate face enemies within the tribe and danger lurks on every hand as they journey toward Keir's homeland.

When they reach a village marked with the warnings of the plague, Keir forbids Lara to heal the sick, commanding that she not ris
Mass Market Paperback, 325 pages
Published April 4th 2006 by Tor Paranormal Romance

To ask other readers questions about Warsworn, please sign up.
Theresa Following Warprize and Warsworn is Warlord. There is a novel focused on Atira and Heath called Warcry. In addition, the author is currently working on…moreFollowing Warprize and Warsworn is Warlord. There is a novel focused on Atira and Heath called Warcry. In addition, the author is currently working on a novel centered on Simus. You can follow her on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/authorbethva...) for the latest info!(less)

Start your review of Warsworn (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
Jane Stewart
Anna lost in stories *A*
I decided to write just one review for these three books in the series, cause they all tell a story of one couple, Lara and Keir :) originally, I rated the first two book 4 stars, but after a few weeks have passed, I decided to give all three of them 3 stars instead… mostly because the more I thought about it, the more I was sure that it was only a mediocre story for me… don’t get me wrong, I found the first book on sale and was in a mood for a fantasy-ish / historical story with some sort of ar ...more
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Nope. Too boring. I skimmed a lot of this because so very, very bored. The plague was the entire plot of this book and that was too much. Especially since there was no hooray, I found an answer & cure.

The genre of this book is incorrectly classified as fantasy romance. It's more so a medieval historical romance in a made up world. I think of magic and mythological creatures when I think fantasy books - there are none in this. It's very disappointing.

I like Keir, the male mc, and most of the ch
 Rosebud
Princess Lara offers herself as a sacrifice to Warlord Kier, agreeing to be his slave to save her brother, the King, and country from being ravaged and pillaged by the Fireland warriors.

Returning back to the Firelands, Warlord Kier does not treat Lara as a slave or demand any carnal pleasures from her, though he keeps her by his side and in his bed. Communication between the two is a challenge as they speak different languages but as his slave she only needs to know the basics. Lara finally see
Laura (Kyahgirl)
So, I am re-reading this series and decreased my rating on this particular book because found the characters so irritating. I still like this whole series, even though a couple of books are weaker in their characters than others.
K.G. White
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a miserable read. I enjoyed the first book for its' ideas, there was a lot of greatness that was not quite realized, but I liked it enough to overlook its' shortcomings. Those shortcomings were exponentially more pronounced in this book. It was incredibly boring, dull, poorly conceived and unclear in its' intentions. I found myself agreeing with Iften's side: Lara is an incredibly selfish e-hat who put thousands of warriors at risk because she would not listen to anyone else. She c ...more
Minni Mouse
Yeah...been there, done that. A shame, all those deaths.

THE GOOD
...?

THE BAD
This book's flaws are everything the other reviewers made them out to be: the plot is slow and plodding; Xylara's recklessness (or adherence to the Hippocratic oath?) and the dastardly results were deeply unfortunate; and the book as a whole doesn't seem to be necessary to continue on with the trilogy.

THE VERDICT
Eh. I skimmed this book in under an hour because I read enough reviews to know it wasn't going to be a good e
Carolyn F.
I liked this book up until the cliffhanger ending. Lots of sorrow, but I could figure out who was murdered and who just died. Good book overall.
T.J. Shaw
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I love the world Ms. Vaughan has created. The scenes with Lara teaching Keir about chess and how it spreads throughout the camp and grows into a massive chess tournament are hysterical! I really got a kick out of those scenes.

Keir still knocks my socks off. He is one sexy and sometimes very stubborn man who loves Lara completely. And Lara is an amazing heroine, amazing not because she’s a warrior or tough (she’s actually pretty weak compared to the other women), but because of her dedication to
Angela James
I'm rereading this book, because I want to read the 4th, but I'm already wondering if I really want to re-read it. I didn't like it nearly as much as the first, and in fact, because of that I've never made it to the third book. I wonder if it would be better to skip (or skim?) this one and move to the 3rd. I find Lara just not nearly as likeable in this book, and in fact, culpable of being a bit selfish in endangering everyone else.
Christa
An unsatisfactory follow up to the excellent Warprise, Warsworn's plot drags and the main character Lara actions seem out of character from her strong debut in Warprise.

The TL;DR review

I really enjoyed the first book warprise and quickly bought this book. I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would.

Things I liked
- further exploration of the Firewalker culture
- Marcus!
- Lara teaching chess to Keir
- the quiet love between Lara and Keir

Things I didn't like
- The plague plot line dragge
Katyana
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I don't know.

I mean, still no elements of fantasy. And I found Lara to be ... reaaaaaallllllly stupid in this one. I don't entirely know why Kier likes her. Plus, everyone is so sensitive about what her ways are, and being respectful of them, but she's pretty disdainful of their ways, and doesn't even try. Honestly, she's kind of an asshole.

And the Joden arc was depressing. And Gils. And Iften is just such a complete asshole. I don't know why Kier hasn't just killed him, but frankly it feels li
Gabriela
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first book but a solid fantasy romance read. What I really enjoy about this series is that the adversities and plot twists feel real and are not overly dramatic as we often see in a lot of adult romance stories.
Kristin
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
All I wanted was to read the second book in this fantasy romance and escape reality for a little bit. However, I soon learned that this book revolves around the plague. So, it turned out to not be much of an escape. I guess that's what I get for diving right in and not reading the synopsis.

While this story does take a much slower pace, there was still a lot that happens. Between Keir's second in command trying to take over, to Lara pretty much bringing the plague to Keir's people, there was quit
Kristy Mills
This is a continuation of the Chronicles of the Warlands series. This was hard to get through. Not because it was a bad story. But because it was good. I’m invested in these characters story and their lives. Which makes it hard to see them go through hard times. It was painful to see things start to go bad. And not just the loss of life but the obstacles and opposition that is starting to mount against Kier and Lara. That’s the part that was hard to get through. And it’s really only beginning. T ...more
Jen Davis
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn’t love this book the way I loved Warprize. But I did like it. Overall, it maintains the tone and the feel of the original. The worldbuilding is growing. The sex is a little steamier. The pacing, well, this isn’t really an action series. It’s about choices the characters make –and their implications. In the first book, it was about Lara’s decision to become the Warprize and the effect that choice had on her people, the people of the Plains, and her new Warlord. In this installment, it’s ab ...more
Lover of Romance
In the second installment, the "Warsworn" we continue off from where the first book ended. Keir and Lara, are together, and are traveling their way to the plains so that Lara can become the official Warprize from the elders of their people. Lara has left everything she knows for the man she loves, but life is about to get a bit harder than she imagined. They stumble on a village, a village that is suffering from the plague, and despite Kier's protests, Lara goes in with a couple of her guards, a ...more
Misty
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"I didn't know what it meant."
"Didn't know what forever meant."
"'Forever' means every day, every breath. Through the mistakes that we make, through the love that we share between our bodies, through illness we suffer, through sorrow, grief, and joy. All of it, Lara."
"It's the total of all our shared moments, good and bad, perfect and ugly."
"What I am trying to say is that now that I do know what it means, it makes it mean so much more."
"Forever."

"One thing I know. I have no regret in claiming yo
Cindy
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in the Warlands series, and for me it was just about as good as Warprize. I really like the way Mrs. Vaughan can tell a story. I felt like I was right there with the people of the Plains. I enjoyed learning more about the Plains people and their customs. This story picks up were Warprize left off so if you haven't read it read it first. I love how Lara goes after what she wants, and how she does it so gracefully and courageously. I have enjoyed watching Lara and Keir's relat ...more
puppitypup
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Fantasy/Romance Stepped up a notch!

One thing I find lacking in the Historic Romance genre as a whole is a true sense of danger. For me, it's not til tragedy draws near that my heart fully commits, that the characters and their story become unforgettable.

This novel came close, very close. We have the unimaginable devastation of a plague hitting the warrior camp, with no allowance made for the poor reader's emotions. (That's a compliment.)

Plus, we have the increasing probability that Lara's positi
Kendall Berg
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
These books just get better.

This book has more of a focus on Lara and her healing skills than on Kier and their relationship. That being said they still show each other their love and fight a dangerous plague together - but all is not well for the warlord and his prize.

I can't really write much on this book because it is a good deal shorter than the first book and not as much happens but basically there is a plague, Lara almost dies, Gils helps her find a cure, some key people die (*GASP*).

surprised

Its a
Beth
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo
So glad I am not reading these while they were written! Having to wait for book 3 would be horrid.
What will the political situation be? Was I right about the opium?
Lourdes Bejarano
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of all, this is a direct sequel to the first book; it starts a few days after the end of Warprize. While there is some recapping, I strongly suggest to read them in order to fully enjoy them.
About the book, I liked it. It continues the world building, which is very good as was the pace. Keir is a serious contender for book boyfriend. He's strong, both physically and emotionally, kind, loyal, loving thinks before acting (aside from a couple of instances he regrets) and he learns from his mi
Bethyboo ღ The Book Addict ღ
Oh lord this book disappointed me. It disappointed me greatly. I rather much liked the first book so i was excited to buy this one and it turned out to just be eh? Not fair! So many things about this book that just frustrated me honestly.

(view spoiler)
María
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens in this book took me by surprise. It's not the event itself, but more the author's choice. I can already tell the next one is going to be full of surprises because the first two have just being preparing us, building the world, setting the foundation. I don't know how everything's going to be solved in just one book, I don't want Keir and Lara's story to be over but at least we have the sequels.
Sunny
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars because the situation is impossible and the story could've been deeply depressing. However, this is a story about resilience, forgiveness and recovery. It took the relationship between the characters to a deeper level. Loved it.
Suz
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio, romance
Four stars for being emotionally evocative without being too over wrought, for doing an exceptional job of making the entire book essentially just character development and continued world building and still decidedly readable.

Two stars for the shit ending.

Hailee (haibooklovers)
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this one is definitely slower than the first, with a helluva lot more sadness, but still a stellar book.
Jean
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)
  • Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1)
  • The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2)
  • A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)
  • Breath of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #2)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Claimed by the Horde King (Horde Kings of Dakkar, #2)

Elizabeth A. Vaughan is the author of the Chronicles of the Warlands, a fantasy romance trilogy from Tor Books: Warprize (her first novel), Warsworn, and Warlord..

She's always loved fantasy and science fiction, and has been a fantasy role-player since 1981. By day, Beth's secret identity is that of a lawyer, pr

Chronicles of the Warlands (6 books)
  • Warprize  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4)
  • WarDance (Chronicles of the Warlands, #5)
  • Warsong (Chronicles of the Warlands, #6)