Start by marking “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,777,231 Ratings  ·  17,109 Reviews
Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy find their way through an old wardrobe into the world of Narnia. There, they unite with Aslan to fight the White Witch and save Narnia from perpetual Darkness.
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published October 16th 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, please sign up.
Peter Yoder LION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that…moreLION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that reading the books in their original published order is the best way to experience them. Here are the reasons:

1. Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe through Silver Chair follow the childhoods of the Pevensies and company, and thematically flow best when not interrupted by Horse and His Boy. They also reveal the world at the best pace for new readers.
2. There is a powerful nostalgia factor that you get when reading the Horse and His Boy that is diminished if you read it right after Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe. Magician and Last Battle also play off that nostalgia.
3. The Magician's Nephew has allusions to another book that would not make sense if you had read Magician first. It is also experienced much better when you already have a picture of Narnia from the other books. You kind of spoil the surprises if you read it first.

If C.S. Lewis' was reorganizing the books to be in chronological order, it was an effort that never made its way into the books. I was flabbergasted when publishers started printing editions differently. Reordering the books in my mind is like recutting Memento. Will it still tell a story? yes. Will the story be as good? no. At least not without serious rework.

The published order is:
1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle(less)
Cher Depends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not…moreDepends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not until I was in my late 20s did I find out that there were more in a series! I found them, bought the paperback series and enjoyed them as a treasure found. I loved Harry Potter series and own it too. I enjoy reading teen and young adult fiction. I enjoy fantasy, sci fi and time travel books. I did not have a clue about the religious overtones. BTW I"m 70years young.(less)

Patrick
This is the first book where I chronicled my thoughts as I read through it with my son. I don't know how easy it is for y'all to access the record of those here on Goodreads, but if you're looking for a detailed account of my thoughts on the book, you can look there.

I'll say this. I've read a lot of books to my little boy these last couple years, and I can honestly say that This book is among the best. Good, tight writing, good description. Good action. Also there's not a lot of dead space or tr
Bookdragon Sean
“If ever they remembered their life in this world it was as one remembers a dream.”

The real world is boring; it’s mundane, unimaginative and dry. So humans create fantasy as a means of escape. We watch movies or go to the theatre to see something more interesting than the standard realities of the everyday. We paint pictures and gaze up at the stars. We play video games and roleplay. We dream. Authors like C.S Lewis and J.K Rowling show us this miserable world; they show us its tones of grey.
J.G. Keely
My greatest disappointment in 'The Screwtape Letters' was that Lewis was not able to demonstrate what made his good people good or his bad people bad. The closest he got to defining goodness was that you could tell the good people from the vague aura of light that surrounded them--and which even shone in their cat. In this book, the cat is much bigger.

Aslan had no character, he was just a big, dull stand-in. Lewis often tells us how great he is, but never demonstrates what it is that makes him g
James
5 stars to C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Adored it. I must have read it three or four times as a child. Hits all the spots in my reading dreams. a forest. A large family. Talking animals. Secrets. Mystery. Drama. Hidden messages. Saga and series. Every child should read it.

Imagination runs free here. 4 children stuck a house. 1 goes exploring and finds herself lost in the world of Narnia. And the rest follow her.

Siblings fight. The book shows what happens when you don't lis
Manuel
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.
It was first read to me in 4th grade. We would all come in from lunch and our teacher would read to us for about 30 minutes before we would start class.
I remember this book because it wasnt read to us by Mrs Graham, but instead it would be read by Mr Goodwin, her long-haired, bearded, Birkenstock wearing teacher's aid.
Over the next few weeks we were enthralled by this story, we couldnt wait for lunch period to be over so we could hear what was happening in this magic kingdom
Debra
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What are you doing on that wardrobe? Narnia Business!!

I read this book as a book challenge and adored it. I had not read this book before and did not know of its existence as a child. I would have loved it even more then, I imagine.

Four English children, removed from London for their safety during WWII, are sent to a country manor to live with a professor. Lucy is the first to enter the wardrobe and be transported into the secret world of Narnia. There she meets a talking faun who eventually wa
Luffy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's it with British literature? How from a relatively small pool of population can such creative writers emerge? I don't like C.S Lewis's non fiction books, but here he knocked the ball out of the park.

Aslan, whose antics and decision making and beliefs are difficult to map, is the way by which the children triumph. If Alice in Wonderland was positively secular, TLTWaTW is heavily defined by the Christian mythos.

There are many shining examples of pause to let the tension play out, before a li
Miranda Reads
One day, you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.
It's like C.S. Lewis was speaking to me. I never read these as a child but now that I'm in my mid-twenties, I'm feeling the urge to visit all those childhood classics I never read. And I'm so glad I did.
Peter did not feel very brave; indeed, he felt he was going to be sick. But that made no difference to what he had to do.
Four siblings on a rainy day play hide-and-seek. The youngest discovers an incredible secret in the back
Cait • A Page with a View
I hadn't read this in forever, so it was fun to come back to. I definitely remembered it being much more detailed, though. It's a pretty fast read... so that's funny how much my mind added to the story as a kid. But I still adore these books so much!!

And I still think this movie was one of the best adaptations ever.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1), C.S. Lewis
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis, published by Geoffrey Bles in 1950. It is the first published and best known of seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia (1950–1956). Among all the author's books it is also the most widely held in libraries. Although it was written as well as published first in the series, it is volume two in recent editions, which are sequenced by the stor
Jonathan Terrington
A Defence of C.S. Lewis...or a brief attempt at such

Some thoughts recently crossed my mind in regards to arguments one could offer as a defence of the Christian side of this novel. The main arguments against this novel as a 'Christian allegory' that I have heard are: 1)Aslan is not a strong Christ-figure 2)That C.S. Lewis 'preaches' a black and white morality. So I'm going to roughly address them from my perspective and hope it encourages some discussion.

1) I will agree that Aslan is not a stron
Dem
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Novels were not a part of my life until my mid teens and therefore I missed out wonderful reading experiences like the Chronicles of Narnia but while I wish I had read more as a child I am having an absolute ball catching up on all these enchanting books when I can appreciate them on a different level

image:
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is a compelling story that is both enchanting and filled with fantasy and adventure and I think can be appreciated by both adults and children alike.

Write
Aimee
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this book and got so much more out of it than the first time. The symbolism & parallels to basic Christianity stuck out.
*turkish delight is our human nature, prone to addiction, selfishness and wrongdoing
*Peter said about Edmund, "We should go after him. After all he is our brother." Even though he had just betrayed them and was causing grief they didn't mistreat or disown him.
*The very mention of Aslan's name caused certain positive feelings to come over them all they didn'
Shovelmonkey1
The Role (bibli)call:

The big cuddly cat = Jesus. Strange that a lion should be chosen to represent the big man when Lions are notoriously aggressive, solitary carnivores who are more likely to eat any potential apostles than than teach or lead them.

The white witch = Satan or Eve the temptress depending on which side of the tree of knowledge you're most likely to be barking up. Famed for a monochrome wardrobe in the A/W line only. Like Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, she has cancel
Manju
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1950-59, 2018, 4-star
late to the party but better late than never. :D
Alex Farrand

“Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.”

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the second novel of C.S. Lewis series, The Chronicles of Narnia. Or it is the first novel, depending on the order you are reading them in. I am reading them in chronological order, instead of the order of publication. This novel is about four siblings, who unexpectedly discover an enchanting new world through a seemingly normal looking wardrobe. What adventures await for these children in
Urmi  ✨ BookishPixieOfForbiddenForest✨
“Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.”

In this magical whirlwind of Narnia, four children – Lucy, Peter, Susan and Edmund all enter Narnia – a magical world where animals talk and the White Witch who reigns as Queen makes it always winter and never Christmas. They enter at different times, but from the same place – the old Wardrobe. Lucy enters first and encounters the Faun who is in the pay of the White Witch and tries to kidnap her. Edmund, who enters second, finds
Jason Koivu
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It dawned on me the other day that I'd never read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. What an oversight! I had to fix this.

I knew the story. When we were kids, one of my cousins was all about this book and liked to tell me about it. I remember absolutely bawling my eyes out when the 1979 cartoon version aired on tv and Aslan was subdued. And then I also knew it through the more recent movie adaptation. Now, having read the actual book, it turns out I already as good as read the book. It varie
Laz
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, really
Well, can you blame me for loving this? I certainly hope not. It's Christmas and I feel like a little kid and I was craving something to make me feel like I am one, indeed, and this book travelled me to a wondrous world full of heroes and of course a villain. The ride was awesome and I found the characters warm and fuzzy despite the eternal cold that had been placed upon Narnia. Now, they're all free of the curse of the White Witch thanks to Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. The kings and queens of ...more
Mandy
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read as a little girl and loved it. Loved the mysterious places and fantasy lives and I always wanted my wardrobe to enter into a magical land. This book is worth more than 5 stars.
Rebekah Rodda
What a great family read aloud. My eight, six and four year old (and husband) enjoyed hearing this. The four year old flagged a bit but the eight year old got the allegory. A fantastic story, so well told.
Sophia Triad
Every time I read this story, I feel happy. I love fairytales and mythology and I believe this books is the perfect example of how fantasy, mythology and fairytales can be combined and create a strong result.

1. First of all there is obviously the “The Snow Queen” fairytale by Hans Christian Andersen, the ultimate evil woman whose myth is used in this book too. She brings cold and misery and never allows Christmas. She changes people’s heart and eyes. She freezes their hearts like block of ice,
Leo .
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After I first read this book as a young boy I remember distracting my father one day whilst he was working in his shed at the bottom of our garden. I was about 11 at the time and my father was filing away at something in the vice attached to the work bench. I spotted the pincers/pliers in his old wooden toolbox and secreted them away in my knitted cardigan, fashion was not a strong point back in the 1970's, and I sheepishly snook out without being noticed. That was the beginning of the adventure ...more
Pooja
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owns-these-books
This is one of those books that takes you to a land where you feel like you've come to this place many times before,
it feels like home,
you keep hugging this book,
every time enchanted and when you return to your world.

All you feel is MAGICAL.

"I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enou
Dyuti
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fantasy lovers
Shelves: children, fantasy
What an amazingly delightful book! I regret not reading it earlier

** Before I begin, let me clarify that as I am not a Christian, I had no idea that this book was written by keeping the image of Jesus (as Aslan) in mind. I just came across this revelation on Goodreads, and it just added another layer to the story! The review below is written only by treating it as a fun-filled and action packed novel!

narnia

I had seen the movie based on the book a couple of years ago, and had really loved it! On readi
Merphy Napier
Going into the world of Narnia was like a dream. Exploring the new world and creatures and seeing it all through the eyes of these amazing characters was just the best time. Other than what was probably the biggest plot conveniance I've read since Harry Potter (view spoiler) this book was just amazing.

It had such a
Heidi The Hippie Reader
This is the story of four siblings who stumble through a wardrobe into a different world. They discover magic, monsters and their destiny.

One Christmas, when I was 11 or 12, my mother gave me The Chronicles of Narnia. It ignited a lifelong love of fantasy fiction and reading.

"Peter! Susan! It's all true. Edmund has seen it too. There is country you can get to through the wardrobe. Edmund and I both got in. We met one another in there, in the wood." pg 40.

I get the criticisms of this series- that
Kenny
Nov 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Kenny by: Waaaaay too many people
I am tempted to give this book a zero but the idea of going through the wardrobe to another land is fantastic. Everything else, however, is not fantastic, including:

The over-the-top Christian allegory.
The complete absence of dramatic tension - the characters are static and the conclusion is foregone. There is nothing to keep you reading, to challenge you, or to even vaguely interest you.
The writing is mediocre at best.
The dialogue is mediocre at best.

Awful book, it as if someone read Matthew thr
Mark my words
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"What are you doing in that wardrobe?"

"Narnia business!"
Rachel Reads Ravenously

I've been making a habit of rereading my childhood favorites, and the Narnia series is one many people read. I remember enjoying this book a lot more as a kid, even though this wasn't my favorite book in the series (that was The Horse and His Boy and The Silver Chair) I did like it.

Reading this as an adult.... it's BIZARRE. Think about it. Children go into a wardrobe and appear in a new world. There, they trust all these fairytale creatures and talking animals. On top of that, there's
Narnia Word Game! 20 20 Aug 14, 2018 09:52AM
Around the Year i...: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis 19 88 Jul 26, 2018 08:24AM
Character Elimination Game 17 95 Jul 16, 2018 02:48PM
Christian Teens U...: Favorite Narnia Novel to Movie 1 1 Jun 28, 2018 09:10AM
The Insecure Writ...: June/July 2018 Book - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe 2 9 Jun 28, 2018 08:17AM
Readers Delight: lions 1 2 Jun 25, 2018 10:35AM
Great Middle Grad...: Narnia by C. S. Lewis 6 21 May 14, 2018 08:09PM
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain #5)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Silver on the Tree (The Dark is Rising, #5)
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time Quintet, #3)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Just So Stories
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #1)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • Enoch's Ghost (Oracles of Fire, #2)
  • Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
“I hope no one who reads this book has been quite as miserable as Susan and Lucy were that night; but if you have been - if you've been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you - you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing is ever going to happen again.” 1028 likes
“I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be your affectionate Godfather, C. S. Lewis.” 941 likes