Start by marking “Desire” as Want to Read:
Desire

Desire

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  5,233 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Upon her father's death, beautiful, headstrong Lady Clare knew that she must wed, for the protection of the Isle of Desire now fell to her. Yet when her guardian's choice of prospective husband rode through her castle gates, she felt utterly betrayed. All sinewy muscle and savage steel, Sir Gareth of Wyckmere was not the poet she'd requested but a fearsome knight whose onl ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published December 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desire

Obsidian
This was a really good medieval romance. I wonder why there are not that many of these out there anymore? When I was growing up I always saw a romance cover with a heroine (bosoms heaving) being clutched by a man with a sword with a castle in the background.
Ah well.

"Desire" has Lady Clare of the Isle of Desire being forced to wed after her father's death. Her guardian suggest that she marry Sir Gareth of Wyckmere or her closet neighbor, Sir Nicholas of Seaborn. Due to Lady Clare being abducted b
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
DNF on page 74. DNF because this romance is dead to me. will not be resuscitated.

Cause of Death: Throwing against the wall. Blunt force trauma.

It feels like so many authors try to duplicate Scarlett/Rhett from Gone with the Wind but it is a miss for me. I think because they force it, and make the hero an asshole with no charming wit. Also it wasn't instalove/instalust between Scarlett and Rhett. Just my thoughts.

I mean when you wish the hero will either be poisoned or the heroine become a nun
Pamela(AllHoney)
Lady Clare's father died and her guardian is Thurston of Landry. She knows she must marry and so requests a man with certain qualities. Instead she is sent Sir Gareth of Wyckmere also known as Hellhound of Wyckmere. Sir Gareth is the bastard son of Thurston of Landry and the opportunity to have his own land appeals to him. He isn't going to let a few paltry qualities keep him from it.

Fun and clever at times. I started reading this and realized I had already read it and for whatever reason my rat
Zoe
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Ahhhh good old Amanda Quick!

Sometimes you read a few pretty bad books, trying to get to know a few new writers, get used to their styles, and you realize: man I am tired. I want a good old-fashioned romance story where the heros, while dark nad brooding, know their responsibilities and the heroins, while strong-willed and sometimes foolishly romantic, are gentle and loving. I don't know whether it is a trend in romance novels, but nowadays readers seem to love a hellcat or a heroin, warrior pri
Shari Kay
2.75 ✭

So this is a re-read for me. I think. I've owned it in paperback for years. But I didn't remember one thing about this story from my original reading. Not. One. Thing. I can kinda see why now after finishing it for the second? time.

It's not a very believable story. Gareth is a scary ass warrior who is also an intellectual and would rather be doing experiments in alchemy and reading a good book than using his sword. He is a bastard son and he wants peace and a place to call home. I'm down w
Daniella
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As an avid fan of the author, I was extremely tempted to giving this book 4 stars purely out of loyalty. But alas, I couldn't find it in my heart to overlook its flaws. Clare was simply too annoying for me, especially with all her "By Saint Hermione's (insert body part here)." GOD. When I reached half of the book, I've read so much about Saint Hermione's body parts that I simply wanted to bang my head on the wall.

Another thing was the pacing. Unlike her other novels (e.g. Ravished, Dangerous et
Maria
4/23/2009: My second favorite Jayne-Ann-Krentz-writing-as-Amanda-Quick book, I enjoy reading it each year. When I got up this morning to find it snowing on Easter in St. Louis, I grabbed Desire and spent the day cozily visiting with Clare and Sir Gareth. Note that both Desire and Mystique (my two favorites) are set in earlier times than the remaining Amanda Quicks. I'm not sure why I like these better. Usually I don't care for this period in history because it is so violent and there is no appre ...more
DA4Pups
I had not read this one in a very long time when it went on sale for a very low price, so I picked it up. Amanda Quick (aka JAYNE ANN KRENTZ) was an autobuy author for me back in the day or B.KA (before Kristen Ashley). I have read all of the early Amanda Quick books and many are favorites and re-reads (Mistress, Dangerous, Ravished, Scandal, etc.) I have held on to my paperback collection so long, that I don't know if I can part with them even if I collected my favorites on my Kindle.

Desire is
Jessi
Lady Clare knows that after her father's death, she's going to be married off. She also knows that she doesn't want to marry some lunkhead knight. She wants a gentle poet. But her liege lord only sends two men. One who kidnapped and tried to rape her to force her into marriage and the other is his bastard son, Sir Gareth of Wyckmore, also known as the Hellhound. She knows that the latter is not a good guy and at least the Hellhound can read. Plus, he seems more intelligent than the knights she's ...more
Adrianna
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Adrianna by: Saw on a bookshelf in the library
This is my favorite novel written by Amanda Quick. Clare, the heroine, creates perfume. She marries Gareth, the Hellhound of Wyckmere, and the two get caught up in an evil plot to steal an alchemist's book. One aspect that brings this tale to life is the setting, the isle of desire. It's a beautiful place and the descriptions leave me wondering if Clare and Gareth live in the garden of Eden. My favorite part of the book, though, is Clare's strong, independent nature. Quick is able to create a he ...more
Widala
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining read.
Hilarious at times, this book also had touching moments and some actions, but overall it had a lighthearted atmosphere.
Two people with very different but very similar personalities who complement each other, I just loved their battle of wit. Their interaction, conversations and arguments, flowed nicely. Although there were times when Clare just didn't know when to shut up, but Gareth's way of dealing with her was endearing.
The side characters were also interesting. The
Margarks
A familiar historical romance formula in which the female character is forced to marry to save her lands. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. It had a bit of a taming of the shrew feel to it, one of my favorite shakespeare stories (along with much ado about nothing).

All in all an enjoyable read.
Annette
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clare has written to her liege Lord to tell him her father is dead and that she realizes she must marry. She lives on an island that grows flowers and herbs and provides a very good income for her, everyone who lives on the island and of course her liege Lord. Clare has been managing things for quite some time and she considers herself the Boss. She does not really want to marry, but in order to protect the island, she knows she will have to accept a husband.

She has a recipe for a husband just
Cruth
"By Saint Hermione's elbow, my lord. You call this kissing?"

Plot:
Gareth was ready to give up the fighting and put down roots. Clare wasn't sure he was the one for her. But was willing to do her duty. Eventually.

Comments:
- Historical Romance - set in the time of Henry II (1133-89)
- 392 pages, 5492 kindle locations.
- m/f - reasonably frequent, reasonably explicit.
- Includes references to an anchorite, Beatrice. Anchorites were a type of religious hermit who tended to live in an anchorhold, a small
Marty :}
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
My mom bought me this one for Christmas and I'm very excited to read it because it's not my usual genre.
--------------------------------------------
There were so many things that bothered me, but I'll start with the one I found most important. There was little plot in this, all the 'real' action happened near the end of the novel and it all seemed rather rushed and all over the place. The author spent more than a half of the book with the arguments between the two characters. There were some w
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is one of my first books of Amanda Quick’s I’ve read. It involves an elder bastard son and a strong willed heiress. Garath has had to become a knight because his lordly father expected it. He becomes known as the Hellhound by all. Clare, on the other hand, has always had control of the Isle of Desire and the perfumes she made. When she sees that she must marry for her own protection, her guardian is Garath’s father. Garath is sent as a candidate for the marriage. It was funny to see them am ...more
Vannessa Anderson
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Desire was a well-written romance novel. Desire is Amanda Quick at her best! Desire is a great example of an author allowing the characters to write their stories. What I appreciated was Quick making the female character strong and independent, which is rarely seen in romance novels.

With mother, father and brother dead and no other relatives, Lady Clare was left to run her father’s kingdom the Isle of Desire. Sir Gareth of Wyckmere, aka the Hellhound of Wyckmere, born a bastard but raised in hi
Jamie
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book so much when I rented it from the library about 8 years ago, I was thrilled to find a paperback version for 50 cents.

I guess I've changed. The story is still cute. Lady Johanna has recently lost her father and brother. She lives on the Isle of Desire, and it needs protection, she must marry. Enter Gareth. He comes in, and is clever and sexy and this once independent young woman suddenly does whatever he wants.

Another thing that sort of annoyed me was her use of "Saint Hermione
Sandra
A very smooth Medieval romance.

Lady Clare, 23, officially mistress of the Isle of Desire since her father passed away, but in actuality since she was 12, needs to get married. It is the only way to take care of her people and the island.

Sir Gareth of Wyckmere, the Hellhound, a landless knight, bastard son of Lord Thurston, is sent by his father to marry her.

Two people used to being in control of themselves and all their retainers are going to clash, and they do. Then there is the murder of the r
Jess
Sometimes you just want to read an old school, historical romance, and Amanda Quick has you covered. Not my favorite couple ever, but a satisfying read nonetheless.
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔
Good enough story but the heroine Clare got on my last nerve. I hate people like her in RL - who do incredibly stupid things and then blame others for their actions. *sigh*
Annalisa
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of Jayne Ann Krentz's pseudonym when she writes historical. Lady Clare meets Sir Gareth of Wyckmere, aptly named the Hellhound.
ms bookjunkie
*huge happy sigh* Old favorite comfort read. Love. Love love love. It hasn't lost its magic for me, over all these years. *warm fuzzies*
Michele bookloverforever
Re-read, september, 2017 for the third time. Just delightful!
Stephanie Bolen
Was the danger element really needed? I would have liked there to be more contest between her suitors. And a better look at his relationship with his parents.
Denisa Diana
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, shit
This book has incredibly horrific writing. Everything from the writing itself to the characters and plot is horrible.
The book is wordy and overexplains everything; it's filled with exposition. There's too much dialogue and badly written dialogue, may I add.
The characters are one dimensional. Nobody has any flaws. And not only that, the way they act is not believable given the context of their social status or their past. Gareth doesn't act like the warrior he is known to be (because the writer
Belen Checa Ibergallartu
No está mal,el final muy previsible , pero bueno se deja leer la verdad
Andrea
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fine. I like her books that have more of a story outside of the romance better.
Jisela
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó mucho. Tiene muca originalidad. Los personajes estanbien estructurados y la historia tiene elementos que la hacen sumamente interesante. Recomendadísima.
Romance Novel Boo...: SOLVED - the heroine makes soap 7 44 Sep 16, 2016 02:32AM
Western and Medie...: July 2014 - BOM: Desire, by Amanda Quick 16 21 Jul 18, 2014 11:43AM
Best scene! 12 58 Jan 22, 2013 02:08PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Desire (1993) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 11:57AM
  • Hidden Talents
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...