Start by marking “The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)

The Maze Runner

(The Maze Runner #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  860,247 Ratings  ·  52,198 Reviews
EVERYTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE....

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recollection of his parents his home, or how he got where he is. His memory is empty.

But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade,a large expanse enclosed by stone walls.

Just
Published August 24th 2010 by Delacorte Press (first published October 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Maze Runner, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Linda It never gets better. NEVER! >_>

Izzy
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tween boys
Shelves: ya, wanted-to-like-it
This book was recommended for fans of the Hunger Games series, a series that has become one of my favorites. I began The Maze Runner excitedly, hoping for an equally enjoyable, dystopian adventure. I didn't find it.

The plot was intriguing and kept me reading; in fact, it was probably the only reason why I kept reading. Some writers are able to seamlessly integrate characterization and good writing with a fast-moving plot; James Dashner is not one of them. The pacing is strange, and Dashner's use
Tatiana
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who look for a mediocre sci-fi/dystopia kind of read
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
This book would have been great IF:

1) the characters had some personality

2) the main character - Thomas - weren't such a Gary Stu and showed some character development and growth instead of conveniently "remembering" important information to advance the plot

3) the book weren't filled with atrocious made-up slang - "shuck-face," really, is this supposed to be cool?

4) the villains - Grievers - were actually scary or dangerous

5) the maze had some kind of mystery about it and not limited to moving w
Joe
You know how sometimes you're running really fast from a horrible creature and, in a moment of panic, you turn around to see how close it is only to run straight into a brick wall?

I don't know what that's like either.

But that inattention to detail would probably totally screw you over because a.) now you're knocked unconscious and b.) the creature is going to devour you. Good job.

I guess this is kind of like Lot's wife looking back on Sodom only to be turned into a pillar of salt.

And it is
Meredith Holley
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the ending of LOST
Q: if you could edit this book, what would you take out?
A: the words.

. . .

Have you ever had an eight-year-old kid try to describe to you winning a level of a video game? Have you ever had a middle-aged man try to describe to you completing the games section of the New York Times? Did those experiences involve multiple conversations like this:

“What is the maze?”
“Stop asking so many questions!”

I have to say that this book was more boring than having someone tell you in painful detail about winnin
Emily May
“You are the shuckiest shuck faced shuck in the world!”

2 1/2 stars.

It's funny how just a few years can change everything - your reading tastes, your expectations, your standards... because when I read The Maze Runner in early 2011, I enjoyed it a lot. It seemed fast-paced, exciting and a little scary. Plus, I thought the slang was a nice touch.

Three years and a million dystopian/sci-fi books later and everything about me has outgrown this book. It's not terrible. I can still see why someon
Nick
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

Okay so before I start I want to say something.I personally hesitated to read this book because I heard too many bad reviews and things about this book.But let me tell you something.Yeah it has it's problems like the written style but this book has one of the best story plots I have ever read about.And believe,once you get into the book,you will not care about the writing or anything else.I am seriously so angry I haven't read this book early and even more for listening or reading those really

Miranda Reads
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
To Summarize: Wellllll...that was convenient...

Thomas wakes up in the middle of a glen in the center a enormous maze. He (along with all of the other guys in there) have no memory of life outside of the maze.

Absolutely blank slates the lot of them...wellll....mostly.

Their entire lives were conveniently erased just enough so they'd have language, motor skills and just enough memory to understand irrigation/farming but nothing of their personal lives.

Every month, a newcomer arrives to the Glade.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Sweat drenched his hair, his hands, his clothes, everything. A fear he had never known filled him to the point of insanity.”

Truth be told, I’ve been waiting to read this book for ages! I don’t even know when the first movie came out, but I think it must have been around 2014 or something like that. Anyway, because I didn’t know better back then I just went to the movies and watched the film only to find out that it’s based on a trilogy that was written by James Dashner. Of course I was very int
Nataliya
The last page is turned and all I have to say is this: What for the love of all that's good and pure was this foolishness?

...Aaaaand ..... rant!
-----
When I'm sick - the snotty phlegmy febrile kind of sick - and my brain feels sizzlingly fried, I sometimes turn to easy reading "fluff" to give my neurons a break. Sometimes this strategy backfires and the 'fluffy' book actually tries to break my long-suffering brain cells with its sheer stupidity.

It's not even mediocre; mediocrity would be elevat
Cara
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't mind their brain getting twisted
Reading this book + No sleep= brain shock . Oh more like my brain was blown into freaking little bits. I kept thinking about it after I was done. I finished it into the late hours of the night and I kept circling in my head what was going to happen next. The point is moot but I am definitely going to read the sequel The Scorch Trials.

From the start as the reader we have NO idea what is happening. All Thomas can remember is his name. Not where he came from or any specific details of his life. Ne
Inge
EDIT 09/05/2013

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Holy crap, that looks perfect.

I am way better at writing reviews for books I hated, but I’m gonna give it a go anyway.

Okay. Breathe, Inge, breathe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh, this is gooooood.

The Maze Runner was like a breath of fresh air to me. I needed a nice, clean cut from the typical YA books filled with whiny protagonists, insta-love and love triangles, and I got exactly what I asked for. This book is like a giant puzzle that you solve along with the characters. It is filled with unexpected t
Mohammed Arabey
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
As in Harry Potter Grades system, Exceed Expectations

Didn't expect I'd Like it that much. Easy fun thrilling read..Hard, Mysterious Dangerous Maze though..
الرواية فعلا فاقت توقعاتي..أولا اللغة سهلة جدا "يمكن أسرع رواية انجليزي أقرأها" يمكن لانها لفئة عمرية معينة
لكن بدأت تشدني جدا...تبدأ بأحداث غامضة وغريبة ثم ينكشف جزء بعد كل فصل لغاية ماتحس أنك متوقع كيف تنتهي...لكن تظل المفاجأت حتي أخر فصل..وأخر صفحة

أولا الموضوع
-----

ففي بداية الأحداث بيفوق بطل الرواية "توماس" ويلاقي نفسه في مكان غريب، ارض واسع
Nic
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just finished and all I can say is holy shuck! This book is awesome!

I was a little bit scared when I started this book that I wasn't going to like it as it is my first real dystopia/sci-fi book I've read. After about 110 pages it got to the point where I couldn't put it down for anything even while eating dinner I had it one hand and when bedtime came I wanted to stay up all night and read it.

The plot was fast paced, suspenseful and full of suprises. The twists and turns this book took sho
Heather
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
At first I was a bit put out with this book. I don’t know what it is about male authors, but they can be down right infuriating. Men truly do think on a different wave length and speak another language than women. I was becoming rather frustrated with the lack of information being given, and I wasn’t sure I would be able to endure that sort of aggravation for 300 plus pages. Luckily around page 60 or so, Dashner hit his stride and I became enthralled with this story.

It’s so difficult to write a
Wendy Darling
A premise full of promise, but after 150 pages, how can there still be no answers? Deliberately withholding information becomes frustrating not only for the protagonist, but for the reader as well. The fact that Thomas does not demand more answers from his fellow captives makes it difficult to sympathize with or care what happens to him. The spoilers for the book make it sound intriguing, but I can't wade through another 200 pages before it gets to the point.

Aside from a few physical difference
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

Thomas comes to the maze in a box, he has no memories of anything other than his name. He learns that he is the "GreenBean" or the newest boy to arrive. They get arrivals once a month.

There's a ton of questions about how he got there and why there is a maze that has walls that move every night.

Then there are the Grievers. Which for the life of me I could not find scary. A machine-like slug? Pour some salt on that fucker.

The next day a girl arrives.

It throws the boys into an uproar. A GIRL! an
Charlotte May
“How could anyone be evil enough to do this to us?”

Just as awesome the second time round!
Thomas wakes up in the Glade with no memory of who he is or his past. He is surrounded by boys all just like him, no idea why they are there, some have been there as long as 2 years.

They all keep the Glade running, they grow food, raise livestock and perhaps the most important job - the runners. The runners go out everyday exploring the giant maze surrounding the Glade, attempting to find an escape. Every
Brian Yahn
The Maze Runner is a masterfully plotted mystery. It's intriguing. It draws you in quick and then reveals details at just the right time to keep you turning the pages for more.

While many criticize the characters for being flat, which they are, Thomas and his fellow Maze Runners are at the very least likable. They play pranks, they crack jokes, they bond in inventive ways, and most importantly they're just fun in general. You can't help but like characters that are trapped in an almost literal He
May
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OOOOOOOH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOD
QUIERO MÁS. DIOS. INCREÍBLE. ADICTIVA. AAAHDEBRFTHNJ.
DASHNER CÁSATE CONMIGO. O MEJOR, THOMAS.

El corredor del laberinto es la primera parte de la tetralogía que lleva el mismo nombre. Es una novela cuya película salió el año pasado y que vi antes de leer el libro. Ahora que he leído el libro puedo decir que estoy fascinada con el mundo que ha creado el autor y que nadie puede morir sin leerlo.
Como comentaba, lo más fascinante de la saga es la ambien
Kate ♡
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
It's 1am, just finished this and it was aMAZEing, see what I did there ;)
Review to come!!

Review (more like gush):
Where do I even start this review...
Okay, so, The Maze Runner is absolutely incredible! I loved it so much!

This book instantly sucked me in, when I really just got it off my shelf to look at it! Haha, I had always been a bit hesitant to read this book, because I didn't think I'd like it much... Boy, was I wrong. I even broke a book-lover rule and saw the movie first, because I was nev
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. The Maze Runner isn't all bad, for dystopian YA fiction. That's kind of damning it with faint praise, but I just can't summon up a whole lot of enthusiasm for it. It was reasonably well-written and had a promising setting, but I found it a frustrating read on SO many levels:

1. Other kids keep telling the main character not to ask questions, so, so often. It was incredibly annoying and -here's the capper - it turns out there's no real reason for that. Other than hiding the Big Mystery
Ellie
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Well. There was....well, first of all, I have to get a cup of water because I have a major headache.

*Goes to get cup of water*
*Returns*

Aah. Much better.

Okay, first second of all, my friend recommended this book. So I requested it, and (foolish me) left it lying on the table where I do my homework, in plain sight of my parents. Oops. So THEN my dad says, at dinner:
"Oh, Ellie, by the way--I borrowed that book of yours, Runner? Or something?"
*gulps nervously* "The Maze Runner?"
"Yeah, that's it.
Neal Shusterman
I enjoyed the Maze Runner, but not as much as I wanted to. It was a great concept, and the story was compelling, the characters and plot twists interesting, and there was no limit to Dashner’s creativity. My big problem was that the characters were manipulated by the story, and not the other way around.
There were so many times when the characters would have figured things out. They’re supposed to be brilliant kids, and yet they are continually clueless about things that are pretty obvious to th
mark monday
| oblique spoilers ahead |

A is for Apocalypse! A modern craze; a timeless fantasy. What shall bring us to this place? Can there be life after such an event? And if so… what kind of life would that be?

B is for Banzai! “Banzai” is a traditional Japanese exclamation meaning “ten thousand years”. A Banzai charge is a last, desperate charge.

C is for Cube! “Cube” is a 1997 film by Vincenzo Natali. The characters in this film are trapped in a kind of maze, and must pass from one cube-shaped room to
Whitley Birks
Jun 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
See the chapter x chapter breakdown on my blog

As if the simplistic and "tell-y" writing in this book weren't bad enough, we also have to content with some truly atrocious pacing, inconsistent characterization, logic gaps out the wazoo, a Gary Stu of a main character, and an ending that kicks this book up into whole new levels of WTFery.

The majority of this book is people jealously withholding information that gets revealed a few chapters later, which makes it painfully obvious that all the not-t
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1), James Dashner
The Maze Runner is a series of young adult dystopian science fiction novels written by American author James Dashner. The series consists of The Maze Runner (2009), The Scorch Trials (2010) and The Death Cure (2011), as well as two prequel novels, The Kill Order (2012) and The Fever Code (2016), and a companion book titled The Maze Runner Files (2013).
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: پنجم سپتامبر سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: دونده هزارتو؛ نوشته: جیمز دشنر؛ مترجم: آیدا
Forrest
Preamble: I apologize up front about the spoilers in this review. They are hidden, but if you don't want to know some of the spoilers, don't click on them! Fair warning!

Review: I read this at the encouragement of one of my kids, who dearly loves this book. So let me state right up front, buddy, I'm glad you loved this book. Now I'm going to express my opinion. Please remember that we're all allowed to have our opinions, even if mine is wrong.

Now, I didn't hate The Maze Runner by any means. But
Ariel
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
My experience with this book turned out to be a unique one: for most of the book I was thinking that it had some redeeming ideas but that it just wasn't good enough, but the last third really turned everything around. Let's discuss.

I bought this book over a year ago because of the Dystopia craze.. having read so much dystopia though, I wasn't able to pick it up. It's been a while though, and I picked it up at a time where I was excited for it which turned out for the best.

I was first stricken wi
Rusty Grey

BECAUSE IT ALL STARTED DUE TO THIS ONE
. I was never much of a reader as a child . The thought of wasting my precious free time , by reading a book , which I may or may not like , was simply appalling for my childish mind. And while I was in middle grade I was pretty busy with cricket and football. So I never even gave a thought to reading till a friend suggested me 'The Maze Runner' in 9th grade. I am really glad he did.

Yeah . This will always be my first read. And I loved it . A gu
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay so I saw the movie when it came to dvd and I loved it, but here is the faces I got when I said I hadn't read the book yet ↓

I know right? I loved the book. I will say I watched the second movie and didn't like it but I'm going to keep on with the books and see.

Welcome To The Maze!

Imagine, if you will, you wake up in some elevator thing and you have no idea what is going on or your past. You just end up in some place with a bunch of dudes that are calling you greenie until the next person c
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Maze Runner Series By James Dashner - Reading from 'The Maze Runner' from October 15th 2018 789 574 Oct 28, 2018 05:51AM
The Maze Runner 2 7 Oct 24, 2018 01:19PM
Summary and Review of The Maze Runner 1 2 Oct 17, 2018 10:24PM
The Maze Runner 3 11 Oct 09, 2018 09:10AM
Who are the characters named after in this book? 61 4002 Sep 27, 2018 04:35PM
All About Fantasy!: Series Discussion - The Maze Runner 5 4 Sep 03, 2018 08:22AM
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5-#2.5)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Unwind (Unwind, #1)
  • The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Grace
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.

The Maze Runner (5 books)
  • The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, #0.5)
  • The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.6)
  • The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)
  • The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3)
“If you ain’t scared… you ain’t human.” 1847 likes